PDA

View Full Version : Im not Ready for This: The Demise of ReaperFett

Estelle Russard
Jul 24th, 2002, 01:03:03 AM
The Arcan IV translink superferry skimmed with lightening speed across the waterways of Denyon Proper, carrying its busy occupants from point departure "A" to point departure "B" with a minimum of fuss and bother.

"Translink Gets You There!" .... or so the digital poster promised - its grinning glamour girl absurdly happy at the short amount of time it takes the transport to make the 900k trip.

Estelle did not smile back.

Her eyes blinked away from the transportation promo to stare again out the double paned window of the ferry. Not that she could see anything - all was a blur of a deep blue of the water, topped with a lighter blue of the sky due to the speed of the craft.

True to its word, though, it was "getting her there."

Words, Estelle thought. Such power they have to build or destroy. To encourage or dismay. To gladen or to make a heart heavy.

It was only "words" that had brought her to such a melancholy state of mind. It was only "words" that had prompted this trip to the streams of Aurrian to seek some healing. It was only "words...." She allowed her head to drop back against the leather headrest of the seat, and remember..

...regret to advise, Jedi Master ReaperFett is feared lost.STOP We hold out no real hope STOP May the force be with you"

She closed her eyes shut tight, trying to block out the fine orderly heartless print of the message from her mind.

Her Master's face - his handsome smile - loomed into her vision. Such kind eyes.. She even heard his voice. Calm, authorative as the day he spoke them to her, what seemed like such a short time ago.
"Yeah, I'll be here for every question. All of them" (http://pub56.ezboard.com/fgjofrm6.showMessageRange?topicID=107.topic&start=1&stop=20)

Again, Words.

She let the tears well up again to cloud her vision. Who was here to notice? Who cared who noticed?

On the overhead announcer a bell chimed and Estelle knew it would be just moments before the ferry came to dock.

"Yeah, I'll be here for every question. All of them."

ReaperFett. She has so many questions.

Zeke
Jul 24th, 2002, 04:29:56 PM
Zeke sat snoozing a few seats away. He wasn't quite asleep, but he was getting there...no he wasn't. The only other person in the car was a crying girl, and every time he opened an eye to look and see how she was, he felt for her.

"What is it?"

Zeke didn't move, nor did he open his eyes. He was gonna help her out and get some sleep at the same time.

Estelle Russard
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:59:56 PM
She looked over to him.

She thought he'd just said something, but his eyes were shut and he looked like he was trying to sleep.

Estelle leaned forward just a little and spoke quietly - not wanting to disturb him incase her ears deceived her, but not wanting to ignore him either.

"Excuse me..?"

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 28th, 2002, 10:34:26 PM
"I think he wants t'make sure you're comfy," the gruff voice came from the seat behind Estelle.

He sat there, the usual cigar in his mouth- this time unlit (per the rules of the Arcan IV spacelines), his feet out in the aile- threatening to trip anyone who walked by.

It was Aurelias Kazaar. Bounty Hunter. Cigar lover. Supposed sadist. Lovable scum.

He sat with his usual black jacket on, his own brown eyes semi-closed, in the transport wishing for the confines of The Flying Dutchman. But Estelle hadn't responded to his last few subspace messages so he figured it best to follow her onto the transport.

Good thing 'the Dutchman is in dock...I'm ready t'light this cigar up.

"So kid...I don't see your apprentices wit'ya. Where're they? Off on some Jedi Quest only for wannabes?

"Or is this jist fer ya?"

Zeke
Jul 28th, 2002, 10:47:26 PM
Zeke's right eye opened suddenly, and flicked over to look at Aurelias.

"Come again?"

He hadn't understood a word he'd just said. Goes that way when you have stuff in your mouth. He looked back at Estelle.

"Was wonderin' what you're cryin' over. You look sad."

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 29th, 2002, 09:39:59 PM
"Pretty obvious in m'mind," Kazaar didn't let Estelle continue,"The kid's missin' someone."

The bounty hunter chewed on his cigar then took a drink from his glass. It was soda which really annoyed him.

"She needs a familiar face, far as I can see."

Kazaar finally leaned over exposing his face, and with his usual smirk looked at Estelle.

"Ya'll right kid? Wanna tell Aurelias 'bout it?"

Estelle Russard
Jul 29th, 2002, 09:50:31 PM
She was stunned to see him there. She had been so engrossed in her own thoughts and sadness that she failed to even pick up on that familiar 'presence' Kazaar had about him. She should know him anywhere.

"Yes, yes..thats right. I, Im missing someone very dear to me." She explained to the kind stranger that had inquired after her well being. She added, belatedly, "thankyou for asking."

