PDA

View Full Version : Bad Luck

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 21st, 2002, 03:28:22 PM
A woman of obvious wealth sat moping in the back of the bar sipping at her red wine. Her hair was perfectly styled to stay up and out of her face and the business suit was clean and pressed, and quite formal. It wasn't one of those revealing suits that offered a lot of leg with lots of material.

Aliya was utterly out of place and displeased beyond measure to be stuck on Arcan. She stuck out like a sore thumb and was surrounded by Jedi and Aliens. Two of her most hated things.

She had no choice. Her ship had broken down and was in the middle of repairs. All that Aliya could hope for was a quick fix to whatever was wrong and would not have to stay her for the night.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Aug 21st, 2002, 03:35:47 PM
BURRRRRRRRP!!!

Nothing burped better than ham. Or more than a whole one. Cirr rocked back on the hind legs of his chair, supported by his tail as he contentedly picked at his teeth with a shard of a rib bone. Before him, sprawled on the table in a haphazard heap, was what was left of a slaughterhouse hog. And what was left wasn't much at all. Mainly larger bones that were impractical to crunch up, and whatever other debris Cirrsseeto's sloppy culinary habits had left behind. He eyed a solitary remaining shank of ham with half-opened blue eyes. He was stuffed to the brim. Even for him, it was some doing. Sighing, he reached for the leg, burying a wide, happy chomp into a meaty portion, when his eyes happened to glance toward the bar. Slowly...he pulled away a bite, but didn't chew.

Aljijya....

He half-spoke through a stuffed mouth. He'd hoped he'd never have to see her again!

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 21st, 2002, 03:43:42 PM
Her hold body tensed with the sound of that obnoxious release of smelly air. It caused her to be sick to her stomach by the lack of manners that belong to the creator of suck a perverse display in rudeness.

She pushed her drink away and dared to look up at the source and blanched.

It was Cirrsseeto, which didn't surprise her. He was the worst alien thing that held no regards to good manners ... or standards. It was also Cirrsseeto looking completely aghast that he saw her sitting in the bar.

Some comfort was gleaned from him staring at her. The poor fearsome cat-thing was completely afraid by her presence.

Which served well for Aliya, as she settled back, wondering if she should attempt to drink her wine again. Maybe the cat-thing would leave her in peace.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Aug 26th, 2002, 02:17:43 PM
Swallowing, and tidying up, Cirrsseeto reluctantly approached Aliya, ears low in cautious respect. He towered over her, and spoke softly, tail swishing silently behind.

Hello Aljijya.

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 27th, 2002, 07:50:04 PM
His complete demeanor told Aliya that he didn't want to be around her. Why was he here then. At her table. Saying hi?

She was cautious as he approached. Her posture was straight and her tone was all business. "Cirrsseeto. Something that I can do for you?"

And Aliya hoped there wasn't.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Aug 28th, 2002, 02:47:04 PM
He shook his head quickly. Nothing. Nothing at all. In fact, the way she glared at him made him a little nervous!

No. Not forrr me? jYou asssk Sssaa? Sssanjisss? Them, majybe?

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 28th, 2002, 02:53:56 PM
The glare turned into a stare that burned hard into the Cizerack's eyes. The business tone vanished, replaced by a hateful tone and scowl. "I want nothing to do with that scoundrel. Prent disappeared and left me high and dry. No money, no nothing. He can rot in the mines he owns for all I care."

Sanis Prent
Aug 28th, 2002, 03:04:17 PM
Nice to see you too, Aliya!

(My eyes rose to meet hers from across the room, as I interrupted my duet with a glass of Makers. She had every right to be mad at me. I'd given her a window desk job on the planet with the worst view in the galaxy. For somebody so cosmopolitan, it must've felt like she was treading water for a lifetime. And I'd never gotten to the subject of that bonus...)

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:46:12 PM
"Dug his way out of the pits of Kessel too soon ..." She barely said it over a whisper, gritting her teeth together.

The temptation of throwing her drink in his face was overwhelming because the satisfaction of the act would end too soon.

She tried the diplomatic approach instead. "Whatever it is that you want ... Go away. Unless you're actually going to pay me." Her jaw was set, determined to be rid of the scoundrel. Aliya was sick of Prent and his games. And his lack of follow through.

Sanis Prent
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:50:40 PM
I've been meaning to get in touch with you about that.

(I smiled)

But business has kept me away from Kessel for a while, and everything's been running so smoothly since you got the corporation set up.

What did we agree on? 100 thousand?

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 28th, 2002, 08:59:41 PM
"Hmm..." A wry grin came across her face while leaning back in the booth.

"Really? I seem to recall never settling our account issue but you're in the smashball park."

Lazily she ran a finger along the top of the booth and did some mental calculations. "Been two months since you were suppose to pay me. Factor in a late fee, my own personal problems due to lack of funds, and your own admission that things are running swimmingly."

Her head cocked forward with a glint in those green eyes. "150,000 credits."

