PDA

View Full Version : The second day of training (Navaria Tarkin)

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 11:47:23 AM
Wei Wu Wei had woken up early. Yesterday's lesson was still fresh in his mind. He put on the light clothes he had set aside for today's lesson. Wei ran to the place outside the Academy where his master had told him to meet her. It was going to be such a great day.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:06:32 PM
Navaria had also opted for lighter clothing. She wore a loose fitting white tank top that covered the area around her neck, and a pair of black grey pants that also were comfortable. Wei saw that her sabre was ever present and his Master had worn her usual boots when he noticed her presence.

She was walking up to him without any pretense. It was not a lesson in stealth she was teaching.

"Good morning to you."

And then Navaria bowed.

"Sleep well?"

It was as subtle reference to Wei's soreness from yesterday's hand to hand encounter.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:11:56 PM
Wei stretched. "I slept like something that sleeps very very soundly."

Wei yawned. He still felt like he was in bed, but the feeling soon passed.

"Training yesterday was good. I did some stretching before I went to bed as a kind of cool-down from yesterday's lesson. It's sort of a habit my father taught me. Becuase Granpa's training was so intense."

Wei bounced lightly on his toes.

"What will I be learning today, Master?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:30:40 PM
"Today's lesson will be ..."

Navaria clasped her hands in front of her and smiled willfully.

"... how to lift stones twice your size."

Wei followed her gaze at the generous rocks that littered the base of the jungle. Some were pebbles and others were the size of Navaria and Wei put together.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:34:23 PM
Wei smiled. He knew full well he couild not pick up those rocks with his hands. however, he knew it could be done. He just didn;t know how.

Wei scratched the back of his head, making his ponytail swish slightly.

"Umm....ok..." he siad nervously.

Wei was hoping he would understand soon.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:53:19 PM
"Um, okay?"

She crossed her arms and raised a brow, repeating her Padawan's response.

"No ideas on how to accomplish what I said?"

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:56:56 PM
"I imagine we will use the Force, but I'm not sure how."

Wei suddenly remembered his attempt to levitate his master.

"I guess it would be like when I tried to levitate you, but I'm not sure how I did that."

Wu Wei looked down and sheepishly kicked at the ground.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:58:24 PM
"Nope. Not like that."

She shifted her weight to stand more on her left side.

"Guess again. Using the Force is too obvious an answer."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 07:01:27 PM
Wei let his legs collapse out form under him and he took an abrupt seat on the ground. If he tried too hard to think of the answer, the answer would never come. He let his mind wander a little.

"I guess I would act like I was picking up the rock, but the Force would pick it up instead of me directly picking it up..." He muttered out loud. He wasn;t really talking ot his master, but if somewhere during his thought process he found the answer, he wanted to know he had found it.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2002, 09:40:20 PM
"Now you are trying too hard."

Navaria let her legs fold under her gracefully, unlike Wei's abrupt landing on the ground.

"Why is it that most new Padawans, and sometimes Jedi, feel that everything can be lifted with the Force through the mind.

Come now, haven't you ever thought of lifting it yourself. Just Wei."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 09:54:06 PM
"well, yeah, but I'd hurt myself. I'm simple-minded, but I'm not stupid."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2002, 10:06:12 PM
"You'd hurt yourself?"

Navaria looked at Wei and shrugged, standing up. She glanced around the area until her eyes fell upon a suitable rock.

She hummed to herself and made her way over to it. The top was jagged and one could easily cut their hands. The sides were much smoother and Navaria took note that the stone laid flat on the ground. No hand holds.

It would still work for the demonstration. The large stone had to be at least one hundred fifty pounds and to try and move it without any sort of leverage was near impossible, especially since the rock was half her size.

Placing a hand on the surface, Navaria noticed that it was partially damp from the humidity outside. Another deterrant but Navaria would not stare at the signs of defeat so easily.

She was a Jedi after all.

Closing her eyes and channeling the Force, the energy quickly fell into her body in a steady flow. She focused on her muscles in her arms and legs. The power that could be found within her shoulders... And pushed up against the rock. Navaria dug into the ground with her feet and gritted her teeth while shoving the stone with her left shoulder and right palm placed against its surface.

Nothing happened for awhile. Then Wei noticed something incredible.

His petite Master was able to lift the stone off the ground! It was only perhaps centimeters, but he saw the shadow. Then centimeters grew to inches, which then became feet until ...

WHAM!!!!

... the stone was pushed over onto its side.

A slight trickle of sweat meandered down Navaria's face as her breathing began to slow down. The energy that was still coursing through her body to give her strenght was then turned inwards, to calm her mind and body until she was relaxed.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 10:12:52 PM
Wei's jaw dropped.

