PDA

View Full Version : Why does Boba Fett's accent change from Ep V to Ep II?

Darth Viscera
Jul 25th, 2002, 02:31:32 AM
??

I think he might be a changeling, like those darned anti-continuity klingons.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:23:03 AM
YOu watch Lucas go back and edit it. He better not.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:28:52 AM
Not that we really hear Boba speak in Ep V anyway

darth_mcbain
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:35:12 AM
He's only a kid in Ep. II... Between Ep. II and V quite some time has gone by - he probably just lost his accent along the way... When you interact with all different beings and languages in the galaxy, you might tend to blend into a more common way of speaking...

Growing up I had a pretty think New Yawk accent, but since I moved 8 years ago I've lost it... Could be a similar thing with Boba --- people change...

JMK
Jul 25th, 2002, 09:50:31 AM
Or it could be the fact that AGAIN, Lucas didn't know what would happen in 2002 way back in 1978-79 when they were making Empire. He was in Australia. He cast people from the area. How the accent was "lost" will probably not be addressed. He just hired actors of different nationalities during different eras and that's that. I'm sure if anything will be done about it, he will re-dub Boba Fett's lines in ESB with Temeura's voice. That, or he will let us debate it forever.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 10:55:47 AM
He should have thought about the fact that he sounded un-NZer in ESB, and made the EP2 Boba the same

JMK
Jul 25th, 2002, 11:34:13 AM
Ideally, yes. He certainly should have. So I guess this means one of 3 things:
1 - GL did it on purpose, and has something planned.
2 - GL just hired Logan because he was passable as Temuera's son and because he probably didn't pay him much.
3 - He just goofed.

Jedieb
Jul 25th, 2002, 01:19:40 PM
I'll go with, "He didn't give a rat's butt!" for $200 Alex! I don't think he thought most people would care what someone sounds like when they're 12, compared to 32. Like McBain said, accents change over time. It doesn't need much more of an explanation than that. Look at Arnold, when he did The Villian he could barely speak English, now he... wait, that's a bad example.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 01:30:54 PM
ANyone else who makes a series generally looks out for things like this.

Seriously, I love Lucas and all, but at times he is just plain sloppy.

JMK
Jul 25th, 2002, 01:52:27 PM
I kind of sit on the fence on this one. Yes, accents do change in time, especially if you spend alot of time around people who don't have your accent. However, it seems to me that Boba spent most of his life alone as a bounty hunter after Jango died. Therefore IMO, he shouldn't have lost the accent. That being said though, Lucas has been known to be inconsistent with these movies and has alot of small but important details to work out. Remember, it was the small nuances that made the OT so believable and charming. To me, the prequels seem to be lacking somewhat in this department.

JediBoricua
Jul 25th, 2002, 03:56:02 PM
Lucas sloppy??!?!? never....well considering that parsecs are a measure of distance and not speed...yes he is kinda sloppy.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 04:05:17 PM
Series of black holes on the Kessel RUn, meaning Han actually went a shorter distance.

Gawd bless the EU for things :)

Jedieb
Jul 25th, 2002, 06:35:55 PM
Even at it's most inconsistent, Lucas's SW is still better than bush league EU extrapolations. It's not even CLOSE. :smokin

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 06:59:59 PM
Boba had quite alot of dialogue in EP.V considering he was only a support character. I loved his gravelly, hard voice. He sounds seriously borderline psycho. I don't really care about his changing accent because it's inflections in EP.V was quite revealing... like a man that had done alot of hard fighting and lived a very perilous life. GL better not change this!!! :(

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:00:57 PM
But Eb, the EU helps fill in the holes in Lucas' stories ;)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:07:01 PM
Now that girly scream in EP.VI is a whole other matter completely! :lol

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:12:44 PM
Still think that entire part is a big copout. Lucas has something against Fett's, they never have good deaths

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:16:04 PM
Yeah, both suffered very anti-climatic deaths. Cool characters too!

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:17:53 PM
*fingers in ears*

Boba didnt die, he just took a Sarlacc bath :)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:23:24 PM
lol Honestly, I think it is lame that EU revived him. Considering only his torso and head is armored and protected from the digestive fluids of the sarlacc. JMPO!

