PDA

View Full Version : Balmorra: Laying Foundations

Taylor Millard
Aug 13th, 2002, 10:08:29 PM
The dining room on the Imperial Star Destroyer Superior is something to behold. Built back during the 'Golden Age' of the Empire, it has twelve high-backed wooden chairs- each one possessing the Imperial Insignia emblazened on the front and the back. The blueish/purple seat had an Imperial insignia as well, and they were far from ripped or torn. The silverware, polished and clean, sat on white napkins next to black china plates which had gold trim and another Imperial logo. In short, this was a meal for Imperials, not civilians.

Grand Admiral Taylor Millard stood at the head of the table, mulling silently the events of past days. The Empire had broken, various commanders deciding to pursue their own dreams and wishes. Balmorra itself had made a political move, grabbing up four planets and declaring itself 'The Balmorran Empire' emperored by Tyrel Kiterix- the former governor.

Millard had agreed with this 'Balmorran Empire' although he would never call it that. It was the Empire to him...the Galactic Empire. But his orders were to protect Balmorra and protect it he would. Until he died he would protect his home and Empire.

But to protect, he needed military commanders. Commanders who believed in the Empire as a whole not in their own personal gain. He'd found one with his protege, the commodore named Tomar, who'd recently left Vice Admiral Lebron to rejoin Millard.

Now he had three other commanders visitting him. Tomar's second-in-command Captain Jux Ta as well as General Kyle Deshare- all from Lebron's forces. He was certain all would agree to the Balmorran Empire, but if you assumed too much...

And then there was Rear Admiral Sarrin Vorrann, a man Millard had met briefly, during the negotiations between the planets of Guild Sector. Tomar had told Millard Vorrann wanted to know who the most 'Imperial' of the...warlords (how Millard hated that name) were. Although his second-in-command was biased, Tomar gave his opinion, and now Vorrann was being hosted at the dinner as well.

Not present, was the new emperor, Tyrel Kiterix...but this was a meeting for military personall- not politicians. The Imperial Grand Admiral was quite happy to keep it that way...the less politicians, the less miscommunication.

He stood in the room and waited for his guests to arrive. Thomas, Millard's bodyguard, stood off to his right- his Royal Guard Uniforms washed and clean. To his left was the Commodore Tomar.

Millard waited as the doors to the dining room opened...

Sarin Vorrann
Aug 13th, 2002, 11:23:14 PM
The Imperial splendor of the room hit Vorrann like the force of a missile barrage. Elegance, regality, sophistication...everything the Empire stood for.

As did Rear Admiral Vorrann.

For his part, his uniform was tradition dark green, termed forest by those who donned it. His rank plaque was polished so that any radiance would shine off brilliantly. Equally immaculate were his newly-issued jackboots. Upon his head, the typical officer's cap was missing, as per Imperial protocol: formality demands precision. Exquisitely parted hair would endear better than a bland cap.

However, there was one difference in his uniform than normal--other than the well done pressing. The medals of his career were hung and isplayed in perfect order below the five red and five blue rank pips. Three medals for bravey, ingenuity, and victory dangled from his right, whilst four other decorations were neatly arrayed next to them.

The Rear Admiral's guard, a Fleet trooper, was dressed in his black uniform and also had donned his own awards: being an officer of combat, his citations for bravery far exceeded his commander's. Nor was there a glassy helmet on his head. He did, however, have his favorite "Long Lance" blaster by his side, an Imperial issue weapon not produced for a hundred years: given out to the best from secretive stockpiles.

The guard stood at the door as the Rear Admiral entered the plush dining quarters.

As was custom, no matter how outdated, he saluted and knelt.

" It is an honour to be invited into your presence, Grand Admiral."

With that, he remained, awaiting another reproachment for his outdated discipline.

Taylor Millard
Aug 13th, 2002, 11:42:33 PM
Contrary to when they first met, Millard accepted the salute and the bow (though it still irked him). Grand Admiral Thrawn had never required the kneeling, only a salute. Why Vorrann kept at it he would never know.

"Greetings Rear Admiral Vorrann, I apologize for my earlier brusqueness," he said, formal as ever, "Some fairly heavy negotiations were proceeding when you arrived. I had to attend them."

Millard nodded to the nearest attendant who pulled a chair back for Vorrann to sit in.

