PDA

View Full Version : Cars make me feel good

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:23:15 PM
Especially my brother's rally car.

It's just been repaired after going backwards into trees at 120kph (Yes, they are built that tough to withstand and survive those type of impacts) and he has just got a carbon fibre slide body quad runner fuel injection and intake setup going, plus rose joined rear suspension (Translation - quad runner slide body means more airflow and a good deal more torque down low, caron fibre for almost zero weight - he's a chemist so he bakes it himself, rose joints are for better axle location and hence better handling) and comes over, asking if I can test it.

Hey, no argument from me..... so in's I get and rip off.

1040kgs and 250 hp make for quite violent acceleration, as well as 9000rpm redline. 160k/ph and 400 meters later, throw the thing into a corner and leave two black lines with the now 140kph power slide. Out in the industrial area, handbrake turn at 80kph, go into a series of high speed helicopters, break out and blast out of the resulting smoke screen, rip through a few other corners, then set up a magnificent power slide into a 90 degree right..... and end up going past a police car sideways.

Whoah. Bad. Real bad. No time to think, just get the hell out of there as fast as humanly possible, with police car turing around and coming onto full lights and sirens. Call ahead to home, get them to open the garage door and a few minutes later, come thundering in and lock up all four wheels sliding into the garage and get door closed behind me, then shutting the motor down. thirty seconds later, police car races by, still thinking he's chasing.

Marcus breathes sigh of relief then bursts out laughing.

I feel good now :)

Chance
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:27:14 PM
Swwwwaaahheeeeeet!

^-^

I adore fast cars.

Matter afact.

I've got a modified G-cart in need of a new left axel..

Standard one seater with roll cage, removed the roll cage pipes and extended the chassis to accomindate two 10 hp engines. weilded steel plates over the gas and break as well as front tires, Back wheel locking mech, similar to handbrake.

Reinserted roll cage over the driver's seat for protection, also added seatbelts from a wrecked Shelby Mustang. Painted it black and put two floodlights on the top.

Doesn't go really fast, But I can out-accelerate a new mustang in it, warped the axel trying to swerve from hitting a tree that fell down into the road right at the corner.

Have yet to get out and fix it :( :cry

Admiral Lebron
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:40:17 PM
Neat. I'd probably enjoy reading that more if it didn't take me time to translate KPH to MPH.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Aug 17th, 2002, 09:13:53 PM
:lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:29:26 PM
O_O

Wow!

Sounds like...really cool. :D

Morgan Evanar
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:38:37 PM
You're insane. But old hat.

Anyway, what kind of engine? Rotary?

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:51:17 PM
Yep, 12A, which is the legal one for the particular class. Bridgeported primaries and mild port secondries. At 1.1 litres of real capacity (as it's a "two stroke", you times it by 1.7 to get the race class capacity), 250 hp is just completely unreal to experience, especially as the present Haltech fuel injection, using 4 Volvo high flow injectors in the runners and two air box acceleration spray injectors, is now approaching a decent mapping. Needs some dyno time to really return a fatter torque curve, tho you would not know that with the way it drives now. You can adjust the fuel mappings with a laptop on the road - which looks damn weird with a 28 y.o. car with all this computer hardware in it when we are tuning.

He's going to get a Motec system that will allow radio telemetry, heads up display and remote on the fly tuning, altitude sensors as well. This will be a freak out, we are setting up a 4wd service vehicle with a 240v converter and then using a dual screen monitor system that shows real time stats and fuel curves over the transmitter at a distance of 3 km.

oh, at full throttle, it consumes 2 litres of fuel a minute.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:59:07 PM
For the car geeks, have a look at Motec - Aussie company, makes the best race systems in existance Coupled with a PI data log and display, it's all a car geek needs

http://www.motec.com/

Morgan Evanar
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:15:38 AM
oh, at full throttle, it consumes 2 litres of fuel a minute.

Sweet monkey allah. Well, I'd figure you'd be going about 130 in a straight line.

No, your milage is still terrible. Thats like.... 4mpg. Maybe.

Anyway, sounds like a complete mutt job. Volvo parts on a japanses rotary engine??!? (re reads...) oh injectors....

