PDA

View Full Version : It's all about you. (Closed)

Zeke
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:54:48 PM
A woman staggered through the halls of the huge starship, seeking the medbay. Two workers came from the opposite direction and saw her collapse.

"Ma'am, are you alright?" asked one.

She shook her head and swallowed hard.

"M...my baby..."she gasped.

"Holy...she's giving birth..." said the other.

Together the men helped her to the med bay. The nurses set her on a bed and a doctor ushered the men out. As they waited, they talked.

"Rasputin, when ya gonna have a kid? We need someone to be your successor as captain."

"Never. Men can't give birth." Rasputin said with a jolly smile

"You got a wife, Olga, right? Let her do that for ya."

"Yeah, the 1st secret to true happiness is a girl that loves ya."

"How many secrets, Cap'n Peris?"

"4."

A sudden cry startled the men and the doctor came out, holding a baby boy. He cried loudly and kicked his little feet.

"Sure has allota energy..." mumbled Rasputin. The Doctor looked sadly at the men.

"She died...right as we cut the umbilical...he needs a name and a family..."

******************3 1/2 Years Later***************
Olga set her newborn daughter down to rest near the nameless 3 year old child.

"Yes, my widdly May's so cute she is! You lay here nest to the namless boy and be a nice girl and sleep? Yes you will! You will!" She spoke in the odd baby talk favored by parents of infants. She left the sleeping infants and turned out the light, cracking the door so they could be heard. The little boy rolled and hugged the newborn girl...

*******************4 Years Later**********************
"May! May Peris, you come here to dinner!" Rasputin laughed heartily as he watched her daughter playing. "You too, uh...um...curses, what was that 7 year old's name? Uhm...Zeke? Ah, it don't matter, Zeke! Come to dinner!"

The boy looked up.

"...Zeke?" he repeated.

"Yeah, Zeke!" said May. She grabbed his hand and dragged him to dinner.

********************Present Day*********************
Zeke approached an old tavern on a planet of flat, grassy plains. His stomach growled, and he remembered his mentor's call.
"Zeke, to dinner! 3rd secret to true happiness is food and drink, alcohol especially!" Zeke laughed as he remembered and entered the tavern, taking a seat in a booth near the door.

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:04:10 AM
Fights. Beer. Tips.

That was the life of May Peris, a waitress of the tavern named Ol' Ruzzo's. Scoundrels from all over the galaxy came here to stop and drink, their rowdy laughter hurting her ears.

"And what would you like to drink?"

"I'll have a Bantha Blaster."

"Coming right up."

After writing down his friends' orders on her notepad, May walked back towards the barkeep and slapped it down infront of him.

"Have fun, John. Tonight we got a bunch of rowdy ones - bound to be a fight."

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:09:10 AM
Zeke sat calmly, quietly, studying the menu and avoiding the ruffians around him. He saw a waitress talking to the bartender...he hoped idly she'd take his order quickly so he'd get outta there...

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:27:09 AM
After John had prepared the drinks, May placed them on a tray and walked back over to her customer's table. She placed the drinks on the table and was about to leave when one wrapped his arm around her waist and tugged her in.

"Come on now, we're paying your tip so shouldn't you do something to earn it?"

Rolling her eyes, she picked up his hand and dropped it, beginning to walk away.

"Nobody ever walks away from me, especially a woman!"

He unclipped his blaster and began to lose fire upon the place. Immediately, May reached down and took hers out of its holster, returning it. Diving underneath a vacant table to take cover, she began shooting towards his legs so he'd drop to the ground.

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:38:20 AM
Zeke put the menu down calmly as a blasterbolt burst into the wall inches from his head. Suddenly, he was behind the big guy with the gun.

"Dude! No need for angry! Angry never made a man smile."

Quoted directly from Rasputin Peris, the self-proclaimed God of Happy.

"Secret 1 to true happiness is a woman that loves ya. O'course, the way you act, that one's basically down the drain. Oh well, can't have 'em all. Secret 2 is some good friends."

