PDA

View Full Version : The Time Machine

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:09:21 PM
Well I rented it tonight and it was okay but no where near as good as the original. First off I didn't like some of the changes the US setting I thought was wrong, it felt better in London, second the movie felt rushed it was only 96 minutes long I think it should have been 2 hours (I wonder if it was suppose to be longer, I know the director Wells great grandson couldn't finish filming the movie because he was stressed I wonder if they just wrapped it up and took what they had done) Finally Irons part made no sense, and that was my biggest problem, he didn't explain well who he was and his part seemed way too small, all of the sudden he just pops up when the movie is almost over, and then dies before the end very quickly though it was a little cool effect, also I didn't get the end how did he make the time machine destroy the Morlock underground like that, it just didn't make sense. Well the movie is not awful, it is just greatly inferior to the original which is a classic IMO and that is really my problem with the movie.

JonathanLB
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:28:37 PM
I have never seen the original, but it doesn't seem like it would appeal to me as much.

I think the sequel is VERY good. I loved it. I've seen it twice now, once on the airplane, once opening day. Great effects, obviously great story, and I liked the actors, including Orlando Jones' cameo parts, which were great.

I thought the running time was excellent. I am so sick of 2 hour long movies. Aside from the Star Wars films, very few of them can pull off 2+ hours with grace. Mostly, they are overly long and clumsy, K-19 being a recent example. I would have given it 3 stars had it just been 20 minutes to 30 minutes shorter. My attention span for a great film, ala LOTR, is great (3 hours, hehe), but for a decent to pretty good movie, it had better be less than 100 minutes or I'm going to get antsy.

Great running time w/The Time Machine. I am going to go out and buy this movie soon.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:30:49 PM
LOTR is a good story and 3 hours felt a lot shorter cos they kept it running. Especially the Mines of Moria, that was a 20 minute battle, felt like 5. . .

ReaperFett
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:32:06 PM
The original was good, but I wouldnt watch it again

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:32:18 PM
The original is great you should watch it might surprise you, the effects were considered the best of their time and the the plot makes more sense IMO. The reason why I say it is short is because the plot seems rushed, there is enough character development and there are too many plot holes that could have been cleared up with at least 10-15 minutes explaning them all. Also I didn't understand the whole thing when he went back to try in time why didn't he run into his other self? He still would have been there that didn't make any sense and it was never explained.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:37:26 PM
Not seeing the sequel, but the original, was that he never encountered an equal to his machine. If you can build something in the now, you should see it again the future.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:48:32 PM
Well in his case the future was wiped out by the Nuclear war so that could be explained that way. Of course in most time machine movies we never do see this Back to the Future comes to mind (we don't see any other time travelers) it could be that these individuals are just odd characters and it shows how hard it is to make time travel work.

JonathanLB
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:49:23 PM
That would not make any sense to me if he met himself going back in time. When you time travel, I would think, theoretically if such a thing were possible, you, the real you, could exist only one time in the space-time continuum and therefore your original self could not exist at the same time when you went back. That just wouldn't make sense. There is only one you.

Now, of course it is different if we're going to use the theory they did in "The One," a movie I really, really loved, and then there are a huge number of the same person, and they must be killed so that you can become THE ONE! :) Amen.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 24th, 2002, 12:14:16 AM
They were in different dimensions, not times.

JonathanLB
Jul 24th, 2002, 12:50:42 AM
Whatever, lol. :)

This is a geeky conversation anyway. Eh, look who's talking, I have seen AOTC 45 times.

Now where did I put my pocket protector...

:lol

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2002, 01:34:54 AM
Well if we go by the Back to the Future theory it would create a paradox and destroy the space time continum, really I don't think you could meet your self and that maybe is why time travel is impossible.

CMJ
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:50:49 AM
I rather despised "Time Machine'". To be honest other than the effects I felt the film was poor, very poor. In fact it's currently in the running for most disappointing film of the year(if not just plain worst).