Still a muttjob done by a pair of nutjobs.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:33:48 AM
At normal throttle openings, it's quite fuel economical, especially for a race motor. 12litres per 100 km aint too bad, buggered if I know what that is in mpg. Up to about 85% throttle openings, it's not too insane, but a full bore and at the type of rpm a rotary can do (motor can be buzzed to 10,000 rpm) they just plain drink fuel. Thnakfully the type of stage that calls for a real lot of full throttle for long times is rare and they are short - less than 20km. No stage is over 45 km., but you are getting through that in about 30 - 35 min depending on how straight the roads are. Power after all is a factor of how much and how well you use fuel. It's the accelerator injectors that really push the fuel in, they flow potentially 1 litre a minute

Volvo injectors are top class stuff and flow one hell of a lot. But even then, it takes one hell of a pump system to keep up that type of flow rates and keep the system at 45psi. Thence, twin lift pumps to a surge tank, then twin Volvo injection pumps after that.

Oh, I might add the 300ZX 11 inch 4 spot brakes front and rear work spectaclarly well. Plus the BMW spec Bilstein suspension and home made adjustible coil over struts

Yeah, it's a muttjob, but most older race cars are. This is one hell of a job and just awesomely quick

Gouyen Chee
Aug 19th, 2002, 12:46:51 AM
I've got one thing to say -- WOW!

And there's not a thing wrong with muttjobs. *woof*

Morgan Evanar
Aug 19th, 2002, 05:50:54 AM
*starts doing conversion factors in head* oh screwit. I hate the english measurement system. 100km is about 65 miles. 12 liters is... um.... 3 gallons. Thats about 20 mpg! o_O wow. Not bad really.

I wish I could try crazier things in the Civic (as miserably underpowered as it is) but there aren't any "safe place" anywhere near my home. Its solid suburbia in every direction for miles and miles. The car isn't mine either =/

Alpha
Aug 19th, 2002, 06:04:45 AM
Awsome Mark! Sounds like fun...:lol :) :D

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 19th, 2002, 06:21:56 AM
One of the best performances I have seen in a rally was by a guy called Brett Middleton, who had a Civic V-TEC. Spent 100,000 on the motor and just built a complete work of art for a race car. Damn thing accerlerated nearly as well as a 4wd on dirt and outbraked everything by 100 meters. This was definantly no rice-burner chop job, this was one well thought out and built car. Could beat the turbo cars in a rally, which is really saying something. I can still remember this thing in the forest at night, man it also had a gorgeous exhaust note.

Alpha
Aug 19th, 2002, 09:10:54 AM
exhaust note? Whaz that?

What? I haven't friven much yet, and I don't know this! :)

Darth Viscera
Aug 19th, 2002, 09:49:12 AM
I used to build radio controlled model airplanes. One plane was 3 feet long with a 5 foot wingspan and only weighed 46 oz. You'd put in an electric motor, a micro-miniature radio receiver which connected to 4 micro-mini servos (flaps, ailerons, rudder, elevator) and an electronic speed control, which was hooked to the electric motor to regulate power flow. It was all balsa wood, laser-cut parts and Japanese electronics. Futaba makes a good radio transmitter, and the model I used to control my model airplane is the same one they used to control Artoo.

Anyways, you should have seen my F-117A model, it had a 9 foot wingspan and was powered by 2 electrojets, basically electric motors attached as pusher props but with very good exhaust systems so they're concealed within the craft. My Me-262 had an 8 foot wingspan, and I pushed her up to 223 kph in a dive once :)

Ever heard of the Predator unmanned aerial reconnaissance vehicle for the U.S. Armed Forces? I was working on something like that, fitting a 2.2 oz, $159 video camera to the cockpit of the F-117A, right above a glass windshield modded into it so it could pivot down if necessary. The theory was that the camera would transmit video and audio via radio to my receiving station, which was a desktop computer under a gazebo at the flying park, and that I could fly off as far as the radio signal would allow me to, uber-flight simulator style. :hat

All those models are gone now, though, because my dad is a crazy jerk. Probably melting in a storage place somewhere :mad :mad