Zeke examined the table the big guy had been sitting at.

"Got that one covered. Secret 3 is alcohol, but youre full o' that already. Secret 4 is to make other people happy...I'll bet that's the one that does the trick! Go! Make someone happy!"

He ushered the men out the door and turned back to those in the tavern.

"And secret 5...Well, wouldn't ya know it...forgot it again..."

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 03:09:27 PM
May crawled out from under the table and shoved her blaster back into its holster.

"There is no fifth key, chap."

She grinned and made her way over to him.

"So ... Where'd you learn the four keys of Happiness ...?"

Her father had taught the crew of his ship this a long time ago .. How did this kid know ? At least those men didn't do too much damage. Already the other patrons/customers were eating and talking like nothing had happened.

Too bad she didn't get any tips.

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 03:28:05 PM
"I know there wasn't originally, but still...I feel like there's a fifth one...Wait a minute! How do you know? Cap'n only taught the keys of happiness to his crew and family!"

Who was this chick? If she knew the keys, she must've been on the crew. But he didn't recognize her at all! Maybe a passenger that overheard once. He dismissed it.

"Here. For your trouble."

He gave her 20 credits, then took his seat again and picked up the menu.

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 03:53:58 PM
Raising an eyebrow, she accepted the credits and shoved them into her pockets, then followed him to his table. She took out her notepad and pen and said:

"Have you decided what you wanted to order ?"

At the same time, her mind was rushing through the possibilities. He hadn't told her where he found out about the Keys of Happiness, which only intrigued her more. But business came first, so she patiently awaited his response.

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 03:59:43 PM
"Um...I'd like some brandy and the special."

He handed her the menu.

"When you bring it back, I'd like to talk to you."

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 04:07:39 PM
Scribbling down his order, she took the menu and shot him a questioningly look.

"Talk to me ? Well, okay ..."

She went over to the kitchens and pushed open the double doors, walking inside. "Chef," she shouted out. "We've got someone wanting the special."

Her voice was barely heard above the clanging of pots and pans, and steam filled the kitchens. Finally, she heard a response.

"I knew it ! I knew someone would appreciate my talents."

Rolling her eyes, May walked back outside and went over to John.

"Stir up a brandy for that fine gentleman over there."

"No problem."

After John had fixed Zeke up a brandy, she went back into the kitchens, asking if it was done yet. Being told that it would only take three more minutes, she waited patiently until the chef handed her the plate. Taking it, she put it on a platter then went back outside, over to John. She took the brandy then went over to Zeke's table, placing his meal infront of him.

The mashed potatoes were covered with a thick gravy, accompanied by a side-dish of string beans. The porkchops were soft and covered with a different type of gravy, with a few cooked golden mushrooms. The aroma was mouthwatering.

May pulled out a chair and sat down across from Zeke.

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 04:12:13 PM
Zeke's face lit up as he took his knife and fork.

"Hey! Cool!"

His eyes shone with tears of joy as he started up on his meal. After a few seconds one of the porkchops was gone, and Zeke wiped his mouth.

"What's your name?"

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 04:21:31 PM
"May."

She never gave her last name out to anybody, partly because she would never see them again. She watched at how fast he gulped down the porkchops and then laughed, leaning back in her seat.

"And yours ?"

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 04:24:40 PM
"M'name's Zeke!"

He mixed the string beans with the mashed potatoes and started in on them.

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 04:29:32 PM
"Zeke ?"

That name sounded so familiar that she was actually disturbed by it. She watched with a frown as he set in on his mashed potatoes and string beans.

"Were you brought up on a ship ?"

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 05:31:02 PM
"Sure was! Born and raised on one! Mom died and dad was AWOL, so the crew took me in."

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 06:47:40 PM
A flood of memories washed over May after Zeke had spoken.

A baby played with a rag doll and a boy watched her curiously. "Baby May," he said. "I wanna play, too!" She stuck her bottom lip out and got on her hands and knees, beginning to crawl away. "Aww, May, come back !"