She looked at Aurelias - wearing the same confident grin he always had - and felt a wave of relief sweep over her. How could he have known how much she needed to see him right now..

She wanted to throw her arms around him and hug him, but for some reason felt reservation about it. Instead, she wrung her hands, one inside the other and bit back the tears that threatened to well up again. "Did you hear..?"

The stranger watched from his seat, blinking at them and trying to tie the conversation together.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 29th, 2002, 09:58:11 PM
"Heard sumthing 'bout it through a Selonian contact 'f mine," Kazaar said, "Sorry t'hear 'bout it. Never met the man meself...Jedi ain't my type...save for ya."

He winked then gave the back of her neck a squeeze.

"Ya ain't gittin' ridda me that easy either...

"So where ya headin' kid? Mind if I tag along, make sure ya don't get t'drinking rum without me bein' there."

Estelle Russard
Jul 29th, 2002, 10:08:14 PM
She closed her eyes as he spoke, the tears escaping at the mention of her master, even by someone who didnt know him. And then the neck squeeze, well that typically Kazaar gesture of affection made her loose all stopgags and she slumped into his shoulder, crying.

"Im gwwng to.. strmmmmss... of ..Arrrrnn"

The words were an unintelligible muffle and kind of went higher an octave by the end of the sentence as her voice cracked.

Kazaar just knew he was getting slober all over his shirt..

Zeke
Jul 29th, 2002, 10:19:07 PM
Zeke raised an eyebrow. Second time in 2 days he'd been outdone in the process of trying to help someone.

"Sometimes, bein' a nice guy is highly overrated..."

Zeke slouched lower, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

Aurelias Kazaar
Jul 29th, 2002, 10:23:49 PM
"Aww c'mon kid," Kazaar had a mock sound of embarrassment, "You're gettin' tears on m'jacket."

He went ahead and put his arm around her in a hug, trying to comfort her.

"'Ey kid...wanna go have an adventure? Jist like th'old days?"

Estelle Russard
Jul 31st, 2002, 09:27:20 PM
She managed to pull a handkerchief from her pocket and blew her nose as politely as possible. She closed her brown eyes in attempt to gain some self control, but that only caused the tears still filling them to brim over and streak down her face.

"I dont think Im much for adventure at the moment, Aurelias.." The way she said his name, the comfortable, close friendship that had always been there was evident, but somehow he heard more in it than he had before. She really needed the comfort only a person who knew her as well as he did could give.

With him, she did not have to be strong, or be a good example as a teacher to her padawans. He had seen her at her worst, and at her best. He'd seen her drunk, naked, drunk and naked. He'd seen her scared, he'd seen her beaten and angry. He never judged her and somehow, he always understood her.

Though he never knew her master ReaperFett, he knew how much she thought of him and sought to be worthy of the Jedi's instruction. He would know what a sad and bitter blow it had been for her to hear of his loss.

"I was hoping to find some answers, some solace at the Streams of Aurrian. I hear there are minerals in the pools there that help calm and sooth the heavy of spirit." Kazaar looked at her weird and she knew that it was odd for a Jedi to seek peace from outward sources.

"I...I just need to take in some good karma I guess, Kazaar" she explained. "I actually (turning to Zeke now) was wondering if this man would know how to conntact one of the Ingyan Monks to guide us through the rainforrests that surround the Streams..or maybe you know the way Kazaar...?"

Zeke
Jul 31st, 2002, 10:03:00 PM
Zeke perked an ear up. Streams of Aurrian? Rang a bell, sorta.

"Monks? think I met one while out at some old ruins in the rainforest. Can't be sure. What'd they look like?"

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:02:36 PM
""ey ya know me...all ways willin' t'take a look at new things. I've heard 'bout these monks but never talked to 'em myself.

"But I bet they're harmless. Sure ya jist don't wanna go getta drink and talk it over wit' me? Be lot cheaper ya know..."

He smirked then placed the cigar back in his mouth.

Lord I hope I can light this up soon...I'm wastin' flavor 'ere.

Estelle Russard
Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:32:21 PM
She considered Kazaars offer a moment, but when she recalled the last time she had a drink with him..and how that all went..she smiled guiltily and thought better of it. Atleast Kazaar had got her to stop crying.

She took the cigar from his mouth, and a lighter from inside his shirt pocket. Placing the cigar and clamping it between her teeth as if she were born to it, she shook her head. Moving the flame to the cigar, she shook her head. "I dont think so, Aurelias, not this time."

She returned the lit cigar to Kazaars lips.

"The monks are recognisable by a singular simple braid that is worn down their back. They are born into their order and never ever cut their hair. It is a sign of their committment."

She turned to Zeke, "Im sure we will find some as their monastery is not far from this despot."