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:29:42 PM
If you read the story though, his legs were getting badly burnt. Remember, 1000 years, so he wouldnt be dead in a week.

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:39:00 PM
Nevertheless, KW Jeter completely ruined the character's aura and mystery!

BUFFJEDI
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:41:32 PM
doesn't need much more of an explanation than that. Look at Arnold, when he did The Villian he could barely speak English, now he... wait, that's a bad example. :lol :lol :lol :lol

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:43:14 PM
KW Jeter was a disgrace to the Boba Fett mythos, by making him chatty. I never finished the series, so conveniently overlook it ;)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:48:04 PM
Not only chatty but soft too! It has been years since I have read Mandalorian Armors Wars ... also Shadows of the Empire and Tales of the Bounty Hunters... IIRC all of them were lousy portrayals of Boba Fett. Shoot I cant even recall the author who wrote the Boba tale in TotBH!

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:50:08 PM
Daniel Keys Moran

I love the portrayal of Boba Fett in basically everything Ive read him in, aside from the KW Jeter Trilogy

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:53:18 PM
Thanks!

Maybe I just need to refreshen up on those but I read them as they were published and haven't touched them since. And I have read alot of books between then and now. ;)

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:55:08 PM
Ive read them over a 3-4 year spurt :)

I loved the Keys Moran story. It had a feeling of pride, honour, betrayal...it was Heroic Bloodshed style all the way :)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:03:32 PM
Just to go off topic somewhat! The best character portrayal ever was SotE and Darth Vader! Never have I read anything near as good of Darth Vader. Perry's Vader was rad!!!

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:04:59 PM
That was the one where he goes shooting down Rebels in an EXTREMELY simplistic manner, yeah? THat was good :)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:08:33 PM
Not only that but just the way Perry personified and described Vader in the novel. I mean the OT movie novelizations really blow but SotE really hit the mark!

darth_mcbain
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:17:36 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
Lucas sloppy??!?!? never....well considering that parsecs are a measure of distance and not speed...yes he is kinda sloppy.

If I remember correctly, the Kessel Run involves delivering contraband cargo to multiple ships all going in different directions. The faster you do it, the less distance you have to travel. So when Han says he did it in less than 12 parsecs, yes, that is a measure of distance, but it equates to how fast and skillfully he was able to accomplish the feat.

At least that's how I think it goes - this was brought up in the Jedi Council on the official site some time ago.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:17:57 PM
Never read the OT novels. Never really saw the point in it. Read a bit of EP2 though, cant read any more :)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:25:35 PM
I have read or rather tortured my self through every SW movie novelization except EP.1. Flat, nauseating, second-rate writing that fails to draw you in or keep your interest. :)

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:29:21 PM
I've loved most of it :)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:35:08 PM
Not me. IMHO, Salvatore put in a better writing effort in VP. :)

Admiral Lebron
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:40:38 PM
My first real star wars book I read was Shadows of the Empire. It was cool how he smiled under his mask and the empire didnt know.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:41:58 PM
When I said that Gab, I didnt mean the EP2 book, Im bored stiff at that :)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:50:04 PM
Agreed Lebron and Reaper! :)

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:51:13 PM
Ive finished every SW book I've read but two. KW Jeter's third, and EP2 :)

Jedieb
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:34:21 AM
I loved reading the OT novelizations as a kid. I once read ROTJ in one sitting because I had trouble falling asleep. I finished it and was greeted by the sunrise. Ah, lazy teenage summers...

The ANH and ROTJ novelizations are neat because they've got some extra info that was cut from the films. ROTJ has dialogue from Ben describing his battle with Anakin that results in him becoming Vader. ANH has the most unused material. You've got Cammie, Fixer, and the Biggs scene. ESB is the one that's pretty much what you see on film. I don't even think they have the scene where 3-PO removes the sign Wampa danger sign, but I could be mistaken. There's a brand new hardcover compilation of the OT novels out now so if you've been holding out now may be the time to check them out.

