PDA

View Full Version : Could Anyone Help Me With Something?

Daren Trevelan
Jul 27th, 2002, 08:08:04 AM
I am a relatively good artist (I don't haev a scanner so I can't show you my works) and am aspiring to be better. I often try to draw cover art for my books and have drawn up a cheap little card game with my little brother (trust me, most the pictures on those cards are crap, I doodled them so that I could be able to play it, hehe, stupid lack of effort).

Now with my school being unwilling to teach me art (they want me to stay in ROTC, and as much as I like that, they are only allowing me one elective) and so I have to find other sources. So I am wondering, can anyone here by any chance who has any art talent post here suggestions for drawing fantasy, sci-fi, and realistic types?

And one other thing, could you possibley post here links to good tutorials? Thank you very much, I'd very much appreciate it.

-Daren

Jasmine
Jul 27th, 2002, 08:11:02 AM
Ciara and I can and would be more than happy to help you out :)

Daren Trevelan
Jul 27th, 2002, 08:13:02 AM
Eeeeeexcellent! Thank you very much! Would you be posting here or would I PM you or woudl you PM me or would I email you or would you email me and (my god doesn't this sound like my first time? lol).

*is all excited now*

Dasquian Belargic
Jul 27th, 2002, 08:17:01 AM
http://www.polykarbon.com/ - That's a sort of.. tutorial thing
http://www.aumania.it/fa_index.html - And maybe you can get some inspiration from there :)

Jasmine
Jul 27th, 2002, 08:18:48 AM
:lol s'ok. Sure, we can do it over PM or over IM, I have aim and msn and even over email for larger topics we can use this thread. It's nice to someone as excited over art as I am ... Ok, well Ciara is definitely more into than me, but you get the idea :lol . So, just let me know what you want to know first. I'll list a few books I have that are truly excellent in aiding artists. In a new post in here. *Runs off to go find 'em now*

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Jul 27th, 2002, 03:19:28 PM
As far as art books and artists go, I can't stress strongly enough the need for good anatomy. Here's a few books I have that I strongly recommend either buying or getting from your library:

Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life

The Art of Animal Drawing: Construction, Action Analysis, and Caricature - Ken Hultgren

Animal Drawing: Anatomy and Action for Artists - Charles R. Knight

Drawing Scenery: Landscapes and Seascapes - Jack Hamm

Those are just a few. Bridgeman's is my highest recommendation, he's awesome, and you can learn alot. However, there's no substitute for actually going out and drawing from life.

As far as scifi and fantasy stuff goes, check out Masumune Shirow, Frank Frazetta, and if you give me some more time, I'll be able to come up with some more artists :D

Wytchy Woman
Jul 27th, 2002, 08:53:47 PM
Daren I see you have already gotten some excellent suggestions for expanding your creative talent, so I would like to suggest something different. You don't state your age, but since you talk about ROTC i am assuming you mean jr. ROTC and are of high school age. Why not check with your school's drama club and/or department and see if they need help with creating props and backgrounds? Or perhaps your town has a local community theater that would also appreciate your talent. It would give you a chance to practice your art, gain recognition and praise, while allowing you to continue in ROTC. I can't with a true heart tell you to fight the system and give up ROTC because it is a possible future for you as well and the discipline you learn in "rotcie" can be applied to all aspects of your life, including your art work. So why not give it a shot?

ReaperFett
Jul 27th, 2002, 08:56:54 PM
Well, I've had art posted on TF.N, so I feel I can post.

:)

All I would say, is remember that Genres dont always limit you. Someone can look fantasy-y ina sci fi drawing, and still fit in.

Daren Trevelan
Jul 27th, 2002, 11:09:58 PM
hehe Don't get me wrong I LOVE ROTC! I live and breathe it, that ranks up there with my girlfriend in things I love most, lol....

but that means I have no art class *shrug* and they are pricks at my school...they don't let me do any activities if it's not football and if I'm in football I can't act or be a part of the drama club or anything and ahhh!! STUPID CHEAP UNDERFUNDED OPELOUSAS HIGH SCHOOL YOU RACIST PIGS!!!

So...you were saying?

Garrett Blade
Jul 27th, 2002, 11:17:33 PM
I may not know art, but I know what I like. And I like H.R. Giger - he's a Swedish artist who does really surreal and vivid art. He designed the "Alien" for the "Alien" saga - and also designed KoRn's lead singers microphone stand. Look him up for some weird sci-fi stuff.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jul 28th, 2002, 12:44:59 AM
Concerning realistic art, if you are working from a photo or something, turn it upside down and try drawing it that way. It can help.

That's about all I feel the urge to add. :)

Arya Ravenwing
Jul 28th, 2002, 12:49:18 AM
Really? I didn't know that. I should try that. :)

Kinzoku Tsuchi
Jul 28th, 2002, 01:11:52 AM
Bah...I'm no help here, I like drawing but more anime/non-real style.....Maybe I'll point my sis in this thread's direction and she could say aomething.

Keerrourri Feessaarro
Jul 28th, 2002, 01:26:10 AM
H.R. Gieger has also done the art in all the "Dark Seed" games of ages past, as well as the stuff for Species 1 and 2. There's also a zillion other things that I shall not mention, due to the fact that I'm not too versed in his stuff, and claim overall ignorance ^_^;