Sanis Prent
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:09:27 PM
(I paused in front of my drink)

Really now. I knew you were devious, but I never knew you were an accountant, Aliya.

(I gestured to the seat opposite)

150 eh? How about 175?

(My smile broadened)

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:43:54 PM
She didn't move an inch. The fact that Prent went higher in the offer then lower made Aliya cautious. "What's the catch?"

Sanis Prent
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:45:47 PM
(I nodded)

Sharp, too. Might as well be a lawyer while you're at it.

The catch is...I'd like a repeat performance.

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:51:14 PM
The conversation was going to have to be more subtle now then exchanging words across a room. It did have ears after all.

She picked up her glass between two fingers by the stem and walked over to Sanis' table; cautious in each step while eying him intently.

Sitting down, Aliya crossed her legs and set down her wine. "Please be more specific."

Sanis Prent
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:00:40 PM
You've got a knack for administration. I'd like to keep you on some projects I'm overseeing.

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:17:13 PM
She relaxed a bit, but Aliya was looking for anything to back out this. The figure was keeping her seated. "And what would that be exactly and more importantly, will there be regular checks or am I going to have to collect ever .... two .... months?"

Temperature in the room dropped several degrees with that.

Sanis Prent
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:24:52 PM
This time...there will be more structure, and more perks.

(I slid a datapad with a GNN broadcast on it over to her)

Well, between accounting and law...what do you think about the journalism business?

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:28:06 PM
An eyebrow quirked upward as she studied the data-pad.

"You've got to be kidding me." She looked at Sanis over the rim of her glasses with a smile. It was the first genuine smile of the night. "I thought you were in the news, not owner of the news."

Sanis Prent
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:31:42 PM
First rule of thumb, is that I hate being pigeonholed.

(I winked, bringing up a picture of the GNN CEO)

I've made my way to the board of trustees, and put up enough capital from our Kessel operation into this venture. We've got 40% shareholding, and that gives us enough say-so to do things. I figure you could coordinate, and help to focus their interests)

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:29:11 PM
"This white haired suit is suppose to sell me," she said unimpressed, tapping a finger on the data-pad. "Keeping a group of CEO's busy with extraneous details will bore them to tears. They talk money. How to get more of it and doing it the cheapest way. I highly doubt they would listen to just me."

Sanis Prent
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:05:48 PM
Well, as long as we've got shareholding power, they'll listen. I've made sure of that much. But with that influence...I've got some seriously powerful and unconventional artillery. There are some in the galaxy who can't be scratched by lightsabers and blaster bolts, but can be brought to their knees by public scandal.

(I leaned back in my seat, hoping she saw where I was going)

You can set up a steering committee, with my approval. Mr. Spearman will likely approve. That way, we have an understanding. Not to mention, a position of that kind of clout will make your stint on Kessel look like volunteer work.

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:55:13 PM
"This is very delicate, Prent." She slid the data-pad across the table back to him. "I have two questions and then I'll think on this."

She took off her glasses and started to clean them off with a cleanly pressed handkerchief from the jacket pocket. "How can I trust you to keep your end of the deal this time."

Sanis Prent
Aug 29th, 2002, 10:08:49 PM
Its a better desk job than staring out at Kessel wasteland. Its not a golden guarantee, but take it to heart.

(I paused)

That, and you'll arrange payment with GNN's infrastructure. For all intents and purposes...the credits are cleaner than the soap you shower with, and thats complementing.

A Nameless NR Tech
Aug 29th, 2002, 11:22:12 PM
In a room in the Living quarters.....

The figures in there were hidden by the darkness of the room, lit up only my monitors that recorded the movements of being in and around the Bar and Grill. Set up in the days when Tohmahawk virtually ruled the place with a Rail Gun, it had several transpoders and anti-jammers to make sure conversations were caught. There were a few beings in here, identities indistinct as they viewed.

"Prent again. Doing business right under the Jedi's noses. It makes you wonder when they will stop him"

"They wont. As long as he feels comfortable, it's a good place to keep an eye on him. Or maybe they just dont care"

One figure in the backgrund nodded. "Correct, the majority dont. But I care. He could hurt our interests"

Silence for a second, before a female voice spoke up. "I sense it's nearly time to remove the Alliance and put our own beings in there."

Silence in the room. Until..

"Agreed with you I am. But we have to do it without the Master knowing he is being manipulated."

"Difficult that will be. He's no fool and more powerful than he lets on"

"Do not worry" said the woman "I'll handle that gentlemen. Let us in the meantime formulate our plans. We still have the upper hand while they have not found out about us. Let us make sure than when they do, it will be too late"

Aliya Vahlshalynn
Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:18:19 PM
Neatly tucking the cloth away, she pushed her glasses to the bridge of her nose in one simple elegant movement. "I don't know. Sounds too good. And besides." With a sideways glance, she openly admitted, "You and I both know I still hate you. Why even bother with me when I most likely will say no."