"Ummm....uhhh...welll." Wei fumbled for words then finally found one that would suit his purpose.

"Wow."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 30th, 2002, 10:19:46 PM
She rolled her shoulders to ease the rest of the tension from accomplishing her feat. Back and forth her neck rock and finally Navaria spoke.

"You can do that too and you have the tools to do them. Now tell me how you would do this."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 10:26:21 PM
"Well, I would do that thing you taught me yesterday. Finding my grounded state and let the Force come to me. Then I would channel the Force through my arms and juist give the rock a great big heave."

Wei hoped he had given Navaria a satisfactory answer.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 31st, 2002, 03:35:10 PM
"It isn't so much as strengthening your arms, Wei. The focus is making your body stronger. Your mind is open to the Force and its possibilites.

That is what gives you the strenght.... The physical might is given to you by the Force but..."

She pokes Wei's forehead gently and then at his heart.

"... those are what give you the tools to make it happen. Without those, then you can be pushing at the stone all day and not budge it at all."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 31st, 2002, 03:38:59 PM
Wei laughed. Now he understood. It was partly his feelings. Like channeling your emotions. Grandpa had mentioned something about that before.

"Ok, I think I got it. Can I try to move a rock now?"

as an after thought he added, "Please?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 31st, 2002, 08:05:21 PM
Navaria sat down next to Wei and waved her hand at the rock.

"By all means but do try to not push yourself too hard. Learning things like this take practice. Forcing yourself to accomplish the task will result in injury."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 31st, 2002, 08:52:21 PM
Wei nodded. "Yes, Ma'am."

Wei walked over to a rock. He placed his hands on it and allowed the Force to enter his body. He channeled it into his arms and heaved on the rock. It moved slightly, but refused to leave the ground. Wei let out a breath and pulled harder. The rock slowly lifed an inch or so off the ground.

Then as quickly as he had lifeted it, Wei put the rock back down.

"Goodness, that wasn't so bad." It reminded Wei of the first time he had broken a board. "I imagine Jedi don't usually do this sort of thing often." He let out a small chuckle.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 31st, 2002, 10:59:45 PM
She laughed.

"Most decide to lift the stone through the mind, not with physical strength. In a way, it shows how we can be narrow minded, that there is only one path.

What I show is that there are endless possibilities into accomplishing your goal.

Quick path, or slow path. The choice is yours."

Her smile grew.

"On a less somber note, I wanted you to see that anything is possible."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 31st, 2002, 11:05:22 PM
"Yes, ma'am, I will do my best to remember that."

Wei turned to the rock again.

"Round Two!"

Wei picked the rock up again, but this time, a little higher before setting it back down.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 1st, 2002, 08:57:18 PM
Navaria watched patiently. Wei would either accomplish the task or keep trying until he hurt himself. If it came to the latter, she would be an end to the task and move onto something else.

All she did, for now, was throw her Padawan a look of encourgement.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 4th, 2002, 04:33:18 PM
Wei let out his breath and threw the rock a solied 2 feet.

"That was fun. Now what happen, Master?"

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 4th, 2002, 08:03:04 PM
"Now what happen?"

She frowned.

"Not sure what you are asking Wei. What happens next or is there something else you mean."

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 4th, 2002, 08:06:04 PM
"What sort of exercise will we do next?" Wei said, hoping that was clear enough. Wei probably should not have been so demanding of his master. It was really up to her to decide when to move on in the lesson. He would remember to hold his tongue in the future.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 4th, 2002, 09:11:10 PM
"Exercise?"

Navaria had to smile.

"Do you not think perhaps you should deal with the soreness in your body first?"

There were repercussions to using such abilities of the Force. A Jedi using his abilities for the first time in lifting a stone as Wei did would find that his muscles were quite stiff. He pushed his muscles past the limits they normally could go excellently.

And there were also techniques used to stop the Jedi from stiffening up from such exertion. Otherwise, they would be an easy target!

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 5th, 2002, 09:35:27 AM
Wei thought about that. "Well, yes, of course." Wei patiently awaited his master's next instructions.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2002, 09:41:35 AM
"What gives the Jedi his strength, can also relax him. Like with meditation but instead of clearing your mind... You are clearing your body."

She looked to Wei seeing if he understood.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 5th, 2002, 09:48:03 AM
Wei's jaw went somewhat slack and he made a noise as though he were expressing awe. He gave his head a slight nod. "Is it like being asleep?"

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2002, 09:55:46 AM
"Not excatly ... Sleep is resting completely. Relaxing your body makes it more flexible and as the Force enters you, the stress building inside is pushed out.

Stress can mean many things. Mental stress of day to day activities or the stress you forced your muscles to do. There is give and take for everything, Wei.

