PDA

View Full Version : Trillian!

Sean Piett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:11:37 PM
I don't know how many of you already have it, but it's ungodly. I love it. If you don't know what it is, it's a chat program that combines AIM, ICQ, IRC, MSN, and Yahoo. Wow. Relatively small program too. Easy to figure out.

http://www.trillian.cc/download.html

I think you'll like it.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:23:17 PM
No, I like using the real thing, not some wannabe program. Unless someone else starts using AIM, I'm staying put :)

Sean Piett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:28:52 PM
Maybe I didn't word it right. You still retain your account and your user list.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:35:59 PM
I know. But I like the real taste :)

Slayn Cloak
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:37:05 PM
He was being facetious...

Sean Piett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:37:49 PM
Okeday.

Sean Piett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:42:13 PM
Well. It just so happens today isn't June 29. Fooled me.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:42:53 PM
It's one of those things. Some like to have everything in one place. I only use one thign, and occasionally a second, but like them apart.

Also, I heard too many people who cant do something because they havent found out how to do it on Trillian :)

Slayn Cloak
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:44:41 PM
wtf is he talking about? what's word for the day?

Sean Piett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:44:58 PM
Well, won't hurt you to try it for yourself. Might be happy.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:50:39 PM
Might also destroy my computer and destroy thw world economy. MIGHT :)

Lord Gue
Jul 26th, 2002, 07:07:12 PM
lol, I been usin it since I heard of it a long while back, its awesome for me...

Morgan Evanar
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:08:57 PM
Lesse, use 5 different forms of IM with about 5-10 megs of memory? YUS.

Log on with multiple screen names for the same service? Yup.

Trillian = teh WIN!

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:10:14 PM
Why bother with multiple names? It is a waste of time.

Shawn
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:11:22 PM
No, I like using the real thing, not some wannabe programIt's not a "wannabe" when it's better than the original. :p

I used to use a similar service called Odigo, but I like Trillian much better. Too bad I can't combine Trillian's functionality with Odigo's interface.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:30:12 PM
I hate trillian because I have like tons of sns on all of my messenger and each time you switch it will automatically add everyopne on your other list to the other sn ack I hate trillian, for Yahoo I use Chat to go on multiple accounts and for msn I use several MSN sessions which is the real MSN messenger only diff is thta we can open it as many time as we want.

Xenodoros Stormrider
Jul 28th, 2002, 12:38:10 PM
Trillian Advantages: Cool skins, 5 messengers in 1, access to multiple screen names, small size, almost has the same features as the originals.

Trillian Disadvantages: If you're using multiple screen names, it saves the buddy lists in one big one; deleting something might lead to deletion on the original program; some features are not included in trillian.

Sejah Haversh
Jul 30th, 2002, 12:15:50 AM
You want simple, everythign in one, use trillian.

You want individual needs and specialized functions, use individual programs.

There, it's that simple. A roadster won't haul seven people, but an SUV will. But the SUV can't corner and go as fast as the roadster, or look as pretty.

You can't have it all and have it the best, but trillian does a faily good job at what it does. If you don't like it, don't use it, but if you do, go ahead. No big deal.

Morgan Evanar
Jul 30th, 2002, 05:35:27 AM
Yeah, but this is one case where the SUV gets much better gas milage than any of the roadsters. I tend to pick minimalistic skins, and Trillian is far more memory efficient than any of the original IM clients.

Especially ICQ.

I hate ICQ.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:17:02 AM
That's the only reason I use Trillian - there is no way I will load ICQ onto my system and I do it need to chat to some folks who refuse to use anything else. True, Trillian has loads of features and bells and whistles - but if you look at my desktop, its 100% clean and uncluttered, with nothing on it that is flashy. I prefer simple and clean to use these days. I dont skin, nor do I need or want Trillian's flashy bits. I'd say Trillian is a damn good bit of siftware, it just does not work the work the way I like it to work.

Taylor Millard
Jul 30th, 2002, 07:31:02 AM
When I'm on my sister's laptop (well...my laptop now) Trillian is the only thing that keeps me in connection with people. It hates AIM and keeps crashing it.

It's a POS system so it ain't my fault. :lol

ReaperFett
Jul 30th, 2002, 07:33:43 AM
Everything crashes on my comp :)

Hunk
Jul 30th, 2002, 11:02:21 AM
Fett had the NYSE on his computer?

ReaperFett
Jul 30th, 2002, 12:26:28 PM
hm?

Jul 30th, 2002, 05:12:30 PM
X_x I Hate ICQ,

ewwwww

Morgan Evanar
Jul 30th, 2002, 05:12:36 PM
NYSE = New York Stock Exchange.

Observe the yo-yo of the American stock markets.

Kinda like this...
Jump, bounce, down, up
I went out on a date
with a girl, a bit late
she had so many friends
gliding through many hands
I brought my pogo stick

well, not really.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 30th, 2002, 05:18:44 PM
So taken from System of a Down. :)

Sean Piett
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:39:19 PM
...Just to show her a trick!
She had so many friends!

ReaperFett
Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:15:24 AM
Trillian users never seem to be able to use a background colour. It looks ugly.