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:58:37 PM
Kazaar smirked and almost laughed out loud when Estelle lit the cigar. He took a puff, then let the smoke waft through the transport.

"Thanks kid."

Immediately a transport official ran to where Kazaar was sitting. He was a Bothan, prim and proper. A dark tunic of blue was on his chest and he wore tan pants. He reeked of perfume and he sniffed as he looked down at Kazaar with small spectacles.

"I'm sorrrri..." he purred, "Butt yew will have to put your ceeegarrrr outtt. Thisss isss a non-ssssmokinggg trrranssssporrrtah."

Kazaar raised an eyebrow.

"Yeh...so? 'm I buggin' anyone 'round here wit'my smoke? I can go ask th'passengers here if ya want..."

The Bothan growled at the bounty hunter.

"Yew will put the ceegarrrr out orrr I will do it forrr yew."

The bounty hunter laughed out loud then stood up and blew smoke in the furred creature's face.

"Try me."

Estelle Russard
Aug 4th, 2002, 12:19:07 AM
Estelle dropped her head into one of her hands. Oh, this was just the kind of guy Kazaar liked to smoke. One quick pop, and the guy was wallpaper. And with that perfume...she would almost say he deserved it.

But Jedi she was, and Jedi she would act. She focused and as lifting her head, she made eye contact with the Bothan.

"There is no problem, the transport journey is at an end."

The Bothan's demeanor changed visibly and he echoed her statement word for word.

"I will let you go this time."

Again the Bothan said the same, and then added...

"But, sir, you really should buy yourself a better shirt.."

The transport came to a halt with a lurch and as the security officer stepped forward to aid other passengers in disembarking, Estelle gave Kazaar a small grin. So she took a liberty or two now and then.

"He's right you know. About the shirt. Really, Aurelias..what were you thinking?"

She turned to Zeke who was grabbing up his gear, ready to leave as well. "Will you be coming with us?"

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 4th, 2002, 02:47:22 PM
"Ey, I dress for comfort. Gimme a break will ya," Kazaar gave a look of mock shock as he looked at his black and green shirt. He puffed on the cigar then blew it in the face of the Bothan as he walked by. The bounty hunter would have left the cigar lit on the ship, but since it was a rarer kind, he didn't want to lose it.

"Yeh ya coming wit' us? I hear those monks can throw wild parties?"

Zeke
Aug 4th, 2002, 03:08:49 PM
Zeke looked over.

"Sure, why not?. But I'll keep my distance."

He eyed Kazaar's cigar.

"Those things cause me trouble."

He slid by and walked off the train.

Estelle Russard
Aug 4th, 2002, 05:24:07 PM
The terminal was an incredibly busy place..and one not that well designed considering the volume.

Passengers of all walks of life were forced to herd through narrow hallways, up escalators and through more narrow hallways. Estelle was bumped and jostled the whole way along and more than once was swept backwards in the other direction because of the throng.

Zeke was a little more agile it seemed and didnt suffer the same frustration and Kazaar..well if anyone was doing any pushing, you could count that it would be him and not the other way around.

Estelles light pack was knocked off her shoulder and she stooped to pick it up. The crowd, impatient and inconsiderate as crowds always were, did not allow for the move and Estelle nearly lost her footing to disappear under the crowd completely.

Kazaars strong hand gripped on her arm, yanking her up and forward. And with a slight yelp, she was again on the forward journey, squeezing in close behind the Bounty Hunter so the two moved almost as one person through the masses.

Finally...the end in sight and the multitude of bodies were disgorged from the terminal building through automatic sliding doors.

Only to face a similar mass of bodies and congestion in the outside markets. Only here, there was no airconditioning and the assault of humidity and spicey aromas from bubbling and boilding pots of the street vendors was nausiating.

Zeke
Aug 4th, 2002, 05:38:42 PM
Zeke twisted and shifted his center of gravity and emerged next to Estelle and Kazaar.

"Nice place. I dodged at least 50 vibroblades and stopped maybe 20 pickpockets. Lead on, fearless beauty." he said with a happy grin and minor sarcasm.

Estelle Russard
Aug 6th, 2002, 09:05:27 PM
The hurly burly of the market place was actually a welcome distraction to Estelle. It forced her to focus on the task at hand - securing one of the Ingyan Monks to guide them to the Streams of Aurrian - and off of the sadness that had prompted the journey in the first place, if at least for a short while. But only a very short while. Every empty moment brought Fett to her mind.

The loss of someone was not something one could deal with and be done in a day, a month, a year. It, like everything in life, was a journey. It had a beginning, it had an eventual end. For Estelle, ReaperFett was the first person close to her that had been taken so abruptly from her. She did not know how to cope, how to understand, or how to move on.