Now, why do you not try and focus on cleansing your body ... you have the tools of meditating with your mind. Use that and follow your instincts, let the Force guide you until your body is at the state it was before we began this exercise."

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 5th, 2002, 02:28:57 PM
Wei relaxed his body and closed his eyes, focusing on the Force. Very slowly, he began to feel rejuvenated. His muscles no longer felt worn out and he became very much awake and alert. He felt wonderfully relaxed.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2002, 03:43:15 PM
"Now that you are back to your full strenght ..."

Navaria stood up and dusted herself off.

"You are now ready for the next lesson."

She started running off into the jungle at full speed. Not enhanced by the Force, just the Knight's regular physical capacity.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 5th, 2002, 04:16:06 PM
Wei watched his master disappear into the forest.

"Where are you going, Master?" Called Wei.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2002, 04:21:38 PM
She looked back with a frown wondering why Wei didn't get the hint.

While the Knight ran, Navaria reached out through the Force to touch her Padawan's mind.

Follow me quickly! Otherwise you will not catch up.

Then there was a pause.

Actually you most definitely won't catch up at this point. A shame ... I was going to show you something most interesting.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 5th, 2002, 04:28:15 PM
Wei soon understood and felt somewhat stupid for not just fololowing her.

"I'll catch you yet!" Wei yelled and dashed off after her.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2002, 04:54:55 PM
The jungle was full of trees and vines hanging down from the canopy. Even with the best of her ability, Navaria was sometimes whipped by the foliage because she needed to jump over stones and dart around trees in her way.

Going to catch me? How. You cannot even see me or where I am.

She was playing with her Padawan. If he was going to catch up to her, let alone find her, Wei was going to have to be creative.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:01:43 PM
Wei grinned. He knew which way his master was headed. She was headed away from him. Wit that in mind, he ascended to the trees and jumped from the branches in an away sort of direction.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 5th, 2002, 05:11:48 PM
Wei's lifeforce ascended into the trees and Navaria thought it most interesting. Her pupil would never instantly think of using the Force first. He would always rely on his skill first and foremost. An excellent trait for certain but could also be a handicap.

Especially when Navaria let go her thoughts and channeled the Force, increasing stamina and speed.

She became a blur in the shadowy jungle, extending her senses so her reflexes matched the speed she was going.

How embarrassing would it be to see a Jedi Knight smack right into a tree?

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 6th, 2002, 09:46:06 AM
Wei knew his Master would be going at a pretty good clip. Not that it mattered. Wei would find her sooner or later. All he had to do was just follow her and he'd find her soon enough.

"We have to be patient. And wait," he said to himself.

Wei's mind flahsed back to his Navaria's Force message and he sudden;y knew where to go.

"Here I come!" He shouted. He really needed to learn how to send a Force message. All that yelling was hurting his throat.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:31:38 PM
Navaria sensed Wei's wishes and it would all be learned. In time.

Half a mile to go and the Knight peered behind her, looking up into the trees. She couldn't see Wei but knew he was there... still able to feel him close behind. He was keeping up with her quite well.

Little did Wei know that the trees were going to thin out very soon .... In fact, they already had. Only Navaria really knew that because she lived on Yavin for a long time now. Wei was still new ....

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:41:14 PM
Wu Wei saw the trees begin to grow father apart, and he took a great leap off of one and hit the ground running. It would only be a matter of time before he caught her. As he continued to run, he did as his Master had taught him to do earlier and rejuvenated himself, maintaining his speed all the while.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 6th, 2002, 08:54:21 PM
She heard him hit the ground because of the deep breath that was forced out of his mouth and turned around. Navaria said nothing, only nodded, pleased with his use of the Force thus far. Wei was using the lessons perfectly. With the humidity hanging in the air, lungs were being pushed to their limits and both were covered in sweat from the exertion. Using the Force, it didn't hinder them at all.

Navaria refocused her attention forward because she knew what was coming. The trees were thinning out faster now and a new smell was in the air... There was a sweetness that was very fresh and as they continued to run, it became stronger. Soon, both Jedi could hear the sound of running water ...

Then the jungle opened up completely up ahead as was evident by the bright sun hitting the ground, illuminated the grass and stones. Closer and closer they ran, and Wei took noticed immediately that the running water was at least a thirty foot river! Also, Navaria wasn't slowing at all ... In fact, she was gaining in speed. She wasn't quite a blur but she was definitely running faster then any normal human should.

Arms pumping hard and legs pushing her to the limits, Navaria had cleared her mind of everything, except her objective. Upon stepping at the last possible source of ground before it was just water, Navaria jumped ... Cleared ... And landed safely on the other side on one knee.