SOTE
I was kind of dissapointed by SOTE, but I have to agree that Perry's Vader passages were outstanding. I can still remember reading Vader's thoughts as he tried to breath without his helmet in his meditation chamber. How he hoped he'd grow strong enough in the Dark Side that he could one day cast aside his armor. Pretty good stuff. But everything with the Solo Surrogate Dash Rendar blew chunks.:x

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 11:46:00 AM
I liked Dash to an extent. The problem to me was he was basically there for the game. He was meant to sortof be Han had he gone a different route at one stage. But we never really got inside him

JMK
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:00:49 PM
I liked SOTE only because it was confined between ESB and ROTJ and the story could only go so far. Vader's passages were really good though, that's what I remember most about that book.

Anyone ever read Splinter of the Mind's Eye? It was set between ANH and ESB and it was the first EU book I had ever read, and I hated it. I just thought the idea that a rock could enhance someone's force abiliy was preposterous. And if I remember BOTH Luke and Leia fight Vader and actually hold their own which I thought was laughable too.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:06:46 PM
I love when people hate SOTME. Had ANH flopped, THAT was ESB :)

JMK
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:22:18 PM
What do you mean? You think THAT would have been put to screen???? Then it would have been the worst sequel in history!

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:24:13 PM
not think, KNOW. THat was the straght for TV sequel for if ANH had flopped. Not much Han IIRC, yeah? It was to cut costs

JMK
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:52:19 PM
Get outta town! No freakin way! Cut costs of what exactly? You're right, there was hardly any Han at all. Luke and Leia land on this crappy planet near Yavin I think, looking for this rock that enhances any force-sensitive person's ability to use the force. They were there basically to make sure they got it before Vader did or else there would be trouble. But Vader does show and duels with both Leia and Luke and IIRC one of them actually chops one of Vader's arms off or something totally ridiculous like that...

What a stupid idea. It would have been slightly better than the holiday special.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:53:54 PM
Vader does lose an arm from what I hear :)

But seriously, straght up.

Jasmine
Jul 28th, 2002, 11:31:58 AM
Fett's voice may have changed because of what was written in the books. Tales of the Bounty Hunters, it states that Fett was rescued from the Sarlaac Pit by one of the twi'lek dancing girls and Dengar. The twi'lek girl nursed him back to health as best as she could. Fett was pretty badly 'burned' by the acids of the Sarlaac's digestive system and I would assume that since the majority of his body had been burned, his throat more than likely was as well. Fett doesn't wear his armor all the time because of being a bounty hunter, he wears it all the time because of how badly scarred he is from his time in the Sarlaac Pit.

I was too tired to read all the posts in this thread, so if this was stated already, sorry to have repeated it.

JMK
Jul 28th, 2002, 01:30:28 PM
Something was mentioned about burning in the belly of the sarlaac earlier in the thread, but all that happens after the movies, we're talking about his voice in ESB.

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 28th, 2002, 02:47:50 PM
JMK, I remember that "Splinter whatever" novel written by Alan Dean Foster. The very first EU novel ever written and it was godawful. I can only recall a stone in some ruins on some planet which had significance to the story's plot. Also a subplot about Leia or someone and a weird creature too. Very forgettable book that was written in the early eighties. Sorry, I am always reading and this book holds very little space. Tell you the truth, the one author that captured the SW essence and spirit the best is Timothy Zahn. His novels had that warm, familiar starwarsy touch. :)

JMK
Jul 28th, 2002, 03:14:07 PM
I remember reading his stuff, and I enjoyed it as I was reading it. But that was 5-6 years ago and I've forgotten every single word, plot and character in the books, so that tells you what impression the EU has left on me.

ReaperFett
Jul 28th, 2002, 03:23:24 PM
KJA writes what would be in a SW film, while Zahn is way off, IMO

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 28th, 2002, 07:35:48 PM
KJA? Hmmm... he is ok IIRC. I still like Zahn and his characters he created such as Talon Karrde, Mara Jade, Thrawn, the Noghri, and Pelleaon. I did not like Joruus C'Baoth because this character did not fit well in the SW continuity. Overall, EU has been a great disappointment to me because it is constantly rehashing the same ideas/plots over and over again. But feel Zahn broke that cycle and enjoy his books because of it. Have yet to read that last Thrawn duology though. I read like the first seven or eight NJO novels before I went disgruntled back into other fantasy/sci-fi works.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jul 28th, 2002, 10:12:32 PM
Back onto the topic of Boba Fett's voice.

