JMK
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:55:48 AM
Ouch.:huh

Admiral Lebron
Aug 17th, 2002, 12:10:32 PM
YES! I might number 1 bonus!

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2002, 12:29:50 PM
Maybe Blue Crush will rebound, have to say that Pluto Nash has to be the biggest bomb of the year it cost almost 100 million to make and it probably won't make 10 million.

Admiral Lebron
Aug 17th, 2002, 12:38:27 PM
Doubtful on Blue crush rebound. My weekend estimates for xXx are: 7 Mil fri, 10 Sat, 8 Sun = 25 Mil!

Quadinaros
Aug 17th, 2002, 12:44:27 PM
Lebron, you're probably right about XXX. I'm guessing it will land somewhere between your $25.32 and my $21.62. Hopefullly closer to mine. >D

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2002, 12:55:17 PM
Here is what I think XXX will do 7, Sat-9 Sun 6, It did awful last Sunday and could do worse than 6 especially though that school is back in for most of the country.

Admiral Lebron
Aug 17th, 2002, 05:18:31 PM
I have a strong feeling it'll land between 23.5 and 25 Mil

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2002, 06:51:22 PM
I don't think it will probably closer to 20 somwhere between 18-21 because it did awful last Sunday and didn't do great on Saturday so that is why I say that.

JonathanLB
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:08:48 PM
WTF? Where do you live?!?! School isn't back for anyone, let alone most of the country.

I doubt even 2% of kids are back in school. School almost always starts at the VERY earliest the first day following Labor Day Weekend, which is two weeks from now dude. Jesus christ, it's August 17, nobody is in school NOW!

Even colleges don't go back yet, not a single college in the nation has started yet I don't think. A few of them start in late August, but I don't go back until September 30! I have 6 weeks yet, as do all public Oregon colleges. High schools go back as early as about sometime in late August and as late as just after Labor Day, so pretty much the same general time period. Rest assured hardly anyone, if anyone at all, is back in school right now.

I must agree, though, Pluto Nash is the biggest bomb of the year, but I wouldn't even stop there. I'd say it is one of the biggest bombs in history! What other film has been delayed 1.5 years and then opened to a frickin' PATHETIC $0.75 million. This is just embarrassing, especially as it looks like it has potential. I am going to see it tonight in a few hours actually, after I see Blue Crush. I really like Eddie Murphy.

Then again, you have a movie that has been delayed 1.5 years and did NOT screen for critics, so... chances of it being good are perhaps not so hot. Still, I can hope. It looks pretty good to me. Blue Crush doesn't seem like it'll be terrible. I doubt I give it worse than 2 stars. I'd say it'll be between 1.5 and 2.5, though, almost for sure.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:13:40 PM
Jon, I live in the South East and school has been back in over a week, some places went back 2 weeks around here. I know it like that in Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and North Carolina, I think Alabama and Mississippi go back now as well, I know there are schools in the midwest and South west that have gone back also, I know some places don't go back to after Labor day but a lot of places go back before that and there are some schools most of them in Califorinia that are going year round.

Admiral Lebron
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:20:09 PM
Virginia, Maryland, and everything North of the Mason-Dixon line have yet to reenter school.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 17th, 2002, 08:23:05 PM
Well I wasn't sure about there I know about South of Virginia and think most of the South West has too I think I know as far west as Texas, and part of the midwest I have heard have and as I said there are places that are going year round in Califorinia. So I say at least 1/3 of the schools are back in.

Darth23
Aug 17th, 2002, 09:51:36 PM
In Tallahassee at FSU, the dorms opened today, the K-12 school kids in Florida start back on Monday.

Darth23
Aug 17th, 2002, 09:53:25 PM
What is it with Shelved movies? How do people know to avoid them so completely? I mean, they DID spend a little money on tv commercials.

I guess Murphy is going to be hoping for a good showing with I Spy this Fall. :p

Admiral Lebron
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:05:04 PM
That looks funny though.

Sanis Prent
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:13:49 PM
Dorms open at UA tomorrow (drives back to school after lunch). First classes are wednesday

And lower levels have been open for 2 weeks here.

JMK
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:25:56 PM
I miss school....

Taataani Meorrrei
Aug 17th, 2002, 10:39:31 PM
I got all my school supplies today.

A flask, a pint of makers, and a legal pad.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:13:03 PM
:lol!!!

I wanted to see Pluto Nash. Probably still will..hope I get some laughs. :) I Spy looked hilarious.. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 17th, 2002, 11:20:45 PM
I dont miss school in the slightest. Pluto Nash is presently on 0% on the Tomato meter...

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:02:03 AM
is that good, or bad? ;) 0 is better than a negative, right? o_O

JonathanLB
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:53:59 AM
Critics are so dumb! Why must reviewing every movie make me a critic too! I could have another word for it, umm.... "moviegoer who reviews movies," that seems more fair. Otherwise I have to be called a critic, and I hate them! :)

Pluto Nash is a good movie. I was not exactly surprised. The previews looked good, it seemed to be high budget and well produced, and it was. I just feel sorry for everyone involved because it is one of the biggest bombs I have ever seen. Any movie that can't even make $1 million in its opening day and is released in 2,000+ theaters, I mean, ouch. Major bomb.

I think all critics just are like, "This movie was released late, therefore it sucks. Doesn't matter if it's really good, it was released late, so therefore it gets a bad rating."