Trillian lets you keep an away message up. I find that amazingly annoying and ignorant. If you dont want people to talk to you, you stay off AIM, or make a name that you only tell a small number.

Also, it messes with yuor colours. Im sick of Trillian users saying they cant read my text, or it's too bright, or too dark. AIM users never complain.

Lilaena De'Ville
Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:47:16 AM
I can now! Just because I DLed it last night I hadn't figured out how to check the little boxes in the preferences yet... :lol

ReaperFett
Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:05:19 PM
Others dont though

Sasseeri Reeouurra
Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:10:32 PM
*poketh with sticketh*

Oldeth english tis gooood. :) Bettereth than this neweth English. :)

Vega Van-Derveld
Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:10:48 PM
Does my text look normal on there? O_o I mean I use it, and I've never had any complaints. And your text looks fine Fett, to me.

Morgan Evanar
Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:14:19 PM
I've never had a problem with how your text looks either, and you've never said a word about mine.

You're speakin FUD, Fett. Marcus, I'm sure you know you can pick one of the far more minimalisitc skins and get rid of some of what you interpret as glitz.

Nupraptor
Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:23:13 PM
Originally posted by ReaperFett
Trillian users never seem to be able to use a background colour. It looks ugly.I have a black background color. Looks fine to me.
Trillian lets you keep an away message up. I find that amazingly annoying and ignorant.Your preferance. I find it amazingly handy and useful. I set up an away message so I can, say, play a game and not be disturbed. But if I alt-tab to send a single message to someone, I don't have to come back from the away state (and potentially get bombarded with IMs). There's no down side to being able to IM people while away. It still functions like AIM's away feature, but with the added benefit of being able to still IM people. Hence, it's an improvement. ICQ works this way, too. Just because you're used to one way of doing things, doesn't make all other ways inferior.
Also, it messes with yuor colours. Im sick of Trillian users saying they cant read my text, or it's too bright, or too dark. AIM users never complain. A subjective anecdote is hardly the best evidence to support your argument. When I was using AIM, I had other AIM users complain that my colors were "too dark" or "hard to read" all the time (when I, in fact, was using a very light green on black). I've not had any complaints on Trillian using the same color scheme. Ever consider that it's AIM messing up the colors, not Trillian? :p

ReaperFett
Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:50:37 PM
FUD Morg?

Your preferance. I find it amazingly handy and useful. I set up an away message so I can, say, play a game and not be disturbed. But if I alt-tab to send a single message to someone, I don't have to come back from the away state (and potentially get bombarded with IMs). There's no down side to being able to IM people while away. It still functions like AIM's away feature, but with the added benefit of being able to still IM people. Hence, it's an improvement. ICQ works this way, too. Just because you're used to one way of doing things, doesn't make all other ways inferior

1. Many people have the away message up ALWAYS. So this game example doesnt always work.

2. It annoys ME, because I can chat to someone and be constantly told they're away. Is it there to deliberately annoy me or something?

A subjective anecdote is hardly the best evidence to support your argument. When I was using AIM, I had other AIM users complain that my colors were "too dark" or "hard to read" all the time (when I, in fact, was using a very light green on black). I've not had any complaints on Trillian using the same color scheme. Ever consider that it's AIM messing up the colors, not Trillian?
Noone on AIM has ever complained. Trillian users do. The only complaints from AIM users is because they find a deep purple and a bright yellow just offensive to look at, at which point I quote Hobbie from SOA.

Nupraptor
Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:07:25 PM
Many people have the away message up ALWAYSSo what if they want to? By giving them that option (an option which AIM does not have), it is inherently superior in that regard.
It annoys MEJust because a user is too lazy to set themselves back from away doesn't mean it's a bad feature. And, as I said: It's your personal preferance, which you're entitled to. But don't blame it on the program.
Noone on AIM has ever complained. Trillian users do.Again, that's a subjective anecdote. People complain to you. I've not had anyone complain. So my point is just as valid as your's.

By your logic, the fact that AIM users have complained to me about my colors while I was using AIM must that it's AIM's fault. I'm not saying that it is. I'm just applying the same train of thought to a different situation.

ReaperFett
Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:19:53 PM
So what if they want to? By giving them that option (an option which AIM does not have), it is inherently superior in that regard
So why use the bleeding thing? Log off, get a new name.

Just because a user is too lazy to set themselves back from away doesn't mean it's a bad feature. And, as I said: It's your personal preferance, which you're entitled to. But don't blame it on the program.
You may notice, I dont "blame the program". If you look, I never actually gave a context to my dislike.

Again, that's a subjective anecdote. People complain to you. I've not had anyone complain. So my point is just as valid as your's.
Did I ever actually attempt to demean the validity of your point? No, I didn't. Was I to do that, I'd say something like "You're just saying that to disagree", or "Once again, you seem to have to disagree" or some other thing which is said to me so often to contest the validity of my argument. But I didnt do that, did I?

By your logic, the fact that AIM users have complained to me about my colors while I was using AIM must that it's AIM's fault.
You should be a Psychologist. I mean, you are using a logic that I apparently am using without my own knowledge.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 06:42:38 PM
Ah Trillian is good only depending on what type of people uses it end of the line.