PDA

View Full Version : Batman vs Superman- We may have our stars

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 01:25:29 PM
Sounds good to me (http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=12834)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2002, 01:43:06 PM
That would work, of course WB could still cast somebody else will have to wait and see. Question though has anybody heard what the villian/ or villains will be? I think it will either be Luthor and the Joker or just Darksied (who would be very cool).

JMK
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:07:07 PM
Hmm, I like the Farrell pick, but not so sure about Law as Superman. He's a tad too scrawny IMO, I think that if he is infact going to get the role they should make him hit the weights. Superman IS muscular, even if he is strong by the sun. I still can't picture how this movie will work, how does Batman even stand a chance against Superman? :huh

Bhen F'shar
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:10:12 PM
Oy, why don't they just throw Mel Gibson is as Green Lantern and have him wipe up the floor with everybody? At least they didn't pick Nicholas Cage as Superman as rumers had been going...

darth_mcbain
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:28:08 PM
Originally posted by JMK
I still can't picture how this movie will work, how does Batman even stand a chance against Superman? :huh

My feelings exactly... Batman is a tough-@ss to be sure, but underneath all the gadgets and gizmos, he's just a regular guy. Superman is an alien with true "super" powers - how can Batman even make a dent in Supe?

As for the casting, I guess its ok - I think Law actually would look pretty decent as Superman.

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:50:08 PM
I heard Batman beat Superman in the comics :)

And about Villains, I heard The Joker banded round a lot in the early days, and Id think Luthor is a likely too

Taataani Meorrrei
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:56:13 PM
Batman does beat Superman in the comics...because among Batman's myriad of toys, is a sizeable amount of Kryptonite, given to him by the man of steel himself, as a kind of "failsafe" in case he goes crazy and does bad things.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 24th, 2002, 04:56:15 PM
What the hell is wrong with the idiots in holly wood??

Law as superman ?? come on, WAY!!!!!!! to scrawny!!! Look Superman is a BIG guy period!!! Law a little girlie mon. And superman is a goodlooking hunk , Law Not.

they need to find someone that looks like Dean cane and built like arnold . Well I guess that would be ME :). No really super-man should be BIG .

As for bat-man . yes bat-man is JUST a man. He is a man that has honed his body to be nearly perfect in every way, from being extremely strong to being extremely agile.Bat-man strength would rival any power lifter , but with the build of a Body biulder.and would have the ability to compete in any gymnastic avent in the olympic's.I'm not sure who that guy is they are thinking about BUT I doubt he would fit the bill.

As far as Bat-man beating Superman , REMEMBER BAt-man has kryptonite and is Very clever;)

That's one of the MANY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! problems I have with Spider-man . They so casted the Wrong person for the part. I could NEVER accept that puney punk as spider-man.That trashy thing they cast as Mary Jane ?? whatever. The people in la la land need to get it right when doing comic book hero's. and to date the only thing they have gotten CLOSE was Wolverine and they BARELY got that close:(

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 05:06:52 PM
If you look at the original Fleischer SUPERMAN he wasn't the bulked up muscle-builder that SUPERMAN has become today. Why's he need giant muscles? He's Kryptonian, he doesn't need em, he's got a yellow sun powering him instead.
:)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 24th, 2002, 05:41:37 PM
Yeah that Does make good sense BUT.

would you even Remotley believe that
ben affleck stood up to the Predator ??

would you remotely believe that
tobey stood toe toe with drego the russian??

would JAson be so scarey if he tipped the scales at a buck 20 ??
that's my point :D

BUFFJEDI
Jul 24th, 2002, 05:45:20 PM
Also I bet (never seen the guy) that he was taller than avg at the time and built bigger than the avg person atthe time.meaning fliescher

Jedieb
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:07:17 PM
"He's 5'11", around 145 lbs, 29 years old"
I have to go with buff. That's a sad physique for Batman, for Superman it's positively ridiculous. Who gives a rat's butt how he was drawn when he premiered in Action Comics? Is the movie being set in the 30's?! Even then, the character was drawn in a way that made him look like a strong physical speciman by THAT day's standards. Superman should luke like he's a friggin' SUPERMAN! It's obviously a modern Superman so we should be looking at someone who's big by today's standards. The character was never a hulk type figure, just a tall well built hero. Someone with Christopher Reeve's height and physique would still work. Reeve wasn't muscle bound, he was just tall, dark haired, and had a solid build. That's what people expect from the man of Steel. They can't hide him in a suit of rubber like they did Keaton. Superman won't even be 6ft tall, what the hell?