The baby defiantly sat down with her back turned to him. A few shuffling noises were heard and then he was behind her and took the rag doll. In a second, she began to bawl as she flung herself on the floor.

"What iz going on in 'dis room ?!" A woman's voice thundered as she walked in - Olga. "ZEKE ! Give May back her doll." He just smiled and began to make it prance around infront of May. Within seconds, she stopped crying and began to laugh.

"ZEKE !!!"

May nearly leapt out of her chair and went over to him, giving him a giant bear-hug.

... He, of course, had no idea what was going on.

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 06:52:27 PM
"Huh? Wh-what the...?"

Zeke was forced to put his food aside as she was suddenly in his lap hugging him.

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 07:46:58 PM
May continued to hug him until finally she realized that Zeke probably didn't remember who she was.

"Zeke .. It's me, May ! May Peris !"

She let go of him and stood up slowly.

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:11:33 PM
"May?"

Why did that ring a bell? He put a hand on his head, then...

"What's your name?" she asked.

"I don't have one."

"Why not? I have one. My name's May."

"I remember! Cap'n's li'l girl! Jeez, you've grown!"

He stood and hugged her now.

"Where ya been? I thought you were killed in the pirate attack!"

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:15:38 PM
"Me ? Killed ? Pft."

Rolling her eyes, she placed her hands on her hips while gazing sternly at him.

"Come on, now .. You should know that a bunch of rowdy men wouldn't keep me down !"

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:17:20 PM
"Especially after that ruckus a second ago! Sit back down. Want a drink or some food?"

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:19:53 PM
"Nah .. Even if I did, I'd have to be the one who got it."

She sat back down in the other chair and crossed her legs, her eyes sparkling a bit.

"So, what brings you to this dumphole ?"

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:22:37 PM
"Traveling around. I got sick of being holed up at the GJO and decided to go see what was up. I call it a 'noble quest', but really its just me wandering aimlessly. What brought you to this dumphole?"

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:25:03 PM
She shrugged.

"Had to find a job."

Then:

"You're a Jedi ?!"

Her eyes widened slightly and then she laughed.

"I'd like to see me being a Jedi. Can you imagine ? May Peris - Noble Jedi who hates sharing."

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:30:29 PM
"Ha! I remember that. I took your doll, and you cried, then I started messin' with it and you calmed down. You got so touchy over your stuff."

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:33:39 PM
"Shut up."

She grinned and leaned forward somewhat.

"A pirate took that same doll from me .. Guess he didn't know that toddlers could bite."

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:35:55 PM
"Yeah, what a shame. Poor guy."

Zeke grinned and cleared his plate, shoving it aside.

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:37:26 PM
"Guess I better take that, then."

Standing back up, May took his plate and walked into the kitchens, putting it in the sink along with several other dirty dishes. Going back out, she went over to Zeke's table.

"Want anything else ?"

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:40:10 PM
"Yes...I want you..." Zeke grinned at the shocked look on her face. "To sit and chat and let the customers serve themselves. We haven't seen each other for years! I wanna know what's up."

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:44:13 PM
At first, when his words trailed off, May raised her eyebrows. What ? He wanted her ? Then he finished his sentence, and she almost laughed.

"Well, they won't be too pleased."

Her eyes looked around the room then landed back on Zeke.

"But then again, they never are .. So, tell me, how's life treating you ? Got a lady friend ?"

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:49:39 PM
"Um...sorta, but not quite." Zeke rubbed the back of his neck. "There's a girl named Ciara...but she's not really a lady friend...I hung out with her at a party once."

Zeke lowered his head.

"Zeke's still single! Secret 1 functions not!"

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:54:37 PM
She chuckled and slapped her hand down on the table.

"Go get them, tiger !"

Leaning back in her chair, May crossed her legs and thought for a moment.

"Come to think of it .. I haven't got someone. Damn, I guess the smell in this place is really affecting my personal life."