"Please sit down Admiral. Have yourself a drink," Millard nodded to Tomar who took a seat as well.

"Tell me Admiral Vorrann...you asked Commodore Tomar who the most 'Imperial' of the commanders of the Empire were. Why?"

Sarin Vorrann
Aug 13th, 2002, 11:52:58 PM
The Admiral wathed as steward brought him a bottle of Corellian Brandy, which he accepted graciously. A glass was poured, and he sipped it as one should, before answering the Grand Admiral's question.

" My Lord, my ship had near all of its supplies destroyed or used in our month following the Yuuzhan Vong engagement. If we were to not ally ourselves with some one, my crew would begin to die. I would have to sell of my remaining TIEs to get food and bacta, which I understand Grand Admiral Desaria controls. I would then have to remove and sell my weapon emplacements: this way is not acceptable for an Imperial crew.

" My men and I are devout Imperials, each one willing to give his life for Imperial culture and society. We wish to serve in the traditions of our proud fathers.

" As for my question, I would not want my men serving a master who did not embody the essence so many of them have died trying to protect. I would be remiss as a commander, and a man, to not put their needs above my own."

The glass was by now empty, the Admiral having taken small sips throughout his brief speech.

There was no good alcohol on a damaged and secluded warship.

Taylor Millard
Aug 14th, 2002, 12:22:13 AM
Millard nodded, "That is true Admiral."

He took a sip from the glass in front of him. Caramel filled his senses as he drank the liquid. It was from Thrawn's own personal storage, a Cognac aged 100 years from Alderaan. The resourceful grand admiral had somehow procured it from the black market, but never used it. It had been left with Millard when Thrawn went back to Known Space. Now...he had a reason to drink from it.

"But tell me Admiral Vorrann...if the Vong attacked you, why not find the Imperial Fleet in the Unknown Regions and meet with them? Couldn't the Vengeance be of use to Lord Viscera and Grand Admiral Thrawn? Even with the damage it had sustained?"

Sarin Vorrann
Aug 14th, 2002, 12:24:35 AM
The Admiral had been asked this before.

" Our hull condition did not allow us to cross the galactic barrier. The electirc storms would have shorted out what circuits were left. With our shields down, we would have drifted and been pounded to dust."

Taylor Millard
Aug 14th, 2002, 12:28:17 AM
"Then why not leave for the Unknown Regions now?" it was Tomar who asked his question, as he sipped from a glass of wine, "Once we have fixed your ship you could leave and find Lord Viscera. Or is there another reason why you are still here?"

Sarin Vorrann
Aug 14th, 2002, 12:32:43 AM
" Only propoganda says the Empire is fighting in the Unkwon Regions.

" Our desitination was the nearest galaxy....where the Vong home is, not their most recent conquests. It was that trip we could not survive.

" If you question my dedication, my resignation is yours to have. But when I don civilian clothes again, it will be my first duty to duel with you."

There was a fire in the Admiral's eyes that could have borne through quantum armor. Disloyalty and a lack of dedication was far from the Admiral's mind. To be accused of it was more than even an experienced flag officer could bare.

The gl;ass nearly crushed in the tightening grip of the Admiral. His optic rage was pointed directly at the Commodore.

Taylor Millard
Aug 14th, 2002, 12:42:22 AM
Millard kept a smile from coming to his face. Vorrann had passed the test...or part of it atleast.

"I do not think that will be necessary at all, Admiral Vorrann," he said, taking another sip from his glass, "Your records say you served the Empire with loyalty and dedication.

"But I am a bit curious as to why you joined Vice Admiral Lebron and your current situation now. You say Admiral Lebron is insane. I see Admiral Lebron as more of a politician than a madman. He certainly loves Kammaar.

"What are your observations of Admiral Lebron, as well as myself?"

Sarin Vorrann
Aug 14th, 2002, 12:49:27 AM
The rage subsided.....one does not look at a Grand Admiral with anything but formality.

" I did not intentionally serve under Admiral Lebron. My career started with him, and by my choosing, I admit. I served in the Empire during Endor, in a little-known battle. Antioch XVII. I lost a convoy I was protecting, and had no choice but to disappear. Four Nebulon-B frigates ambushed my VSD and took the conoy I was protecting.

