PDA

View Full Version : My Preciousssss!!!!!

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:50:03 PM
I have it! My copy of the LOTR:FOTR DVD!!!!!

And Widescreen too!

Be careful of that, there are two versions - Pan/Scan and Widescreen. Make sure you get the right one.

It looks reeeeaaaal lovely, but the second DVD is a touch weak with new content.

Now excuse me, I have some watching to do

Admiral Lebron
Aug 5th, 2002, 06:16:39 PM
Shuddup! Shuddup! Shuddup!

<-- doesn't get any FOTR DVD till november.. :cry

JMK
Aug 5th, 2002, 07:09:22 PM
Well folks, looks like we just lost Marcus!
Goodbye Mr. Marcus Q'Dunn, we'll miss you!
:p

ReaperFett
Aug 5th, 2002, 07:16:21 PM
Not long before the EP2 DVD. Then a day later, the US gets 1sec more, and the world is happy :)

sirdizzy
Aug 5th, 2002, 07:26:34 PM
i am torn on getting it because this is the weaker version (the november release has 30 minutes of additional footage and is 4 discs instead of 2 for just another $10) so i may end up waiting

Doc Milo
Aug 5th, 2002, 08:01:44 PM
I'm definitely waiting till november. Doesn't mean I won't rent this version, though...

Figrin D'an
Aug 5th, 2002, 09:44:56 PM
Remember though, guys... this release is the only way to get the theatrical cut of the film. The sets coming out in November have ONLY the Extended Cut of the film. So, if it matters to you to have the theater version, you might want to consider this release. The extras in the two DVD releases are different as well.

I'm going to pick up this release on Tuesday morning... I have the Extended Edition pre-ordered.

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 5th, 2002, 09:53:22 PM
AHHH!!! TTT preview with new footage!!!!

I am sooooooo 0wnd!

Taylor Millard
Aug 6th, 2002, 03:07:16 AM
I'm gettin' 'em both. Easier that way :D

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2002, 04:31:52 AM
:: Takes break from watching ::

Hey I have to admit quality wise, this is by far the best film to DVD transfer you will see so far. They have also done soe cleaning up of a few CG errors and made the film crisper and the sound.... OMG the sound you have to experience it. It's astounding. Rent it just to listen to the sound quality!!

JonathanLB
Aug 6th, 2002, 04:35:17 AM
I just want the extended version, and if it sucks, I will disown LOTR and become a Star Wars fan instead. Wait, err, I already am. Screw that.

Yeah I'm getting the extended version in November, that's good enough for me. :)

JMK
Aug 6th, 2002, 07:18:05 AM
I'm probably getting both. Once I get the extended version, I'll sell the theatrical version to some unsuspecting sucker.

As for film to dvd transfers, I CANNOT wait for the AotC dvd. It will be a straight master digital copy to dvd and is going to look amazing. Probably too amazing that the CG will be obviously CG.:p

ReaperFett
Aug 6th, 2002, 10:00:09 AM
Remember though, guys... this release is the only way to get the theatrical cut of the film. The sets coming out in November have ONLY the Extended Cut of the film. So, if it matters to you to have the theater version, you might want to consider this release. The extras in the two DVD releases are different as well.
Bet you work for the company selling LOTR ;)

I'll buy the later one. I only rebuy a film if a better edition is released that I didnt know of

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2002, 11:01:58 AM
I rented the DVD today, I will wait till Novemeber to buy it.

Figrin D'an
Aug 6th, 2002, 03:06:48 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett

Bet you work for the company selling LOTR ;)

LOL... yeah, I guess I did kind of sound like an advertisement, didn't I? ;)

I just thought I'd mention it though, since I know some people are picky about that kind of thing. Kind of like the original and SE versions of SW. Even though the SE's are cool (for the most part... *cough*Greedoshootingfirst *cough*), the original versions are the ones that a lot of us grew up with, so we kind of have a special affinity for them. With FOTR, the theater version is the one that wowed so many people, has created a whole new generation of Tolkien fans, and that was so critically acclaimed... I'll have my copy of the extended edition in November, but I kind of like having the original cut of the film as well.

Chalk it up to good marketing... New Line knows that their are people like me that will pay for both versions...

... and then buy the big uber-collectors set with all three films in 2004. :)

ReaperFett
Aug 6th, 2002, 03:46:55 PM
I dislike the gap though. Im waiting for the long version. I nearly got given the new version though for my birthday, exceot that it was 2 days after. My parents didnt know of some newer version

JonathanLB
Aug 6th, 2002, 04:51:02 PM
I grew up with the original versions of the Star Wars movies and have seen them probably more times, slightly, than the SE versions, but nonetheless I hope as long as I live I never have to see them again, LOL. I do not watch lesser versions of the same movie, that'd just be stupid. The SEs are far superior because the technology gap was amazing between then and 1977, and somewhat 1980 and 1983, though ROTJ and ESB were always looking better than ANH. That still is the case, unfortunately. It is why I think ANH needs to be redone more massively and then it'll be more equal with the other Star Wars films technically speaking. If they make the ultimate editions really complete enough, I would be prepared at that point to erase my own rankings and simply say that all Star Wars films are #1 to me, no order of preference, because I don't want to have to put ROTJ at 5th as it looks like it would be now, that's just stupid. ROTJ rocks and it sounds bad to put any SW film that far down the heap. 3rd of 3 sounds better than 5th of 6 or 6th of 6, so I'll most likely just change my rankings and make them all equal, if I feel that is actually the case with the next remake.