She steadied herself with a hand and then stood up, waving at Wei from the other side.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 6th, 2002, 09:00:12 PM
Wei came at the water and sw his master waving at him. He smiled at her and focused more of the Force into his running. Wei felt his ffot touch the water and began to nimbly run across the water's surface. At the other side he stopped and held out a hand to his master.

"That was a wonderful run."

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 7th, 2002, 09:12:21 AM
At first she was silent but then a grin crept along her face slowly until Navaria took his hand.

"Creative that was. What made you think to do that, Wei?"

He did employ the Force in able to accomplish his feat. Granted, now what Navaria was trying to teach him but when it came to Wei, he was very good at improvising.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 7th, 2002, 10:42:46 AM
Wei smiled. "Well, grnadpa taught me how to fight on all sorts of terrain. We fought once on quicksand. the idea was not to sink. Wei had to move very quickly and lightly. It was hard. I lost a shoe."

Wei laughed. "So I figured 'water, quicksand, same thing.' Then I just increased my speed and ran along the water. I didn;t really think about it. I could have jumped like you did, but I guess I was too lazy."

Wei laughed again.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 7th, 2002, 02:54:42 PM
"Well ... Time to not be lazy."

She stepped back a few feet and pointed at the river.

"You have shown me that your mind is sharp. Time to finish the lesson."

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 8th, 2002, 09:39:43 PM
Wei looked at his teacher and the at the river. Then back at his teacher. Then at the river once again.

"Master, I don;t understand. Please explain."

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 07:12:32 PM
"You know how to move the rock but not jump the river?"

Navaria glanced to her left and watched the calm of the water.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 12th, 2002, 08:09:23 PM
Wei looked at the water.

"So I jump over the river? Or do I pick up the river? Or both?"

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 08:26:36 PM
"What did I do? If you cannot answer that question easily enough think back to what you saw me do .... Reach out with the Force and find the answer for yourself."

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 12th, 2002, 08:49:18 PM
Wei felt his face become suddenly hot with embarassment as he realized what had been asked of him.

"Oh...now I remember," he said in a small voice.

Wei took a dew steps back, ran at the river, and focusing more strenght into his legs, he jumped high over the river and landed on the other side. As his feet touched the ground, he slipped, getting one of his feet wet.

"Should I do it again, Master?" Wei called to Navaria.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 12th, 2002, 09:21:19 PM
She chuckled somewhat.

"No ... that was good enough."

Without so much flair, Navaria found a few stones and rocks that created a difficult bridge to cross the river. With a trained eye to spot the dangerous slippery spots on the stones, she navigated to the other side... boots only a little soaked from traversing the river.

"Are there anymore applications to what you saw me do as we raced through the forest. You focused on strength ... But I did accomplish other things."

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 13th, 2002, 01:50:25 PM
"Such as?" Wei asked, hoping he didn;t already know the answer.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 14th, 2002, 10:08:31 AM
"Such as instantly opening my mind to the Force ... Increasing my speed to make that jump easier.

The key to being a Jedi is to be at peace with yourself. Without a sound mind that is focused and channeling the Force with purity ... All the cleverness in your mind will not make up for what is lacked in your heart... The Force is always with you but you need to trust in it. The power is all around you ... If you know how to channel it properly and know how to look for it."

It was a lesson Navaria had already went over with Wei but it was essential. Repeating it again was only helping to reinforce these concepts.

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 14th, 2002, 02:50:50 PM
Wei nodded. "Yeah!" He said excitedly. "My heart beats strong when I am concentrating on the Force. It's a strong heartbeat, but also a friendly heartbeat."

Wei laughed and shook his wet foot.

"I hate wet shoes."

Wei sat down and removed both his shoes and socks.

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 15th, 2002, 10:33:39 AM
She smiled a little, her upper torso shaking with unheard laughter.

"That is all for today, anyway. You can return now to the Academy, get dried up and meditate on today's lesson. Tomorrow we shall start again."

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 15th, 2002, 02:48:13 PM
Wei smiled. "Tomorrow is good. What time and where?" He asked. "Will it be early, like today?"

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 16th, 2002, 10:31:49 AM
"After lunch in one of the sparring rooms. The room assignment will be sent to you in the morning.

Any questions before you are dismissed?"

It was always customary for Navaria to ask that. Sometimes Padawans felt embarrassed in asking questions but without them, how were they going to learn about life and the Force?

Wei Wu Wei
Aug 17th, 2002, 09:50:16 AM
"No, ma'am, no questions." Wei bowed and began to walk away. "I'll be at the place after lunch tomorrow. Thanks for the lesson, I appreciate your time spent on me."

Navaria Tarkin
Aug 18th, 2002, 04:56:41 PM
"And I appreciate your hard work in training, Wei. You are a fine Padawan."

She added quickly before Wei disappeared too far away and then turned around, walking deeper into the jungle.