PDA

View Full Version : LOTR:TTT running time....

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 15th, 2002, 09:22:20 PM
And confirmation something that is eagerly expected DOES happen.

Warning, spoliers in the link

http://www.theonering.net/perl/newsview/8/1029450878

Remnant Forces
Aug 15th, 2002, 09:23:14 PM
YAY! Ents!

JediBoricua
Aug 15th, 2002, 09:32:04 PM
Helm's Deep Battle 50 MINUTES!!!! Now that will be awesome!!! And Ents, how many days left now'...damn it's going to be such a huge movie, can't wait!!!

Figrin D'an
Aug 15th, 2002, 10:10:21 PM
Keep in mind though, that's the running length of the current cut... it is very much subject to change, and I kind of doubt that Jackson is done with the final cut of the film yet. Jackson was quoted a while back saying the TTT would run probably run about 2 hrs 40 mins. That would seem much more reasonable, IMO, especially considering that Books Three and Four (the ones comprising The Two Towers) are much shorter than Books One and Two (Fellowship of the Ring). Granted, a long Helm's Deep battle, and the addition of certain events that only take are mentioned in the book in the past tense (the Ents marching on Isengard, Gandalf's battle with the Balrog and subsiquent rebirth) will do a fair amount to add length to the film, but even with those additions... 3+ hours on the theater cut seems a little extensive...

JediBoricua
Aug 15th, 2002, 10:16:45 PM
That's true, but hey I'm dreaming!

I really want to see the ents breaking down isengard, and I want to hear them speak. I also want to heare Gimli and Legolas counting how many orcs each has slained, and I hadn't thought about Gandalf and the Balrog...3 hours is not enough! I know it's not practical nor reasonable, but when have fans been practical or reasonable?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 16th, 2002, 12:27:44 AM
:crack

I am greatly anticipating this film. :D

:crack

Figrin D'an
Aug 16th, 2002, 12:35:14 AM
LOL.... if the fans had their way, PJ would be forced to put ALL of the footage he shot into his final cuts...

I really think a film in the 160-170 minute range is reasonable, without having to cut out anything significant, and that should still allow time for the "extra" stuff that I mentioned. And... honestly... it doesn't take 50 minutes of film to show Helm's Deep... maybe if that figure includes some of the pre- and post-battle stuff, then sure... the actual battle itself only consists of about 10 pages of text, in a 320 page book. I know it's THE major action sequence in TTT, but personally... I'd be willing to sacrifice a little bit of grandeous battle time if it meant more detailed character development... especially surrounding Frodo, Sam and Smeagol/Gollum.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 16th, 2002, 12:41:38 AM
I am sure it will be cut down somewhat I don't see it being longer than FOTR.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 16th, 2002, 12:54:41 AM
I dont care how long it is.... I'll damn well sit through 4 hours! The longer the better!

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 16th, 2002, 12:59:25 AM
Well if it was 4 hours there better be an intermession :p Really I bet they cut it down to 3 hours even plus or minus a minute or so.

Loki Ahmrah
Aug 16th, 2002, 05:06:55 AM
I can't wait to hear the ents speak, especially when they have the moot. I think 50 minutes might be a bit long for one battle scene though.

JMK
Aug 16th, 2002, 07:03:00 AM
I'm so excited to see this movie, and I agree, the longer the better! I didn't click on any of the links, or read anyone's spoiler text because I'm just about to get into the book and want to find out all this for myself. I have no clue of what's about to happen and would like it to stay that way. :p

Darth Viscera
Aug 19th, 2002, 05:58:29 AM
w00t! I hope they leak out the DVD Screener again....I can't wait to see how compressible TTT is!

JMK
Aug 19th, 2002, 07:16:07 AM
You and your damn compression stories! :lol

Darth Viscera
Aug 19th, 2002, 09:08:11 AM
Nice to have a hobby ;) Especially one that gets you $300/minute of encoded video for professionals. Those Hollywood studios need someone to encode their DVDs, and I figure that some day I'll be their man!

Plus, it's fun to see how small MB-wise you can get a movie and still maintain high quality.

Master Yoghurt
Aug 19th, 2002, 11:13:38 AM
IMO, the longer running time, the better. The only complaint I had against FOTR was, I wanted to see more. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 19th, 2002, 01:13:52 PM
Thats what the Extended Edition is for, Yog. :crack I wanna see more toooooo!

ReaperFett
Aug 19th, 2002, 01:28:14 PM
I want to see more of some bits, and less of others ;)