JMK
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:10:17 PM
Ok, fine, the original Superman didn't have definition on his muscles, but he wasn't a puny Martin Short either. He certainly had size. Look at this movie my way;

Superman flies down from the skies, faster than a speeding bullit (that's fast), grabs Batman by the beanbag, flies into outer space, and throws him to Tatooine.

Elapsed time: 10 seconds.
Cast:
Jude Law as Supe
Crash test dummy dressed as Batman
Richard Simmons as Batman's screaming voice-over.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:12:06 PM
Silly premise for a movie anyway. Why oh why do Holyywood push this rot at us?

JMK
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:17:46 PM
I'd be curious to see it, but would be appaled if the fight was even close. I'd much rather see the two paired together and take on all kinds of bad guys.

Jedieb
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:19:21 PM
I use to be one of those people that thought a Superman V. Batman fight was ludicrous. Then I read The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. Even at first I was, WTF? How could Batman possibly beat Superman?! Eventually though, their final showdown grew on me. Now it's one of my favorite comics of all time. The fight could work because Superman is honorable enough to not immediately take advantage of his strength. He probably would try to talk some sense into Batman before any fight started. That's all that Batman would need. Bruce Wayne is a pretty screwed up individual if you think about it. Fighting dirty would be second nature to him. You can bet your butt he'd use Kryptonite, missiles, whatever he could get his hands on to even the odds. That's why the fight could work if done right. But that casting just leaves me completely ambivalent. These are two titans, not two guys who look like they hand out towels to the rest of the football team.

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:19:43 PM
So, you base your entire descision on this film already on how two great actors LOOK and the premise of a film that we dont know the full premise to? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrright :)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:21:16 PM
These are two titans, not two guys who look like they hand out towels to the rest of the football team :lol :lol :lol

Jedieb
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:24:04 PM
No, I'm saying that the casting SUCKS and it'll hurt the movie for me. And I'm not the ONLY one saying it. Hell, a balding Cage would have been a poor choice for Superman, but these guys are even worse than him. Casting can make you excited about a comic book movie (Nicholson is going to play the Joker!) or they can make you scratch your head and say WTF? That's what those two do for me. Or are you saying they can sound "good" to you, but not bad to anyone else? Must be fun to be the only one to have casting give them an opinion.

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:25:36 PM
Was Adam West a big built up guy? Nope. THe guy before? Nope. The roots of Batman are NOT built up. Colin Farrell is a top pick (ANd would be in his 2nd comic film :))

Jedieb
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:32:23 PM
Adam West WAS a big guy. When he stood next to Burt Ward, there was NO doubt who was Batman and who was the Boy Wonder. Again, look at the time, the 60's. By those standards West was a strong leading male, decent build and around 6ft tall. He sure as hell didn't weigh around 150lbs! I way more than that and I'm only 5'7"! That's what Robin weighs as a teenager, not Batman or especially Superman. But wait a minute, you're going to the campy craptacular Batman television series for help?!

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:34:31 PM
ITS STILL PART OF HIS ROOTS! :)

And if Adam West was heavy, it wasnt due to muscle :)

Jedieb
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:46:17 PM
"I didn't need molded plastic. Pure West. And how come Batman doesn't dance anymore? What happened to the Batusi? Oooh, ahhh, oooh, ahhhh..."
Some of the best work West ever did as Batman. I can't wait to see Batman go back to his roots and dance. ;)

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:51:01 PM
LOL! :)

btw, quick update. Farrell and Law have NOT been signed. However, they HAVE both been interviewed, and the shortlist is apparently short.