" I returned to the stage under the Remnant because I could look upon the true Imperial Crest any more. When I was transferred to the Empire with the rest of the Remnant, I was a Rear Admiral and commanded respect. Slowly, the pain subsided.

" I did come to realize the madness of Admiral Lebron during my time commanding a division of the Bastion Sector Fleet. He would go into fits of rage and actually murder his officers, officially recorded as accidents by his staff.

" I recently learned he elminated an entire command crew, with its flag officers, because he wanted solidarity of command. These are not the actions of an Imperial officer. Or a sane man.

" As for you, Grand Admiral. It is not my place to judge or question you. You wear the white, which entitles you to as much leeway as you like, and as much rigidity as you desire. To be a covetted member of the Twelve. I can only imagine that. But it is no one's liberty below the rank of Fleet Admiral, one grade your junior, to even form opinions of you.

" If your question meant will I keep the Vengeance in port here.

" Yes."

Jux Ta
Aug 15th, 2002, 01:20:03 AM
Captain Ta pushed open the wide double doors to the dining room, and strode through with a crisp military step. He was alone, though he noted the personal bodyguards of... what was the man's name? Rear Admiral... Vorrenn? Vorrann, he thought. And of Grand Admiral Millard. Tomar was also in attendance, but only the Grand Admiral was standing. Not including the two guards, which Ta thought a waste of manpower when it came to himself. If someone wanted a kill a Captain that badly, they could do it with or without an extra body in the way. And if the extra body mattered, well, Ta kept up to date on his combat skills. He had been an instructor, briefly, on his way up in the Imperial Navy.

Room was much to bare a name to put with the attention to detail and decor in this... chamber. Ta could honestly say he had never seen such extravagent grandeur in years. It was... refreshing, but felt odd. He was accustomed to wartime conditions, he supposed. Even now, he was unadorned with insignia and medallions but for the ones denoting his rank. He was, fortunately, wearing his best uniform - it was a dress uniform, but not the sort worn to balls or immense celebrations. It was military dress, which meant it had a good collar, was a shinier grey than usual, and fastened differently.

Ta strode to the end of the lavishly garnished table, and saluted the Grand Admiral with razor-edged precision. The Admirals were obviously deep in serious conversation already, and his quiet entry did not interrupt them.

Taylor Millard
Aug 16th, 2002, 01:07:32 AM
"Ah Captain Ta, welcome," Millard greeted the newly arrived captain with a nod, "Please, make yourself at home. Some Kamarian Brandy perhaps?"

He motioned to the nearest serving droid to pour the captain a glass from an ornate bottle on the oak cabinant nearest him.

"Now, as for you comments Admiral Vorrann," Millard took another sip from his cognac glass, "If you are willing to keep The Vengeance in port then you are welcome here. I do not expect us to battle against the other factions of the Imperial Breakup- although that will come soon enough. Instead, our goal should be the utter destruction of the New Republic."

Millard glanced up at Ta, focussing a blue-eyed stare at the younger captain, "Captain Ta, why are you here? No, not why are you at this dinner- you were invited by me to attend.

"But why are you here on Balmorra? Why not with Vice Admiral Lebron on Kamar or perhaps Vice Admiral Laran on Carida?"

Kyle Deshere
Aug 16th, 2002, 05:28:47 AM
The tapping of his black boots against the durasteel decks of the Star Destroyer Superior rang out as surely as a bantha's howl to the night, his attire was proper beyond belief, and his eyes shown a crystalline blue with dire excitement. He had been invited to the Star Destroyer and he had decided to take complete advantage of such, he had spoken to Grand Admiral Millard only a handful of times before, and never once had he really gotten to sit down and get to know the man.

He was probably one of the only current Imperial officers he could stand, especially after that warlordic break up. Their diktat was a self serving, arrogant pomp who had decided to blamish the New Order's name through his own personal greed. That was why he'd broken off to join the Order of the Fist, the radical fanaticist group who had offered him pride and glory, but most of all he had intended to use his military and political genious to turn the tables on that faction and use it as a means to eradicate the power he needed to rebuild the lost foundations of old.

But not just the Empire, oh no. They were just one of the many civilizations he had planned to rebuild, a glorious Combined Empire had been his dream, uniting the major powers of the galaxy in a joyous reunion of sorts.

