PDA

View Full Version : Sum of All Fears- Prequel?

ReaperFett
Aug 19th, 2002, 10:32:34 AM
Just got back from watching this great little film. But something bothered me. This was supposed to be a prequel, yeah?

Figrin D'an
Aug 19th, 2002, 02:01:58 PM
well.... yes and no.

The film, because of the change in actors playing Jack Ryan, was set up to be a prequel to the other films. However, in Clancy's books, The Sum of All Fears follows Clear and Present Danger chronologically.

This has been kind of troubling to me, because if they intend to continue to make the films with Ben Affleck, and make them as "prequels" to the Alec Baldwin/Harrison Ford films... it bascially screws up the character development for Ryan in the rest of the books... to make it fit, they would have to shred so much of Clancy's story in both Debt of Honor and Executive Orders... I just don't know how they could pull it off and still keep it even remotely close to books...

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 19th, 2002, 02:15:55 PM
I'm reading Exec. Orders right now...eeriely simliar to RL events in Iraq and Iran... I feel smarter when I read Clancy, its an education. The movies I haven't seen.

Well I saw The Hunt For Red October (with Alec Baldwin as Ryan) and The Sum of All Fears (with Affleck) so I should probably rent ACAPD or something to see Ford as that character. :)

ReaperFett
Aug 19th, 2002, 02:17:07 PM
Okay, thanks

Still, best of the movies, the twist was great

CMJ
Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:41:47 PM
I finally was "Sum" last night and rather liked it. A very solid thriller in my book.