She missed him as a student would miss her Master. She felt they had travelled part way to a destination. Not a set course, but rather, as two who embark on such a journey, would discuss each new progression as it came along. Now there would be no discussion. No guidance. No map to continue by.

She missed him as a commrade. One who stood for the same principles as she herself did. As the Jedi Order did. One who would fight against the ever encroaching darkness that so relentlessly strove to overcome the light.

She missed him as a friend. As one who always was accepting of her - regardless of success or failure. One who was patient and caring and who she could not replace.

"BEEEEEEEEEEEEP"

Estelle jumped back, realising her thoughts had filled her mind so much she had been ambling the market ways automatically, without looking, and had nearly taken a red-speeder complete with abusive Dug driver, square in the chest.

Spinning around to avoid the collision, her eye caught the flick of the tell-tale braid of one of the local Monks. Pushing her way through the crowd, hoping the others wouldnt loose sight of her, she caught up with him and was able to get him to agree to take them to the streams.

It was an outdated, outmoded and outlandish means of transport, especially in the age of hyperdrives and spacecraft as the 3 travellers where accoustomed to. But the Monk was adament. This was the only transport allowed passage through the rainforrest and anyone who transgressed would be eradicated without recall. He didnt elaborate by whom, but he was sporting an unusual array of tribal weaponry that left little doubt.

Estelle smiled at Aurelias' painfull expression as he hop-stepped onto the flat-beamed raft, making the flimsy craft tilt alarmingly into the river. She seated herself on a small crate and, where she thought, she would have the best view. The Monk handed Kazaar a bamboo pole, keeping one for himself also. Taking in all 3 passengers in his glance, the Monk explained "We take turns."

Zeke
Aug 7th, 2002, 11:48:06 AM
Zeke had immediately taken to the tops of the sales booths in the market place, keeping track of Estelle without losing her, and avoiding Kazaar's smoke, which he was allergic to. He followed her to the monk, and then through the trees to the river. He landed squarely in the center of the raft, bucking it and drawing an annoyed look from the monk. He saw a pole being handed off to Kazaar and chose to ignore the monk's statement for the moment being. He sat leaning against Estelle's crate.

"Have fun you guys," he said to the two with poles.

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 25th, 2002, 12:17:16 AM
"'ey I thought Jedi were spossed t'help" Kazaar glared at Zeke as he began pushing the boat along them river way.

The monk turned towards the Jedi and threw a stick at him.

"You row now."

Kazaar smirked again and went back to his rowing.

It was a long, narrow river the quartet travelled on, surrounded by several long boats of the same nature they were on. Although the others were controlled by a motor.

The bounty hunter stifled a curse, remembering he was in the presence of a religious figure and kept rowing. The monk had yet to say anything about the cigar Kazaar was smoking, but he did smell a hint of spice and tobacco on the rough cloak the monk was wearing. He kept his smile quiet and continued to row.

"So where we headin' Mister Monk? And 're ya gonna git Jedi-boy t'help or not?"

Zeke
Aug 25th, 2002, 12:54:03 AM
Zeke sat back, then was brained by the monk's stick.

"Row? I thought you and Kazaar were doing pretty good."

He was kidding of course, but wanted to see the pair's reactions.

Estelle Russard
Aug 25th, 2002, 02:10:07 AM
The monk refrained from comment, instead he pointed. Zeke followed his line of sight and saw a large out cropping rock rearing its ragged edge up from out of the river. White foam frothed about its edges as the water broke against it and the danger was clear. They needed to be steered away from it.

Zeke was quick and lunged to his feet, pole in hand. But the force was quicker still. Estelle focused and the raft pulled left and away from the threat, seemingly of its own accord.

The monk watched on in silence, and then an understanding nod turned his attention forward. He understood these strangers more than they did him. He had seen their like before, he would see their like again.

They travelled on, the river carrying them on its ever moving back, to their destination.

Conversation had dwindled to almost nothing as each travelleler retreated into his and her own thoughts. The river changed also over time and distance. Each traveller seeing it in their own specific way.

For the monk, it was as beautiful and serene as a youthful maiden. Its calm glossy surface peaceful and soothing. The lush vegitation on its banks vibrant with colour and dancing gently in the cool breeze.

Estelle saw a different river entirely.

She pulled at her clothing - the dank humidity of the air felt oppressive and a sheen of perspiration covered her whole body. She felt closed in. The water was murky. She peered over the edge of the raft, but the river seemed covered in a film of algea and small insects hovered above it, buzzing first this way and then that.

The overhang of mangroves from the waters edge made her feel uneasy. The gnarled and twisted branches like so many fingers reaching into the water, wanting to ensnare and tangle those who came too close. This wasnt at all what she had thought the Streams of Aurran would look like. Her heart felt like a stone in her chest and she looked despondently at Kazaar, not quite knowing what to say.