I should rent LOTR on DVD... I'd definitely enjoy seeing it again, but I won't buy the DVD until November.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:20:06 PM
:cry I need a DVD player. :cry

Alpha
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:24:55 PM
I don't have a DVD player. I have better. A PS2. :D :) :D

JediBoricua
Aug 6th, 2002, 09:59:25 PM
I'm just a sucker, I got my dvd and I will get the extended edition, then the complete trilogy....

so if they keep up this trend I will have three copies of each movie....crap! Why do I have to love tolkien? Of course not as much as mr. marcus here, but enough to get three copies of each movie...

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 6th, 2002, 11:09:35 PM
Why do I have to love tolkien?

I would say it is truly a worthwhile love affair....

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 7th, 2002, 12:28:48 AM
A DVD can't hold me...neither can a book...:cry

:lol

JonathanLB
Aug 7th, 2002, 04:59:40 AM
Book?! What the hell is that???

lol, j/k. Someday, I bet kids will say that. They will know what an ebook is maybe, or they will have some new name, but as for actual printed books they'll be like, "WTF? Why would anyone use that?"

One single DVD-RW could hold about 9,400 books. My hard disk could hold 222,000 novel length works. Even a stupid floppy disk can hold at least two. :) I know because I put my book on there twice, in two different versions, lol.

ReaperFett
Aug 7th, 2002, 12:09:45 PM
there was a great Penny Aracde joke about books like that Jon. Shame I lost it :)

I hate e-books. I have to stare at the screen too long, and cant take them with me

darth_mcbain
Aug 7th, 2002, 12:15:51 PM
In a way it makes sense, storing them digitally... It takes up so much less room and you can store so much. But a lot is lost - it just isn't the same as a real paper book... And I agree - I can't look at the screen that long before my eyes start whacking out...

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 7th, 2002, 12:30:50 PM
They have come out with a hand held device where you can read ebooks but it hasn't caught on yet, I personally can't read off a computer screen thought it would surprise me if in 50 years they will be more popular that regular books.

JMK
Aug 7th, 2002, 12:37:44 PM
I think it will be sooner than 50 years for sure.

On the other hand, I can hardly look at all the threads here without bugging out!

Jedieb
Aug 7th, 2002, 01:37:25 PM
If it were SW, I'd buy both the theatrical and the Extended version. But for FOTR I'll go with the Extended versions. Glad you hardcore Tolkien fans are having such a great time. Makes me kind of sad that we have to wait so long for the OT DVD's. :(

JMK
Aug 7th, 2002, 01:59:48 PM
Hijacking a little here, but if any of you are getting AotC on DVD, how many of you will get the collector's VHS as well? I think I will even though I very well may never watch it...;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 7th, 2002, 10:25:37 PM
I will...only because I DON"T HAVE A DVD PLAYER!

*:headbash something*

JediBoricua
Aug 7th, 2002, 10:29:47 PM
I sure hope books dont get discontinued, I save every book I read, I really want to have a huge library in my home when I'm old! Right now most of my stuff is sci-fi and fantasy, mostly SW and Tolkien, but lately i've been getting some political and economy books. I really want to go back to all of them in my old age, books are special IMO.

JediBoricua
Aug 7th, 2002, 10:31:42 PM
I would say it is truly a worthwhile love affair....

Oh I agree, but is it profitable?

darth_mcbain
Aug 8th, 2002, 08:55:21 AM
Well, I wasn't planning on getting this one, I was going to wait for November, but my wife surprised me with the Widescreen DVD last night, so I guess that settles it... I watched about half of it last night - I'll try to catch the rest tonight... It is pretty sweet though - and it makes me remember how much I enjoyed seeing it in the theaters...

JMK
Aug 8th, 2002, 10:25:28 AM
I've been busy the past couple nights, but i can't wait to get home and play it in my room. I'm especially anxious to watch the extra features!:rollin

darth_mcbain
Aug 13th, 2002, 09:56:49 AM
Has anyone had trouble with the sound on their DVD? I find that the voices are often drowned out by the music and I can hardly hear them. I am just playing it through my TV speakers, so I don't have an equalizer or anything, but it just seems kind of off to me. Anyone else notice that?

JMK
Aug 13th, 2002, 10:37:57 AM
I didn't have a problem with the sound, but at 1 hour and 40 minutes (passing through Caradhras) my DVD skips like crazy. I exchanged it, even though the guy was a total loser about it. If I'm not mistaken, someone else here (JMC maybe?) had a problem with the DVD they rented as well. I know of a couple others that had defective DVD's too. It certainly sounds like there are some serious problems within the production of the DVD. Hopefully it will be corrected for the Extended Edition.
EGADS!
If that many regular editions are screwed up, people will be forced to buy the Extended Edition as well. I mean, who wants a screwed up DVD? Conspiracy to up the sales?? Mwahaha! >D

darth_mcbain
Aug 13th, 2002, 11:11:10 AM
My DVD with the extras skipped a bit, but at least the movie disk doesn't skip... I'm debating going back...

JMK
Aug 13th, 2002, 11:30:21 AM
Bring it back dude. Why pay 100% for something that doesn't deliver 100%? Something was definetly amiss when they produced this one.:x

Figrin D'an
Aug 13th, 2002, 03:23:08 PM
Sound Issues:

By default, the sound mode for the film is set to Dolby 5.1 surround. Unless you have a 6-module set, change it to Dolby 2.0. It will sound a lot better if you just have a normal stereo setup or just through your TV. I discovered the difference when I tried to play it on my computer.

Bad discs do happen, though, as well.

JMK
Aug 14th, 2002, 07:08:33 AM
I think that would definetly be the cause of McBain's sound problems, especially if he were playing it on the speakers of his TV.
Bad sound issues on DVD are usually because the track on the DVD isn't very compatible with the receiver. An example of this would be JP not playing Dolby Digital on certain Harman Kardon receivers. Strange stuff to be sure, but it doesn't happen often.