Let me tell you the story of a little boy, who I suppose I'll reveal later on was me. This boy was raised in England for his first seven years of life, and had a marvelous accent though he was a very quiet and shy boy and didn't talk much.

He lost the accent in just about a year's time of living in the States, despite the fact that he actually talked LESS than ever before.

Those of you who say this cannot be so, well, curse you. I wish it couldn't be so, I now wish I had been able to retain my accent somehow. Because the boy was ME. [/anticlimacticness]

The movies do not have the time to explain every single slightly niggling detail to people like us. Just leave things be and get off of Lucas' back.

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 28th, 2002, 10:25:33 PM
Thanks for the insight Shaed! I find it very plausible that a clone can lose his accent due to personal circumstances and environmental changes during the course of his life.

ReaperFett
Jul 29th, 2002, 08:16:26 AM
I dont see how how some speaks is a niggling detail ;)

BTW, you were from the land of Yorkshire Puddings, flat caps and Whippets, yeah?

JMK
Jul 29th, 2002, 02:57:59 PM
:lol Whippets! The dog or marshmallow cookie?

Jedieb
Jul 29th, 2002, 03:03:19 PM
I like Zahn's stuff waaaay more than KJA. I thoguht the Young Jedi Knights material KJA wrote was better than the Jedi Academy trilogy. Although he did a good job on the anthologies. Splinter of the Mind's Eye wasn't so bad. I didn't think it was as good as the early Han and Lando novels. But those had a much different feel to them than today's EU. I think one of my favorite characters from that era was Gallandro. His showdown with Han was pretty good and had an original ending.

ReaperFett
Jul 29th, 2002, 03:13:30 PM
The dogs JMK :)

Eb, I didnt mean which was better, I meant the style. KJA is either love or hate, IMO about 50/50. Probably the most divided author I know of (Zahn is debated, but not in even numbers)

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jul 29th, 2002, 10:40:50 PM
That I was, Fett. That I was. I'm still sixes and sevens about Yorkshire Pud to this day - mom still makes it, upon occasion. Too bad I really remember so little of my childhood...

My problem with KJA is that I haven't yet figured out whether I love him or hate him. :)

And I think I have to agree with the Gallandro thing. That was a dam' fine read. Rest in peace, Brian Daley.

The only thing I respect Splinter for is that the author, whoever it was, was pretty durn brave for making the first published Star Wars novel. As a book, though, it's even worse than Kathy Tyers' junk. In my opinion, because I despise most of Kathy Tyers' Star Wars work.

ReaperFett
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:59:37 AM
I still haven't read the Daley novels. Im sortof saving them, so I can get some unsures for.

BTW, if you like Daley's stuff, the Luceno duology in the NJO has lots of his characters appear and be mentioned. The pair were good friends, used to cowrite.

JMK
Jul 30th, 2002, 07:31:56 AM
Kathy Tyers almost put my off of EU altogether. At the end of Truce at Bakura I was literally using it to put me to sleep.

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jul 31st, 2002, 02:14:05 PM
Groovy. I've not read the Luceno books yet. ...I am reading them out of order, I guess - but I didn't like the first NJO book all that much so I've only been reading those that some kind people have forced me to. :)

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2002, 02:22:16 PM
Dark Journey, Rebel Dream and Rebel Stand are three of the best

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jul 31st, 2002, 02:39:30 PM
Yes, I've read those last two. I agree that they are quite good.

ReaperFett
Jul 31st, 2002, 02:45:31 PM
Good, we agree :)

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Aug 1st, 2002, 08:26:15 PM
Guess we'll just have to agree to agree, then! :)

ReaperFett
Aug 1st, 2002, 09:03:12 PM
Yeah! :)