But that dream had been shattered at the leader's sudden disappearance, and so he had taken what forces he could and fled the crumbling faction before it could bring him down with it, along with his reputation. Fortunately he had managed to salvage it by retreating into the Unknown Regions and hiding out there for a period of time, training his men and readying them for battle.

As he walked through the passageways of the Superior he could not help but smirk at the constant gasps and inhales of breath in astonishment to his partner. Most of them had only heard legends of his people's greatness, little to none had ever actually seen one beyond the holovids of the greatness they had achieved.

Their eyes could not stay off his exotic skin, and for a moment the man let a hint of pride succumb to his pleasant and prideless demeanor. They found their way to the great banquet hall, all the while there were the wandering and excited eyes, all wanting to catch a glimpse of this new alien.

The doors were pushed open directly ahead of him, and the general, in his cut, clean uniform, smiled broadly, presenting the Chiss before the rest of the hall.

"My friends, I present to you Ment'sawl'aeroudae," he said with a smug grin, interrupting anything that was going on at the moment.

Jux Ta
Aug 16th, 2002, 03:09:25 PM
Ta accepted the crystal glass of brandy with a nod, and then listened as the Grand Admiral continued his conversation with the Rear Admiral - Vorrann, after all. The Kamarian brandy was exceptionally smooth.

Ta was about to answer a question from Millard when the doors suddenly were flung open, revealing a Chiss and a general Ta did not recognize. The man introduced the alien smugly, but generals were allotted a certain amount of arrogance and Ta ignored the presumtious entrance - though he nodded to the introduced Chiss. He'd seen plenty of them, and they made better Imperials than most humans. "Tsawla" for short? Ta would have to find out, later.

He turned his attentions back to Millard and smiled as he spoke.

"With all due respect, sir, I knew my commanding officer - Commodore Tomar - far better than I knew Vice Admiral Lebron. In fact, I have never even directly spoken with Lebron during all the years I served the Empire under him. The Commodore is a discerning man, as I am sure you are well aware. His choice was to come back to Balmorra... and so I followed him as his subordinate. Duty, you see, Grand Admiral. My decision to remain here, under you, means that I trust Tomar's judgement implicitly - and so, I trust yours."

Ta's eyes narrowed slightly.

"Do not mistake this for blind trust - the Commodore has proven himself many times to myself, and to my crew. Moreover, I am not unaware of your own integrity. I know that the Empire will flourish under those who guard their own and defeat their enemies - not those who hoard their resources and hide in their warships. That is why I will stay. This is the Empire."

Taylor Millard
Aug 16th, 2002, 04:34:50 PM
Millard nodded at Ta's answer. It was indeed as Tomar had said it would be. Captain Ta was loyal and would remain so. Inwardly he smiled...Ta would make a good Star Destroyer captain.

The arrival of General Deshare and the Chiss did not surprise Millard as much as it did the others. While the only Chiss the Imperial Grand Admiral ever had contact with was Grand Admiral Thrawn, Taylor knew other Chiss existed and also had made allies with their 'cousins' the Clan Vitiku.

Millard actually wondered if Tasha Kazkis would reply to his message of inviting her to this dinner. He was interesting in seeing if their agreement of Kresh've'teh would continue through the Imperial split.

Taylor nodded towards General Deshare and the Chiss, Ment'sawl'aeroudae.

"General Deshare....Ment'sawl'aeroudae, welcome to the Superior" he said getting the Chiss' full name correct, "Please, have something to drink....Correllian Scotch or Yag'Dullian Wine. We have several vintages here.

"Mister Ment'sawl'aeroudae, Grand Admiral Thrawn was a particular fan of both Omar Prime Wine and Togarian Ale. We have both if you wish to drink it."

He turned to General Deshare asking the same question he asked both Vorrann and Ta, "Tell me...why are you here General? Why not throw your lot in with another of the Imperial commanders? Why Balmorra? Why not...say....Bespin?"

Sarin Vorrann
Aug 16th, 2002, 11:33:47 PM
Vorrann considered the question, taking another polite sip of what had changed from Brandy into ale: he had always had a tolerance that baffled his superiors.

The Chiss were not a thing of fascination for the Admiral, for he was far from xenphobic or even interested in racial distinctions. H cared only for the tactical competence of those considered.

