PDA

View Full Version : My first full-fledged Gen Con experience

Drin Kizael
Aug 12th, 2002, 07:41:21 PM
The short version:

Last year in Milwaukee. First time for going all 4 days and entering gaming events. Fun... lots. Money... too much. White Wolf, Heroclix... boring. Buffy... awesome. Farscape... yay! RPGA... evil. Star Wars d20... better than WEG, but... eh.

I've been to GenCon in the past, but the last time was several years back when I used to just drive up there for one day and head home. I live in NW Chicago and it's an hour and a half away in Milwaukee. But this is the last year it will be up there, so I felt obligated to go the whole 9 yards while I still knew I could.

For those wondering what GenCon is, it's the biggest gaming con in the U.S. It's got computer games, card games, board games, strategy games, dice role playing games, and sci-fi and fantasy collectibles

One interesting note about the RPG world is that the superhero genre has a huge presence. New computer games include Freedom Force and the pending City of Heroes online multiplayer. And now there are like 3 new superhero RPGs added to the lineup this year.

Anyway, it was an interesting experience. Lots of fun. Those of you not into gaming might be amazed just how many people ARE. The con filled the convention center and spilled over into several ajoining hotel ballrooms and a sports arena.

I stayed the whole 4 days for the first time ever. Actually it was the first time Dale had been to this con at all, so this was even more major for her. We stayed at the Marquette University dorms 3 blocks away. The weather was gorgeous so the short walk made the experience that much nicer.

Thursday we played one of the new superhero games, "Hero, Inc". We were golden age flavor characters in the 1920s busting a speakeasy. The game isn't officially released yet, so we were beta testers of sorts and we just goofed around and had fun with it.

Thursday night and again on Friday we played these home grown White Wolf modules... eh. "Pure" White Wolf storytelling isn't for me. I liked our characters (Dale and I were in all the games together) and some of the concepts, but it put me to sleep.

Friday was more overdosing on vampires, but that turned out to be a good thing. The new Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG is -awesome-. The system rocks and the book is just too fun to read. We ended up getting it. And Dale role played such a cool Buffy that we got $10 in coupons for it.

Oh yeah ... the exhibit hall. HUGE. I haven't seen SDCC yet, but Wizard World has nothing on the marketing power gathered in that room. If you walk through it and somehow don't end up buying SOMETHING, you are strong willed indeed.

I ended up with a new DC Comics shirt, a t-shirt with a wizard and a dragon, the Rifts Gamemaster Guide, the new Farscape RPG, and a new set of dice (urban cammo... oooo I know yer jealous).

While in there I played a Heroclix demo. ZZZZzzzz.... Can someone PLEASE explain to me how this game is so popular? The miniatures look, eh, well most look like ass. Yet it's still marketed with that wretched "C" word. Limited Edition Captain America and Wolverine go for $25+. The game itself moves sooooooooo slooooooowwww. So what's the allure?

Bah.

We also tried a couple other games. I now understand why people have problems with Palladium. I confirmed that the RPGA completely lives up to its horrible reputation. We left as members of a newer gaming organization called Game Base 7. They were a very cool, laid back bunch who still understood that role playing is supposed to be fun... and we got to spit in the eye of the RPGA.

Star Wars on d20 is a'ight. There's only a couple changes I'd make that are real easy to plug in.

I averaged 5-6 hours sleep over the 4 days. Spent way too much money, but I wouldn't have done anything different. It's definitely something I'd reccomend for gaming fans to do at least once.

ReaperFett
Aug 12th, 2002, 07:48:20 PM
Being as I (occasionally) do games Workshop, a D20 is just a very scary dice :)

Sounds like a cool think to go to.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 08:02:49 PM
Eventually I will give my review.... once I catch up :lol

Taylor Millard
Aug 12th, 2002, 09:14:45 PM
OOo sounds fun. I had an experience like that at a con here in Dallas. It was a lot of fun.

Not as much fun as Chicago Con was...THAT was fun. :D

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 09:22:47 PM
Only because you had the honor of meeting me =^;^=

Jedi Neo
Aug 12th, 2002, 09:50:43 PM
So thats what a Gen Con is! :D

Sounds like fun!

Sanis Prent
Aug 12th, 2002, 09:55:45 PM
I played D&D...

...once.

:cry!

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 10:12:54 PM
Well, at first I thought I was going to have a horrible time since they couldnt find Drin's and mines tickets >_<

But ... they did! Our first event was cancelled which really sucked but we ended up finding a White Wolf game later that night. Which, I thought was cool. Loved my character, the concept of the game and everything course... as with White Wolf ... sometimes people focus way too much on the story and not enough on the Players. Something I myself pride myself on doing :D!

The Golden Age super hero was lots of laughs and fun, especially when your biggest obstable was a Goon name Congo :lol My womanly ways couldn't sway him :( so I frelled with his mind so he couldn't see me :D Course later in the adventure our own party leaves us >_< Leaving me and Drin to fight a mutant Kangaroo ...

Then there was shopping!

Found Kindred the embraced at the White Wolf Booth .. all eight episodes on DVD .. I was amazed best thing that those boys put out since you can't find them anywhere. Drin and I signed up for some free stuff, hoping to win... if we did they'll mail it.

:: crosses fingers for hot looking paladin chick lithograph :: :crack

Speaking of that... so many great costumes. Someone actually dressed like the chick from Lexx .. odd... there were plenty of Jedi, Stormtroopers etc and so forth. The most impressive was a guy that had a Thrawn costume. It was awesome... Lots of fairy people (not meant that way) I mean there were a lot of people with fairy wings and stuff .. Lots of elves and Ren Fair type clothes too.