The Monk announced. "We are almost there. The next turn of this bend and we will arrive at the pools you seek."

Zeke
Aug 25th, 2002, 11:18:07 AM
Zeke sat back as Estelle moved the raft with the Force.

"No need for Zeke then."

He fell silent after that, snoozing as the flow of the river relaxed him. The monk made an announcement, something about being somewhere. Zeke stretched and stood, waiting for the raft to stop.

Estelle Russard
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:42:27 PM
Estelle got to her feet, and standing next to Zeke looked out across the river and its surrounds as the raft made its way lazily around the bend.

Her voice held a hint of disappointment.

"Its not exactly what I expected."

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 28th, 2002, 09:57:20 PM
It was a small, simple adobe-style building which met the quartet's eyes as they rounded the bend.

Built years ago, the adobe had been considered servicable to the monks who lived in it. Visible from the river, a scaffolding clung to the side of one of the walls where work was currently being done on the place of the monks called home.

Kazaar smirked and choked back a laugh.

"The Jedi Temple it ain't kid, huh?" he took a puff from his cigar as he began angling the boat towards it.

The monk looked at him with large dark eyes. He then turned towards Estelle.

"Just because a building is simple and crude, does not mean it is not livable in. Your friend, the bounty hunter Kazaar knows this to be true."

Kazaar raised an eyebrow at the mention of his name.

I didn't tell 'em m'name...what th'hell?

The monk continued, pointing a gnarled figure at the Jedi Knight.

"And you, Estelle Russard, you will have to answer why you are here...before you're allowed entry into our home."

Zeke
Aug 28th, 2002, 10:02:37 PM
Zeke grinned.

"Telepathic warrior monks! Ghetto!"

Well, it was cooler than that run-down shack of a temple.

Estelle Russard
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:17:34 PM
The lump rose in her throat and stuck there, right in the base, like it always did when she was near to succomb to tears again. She fought them back as best she could, but the river - its dismal dark waters and the unwelcoming growth of the vegitation looked positively cheery compared to the squalid structure that reared up ugly and bleak before them. The whole scene reflected pretty much how she felt inside. Depressing and oppressive were the words that fit the picture here.

It took Kazaar's quizzical look for her to realise the Monk had addressed them both by their names. Had Zeke told him? She didnt recall any conversation between them at all..No, she was sure he hadnt.

The raft bumped gently against the river bank, and the travellers one by one did a small leap from transport to terrain.

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:25:21 PM
The monk gave a stare at Zeke.

"And you...Zeke...the 'happy one' of the Greater Jedi Order...yes I know about you too. You use your happiness to cover the pain inside of you...be cautious or it will consume you."

The monk walked down the rock path up towards the adobe castle.

"I'm afraid none of you are allowed entry yet...you must all tell me why you are here...now."

He looked at all three of them.

"We shall start with the one who is truly looking for something...Estelle...please tell us why you are here?"

Estelle Russard
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:35:40 PM
Looking from Kazaar to Zeke to the Monk again, Estelle was taken aback. She wasnt used to "laying her heart" right out on the table as happy-as-you-please. And that is what she would have to do, because it was in her heart that the pain was.

"I...um...er"

The Monk was not patient, which was annoying because Monks were supposed to be patient werent they? He was not frowning, but instead just staring at her hard.

Taking a deep breath, she plunged right in.

"I..well, actually, its about my Master, ReaperFett. I have had news that he has been lost - most likey and to everyones wise conclusions - killed."

She wrung her hands one inside the other. She wouldnt look at Aurelias until she was finished. Even in front of Zeke, who was mostly a stranger to her, it was Kazaar who she felt raw and vunerable in front of.

" I have no answers as to why this could happen. He was a Jedi Master. A good, kind man, seeking only to help and care for those who could not help and care for themselves. The force is supposed to protect and he was snatched away from me before I could..before I learned all I needed to...before..." she dropped her head and tears spilled freely from her eyes, " he was taken before I was ready to loose him.."

She grew angry now.

"How can the darkside win?? Why did Fett allow this? Its not supposed to be this way."

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 28th, 2002, 11:53:21 PM
"Death comes to us all," the monk said, hinting at sympathy, "We must all deal with it...and move on."

He avoided Estelle's question about the dark side, "Now you Mister Kazaar? Why are you here?"

Kazaar gave a half-shrug, "The kid needed some moral support. And I ain't got alotta friends in th'galaxy. She's one of'em. I figured...I could help 'er abit."

The monk smiled, "Despite all of your disreputable attitude there is more to you than just sardonism. Good..."

