PDA

View Full Version : RL Lightsaber construction (serious science question)

Darth Viscera
Jul 29th, 2002, 11:46:40 AM
Serious question/discussion, if I may:

Hypothesis: One can use a 300mhz computer processor to regulate the flow of power from a battery to a laser pointer, thereby inhibiting through precision the distance a laser beam may be allowed to go. A laser beam could be activated and stay put at 1 meter, giving us bonafide lightsabers when fitted to a hilt and given some modifications so that the laser beam is actually visible.

The thing that prevents us from making an actual lightsaber is the lack of termination of a laser beam. The darn light just keeps on going, and won't stay stuck in place at 1 meter like in the movies with lightsabers. A cheap laser will be completely decayed at 1km, but what we need is a laser beam that terminates at 1 meter.

Now, the speed of light kicks in. Thank the dieties, light travels very slowly, so slowly in fact that my hypothesis is that you can manipulate it. The speed of light is:

300,000 kilometers per second

now, to turn that into a term we can use:

300,000,000 meters per second

Now that may seem awful fast, but who here is using a 300 megahertz processor? My computer is 1333 Mhz. That means that 1,333,000,000 times a second my computer is generating 0s and 1s, 0s to void a operation and 1s to activate it. All these operations, when used en masse, give you your windows graphical interface, and make those silly smilies to my left roll their eyes, laugh and jump about.

Now if a 300mhz processor could directly regulate power output, serve as a gas pedal for energy transfer from a battery to a laser pointer, we could get somewhere. A 1, to activate the laser pointer, and a 0 to deactivate it. Now as there are 300 million operations a second, that 1 will, in theory, produce a beam of light that extends 1 meter into the air for 1/300000000 of a second, certainly invisible to the human eye. However, if 50% of those operations are 1s and the other 50% are 0s, 10101010 and so on 300 million times a second, then in theory you would have a laser light which appears static extending 1 meter and abruptly stopping at 1 meter, as opposed to continuing until the laser degrades at 1km. Activation, deactivation, activation, deactivation, 300 million times a second, each activation only given enough time to extend 1 meter because a laser light travels the speed of light.

An object in motion will continue to be in motion unless acted on by an outside force.

I propose that the 150 million deactivations per second of the processor/power regulator is that force.

Opinions, please? Anyone else theorize that this operation would in fact create a static laser at 1 meter?

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Jul 29th, 2002, 11:52:11 AM
it would be interesting to see a test of this :)

Darth Viscera
Jul 29th, 2002, 11:54:53 AM
Yeah, but how do we make a processor regulate power output? LOL, I'm going to need a soldering iron, aren't I? :p

Morgan Evanar
Jul 29th, 2002, 11:58:56 AM
Won't work. You haven't solved the problem of actually stopping the light. Once the particles are free and projected, they're free and projected. Fin. This is how light and lasers work. A sufficent annolgy would be that of a hose. You spray water, you turn it off, but the water you sprayed until the turnoff will still travel x distance. On/off won't solve that (assume full instant water pressure, which is how light works).

You need something to limit the distance of the light.

ReaperFett
Jul 29th, 2002, 12:00:10 PM
I was thinking about this. Techically, couldnt you make the laser burn out quickly, meaning that most of the beam is pathetically unpowered?

Darth Viscera
Jul 29th, 2002, 12:13:00 PM
@Morgan

Good point.

@Reaperfett
You mean give the laser just enough power to project up to 1 meter?

We need a real outside force, then. A leaf is an outside force. We need an outside force that can be synthesized and projected 1 meter, go into contact with the laser and terminate it. Electricity is invisible to the naked eye, yet becomes visible when acted upon by an outside force, like during a lightning storm. If a beam of electricity intercepted the laser light at 1 meter, would they both form a reaction that would be visible?

ReaperFett
Jul 29th, 2002, 12:16:27 PM
hmm, dont know. SUppose they would

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Jul 29th, 2002, 12:23:29 PM
The problem is, you have to have a sudden and massive intensity degredation for it to work. For one meter after starting, the laser has to be intense enough to cause matter vaporization...and anything after 1 meter has to be harmless. That means it has to go through a stage of standard combustion, then maybe a lower heat setting, something that would cause 2nd degree and 1st degree burns, etc. Its a lot of power to step down in a short distance. I don't know how that could be done.

Darth Viscera
Jul 29th, 2002, 12:44:06 PM
Hmm...another idea. A triple laser.

Fact-When red, blue and green combine, you get white.
Fact-When two sound waves intercept each other, such as in the hypershound device which Mr. Norris created, they create a third (audible) sound wave.

Taking this into account, a laser could in theory be programmed that would become visible when intercepted by another laser....*trails off*

*becomes disgruntled, goes downstairs and aims a laser at several mirrors, trying to get the reflected beams to intercept each other and become visible...fails*

Okay, Plan L: Let's go to George Lucas' house, shake him awake, pour a bucket of water on his face and tell him to STOP MAKING HIS LIGHTSABERS DEFY PHYSICS DAMMIT!

Okay...you think that coherent lasers (like lightsabers-the kinds that cut through things, as opposed to incoherent lasers, which don't cut through things) would be subject to a different set of rules, and that's how they can abruptly terminate at 1 meter?

Darth Viscera
Jul 29th, 2002, 12:52:20 PM
@Charley

Would a powerful laser go through such combustion if it intersected with a beam of electricity? Say the laser is drawing 15 volts at a rate of 10,000 milliamps per hour, and the electricty beam is equal to that amount of power. Would they combust, and if so, would it be visible?

Lady Vader
Jul 29th, 2002, 02:03:20 PM
I'm not high on techy talk, and most of that flew over my head, but I was just wondering...

In order to stop the beam at about 1 meter or so, what about putting some sort of apparatus or disk or something at the lights originating source that acts like a magnet. Not strong enough to keep the light from "escaping", but strong enough to call it back after so much a length.

Uh, did that make any sense at all? I know what I'm thinking, but not sure if it came across right...

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 29th, 2002, 02:25:35 PM
Lightsabres are "supposed" to be a magnetic "bottle", that contains the plasma that is the actual blade. The onyl way it could work is to get a strong enough field effect

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 29th, 2002, 02:27:24 PM
No no, I understood that perfectly cause I was thinkin' of something like that too; I was just a little apprehensive about mentioning it.

I'm not too good on techtalk either, so don't worry.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 29th, 2002, 02:39:47 PM
That could work LV, but the problem then is that you can only slash with the blade. Also, a magnetic field of that strength would frell most electionics in that area.

Darth Viscera
Jul 29th, 2002, 03:39:35 PM
I don't see how the magnet would affect the laser beam and prevent it from getting past 1 meter.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 29th, 2002, 04:24:06 PM
Vis, it's simple. Look in a CRT. Electron guns, where the beams are bent by magnets. Lasers can also be affected. But why bother with a laser if you have the technology to construct tightly controlled field effects like that, superheat the air trapped in the field effect and turn it into plasma.

Lady Vader
Jul 29th, 2002, 04:43:04 PM
Oh good. So I'm not completely off my rocker. :p

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:33:46 PM
Yes you are, but that doesn't have anything to do with this. :D I was thinking something along the same lines..but then it all disappeared and I can't remember what I was thinking.

D'oh.

Darth Viscera
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:17:57 AM
Huh, I didn't know that.

*tries to find a magnet so he can start bending light*

holy crap, Philadelphia Experiment O.O