Remember as well, this film is for in 2 years. A guy can bulk up. ANd remember, ANakin is 6inches shorter than Vader :)

JMK
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:53:19 PM
I won't say right now that the movie will suck. I'll wait for the trailers before I get excited. But from these initial rumors, I'm skeptical at best. I'm pretty much the same height as Law (1 inch shorter) and about 25 pounds heavier. And I'll be damned if I could EVER pass as Superman, no matter how good of an actor I am. Like I said, the trailer will be my first indication of how excited I should be for this.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:00:26 PM
I'm still gonna sit on my hands for this one.

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:06:12 PM
My only real thing is that Law doesnt have the look that Superman had in the movies/comics. The sortof normal, slightly geeky guy. Jude Law may be too unnormal for the role.

Also, remember we dont know WHEN this is set. It could be when they're both quite young

JMK
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:11:25 PM
That's also what I was thinking. I could deal with it much easier if that were the case.

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:18:38 PM
Well, Keaton was 40 or so (Not built much;)), Kilmar was 30 or so and Clooney was 40 or so. Farrell is at least 5 years younger (26)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:17:02 PM
your right about keaton. And I personally thought he had a great FACE look as bat-man BUT awlful body for it and an Awlful bruce wayne. But they did use the suit to make him more buff.They have done Very bad casting's for Bat-man. although I thought kilmer was a good Bruce wayne.

and even IF they were doing a young bat-man super man , Bat-man would still need to be Buffed up. I could live with super-man(younger) being not so buff.The guy who play's a teen super-man is Somewhat buff and fits the part well.

It really is a matter of opinion BUT there would be no way to take a 150 pound super - man serious (unless it was teen years) regardless of muscle's or not. A 150 pound bat-man could work but ONLY if they use the same type suit as in the other movies.

it's like EB(s) said these a superhero Titans they should look the part.

what if James bond was played by robin williams? great actor but james bond??

or wonder woman played by Julia roberts?? supposedly a great actress but wonder woman???

something's just don't go together :( but than agian I could be wrong :)

it's happened before , I think ;)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:22:19 PM
Just wanted to throw this in.;)

I have been told (Honestly) that I would make a Great super-man by several people. And we know I think highly of my looks and build. But even I do not think I would make a good super-man and I'm buff, dark wave hair strong jaw line, fairly tall But no way a Super-man.So needless to say it would take ALOT to impress me with an actor to play sups.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:36:27 PM
Acutally you guys are right Law doesn't fit for Superman, maybe Batman, Ferrell is still a good choice he does have the build for Batman. I am sure they will come up with a good choice, at least I hope. Also I just thought of something how about Law as the Joker? That could be an interesting choice, not sure who I would pick for Lex, , unless they go with Darksied which would be really cool. Also I am not sure if Batman and Superman will be fighting the whole movie, I bet the villian or Villains will be using them in an effort to elimenate the two most powerful super heroes.

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:42:34 PM
THats what Im thinking. IMO, theyll use this to kickstart two franchises. They wouldnt make one guy bad

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2002, 09:35:21 PM
Well if they pick Luthor and the Joker that would be perfect and Luthor is always a schemer so they could come up with some storyline. Now if they did Darksied they would have to go with a different approach. The only problem with him, is he is an Alien warlord from the planet Apokolips, though I guess they could explain that as an Alien invasion or something along those lines.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 07:29:15 AM
COuld work

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 25th, 2002, 09:11:05 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
Silly premise for a movie anyway. Why oh why do Holyywood push this rot at us?

I echo that opinion. The best Superman has been and always will be Christopher Reeve - he pulled off perfectly the duality of Clark Kent/Superman character - they were completely different people.

And enough with the bloody kryptonite. I really hope the director pours some intelligence and dare I say genious into the movie gives us an original plot. Kryptonite is what everyone expects and as such, boring.

