PDA

View Full Version : Fear is...

Kakita Yoshi
Aug 19th, 2002, 06:10:34 AM
...the odd coloured, odd smelling liquid that starts leaking from the roof of a tiny twin prop plane that is ment to get you from London to home in less than an hour.

This all occuring in mid flight combines to make a usually wary flyer an improvised plumber, holding a rag above my head to staunch the steady drip-drip for about 55mins...

Alright, 55mins is up and we descend steadily towards the safe hard concrete runway which I soo love watching.

Fuel stained rag still in hand we ZIG-ZAG down the runway, before shooting (at what seemed at the time incredible speed) down a side runway and lurching to a halt.

All of this, combined with a previous 10 hours of flying and nervous exhaustion caused by a lack of sleep or aformentioned flights inexplicably gives me the energy of a crack fiend and I procede to bounce around the cabin, or so it seems.

The last straw was a "Watto-esque" mechanic taking the rag from my hand, giving it a sniff and telling me;

"Smells odd dont it"

FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 19th, 2002, 06:12:35 AM
o_O

Kelt Simoson
Aug 19th, 2002, 06:44:43 AM
Fear gives men wings :)

Kakita Yoshi
Aug 19th, 2002, 07:22:15 AM
Which is handy when what you fear is the wings falling off :|

Loki Ahmrah
Aug 19th, 2002, 08:14:56 AM
I'm terrified of flying these days, I would've gone hysterical had I been in your position! :eek

Darth Viscera
Aug 19th, 2002, 09:00:07 AM
Flying isn't so bad. It's getting back onto the ground safely that's the trick. Honestly.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Aug 19th, 2002, 01:16:23 PM
o_o...........

Dasquian Belargic
Aug 19th, 2002, 01:20:28 PM
My grandmother flew a plane a few days ago, as part of a birthday present. My poor sucker of a cousin Dominic went up in it with her, must have been suicidal! She ended up almost doing a barrel roll :x

Chase Starwalker
Aug 19th, 2002, 05:10:22 PM
:lol

ReaperFett
Aug 19th, 2002, 05:37:26 PM
LOL! :)

Sanis Prent
Aug 19th, 2002, 08:47:54 PM
So I take it you're not in Florida anymore :(

And I thought you'd come visit me in T-town...

...EVERYBODY SHOULD!

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 20th, 2002, 12:31:07 AM
I did. Hmph.

Jehova Eaven
Aug 20th, 2002, 03:07:59 AM
Oh come on. Flying isn't so hard, the trick is to fall and forget that you're falling and miss the ground.

Dark Lord Dyzm
Aug 20th, 2002, 03:53:22 AM
I want to learn to fly, going to buy one of those small 2 man areo-planes. With the engine in the back. They have a club up here in washington. Perfect begaining plane. Long wings, short body. Looks kinda like the B-2 Spirit. Very nice looking, and can go a good speed.

Or build my own plane using a lawn mower engine. Like this guy I heard about while back. Built a flying 1 man plane with a 8 hp engine, and it flew good.

Saarrreeaa Meorrrei
Aug 21st, 2002, 02:30:29 AM
"Fly Away Home" had some dinky one man plane things in it. :) Build one of those. :)

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Aug 21st, 2002, 04:48:46 PM
It also had a bunch of Canadian Geese, which were cute until they grew up. Eh... anyway.

Kakita, I have an all-new respect for you. :) I love flying, it doesn't bother me in the least - but having something that smells odd drip on me from the ceiling halfway through the flight would have tempted me to have a spontaneous heart attack, and/or sue the airline (depending, I suppose, on what the substance actually turned out to be).

Idolon Mortiferus
Aug 23rd, 2002, 02:26:00 PM
[dripping stuff turns out to be prime 10-yr-old malt whiskey which the pilot was attempting to smuggle in. *Sits there for the whole hour holding bottle under drip*]
wishful thinking eh? :crack

Khendon Sevon
Aug 23rd, 2002, 03:32:15 PM
<---wants to jump out of a plane; my dad usta' do that in spec. forces, sounds fun

Telan Desaria
Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:37:43 PM
From personal experience, parachutin no fun. Especially en done out of an Amerikan made c-130.

I still prefer the sttly grace of ships. If it take a week to arrive, and I could have been there in hours, I say so be it. Luxury, sophistication, and grace. Those are all wort the time.

And since when did you hear of an ornate plane, as opposed to the HMS Victory.

That could still fulfill its primary mission!

Darius Van-Derveld
Aug 24th, 2002, 02:55:45 AM
Glorious, I agree with the good Telan, ships (specially with the HMS tacked on the front) are such a more civilised method of travel; but hey (island dweller = biased)

I do have to say, the american internal "whisperliners" i think they are called, are quite pleasant to travel in...all quiet like.