I'd like to read some of their reviews to figure out exactly what one couldn't like about it. I mean, I'm only giving it 3 stars, but come on, it was an enjoyable film and the sets are awesome. It reminds me of a cross between Blade Runner, Star Wars (Coruscant is all I mean here), and most of all Total Recall. A little bit of The Sixth Day too, I got that vibe for some reason (hehe, I don't want to spoil it), and just a tiny bit of A.I., the Rouge City scenes. Of course, I just mentioned a bunch of movies that ALL got four stars, and this is not anywhere even close, but I'm just talking about the atmosphere and sets.

The movie isn't super hilarious, there are a few really funny lines and scenes, but it's just solid action, plot, and humor. Nothing remarkable, it's not like a pure comedy ala Road Trip, or a pure action movie ala XXX, or a pure detective movie like Clue or something, it is a mix between them. It has some good action, it has some good "detective work" type of storyline, it has some good humor. It's just a solid film, nothing remarkable, but I enjoyed it enough so that I will buy it on DVD when it comes out under "previously viewed DVDs," hehe, that way I can get it for like $10-12.

On the subject of school, I am sorry, I very much doubt that even 10% of schools are back in session right now. No college kids are actually in school now. I have friends and previous classmates who go to schools all over the nation from New York to California to Washington D.C. to Washington to Florida to Arizona and all around and nobody goes back to college yet. So that is 0%.

As far as grade school and even high school, I don't know, you people live in really screwed up areas though if kids go back to school now, no offense. Summer doesn't end until September 21, I am sure glad that I don't live wherever the heck kids go back to school in AUGUST! That is ridiculous! When did they get out, March?! Someone is getting ripped off...

There is nothing good about school. Unless you hate your job, in which case, I am sorry. School is miserable. College is about 10 times better than high school, that is a given, and it is significantly easier (unless you WANT to make it hard, which you can do...), but even so, I cannot wait to get my diploma and get out. It is just a big roadblock to doing what I actually want to do. Waste 23 years of my life on school, yay! I'm glad that unlike most fools, I don't just sit around and do school waiting to get out, I actually make the most of my free time. But to each his/her own. 22 or 23 or whatever is so late to start being a productive member of society, jeez. Of course, what am I saying?! Most 16 year olds work at fast food restaurants or whatever, that is productive! Not.

I have friends on both sides. On one hand, there are people like Sean who have an excuse for not doing anything else besides school -- he went to Cal. Tech, now he is going to Stanford, he won't need anything but that diploma to make a LOT of money (Mr. 1590 SAT score). Then there is Ben, and Ben works for $10 an hour, which is way more than most people our age, and he fixes computers too, which is a lot of extra income, and then he helps his parents around the house, yet more money, and he is a great student, and he buys Magic cards in bulk and resells them at LARGE profits. He is smart, inventive, and driven. Then there is my best friend Bryan, more easy going, always works minimum wage, crappy jobs, but he does need the money. Unfortunately, and this is not meant as a diss, he just... how to put this, hehe, he is not like Ben. Or me. We both find ways around having to work crappy jobs because we are just too smart to be wasting our talents at that nonsense, but Bryan just takes what is there and doesn't complain. As I said, very easygoing. I like that in him as a friend, but I worry that he doesn't have enough drive to fulfill any of his dreams and he's just going to be another 9-5 worker.

I detest the attitude of going to college to "get a job." I dont' want a job! I am working for myself, that's all there is to it. If I get a job, it'll be as CEO of a company and I'll only be accountable to me, my money, and maybe stockholders. I think the best reason to go to college is to become an educated person who can formulate more informed opinions about the world. The reason I want a degree is because I think studying philosophy and whatnot will allow me to make more informed decisions in life and be a more educated person in general. I don't go to college because I want a frickin' job. That should always be the 2nd reason to go to college, but it is almost always the first. Anyway, people need to think outside of the box, not what JOB you want to work at when you get out of college, but what company you want to own, or what hours you want to work, or anything else, but just the idea of going through schooling to be someone else's little pawn is pathetic. A high schooler can do that, a college educated person should at the very least aspire for more.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 18th, 2002, 01:00:25 AM
Clue! great movie!!! :):) *goes to rent it*

Dutchy
Aug 18th, 2002, 04:58:37 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Anyway, people need to think outside of the box, not what JOB you want to work at when you get out of college, but what company you want to own, or what hours you want to work, or anything else, but just the idea of going through schooling to be someone else's little pawn is pathetic.

Yeah, sure, like that's reserved for everyone. Not everyone can take the responsibility of owning a company, nor is everyone that ambitious.

And who's gonna do the WORK if every college graduate is gonna be a company owner? There are only so many positions for JOBS like that.

So maybe YOU need to think outside your box and realize that not everyone wants or can set up their lives as Jonathan wants or can his.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 18th, 2002, 10:13:15 AM
Jon there are many jobs that you can't get without a college degree, Lawyer, Teacher, Doctor, Engineer, Scientist and many others you can't hop into those fields without a degree and that is the way it should be. I also like school, it looks like I will be doing that for a living becoming a college professor and I am confident I will enjoy it. On the subject to school most kids in the Southeast go back the third week of August, some schools go the first or second, and they get out in May. Also there is a movement in the country for year round school, I know its becoming big in Califorinia, and there a couple of schools north of me which are doing it, I am not saying I agree with it but they are following the lead of Germany and Japan the top two countries in Education (I guess they think they are on to something)

Jedieb
Aug 18th, 2002, 11:32:59 AM
Back in the REAL world....
Most people get out of school and face the REALITY of needing to pay off school, eat, clothe themselves, and put a roof over their heads. Sometimes they even have to take responsibility for others. Not everybody lives off of Daddy's good graces.