PDA

View Full Version : How comcast distributes IPs.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 1st, 2002, 02:57:21 PM
As many of you know, some people here use comcast in Missouri.

I find that fairly remarkable considering how god awful it was in Tallahassee, but thats a bit beside the point.

Anyway, Comcast assigns a limited number of IPs per area, as does most any ISP.

This assignment is based on your physical address number, specificially the cable modem, and your machine's network identity.
For example:
(Description : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
Physical Address. : 06-03-3D-00-86-00
Each and every one of those is unique.

I call my little laptop "lappeh"

So whenever you sign on, the DCHP server goes "Oh hey, look, its lappeh, and his physical layer # matches what we have. Here's ip 24.60.128.XXX"

The pool of possible IPs, being assigned out on a purely local basis (per specific cable loop usually) gives it a really limited range.

They usually change every 3-4 days, or whenever you cold boot your cable modem.

Darth Vader
Aug 1st, 2002, 03:02:26 PM
So now, you too will be safe, when the damn godless commies attack! :lol

But ya, thank you for the info, from one comcast h0 to another.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 1st, 2002, 03:17:56 PM
Comcast h0 nothing. EARTHLINK! NO CARNIVORE!!!

Darth Vader
Aug 1st, 2002, 03:23:00 PM
And yes, even in Tuscaloosa...comcast sucks like a diesel hoover

Marcus Telcontar
Aug 1st, 2002, 04:22:52 PM
Another not so known point about DHCP - if your a known machine, your IP you lease will be the same, because unless you have not logging for say a few days, you have an active lease. DHCP will hand you back the active lease.

You also have reserved space and also static leases, where you will get the same lease everytime you request a lease. A few network have long TTL's (Time to lives) which will also increase the likelihood of regaining the same IP number. On corporate networks, you set the TTL high to stop broadcast traffic. On a always on service, you set the TTL high as well.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Aug 1st, 2002, 04:46:47 PM
Yes I noticed this as well. My IP changed nil....because I had maybe 5 minutes of cumulative internet downtime the entire of last year. That is not including when lameass comcast couldn't keep their servers up and running though

Darth Viscera
Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:10:46 AM
(What's the point of this info?)

Yeah, Comcast blows goats here next to D.C. also.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:29:04 AM
Eh, someone tried to squeal of out getting caught red handed. And if you read this, you know why they're completely FOS.