That's why they make more than 1 film a year though, right? :)

JonathanLB
Jul 24th, 2002, 12:03:02 PM
To be honest I rather wish that were the only film of the year, so that you would be left to wallow in the misery of its poorness for 365 days! ;)

lol, j/k

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 24th, 2002, 01:30:18 PM
Well it wasn't a great movie, it could have been a lot of better in my opinion, part of the problem was putting HG Wells great grandson as director, I think he tried way too hard plus I don't think he is a very good director.

Taataani Meorrrei
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:33:41 PM
I have never seen a movie look so decent for almost its whole entirity, but contain enough suckitude in its ending alone to make the movie suck harder than a diesel powered quantum singularity.

In other words....Time Machine = teh suk

ReaperFett
Jul 24th, 2002, 02:48:50 PM
It deserved a teh! The world ends! :)

Shawn
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:47:16 PM
I'm pretty much avoiding it. Maybe I'll watch it, if I don't have to pay for the rental. But I loved the original, and I knew that this remake wouldn't measure up.

JMK
Jul 24th, 2002, 07:59:54 PM
You would figure there's no excuse for not improving on an original. Everything is already in place, except now you have way more at your disposal, effects being a prime example.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 26th, 2002, 02:08:24 AM
The original was...different. I saw them in backwards order..and I love Guy Pearce..so I'll withhold my opinion of him for a few seconds.

The movie wasn't the best.

*few seconds are over*

BUT GUY PEARCE IS BURNINGLY HOTNESS!

And Jonathan, it isn't a sequel its a REMAKE. :)

Mu Satach
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:32:31 PM
I walked out of the theater feeling rather unsure of whether I liked it or not.

Compaired to the book... it sucks.
Compaired to the 60's version... it sucks.

but I can't say I really didn't like it because there were certain aspects of it that I really enjoyed. But on the whole I guess I would have to say it was a bit disappointing just becuase it's such a great story and had so much potential and yet it just wasn't great.

oh yeah... and ditto... Guy Pearce is hotness personified... though I much prefer Memento. >=)

CMJ
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:35:29 PM
Jeremy Irons' character was WAY over the top. Damn he was almost on par with his performance in "Dungeons in Dragons".

Mu Satach
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:39:04 PM
:: shudders at the memory ::
Now that performance almost made me swear off of ever watching Jeremy again. >_<

CMJ
Jul 26th, 2002, 06:40:58 PM
Actually he was SOO over the top in "Dungeons and Dragons" I rather enjoyed it.

To be honest I feel like that movie is a modern Ed Wood film. It's so laughably bad I enjoy it.

Mu Satach
Jul 26th, 2002, 07:08:22 PM
Ahhh.... that's why it was painful to watch... I was alone. :D
I need to have someone around me to partake of the witty repartee.

CMJ
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:05:02 PM
Next time it's on cable Mu, stop by. :p

Mu Satach
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:21:10 PM
Ok...

wait...

on second thought...

working out the itinerary to coinside with the cable showing is a bit much. :p

CMJ
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:22:48 PM
LMAO!

Jedieb
Jul 26th, 2002, 08:35:32 PM
If I don't see this one on HBO then I'm probably not going to see it. There wasn't anything in the trailer or commercials for it that made me want to see it. I have to go with JMC, the original was a pretty good movie. The effects were solid for the day and its age certainly shoudn't deter anyone from seeing it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 26th, 2002, 09:47:33 PM
Yeah if you liked the original I wouldn't watch rent the new one, it is just so inferior, also what was the deal the moon falling into the earth?? Couldn't they have come up with a better idea, Nuclear disaster or something else but the whole thing just didn't make sense to me Also Irons was over the top, also I didn't see the point for him being in the movie, he was only in it 15 minutes if that, and it truly never explained what he was. I figured he was cross breed between the eloi and the Morlocks which is interesting idea but it is never explored. And I still can't figure out how he destroyed the whole Morlock colony that still puzzels me Also finally they have Alan Young have a cameo and he is in for like 30 second and if you blink you miss him, I found that awful, why not show him more since he played such a major role in the first film.

Mu Satach
Jul 30th, 2002, 06:18:35 PM
Yeah, the ending is a bit of a puzzler... the book and the 60's flick tie up the strings nicely... this one doesn't... *sigh*