Let see, what else. Ah ... Friday. Friday was more White wolf and BUFFY! Buffy game rules! The system is very easy, a lot of women are RPing and even kids! Plus, it is fun. Drin was right about me playing Buffy, I got so into character that people did a double take. Between me and the woman that played Anya, we scare out group MUAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

ahem .. so I bought the Buffy book and will run it for my buds like Drin will run Farscape!

Saturday was gaming extreme. Played Paladium where in this game frelling unbreakable glass was our enemy. It covered all the windows in this big bads lair... as soon as we got into the bad guys lair, I rolled to hit with a devestating psionic attack and rolled critical :lol killled the dude in one hit =^;^=

Then we played a weird Western in Space game. One of the designers was our Game Master and was amazing. Had a southern accent and everything to set the mood.

Lastely ... feh! FEH! RPGA ... Role Playing Games Association or (A$$-----) fill in the rest. They were rude, not helpful, basically almost got screwed out of playing a game when we pre-registered ... WHY??? BECAUSE ALL THEIR GM'S WERE FRELLING DRINKING IN THE BAR!!!

They had to quickly find people to run the game for like over a dozen and a half people. They made us feel like it was a priviledge to RP with -them- Not once did they apologize for -their- mess up. The real kicker was when we said we wanted to RP together. It was me, Drin and a frien of ours... One of the guys said, well, if it comes down to it and they don't want to break up into different groups... they don't play.

|I

Gaming... suppose to be fun. A hobby.

RPGA ... the gestapo running a gaming group. Anyway ...

Finally we sat down and waited ... and waited... Got to know two guys in our group that were from around Chi-Town/IL and they were nice. I heard about all the power gamers that infected RPGA but these guys were nice. We were lucky for that and the fact that the GM that was pulled to run our game was really cool. Had a lot of fun and it was because of that, our night was not ruined by those nitwits.

Last day Sunday. Have to check out at 10am. Why? A dorm full of gamers for four days must get ripe ... have a lot of cleaning they do ...

Basically, wandering around and signing of for Game Base 7 (www.gb7.org) is what we did while waiting for our friend to get out of a game with that group. Funny thing is we signed up for like four games of their without knowing it and they turned out to be a fun group and laid back. Totally friendly cept for a few people .. but that goes with any group.

Hoping to get to meet some peeps and enjoy the White Wolf and Star Wars game! Met some nice peeps at the one event so ya never know.... :)

And that is about all I can think of! I think I said alot tho!

Taylor Millard
Aug 12th, 2002, 10:22:07 PM
Soundsl ike you guys had fun.

And I thought the highlight of Chicago Con was eating calamari with Chuck Dixon? ;)

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 10:27:10 PM
that was chicago con! At Gen Con hrm ... what was the hightlight ... :: ponders ::

This be a tough one :\

Taylor Millard
Aug 12th, 2002, 10:29:12 PM
What about scaring the Buffy peeps with you character?

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 10:32:24 PM
I got so into character that people freaked because I was Dale the person playing the game that showed up and turned into Buffy :lol

Hence why I got 10 bucks in coupons.

Taylor Millard
Aug 12th, 2002, 10:42:10 PM
:lol :lol

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 10:44:23 PM
Drin played Xander =^-^= funny thing was, he was dressing like Xander that night too :lol

Sanis Prent
Aug 12th, 2002, 11:28:31 PM
:huh (has no idea where up and down are)

Daanarri Raurrssaatta
Aug 13th, 2002, 12:15:06 AM
*points up* Up!

*points down* Down!

Sounds like you had a blast, Drin and Dale. :)

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Aug 13th, 2002, 09:31:54 AM
Which part no understand Sanis?

And thankies =^_^= had lots of fun! Too bad it going to Indiana next year instead of Wisconsin :(

Sanis Prent
Aug 13th, 2002, 10:26:55 AM
why's that bad? Indiana's right by you

Drin Kizael
Aug 13th, 2002, 11:53:24 AM
Oh. I see the confusion for non-midwesterners.

Milwaukee is on the southern end of Wisconsin, an hour and a half north of Chicago. Staying 4 days means 3 nights at the hotel and a short drive.

Indianapolis is smack in the middle of Indiana, 3 and a half hours the opposite direction. That means an extra night at the hotel and over twice the driving time and gas.

Ironically, the main reason I doubt we can afford this next year is because all my money will be reserved for San Diego Comic-Con in July. :lol

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 13th, 2002, 02:31:34 PM
I wanna go to Comic Con! It looks like a blast. :(

Figrin D'an
Aug 13th, 2002, 03:16:30 PM
A friend and I stopped by Gen-Con on Sunday... walked around for a couple hours and looked at stuff. I'm not into tabletop RPG's, so that stuff was pretty uninteresting from my POV. The third floor, where they had the big merchandise room, was where we spent most of our time. Some neat swords and armorments... finally got to see the United Cutlery LOTR replicas... they look pretty good, especially Sting (Bilbo/Frodo's short sword). Would have been a nice addition to my collection, but I couldn't quite bring myself to spend the money for it. Saw lots and lots of pirated video/DVD for sale... one booth had the OT on DVD, along with the Holiday Special, and a lot of the fan films. Got an autographed copy of "I, Jedi." Michael Stackpole was at the WaldenBooks booth, signing stuff. Nobody was in line, either. So, I got to talk to him for about 10 minutes or so. He seems like a pretty cool guy. He personalized the autograph for me, and I got a pic taken with him. That was pretty much the highlight of the day.

So... it was... interesting. Not quite my cup of tea, but a lot of people frequent it and seem to have a lot of fun doing so. Certainly the place to be for tabletop RP'ers. It's too bad it's leaving Milwaukee... it brought a nice chunk of tourist income to the city... but, the housing issues are pretty much irresolvable.