View Full Version : Lotr Dvd....

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:53:32 PM
Just a bit of a warning, there are two versions - Pan/Scan that cuts some of the screen and Widescreen. Make sure you get Widescreen!

Thank God for Pre-order.... it's already getting close to selling out and it's only been availible for 40 minutes!!!!!

imported_Grev Drasen
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:56:44 PM
I have a friend that works for a rental place and he was supposedly going to hook me up with an early copy last night. Though, not surprisingly, he failed. Looks like I'll be making a trip to Wally World tomorrow afternoon to pick it up. I'll get any copy I can get my hands on.

Dalethria Mal Pannis
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:57:16 PM
is waiting for after the movies to come out :)

Sanis Prent
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:59:25 PM
(saves up for Band of Brothers instead)

Kineas Grimm
Aug 5th, 2002, 06:01:12 PM
The screener is fine with me, for now.

Anyways, I will probably get it on my birthday, this thursday.

:)

TheHolo.Net
Aug 5th, 2002, 06:12:16 PM
I am waiting for the extended version due in November.

Admiral Lebron
Aug 5th, 2002, 06:18:51 PM
Mark...must you brag about this in the two forums I check first?!

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 5th, 2002, 06:33:13 PM
Yes.... because it's about the first damn time Australia has gotten a decent release first - Before they sold out, as it's threatening to do already at 10 am in the morning.

ReaperFett
Aug 5th, 2002, 07:17:31 PM
You got TPM before the US :)

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:50:43 AM
I got a little badge to wear at work that advertises the Lord of the Rings DVD. The badge has Merry and Pippin on it.

Hunk
Aug 6th, 2002, 11:51:05 AM
::steals Wei's badge::

YOINK

Darth Viscera
Aug 6th, 2002, 12:54:24 PM
They're not getting my money until they offer me an extended version. FOTR original is just old hat.

Khan Surak
Aug 6th, 2002, 12:57:57 PM
(saves up for Band of Brothers instead)

Yesh! BTW, do you have a ballpark range on how much it is going to cost Sanis?

Lady Vader
Aug 6th, 2002, 12:59:51 PM
Don't have to worry bout buying it this time round as a friend pre-ordered it for me and is getting it for me. :D

But I am quite interested in getting the beefed-up version in November. Just means I'll have two copies (kinda like I have 4 copies of TPM... 3 on DVD and 1 on VHS... and I didn't buy a single one as they were all gifts :D)

Darth Viscera
Aug 6th, 2002, 01:02:22 PM
*ahem*

3 copies.

:spank
:headbash
:grumble

Xazor Elessar
Aug 6th, 2002, 01:21:08 PM
:lol I just rented FOTR twenty minutes ago.....and all of the copies are almost gone, though they have like a hundred. :lol I am renting it now and I am going to wait til Nov. to buy it. :D

Sad but true, this will be the first time I see it......(tonight when I watch it) :lol I am reading the book, that's why I did not see it in the theater....I didn't want to ruin it..............but I'm a bad girl and I can't hold out any longer!!! :lol

Ryla Relvinian
Aug 6th, 2002, 01:29:31 PM
I have the super extended one (nov release) on preorder at Amazon.com, and I get free shipping on it. Yay me!

Zasz Grimm
Aug 6th, 2002, 01:33:52 PM
You are forgiven, Xazor.

:D

Sanis Prent
Aug 6th, 2002, 01:34:42 PM
I'll save my money for signs, when it comes out on dvd.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Aug 6th, 2002, 02:15:28 PM
~.~ I rented it this morning at 10 AM it was thre last one and they had like 20!! I had to practically push ppl to actually grab one O_O Im soo gonna buy it!! ^_^

Xazor Elessar
Aug 6th, 2002, 02:31:25 PM
:lol Thanks Zasz.....hehehehe ;)

Figrin D'an
Aug 6th, 2002, 02:56:00 PM
Originally posted by Xazor Leo Dawnstrider
Sad but true, this will be the first time I see it......(tonight when I watch it) :lol I am reading the book, that's why I did not see it in the theater....I didn't want to ruin it..............but I'm a bad girl and I can't hold out any longer!!! :lol

I admire your will-power... not seeing it in the theatre because you hadn't read the book yet. There a lot of people I know that attempted to read the book first, but gave in and saw the film before they finished.