If a being could command a fleet or fire a weapon, then he was already better than half of the humans alive.

" If I may, Grand Admiral Millard.

" The Empire is an idea, afigment of one man's imagination. Our old system fell, and now a new one must grow in its place so the Ideal of Empire may rise again.

" In reality, my ship is in no condition to make the jump to Thyferra or Bespin, and will not be for another two weeks.

" To be honest, the choice between my men was either Grand Admiral Desaria or yourself. And we are already here, and since you have no intention of feuding with the other Imperials, we saw no reason to leave. Here we arrived, here we stay.

" It was all baed on practicality. And devotion to the Imperial cause, both of which the Grand Admirals' share."

The Admiral took another sip of his ale.

Kyle Deshere
Aug 17th, 2002, 04:44:51 AM
The general held a broad grin yet, and found his way to a seat near the grand admiral, Sawl following closely behind him. He offered up a smile and a nod to each person as he passed, but not much more than that. His regard for the others seemed to end at proper etiquette.

When his indigo friend found a seat, he too found his own next to him, taking a goblet of whatever was offered him in hand before sitting up properly, taking a sip at the contents. The Chiss seemed to be relatively uninterested in his surroundings, his scintillating ruby orbs honed on Admiral Millard as tightly as a missile boat's target lock.

"I will take that thank you, and you may call me Commander Sawl," the Chiss said, his voice deep and burly, almost like Mitth'raw'nuroudo's, his hair slicked back dignifiably. Deshere nodded at the admiral's question.

"Do you want the blunt or the sweet covered answer sir?" he asked in respond, a sly grin taking his expression.

Tasha Kozkis
Aug 17th, 2002, 01:08:14 PM
Tasha entered quietly, clad in red and black Vitiku military formal wear. A red knee length half-cape draped down from a black blazer with gold buttons and insignia from her ship along with the Vitiku's red crest. One blaster filled a low slung hip holster on the right, while a sheathed shortsword rested on her left.

She had been in this dining room twice before--her intial visit to the Superior as part of her Father's envoy, and again on her own visit. It was nice, but it did not suit Vitiku sensiblities.

The ocupants of the room were of more interest. Various Imperials she did not know, and a Chiss. Though they were the Kreikiv's genetic cousins, they had been seperated for almost thirty thousand years, and contact between the two species was few and far between, mostly due to distance.

Tasha stopped two meters inside of the doorway, and waited to be invited to sit, as was customary. Taylor, as the host, would conduct introductions.

Taylor Millard
Aug 18th, 2002, 12:29:57 AM
"General Deshare if you will excuse me a minute," Millard nodded, "Tasha, thank you for coming...please enter."

He watched as the Vitiku walked towards the table. The Imperial Grand Admiral motioned her to take the seat on his left, with Tomar on his right.

"This is Tasha Kozkis of the Clan Vitiku...from the Unknown Regions, gentlemen. She has been an advisor of mine for several years. You are to treat her with the respect you would give any of your fellow Imperials. Is that understood?"

He saw the nods from the other Imperials present.

"Good. Now, General Deshare...I prefer all my officers to be upfront and honest. Please give the blunt answer."

Tasha Kozkis
Aug 21st, 2002, 09:00:49 PM
Tasha sat, stonefaced and expressionless.

It was quite possible she would sit silent through the whole meeting, and simply discuss the whole affair with Taylor afterwords.

Still, the Chiss was a bit of a wonder. The last known contact between the two races of Kriekiv and Chiss had been roughly three hundred years ago. The Thrawn story had offered some insight into Chiss/Imperial relations, but it rather seemed to be out of character for a Chiss. As such, Tasha treated it as an exception instead of the rule.

But something else was afoot, and she would do her best to find out.

Kyle Deshere
Sep 1st, 2002, 01:27:16 PM
Deshere simply stared back at Millard, trying to find the most respectful, but most informing words. When he finally could not find anything, he went with what he had.

"Simply because I hate what the Empire has become. There is no one left in it with any true sense of command. They're all bloodthirsty, pointless, and I don't feel like offering my military genious to someone who's going to use it for themselves.

"At first I honestly thought you were no different, but I looked a bit deeper, I felt that you are a bit more trustworthy than the others. After serving under you a while, this was proven. That was the onyl way I could get Sawl here to join us."