PDA

View Full Version : Computer Problems.....

Xazor Elessar
Jul 29th, 2002, 04:02:56 PM
Hey everyone...just wanted to let you know that I'll be off for a day or so.....probably just til tomorrow. I can only get on my mom's comp for a few minutes at a time while mine is having some probs. I upgraded Windows ME to 2000 and now my Ethernet Card is on the fritz......sigh.....I lost the boot disk so now we have to take it to our friend's and have him load his disks. Sorry about this guys....cya really soon! :)

Xaz'

Morgan Evanar
Jul 29th, 2002, 04:16:37 PM
Never, ever upgrade windows =p

Xazor Elessar
Jul 29th, 2002, 04:22:00 PM
:lol Surprisingly enough, that is my only problem! My mom upgraded hers and it totally dumped her whole system! :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:16:14 PM
Strangely enough, the times I have dared to upgrade 98 to 2000 it worked. WinME I would never dare. Then again, I have never used ME

Xazor Elessar
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:20:08 PM
ME absolutely sux! :lol That's why I got rid of it! :lol It came on my computer when I bought it two years ago....the worst thing they could have ever put on it. *sigh* Now 2000 is making me reload my Ethernet card for our cable modem...*sigh* and I lost the boot disk for it. *sigh* so now I am sneaking on my mom's comp whenever I can. :lol She's not home right now...good thing for me...heheheh

ChildOfTheForce
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:48:31 PM
If your going to upgrade to anything, upgrade to XP. The system is extremely stable and virtualy unhackable, without spending hours at your computer to try it. Dont ask me how i know, cuz i wont tell you :-)

Xazor Elessar
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:57:51 PM
:lol I know XP is awesome...that's what my mom has. I don't have a drive to save everything on, though....so I would have to dump my whole system to upgrade to that. The other prob with that, is, you can only use it on one computer. They have a way of knowing if you used it on more than one. *sigh* :( So, it's a ton of money and not worth it for what I use my comp for.

ChildOfTheForce
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:00:06 PM
I would have to agree with that.

Lady Vader
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:32:09 PM
(Pay no attention to the mask.)

So, you're telling me I shouldn't upgrade 95 to 98? Hell, I want something better.

Of course, I was gonna copy the entire harddrive to the empty one on my new comp so in case the whole thing died, my stuff wouldn't be lost. :D

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:44:38 PM
The system (XP) is extremely stable and virtualy unhackable

Stable, absolutly. Virtually unhackable? NO. Gove me about 2 minutes and I'll get into just about any NT based system., unless properly secured. You still have to do one hell of a lot of work to do a proper lockdown, then go to EFS and a cert based authentication. Oh, dont install Office, stop NETBios packets, filter packets, remove non required services, tighen the registry, dont install P2P software, dont allow Java or Flash to run, or ActiveX controls, then put the thing behind a SecureNAT and then a Firewall. Then I would considermyself virtually unhackable. I'm not as hot a hand as I was about two years ago (cause I lost a job due to a hacking incident) and not up with the latest, but there are all sorts of exploits I could think of to break an XP system. The best one is what I really like doing - social engineeering. Your system is only as secure as the person on the keyboard.

And yeah Xaz, go with XP if you can. It's a much more livable OS

ChildOfTheForce
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:48:16 PM
Ok, i was wrong...

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:54:09 PM
I also work as one of these animals you cage in a computer room called a System / Network Administrator. The worst variety is known as the BOFH (Bastard Operator From Hell), of which I am a proud broom carrying member. I'm the guy who users fear and other techhies tread softly around, for I am the foaming loony type of geek. You have to be to cope with some of the stuff that turns up in this job - like the luser who reset the default language of a printer to Spanish. God knows how, she cant bloody switch a PC on right.

Xazor Elessar
Jul 29th, 2002, 08:24:46 PM
:lol

::hides:: Umm...I'm afraid of Marcus now! ;) Don't hack my comp or...well...I'll die! :lol I have a bunch of firewall crap set up, and it drives me absolutely insane! Oh well....it's doing its job! :)

Sanis Prent
Jul 30th, 2002, 01:33:37 AM
XP is the most utterly jaw-droppingly badass OS I have seen in all my years of computer geekdom (which there are 7)

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:01:44 AM
Dunno if I would go that far, but yes, it's more than good enough, finally a consumer level OS that works - W2K did that for business. I reckon 70% of my support calls disappeared when W2K was implimented. I have the odd problem with XP on my laptop, but I have all sorts of wacko things running as well that contribute. The real test is to ask if you would shift off XP - in most cases, the answer is no. And very technical people like XP, which must say something too.

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:53:12 AM
>_< hope your computer .. is .. alright ?

:x

Xazor Elessar
Jul 30th, 2002, 09:39:32 AM
:lol Today I turned it on and all I got was a DOS setup. :x It won't get past it no matter how many times I try to run windows. :( :( :( I am taking it to get it fixed hopefully tonight. I am going nuts without it....it's like taking my right arm.... :lol

Sanis Prent
Jul 30th, 2002, 11:49:00 AM
mmm DOS :)...

(goes downstairs, boots up the old 486, and plays X-COM :D)

Xazor Elessar
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:54:41 PM
:lol ! ;)