Originally, I wasn't going to get this release... I was just going to get the set in November. Then I read more info and discovered that the November releases have only the Extended cut. So, I decided to get this release as well... I'm all for having the extended version, and seeing some of what was cut out... but, I also like having the theater version, since that's the one that everyone came to love, and the one that won all the awards, etc. Kind of like having both the original and SE cuts of SW... I like the SE's (for the most part), but the original cuts are the ones that I grew up with and came to adore so much.

The 10 minute preview for 'The Two Towers' is great... Given everything that happens in the second book... even though a lot of us loved FOTR, we haven't seen anything yet... :)

ReaperFett
Aug 6th, 2002, 02:58:17 PM
I havent read the books, but got the four for my birthday. May read them :)

Alpha
Aug 6th, 2002, 03:45:13 PM
I'm finishing up on Return of the King now...they're really good!

Now I need to rent the DVD...:)

Morgan Evanar
Aug 6th, 2002, 05:36:28 PM
I've seen the theatrical release and November isn't far away.

I also haven't read the books in like 5 years. *shrug*

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2002, 05:49:48 PM
The 10 minute preview for 'The Two Towers' is great... Given everything that happens in the second book... even though a lot of us loved FOTR, we haven't seen anything yet...

Helm's Deep looks like it will be incredible. Figrin, are you going to be getting the Col.lectors edition in Nov, which is the five DVD set witht he bookends?

Alpha
Aug 6th, 2002, 06:41:12 PM
How much is the CE DVD Mark?

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2002, 06:42:20 PM
In USD I have no idea. Bet off asking Master Figrin or Ryla for that

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2002, 06:47:53 PM
I did manage to wait until I read FOTR before I saw it and I was glad I did. I've done a much better job with TTT. I finished it awhile ago so I'm all ready for this fall's release. My local WalMart had the widescreen for only $15.99! That's a pretty sweet deal. I'm still going to wait for the Nov. release. Ryla, how much is it running for on Amazon?

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2002, 06:52:59 PM
This is what Amazon had:
2. The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Series Extended Edition) (2001) -- Elijah Wood; DVD
Our Price: $25.99
3. The Lord of the Rings - The Fellowship of the Ring (Platinum Series Extended Edition Collector's Gift Set) (2001) -- Elijah Wood; DVD
Our Price: $59.94
The Collector's set had 4 discs and some other trinkets. But I couldn't tell if the cheaper Extended Edition also had four or just two discs. Does anyone know?

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2002, 06:54:02 PM
If it comes out in Nov, it has 4 discs

Alpha
Aug 6th, 2002, 07:19:24 PM
Thankies Jedieb! :)

Sean Piett
Aug 6th, 2002, 07:20:34 PM
Marcus- Thanks, I ALMOST got fullscreen.

Figrin D'an
Aug 6th, 2002, 07:39:13 PM
Marcus is correct. Both sets in November are 4-disc sets. The Collectors Set, however, includes a 5th DVD which contains the National Geographic special on New Zealand and the making of the films. The "Collectors Box" also includes the bookends and a few other small items. I have seen the Collectors Set listed for $49.99 a couple of places, but most are between $55-$65. The Extended Set is around $25. Today, I managed to pick up the theater cut (2 DVD set) for $14.50... not too shabby. :)

Marcus: I have the "Extended Edition" pre-ordered. I don't have any plans right now to get the big Collectors Set. The Argonath bookends look pretty cool, but I decided to pass on it, since I'm guessing that there is going to be a massively kick-butt Trilogy Collector's Set in 2004.

About the DVD: It just looks so brilliant and vivid. It's definately the best film-DVD transfer I've seen thusfar. Very clean and crisp, and alive with color, especially in the Shire/Hobbiton and Rivendell sequences. Considering how amazing this one looks, I can't wait for the AOTC DVD and how incredible that will be.

Sean Piett
Aug 6th, 2002, 07:49:03 PM
Helms Deep will be great, but I REALLY want to see how Jackson does the Ents.