"Didn't think I was that soft," Kazaar muttered.

The monk continued as if he hadn't hear him, "For you will need her in the months to come.

"Oh yes...you will."

He turned to Zeke, "Now, happy one, why are you here?"

Zeke
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:18:50 AM
"B'cuz Estelle needs some help! I'm just tryin' to be a good li'l Jedi and help her."

His answer was short, simple, to the point. Zeke was never one for long explanations.

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 29th, 2002, 08:51:05 AM
"A 'good little Jedi'," the monk repeated as if pondering over the statement like a Jawa does a droid, "Very well...you may all enter now."

He began leading the trio up the path towards the wooden gate, which allowed people in and out of the place of worship.

"Zeke, a word please," the monk pulled the younger Jedi aside, away from the bounty hunter and the Jedi Knight.

"I do not trust Mister Kazaar or his intentions," the monk said, keeping his voice low, "We monks are non-violent, I think you should have a talk with him, in the near future..."

The monk waited Zeke's response.

Zeke
Aug 29th, 2002, 09:00:17 AM
"He's gruff, but he seems to be an okay kinda guy. I'll talk to him though, if it makes ya feel better."

Estelle Russard
Aug 30th, 2002, 09:29:48 PM
She could feel Kazaar's stare. He walked beside her and was deliberately looking down at her, waiting for her to look back, willing her to.

She couldnt.

He had heard everything she said to the Monk, and she felt embaressed for being so weak and...girly.

She felt...maybe he would laugh at her. Or worse, pat her on the head like she was a child and tell her "chin up."

She wondered if he had even noticed she'd grown up since they'd last seen each other. Keerrourri Sarrtarroa sure thought she was pretty grown up.

Gah, she needed to get a grip. Since Fett had been killed, she was an emotional basket case.

Zeke and the Monk followed behind them, and then the Monk moved forward directing the three of them into 3 separate rooms.

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 30th, 2002, 11:21:25 PM
Kazaar stared at his room. It was pretty simple, a lot like the Dutchman, though the bed looked more comfortable. There actually was a view of the river below.

To the bounty hunter, the river was a tumultous storm...churning and boiling as it threatened to overturn ships from their rides. Such was Kazaar's life. And he knew it.

Aurelias left his room, popping his neck and lighting a cigar as he rapped on Estelle room. He heard a gentle sob cut off at the sign of the knocking, then Estelle's tear stained face came to view.

"Hey kid...look I admit I ain't great 'bout sympathy, hell mosta my collegues wouldn't give a banta's ass if I were vaped or vice versa."

He gave one of his more confident smirks, then for no reason pulled her into a hug.

"Look...ya got two apprentices righ? 'N they'reventually gonna go out on their own right? Well, you're doin' it now. Ya been growin' up ever since ya left me.

"Ya ain't that scared kid I ran inta'n Arcan IV three years ago. Nor th' one I ran inta last year on Kuat. So relax kid...it'll be all right."

Then he kissed her on the forehead.

"C'mon kid...let's getta drink."

Estelle Russard
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:15:28 AM
She shook her head in the negative. She didnt feel much like drinking - whether it was to get merry or to dull the heartache she was feeling.

No, this was something she needed to straighten out in her heart and face head on and not with false courage or blunted senses that hard liquor temporarily brings.

What he said helped, and she was sure he never knew just how much store she put on the things he said to her. It cheered her to be reminded of when they first met. It seemed a lifetime ago. A faint smile pulled at the corners of her mouth, but it didnt last long.

She pulled back after allowing herself the luxury of Kazaar's hug to momentarily carry the weight she'd been under, and looked up at him.

"Dont you see, Aurelias? This cant be wiped away with a few beers and some witty conversation"

He looked at her oddly..witty??

"ok, witty is not the right word, but you know what I mean. Im serious about this - I just cant seem to shake this burden. I think Zeke would be much better company for you tonight."

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:37:20 AM
Kazaar almost scoffed, "Kid...ya think I want ya to drink liquor tonight? C'mon...I might drink my heartache down but I know ya don't. I meant water, kiddo now c'mon let's go!"

He half pulled/half led her down to the eating area where the monks sat and ate.

"Go on...getcha self some food. I'll get us some drink. I hear th'monks make a good ale...I'll wanna try that.

"And relax kid, you're drinkin' water...oh and get me something t'eat too."

Estelle Russard
Aug 31st, 2002, 01:54:35 AM
Water?

She didn't think Kazaar even knew it existed as a beverage. She had never ever seen him drink anything but bourboun.

Her resistance was futile. Despite her stiffening her legs and trying to dig her heels into the hard packed earth floor, the Bounty Hunter had trundled her down to what looked like the main room of the structure.

