PDA

View Full Version : Corporate rights > personal rights (Lunatic congress bill)

Darth Viscera
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:22:24 AM
Apparently Howard Berman, a Democrat from California, has proposed a bill in congress which will allow mercenary hackers paid by hollywood to legally hack into your computer and search for materials which violate copyright laws.

<a href=http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/26357.html>Here</a> is the article on The Register. Personally, the idea of this vexes me no end, and is certainly the most shameful thing to visit Congress since the Alien & Sedition acts of 1796, which made it a crime for Americans to speak seditiously and prevented immigrants from coming to this country, and the two laws were tossed out (thankfully so) in 1800.

It flies in the face of the fundamental principles of this country, as well as any other freedom loving country, regardless of how deeply ingrained governmental favor is to the plutocratic establishment. Guilty until proven innocent. I regard this bill as a direct violation of habeas corpus ad subjiciendum. If the plutocracy is allowed to invade our computers, then the argument can be made that we are detained, imprisoned by fear. I personally do not want to fear corporate hackers every time I make a post at my compression board which suggests a new and superior algorithim or script for deinterlacing video. No warrant, no search.

The plutocracy should not be allowed to bypass our Judicial system legally. Jo Schmoe Vanderbilt and John Smith Carnegie should be subject to the same laws as the rest of us, regardless of the size of their pocketbooks and the army of lobbyists they have poised for battle at Arlington, looking down at the capital. No sir. Howard Berman, the corrupt democrat from California, should be tarred and feathered for bringing up such a preposterous and tyrannical bill, and I'd be happy to ride him out of my town on a rail personally.

Khan Surak
Jul 26th, 2002, 07:50:30 AM
Well, Vis, you must take into account the fear of some politicians at the moment who know that if they don't support dramatic reforms in our judicial system, including the FBI, they could face serious consequences, especially during this election year. I concur, however, that such a bill is unjust and ludicrous. In any case, I am not suprised that this kind of thing has arrived in the lap of Congress now.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 26th, 2002, 07:54:56 AM
:rolleyes

a) It's crack, not hack

b) Dont be speaking "freedoms", cause that argument is a nonsense. It really pees me off to hear the screams of freedoms and rights. You have no damn rights. You have privleges. A right is somethign that can not be denied to you. You have no right to privacy or innocent till proven guilty, because it can be taken away from you. You have the privledge. You have the privledge of not allowing electronic trepass and even if this so call bill from the Senator from Disney goes through, there is an overriding privledge of stopping trespass - this bill will be K.O.ed. by potentially a whole raft of things of your prepared to sit down and read it's flaws through

Before replying to this, understand why it is in fact a privledge, and as such, privledges are to be fought for and protected. A right does not

c) Imprisioned by fear????? WTF are you going on about? Stop the hype and chest beating right now and look at this rationally, calmly and without bias.

Darth Viscera
Jul 26th, 2002, 09:00:39 AM
a) I couldn't care less what it's called. No one is breaking into my computer and scanning my hard drive for illegal materials until I see a warrant.

b) I know my constitution.

Bill of Rights-Amendment IV:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Bill of Rights-Amendment V:
No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.

Amendment XIV

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

You can take that to the bank, and best of all, you can take it to court.

c) Big brother. I am looking at this calmly and rationally, but I don't think that any citizen of this nation can claim to be unbiased. We, as a free people, have the right to revoke our elected officials' right to revoke our rights.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 11:51:09 AM
Didnt they pas a bill to read any e-mails they wanted to a while back?

Darth Viscera
Jul 27th, 2002, 02:26:33 AM
What, with Carnivore? I suppose they did, but I trust they need a warrant first. Otherwise they'll have lawyers flocking pro bono to try the case and call it unconstitutional.

ReaperFett
Jul 27th, 2002, 06:04:03 AM
Okay

Khendon Sevon
Jul 27th, 2002, 11:54:26 AM
this'll never be passed, and if it is, psh, doesn't effect me, they can try and hack my computer, I'll just pop up all that software I have coded and downloaded that makes computers go "stealth"

Morgan Evanar
Jul 27th, 2002, 06:26:57 PM
Earthlink/Mindspring rejected Carnivore. In theory, mail on their servers is only seen by you and the person who gets it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2002, 07:42:16 PM
Well, that sounds real good. But I'll tell you what. Why don't I give you the finger, and you give me my phone call.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jul 28th, 2002, 01:03:58 AM
Haha.... when Big Sister meets Big Brother. ;)

Arya Ravenwing
Jul 28th, 2002, 01:20:06 AM
:lol