Alpha
Aug 6th, 2002, 07:53:46 PM
The Ents should be fairly kewl! :) But Helm's Deep is the part I'm going to be drooling over...:)

Darth Viscera
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:10:28 PM
mmmm....entwives *drool*

Figrin D'an
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:16:44 PM
I have a good feeling that we are going to see a lot of detail and a lot of little things in TTT that will really satisfy Tolkien fans. Considering that PJ moved Boromir's death and Frodo and Sam's flight across the river to the end of FOTR, and he has decided to move most of the events concerned Shelob to the beginning of ROTK , that's going to allow even more film time to cover the rest of the book (assuming we get another ~3 hour film).

TTT is a much more personal and intimate than FOTR... I'm really looking forward to seeing some of that great character development portrayed on the screen. The One Ring's continual effect on Frodo, Aragorn changing from a quiet ranger into the heir to the throne of Gondor, the appearance and power of Gandalf the White ... good stuff. :)

Alpha
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:17:19 PM
oooooooooooook....:D

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:35:29 PM
:cry

*needs $$*

Figrin D'an
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:51:12 PM
Originally posted by Lilaena De'Ville
:cry

*needs $$*

:(

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:55:32 PM
*prays for a BIG raise*

My manager told me not to be upset if its only 20 cents. BUT I think I'll be upset anyway.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:57:17 PM
A very big radio station in Sydney ( > 500,000 listeners ) played a skit where Gandalf and Frodo tried to sell The One Ring to a pawn brokers shop called Cash Converters, Blacktown.

Which was very funny, cuse the whiney shop attendant would only give them 50 dollars.

There is a Cash Converters in Blacktown.

My brother is a manager there.

Buisness picked up 50% in the week in the jewelery department.

Co-incidence?

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Aug 6th, 2002, 11:01:26 PM
...i think not?

Enol Dryad
Aug 6th, 2002, 11:11:05 PM
What if there are no coincidences?

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 6th, 2002, 11:42:22 PM
:( stop crying, you're making me sad with your avatar. :(

Chase Starwalker
Aug 7th, 2002, 12:55:04 AM
oh no!

whenever I watch that movie I see about a dozen Jedi I know from somewhere...hmmm can't figure out where I've seen them before...

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 7th, 2002, 01:14:45 AM
"Marcus! These woods are perilous! We must turn back!"

"Lead them on Marcus..."

"Lets go hunt some Sith"

Dasquain : "Orcs!"

Dasquain : "It is not the eastern shore that worries me"

Leeloo Mina
Aug 7th, 2002, 02:55:57 AM
Whenever I watch just about any movie, I see lots of star wars characters. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Vega Van-Derveld
Aug 7th, 2002, 07:12:11 AM
Dasquain : "Orcs!"

Dasquian has a lot of one liners :x

Arya Ravenwing
Aug 7th, 2002, 11:51:02 AM
Aie aie, a balrog comes!

Jedieb
Aug 7th, 2002, 01:25:48 PM
I'm going to go with the 4 disc Extended version and pass on the collectors. AOTC is coming out the same day. It'll probably take me a month to see everything I buy that day.

Alpha
Aug 7th, 2002, 06:38:10 PM
I'm gonna get the big old set of FOTR, and AOTC...Assuming I can get the money...:) I'm poorer then most college students...:D

Hunk
Aug 7th, 2002, 07:51:57 PM
I was really hoping they'd have a little peek of the ents in the special features of this one.

But, alas, they did not

imported_Firebird1
Aug 8th, 2002, 02:45:18 AM
Yeah, I want AOTC in November so I got the two disc set now. WHo cares, it's LOTR!!!!

Worship it anyway!

Leeloo Mina
Aug 8th, 2002, 09:22:09 AM
I don't think I'm going to get LOTR.. I'm mostly burn out on it.. at least for a while. I liked it the first two times.. after that it got old.. I seen it like 5 times :x (which isn't anything big for me) plus with all the hype and stuff. I dunno. I'll probaly get it eventually. Would really be a waste right now, for me.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 9th, 2002, 04:46:58 PM
I'm just now reading the second book in the series. I agree with Hunk. That would be cool to see the Ents.

Nupraptor
Aug 11th, 2002, 09:10:15 PM
Hunk: They did have a little peek at the Ents in the footage they released at the end of FOTR in the theaters.