Set up in seemingly no sembalence of order were low tressels and plump hessian coushins for seating. Atleast two dozen monks sat to dinner in scattered groups, Zeke in the midst of one of them, regalling them all with some tale or other. He waved a hearty hello from his place on the floor, and scooped some noodles hungrily into his mouth with a wooden fork. He said something else to his hosts, and they all peeled back in laughter.

Getting two bowls of noodles for herself and Aurelias, while he helped himself to a hefty mug of ale and a tall bamboo cup of cool water for Estelle, the Jedi Knight made her way as if to take a seat by themselves.

However, that was thwarted when their guide came up beside her and steered her to the happy crowd beside Zeke.

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:21:38 AM
"Come, over here," the monk said, pulling the duo towards where Zeke was making the monks laugh, "There is happiness here."

Estelle and Kazaar sat at the back of the crowd, and began eating their noodles with wooden forks. The bounty hunter took a long swig of his ale and smiled.

"That...is a damn good ale," Aurelias smiled and took another drink.

"Ya know, kid, it was interestin'...how'd ya see the river as we came in? 'm almost tempted t'think it was'n optical illusion of some kind."

Estelle Russard
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:36:10 AM
Strange that Kazaar would suspect such an illusion, and not her. No sleight to him, but she was the "force" sensitive one here..Her and Zeke - she wondered what her new Jedi friend made of all this.

"It was wretched and horrible, thats all I know."

Remembering too late to lower her voice, she leant close to the Bounty Hunter and whispered, "I felt disappointed. It was dreary and seemed to inspire little hope. The pools were the same. Am I supposed to bath in that tomorrow?"

She moved even closer.

"Is that how you saw it?"

Aurelias Kazaar
Aug 31st, 2002, 02:39:37 AM
"Saw it as a rough watered river threatenin' to turn us over and destroy us all. The pools were different though. They werra bit calmer but not by much. Perhaps how're thoughts are?"

He stood up, interuptting Zeke's story about a mynock and a power chord.

"'Ey...that river out there...that supposed t'mean sumthin' or are th'seas that rough t'day?"

Estelle Russard
Sep 8th, 2002, 04:02:55 PM
The monks smiled in varying degrees of "knowing" as Kazaar stood and asked of the river. One whispered to another and they in turn nodded in agreement....The energetic man in the loud shirt was more sensitive than his block-headed manners led them to believe.

Estelle sat dumbstruck. She had no idea Kazaar could be so profound. But as he spoke, she realised he had hit the nail on the head exactly.

She had seen the river as dark and gloomy and opressed...everybit the way she felt inside.

Aurelias on the other hand saw it as tumultuous, constantly changing and revealing new dangers...that was his life in a nutshell.

Zeke had seemed completely unperturbed by everything..perhaps he was the only one among them who didnt have "issues." Perhaps he had all things in his life in perfect balance. Estelle envied him.

"Sit down, Kazaar" she called softly. "I think I understand."

Zeke
Sep 8th, 2002, 04:24:54 PM
Zeke grinned and looked about at the monks, about to finish his story, when Kazaar asked about the river.

"The river means nothing more than a means of travel and a sound that encourages humankind's number one relief!"

The monks laughed, and Zeke grinned.

"Hey Estelle, smile!"

Aurelias Kazaar
Sep 11th, 2002, 08:47:47 PM
Kazaar scoffed, "And ya call yaself a Jedi. I ain't one, 'n I know that river ain't a normal one."

He finished his ale then stalked out of the dinner area, his cigar smoke leaving a trail as he left.

"Kids these days," he grumped to himself, "I swear they don't take some things seriously 'nough.

"I need 'nother drink."

He started walking towards the entrance of the monk's dwelling. The bounty hunter swore he'd seen a bar 'round there somewhere.

Zeke
Sep 11th, 2002, 08:56:26 PM
"I was just kiddin..."

Zeke's smile lessened as Kazaar stomped off.

"I know something's up with it. If I knew what that something was, I'd have given him a straight answer..."

Estelle Russard
Sep 14th, 2002, 07:11:04 PM
She pushed her plate away. If she'd had any appetite before Kazaars unhappy exit, she had none at all now.

"I think Im calling it a night" she said to Zeke.

She knew her fellow Jedi had not meant to anger the Bounty Hunter, but she didn't have it in her to try to put Zeke at ease about it. Those two could just work it out themselves, she just couldnt cope with anything more on her mind tonight.

Getting up from where she sat, the Knight left the dining area to return to her spartan room.

Tossing herself down on her bunk, the stuffing of its mattress was meager and lent itself grudginly to comfort. Estelle hardly noticed.