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 08:58:46 PM
Zeke sat back as well, and found he had to make a concious effort to look her in the eye. His mind turned back to the skirmish a second ago.

"You get that kinda treatment alot?"

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 09:03:51 PM
"Yeah .. I'm just used to it now."

She let her gaze slide away from his eyes down towards the table. She wasn't lying, but saying it outloud made her feel .. naive.

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 09:05:47 PM
"I see. Have you always been able to defend yourself from them?"

May Peris
Aug 18th, 2002, 09:07:26 PM
"Good God yes ! Nobody takes advantage of May Peris."

A frown crossed her face as she looked back up at Zeke.

"You, of all people, should know that."

Zeke
Aug 18th, 2002, 09:14:19 PM
"Well, yeah, but...remember the one time...when those kids were bullying you? You were 5, and you had these real nice dolls you'd got for your birthday. They stole them and kept throwing them, and you ran from one to the next but they kept throwing it away as you came close? I caught the dolls on one pass and hit the kid on the back of the head, like your dad used to do when he wanted us to shut up, but we weren't listening. The other guy ran off. I worried about you alot after that."

May Peris
Aug 19th, 2002, 05:38:00 AM
"Well, I'm older now ..."

Her brow furrowed slightly and then she broke out into a grin.

"Nice to know that someone alive cares about me."

Zeke
Aug 19th, 2002, 07:51:30 AM
"Yeah...Since the attack I've been hopping from ship to ship...nobody likes an eternally happy guy. But at the Order they seem okay with me. I got plenty of friends. How about you? You made any friends?"

May Peris
Aug 20th, 2002, 08:01:59 PM
"No, not really .. Except for John over there."

She moved her head slightly in the direction of the bartender.

"But we just talk while we're at work, then after ... Well, he's got a family."

Zeke
Aug 20th, 2002, 08:17:03 PM
"So do you." Zeke pointed it out like it was obvious.

May Peris
Aug 20th, 2002, 08:39:45 PM
"No, I don't !"

She slammed her fist onto the table, causing it to shake.

"Not anymore !"

Zeke
Aug 20th, 2002, 09:25:22 PM
"Well what the heck am I then?" Zeke asked incredulously. He took her hand and sat next to her. "Angry never made a woman smile, either."

May Peris
Aug 21st, 2002, 06:19:39 PM
"You, are a Jedi. Definitely not of my bloodline."

Sighing slightly, May's brown eyes gazed over Zeke then looked at her hand. It was being held by Zeke, but strangely enough, she made no move.

"....."

Zeke
Aug 21st, 2002, 06:43:39 PM
Zeke put an arm around her.

"Like that matters!" Zeke could think of nothing else to say, but held her silently, searching for something better to say.

May Peris
Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:08:51 AM
She sighed, keeping as still as possible.

"I just don't know anymore, but hey! At least you're alive."

It took an effort to produce a smile on her face, but nonetheless, it was there. She wrapped her arms around Zeke and hugged him again.

"Great to see meh buddy back!"

Zeke
Aug 23rd, 2002, 08:45:15 AM
"Good to see you too...hey, why not come to the Order with me? It'd be better than here, that's for sure."

He returned her hug with a genuine smile.

May Peris
Aug 26th, 2002, 12:03:58 AM
".. The Order?"

For a moment, May's face was blank before it registered that he was talking about where he lived - with the Jedi.

"Well, anything would be better than here."

Zeke
Aug 26th, 2002, 12:07:08 AM
"It's settled! We'll pay for my meal, then I'll take ya there. I'll carry you into the place in my arms!"

He grinned happily. May was gonna live with him! It'd be just like back in the day!

May Peris
Aug 26th, 2002, 05:09:39 AM
"Okay!"

May grinned enthusiastically now and let go of Zeke, standing up.

"Then pay and let's get out of here!"

Zeke
Aug 26th, 2002, 10:38:43 AM
Zeke handed over his cash to the bartender, then picked May up and headed out the door.

"Think you might try and be a Jedi?"