ReaperFett
Jul 25th, 2002, 09:17:18 AM
It's his only major weakness, blame the comics if thats your problem :)

JMK
Jul 25th, 2002, 10:06:53 AM
Superman is allergic to Kryptonite, and that's just the way it is. If you want to stop him, you need it, plain and simple. That part of the story can't change.

BUT that doesn't mean they have to make Superman so dumb that he walks into a Kryptonite phone booth all the time. With his strength, speed and abilities, he should be able to do just about ANYTHING he wants without getting touched by his opponents.

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:18:42 PM
What I'm trying to say is they should find another weakness to use against him; his compassion and heart would be a good thing to use against him - make him decide between saving Martha Kent or saving London for example - now that would be good. If he choses his mother then he feels guilty and it will eat him up and cause all kinds of problems but if his mother is killed then he might do an Anakin.

Anything but kryptonite - it's what everyone expects!

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:03:26 AM
Ok I was going to read this whole thread, but it got way too long for me to do that and still go to sleep.

You wouldn't think that Edward Norton would be a very good tough guy either. Fight Club, Keeping the Faith, The Score....he's a weenie!!

But, didn't you ever see American History X? OMG the guy is muscle bound like nobodies business.

And all this is to prove that Jude Law could INDEED be Superman. Heck, *I* would be on Baywatch if you gave me enough time to get a tan. ^_^; Its all about changing the image, and Hollywood is GREAT at doing that.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 04:24:25 PM
New news apparently :)

Apparently, Law beat Johnny Depp and Colin Farrell for SUperman, but Batman is between Farrell or Christian Bale

JMK
Jul 26th, 2002, 05:38:22 PM
To me, Bale would have made a better Superman and Farrel should still get the Batman role.

ReaperFett
Jul 26th, 2002, 05:45:14 PM
I could see Bale as Superman I suppose.

Hey, Law doing any films right now? We could nobble him! You know, DSS (Dougray Scott Syndrome)? :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 26th, 2002, 11:56:53 PM
Bale can be MY Superman. "What color underwear am I wearing?" hubba hubba! ;) :lol!!!!

ReaperFett
Jul 27th, 2002, 05:53:20 AM
Well, there was a joke I should have expected ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2002, 11:45:29 AM
Yes you should have, shouldn't you. But Jude Law is an excellent choice as well. I must arrange some private balcony "interview" time. ;)

ReaperFett
Jul 27th, 2002, 11:52:41 AM
lol :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 27th, 2002, 11:55:10 AM
:angel

JonathanLB
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:45:02 PM
Gawd...

Colin Farrell? That's a joke, right? I really hope so...

I love Christian Bale, but wtf? If he were Superman I would not be able to take the movie seriously. He IS the American Psycho! I would just continually picture him murdering people with axes and chain saws and all of that and I'd be laughing throughout the movie. It would be just too much.

ReaperFett
Jul 29th, 2002, 05:52:53 PM
Farrell is a great actor

JMK
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:04:46 PM
Jon, it's easy to forget about previous roles. Except for people like Mark Hamill. He will always - and only be Skywalker. But for Bale, he's had some other great roles in Swing Kids, and Shaft, and American Psycho. The first time I ever saw Ben Affleck
(would he be a good superman?) was in Mallrats as the A-hole Shannon Hamilton. He was such a bastard in that movie and he did it so well that I thought I would never be able to look at him again in any other type of role. But once I saw him in stuff like Armageddon, I realized how easy it is to forget about past roles.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:20:42 PM
I don't think prior roles really matter in my opinion of an actor in a movie. Also as far Affleck, I don't think he could do Superman, he is Daredevil :p I honestly don't know who they will pick hopefully the choices will work. What worries me is the Joker if they go with him, who will they take to fill Nicholson's role.

Lady Vader
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:27:50 PM
Batman...

*drools*

:D

JMK
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:48:54 PM
That's right Carr, I forgot that Affleck was Daredevil. I just hope they make the right choices here. I wouldn't want two of the greatest heroes ever getting even more butchered on film.