Within moments she fell into an exausted sleep, the drain on her emotions finally taking its toll and sending her into a deep and much needed rest.

But if her body slept, her mind did not. The dreams came and went in a continual succession and as she woke to the early morning jungle noises, she couldnt beleive she had even slept an hour, let alone all night.

Zeke
Sep 15th, 2002, 10:47:30 AM
Zeke flopped over backwards on the floor as Estelle left.

"Hey guys, ya ever get that feeling that no matter what'cha do, it never quite turns out like you'd expect it?"

There were nods and mumbled commentary from a few of the monks, and then dinner was cleaned up. Zeke laid there on the floor, lost in his own thoughts, trying to work out a way to fix what he'd done wrong. He eventually nodded off, and was awakened by a monk kicking him.

"Breakfast, happy child."

Aurelias Kazaar
Sep 21st, 2002, 11:02:32 PM
Kazaar was still semi-tipsy as he staggered back towards the monastary. The smell of bourbon was heavily on his breath as was the smell of cigar smoke. It'd been a while since Kazaar had gotten good and drunk and to a degree he was happy he had.

Dealin' witha buncha poodoo don't help if ya sober...

And he was far from sober.

The bounty hunter nodded at the monk doing his morning meditation on the front lawn.

"Did you have a fun night, Mister Kazaar?" the monk asked, his eyes closed.

"Yeh...t'was kinda 'un. Beena while since I gotten drun;"

The monk was still meditating, "You are drinking too much, you know this..."

Kazaar snorted, then nodded, "Yeh...nottalot I ca'do 'bout it tho. I am what I am."

"That is quite true. But even you know your limit."

Kazaar nodded again, sobering up a bit, "Yeh...true. 'Pends what ya git."

'N th'bounty ain't gonna help m'get any jobs.

"Your friend Estelle cried in her sleep last night. She is indeed hurt by the loss of her master. I do suggest you go and see her.

"But first," the monk said, a smile coming to his face, "Please wash your face and brush your teeth. I doubt the smell of alcohol would be appealing to Estelle this morning."

Kazaar nodded...prolly was a good thing.

About twenty minutes later, the bounty hunter had entered the room Estelle was still sleeping, her face twitching as she still dreamed.

"'ey kid...it's 'lmost mid-mornin'..C'mon...git up."

Estelle Russard
Sep 21st, 2002, 11:52:03 PM
The light shake of her shoulders woke her and for a moment she thought she was on Bespin again, Kazaar rousing her and warning her of impending explosions or brutes with guns about to come crashing in the door. She started from the bunk, but Kazzar tightened his grip, reading almost exactly what she had thought.

"ey, kid take it easy. Were with the Monks remember?"

She let out an exausted sigh and fell back into the bed again.

"I didnt even get changed.." She looked at her crumpled clothing.

"lets get outta here, kid. This karma meditating stuff isnt helpin' ya, 'n it sure 's hell ain't makin' me feel good." "

Aurelias thought she should have taken his suggestion for dulling the pain. He'd always found comfort..or atleast pain-numbing releif...in the bottle of a good year of bourbon. Hell, she wouldnt have looked any worse than she did this morning.

She nodded and the sadness overwhelmed her again. She took his hand and held it in both of hers to her heart, soft tears falling silently down her face.

After an awkward few minutes she let his hand go again.

"Youre right. I'll get freshened up and we can get Zeke and go."

Aurelias Kazaar
Sep 22nd, 2002, 12:33:39 AM
"Aww...can't w'leave 'im 'ere?" Kazaar gave a mock whine, "'e could use some 'elp with th' monks..."

The bounty hunter laughed at the look in the Jedi Knight's face.

"Jist kidding, kid...relax. We'll git 'im. Then I'm gonna get ya drink once we're off planet. Th' Dutchman'll be 'ere later."

"Ya gonna be 'll right?"

Estelle Russard
Oct 11th, 2002, 08:10:43 PM
She nodded and got up to get ready to leave. She was so grateful to have Aurelias in her life. One day, she would tell him so.

Kazaar left to find Zeke, and in the interim, Estelle took the time to order her thoughts.

The dreams the night before had been fitful and disjointed for the most part. But one seemed to recall to her with clarity. It was, not surprisingly, about ReaperFett. The images of it were vivid, but the interactions and conversation between herself and Fett were obscure. It definitely stood out to her mind, but its meaning was hard to grasp. It was like wading in deep water and being unable to quite move forward as fast as one knew they could.

Estelle decided its message was something important, but was not for her to know right now. Like a picture being drawn, but only partially revealed. One day, she felt sure, she would understand it.

Tugging her brown hair into a soft bun at the nape of her neck, the Jedi Knight - calmer than when she arrived - exited the room to catch up with her companions.