PDA

View Full Version : Who will wipe the droids' memories?

JMK
Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:22:19 PM
My guess off the cuff is Anakin. 3P0 and R2 were the only two to have witnessed their forbidden marriage, so if he gets rid of their memories, what proof does anyone have that they got married?
And if he tried to keep her quiet on it as well?

Just a thought. Any others?

darth_mcbain
Jul 22nd, 2002, 04:43:49 PM
Hmmm, it could definitely be Anakin... He has much to gain by erasing their memory. I had always thought that they lost it just in the line of duty somewhere along the line (since Threepio says "with all we've been through, its a wonder we're in as good shape as we are", or something like that when Luke is cleaning them up.) But considering all that 3PO has been through (getting his head knocked off in a droid factory, getting blasted to pieces in cloud city...) without his memory being majorly affected leads me to think that maybe Anakin (or someone) does it purposely...

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:15:07 PM
I am guessing either Obi-Wan or Padme for the obvious reason that they know the location of the twins.

Doc Milo
Jul 22nd, 2002, 05:47:44 PM
I think Threepio will have his memory wiped by Padme, because he knows the location of the twins, just like Carr said. I don't think Artoo will have his memory wiped at all...

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 29th, 2002, 04:36:04 AM
I think Artoo may well not have it's memories erased. HE clearly knows what's going on in EP IV.

Threepio has an accident and his erasure is accidental

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 29th, 2002, 04:50:53 AM
Not accidental. On purpose. It would be very "jar jar" ish to make the erasure accidental. To be proper, and it IS a very valid plot point, the memory wipe will/hopefully be on purpose. And it'll be Obi Wan, to protect the twins.

JMK
Jul 29th, 2002, 02:55:53 PM
So we've got a real mix here: Anakin, Obi-Wan, Padme. This should be a good debate heading into Episode 3!

Doc Milo
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:21:01 PM
Here's a thought. What if the droids memories aren't wiped at all. What if they get programmed where the information is still available, but they can't access it without a direct inquiry about the information, and a passcode of some sort.

Or, what if they are merely programmed never to speak of it again.

Or, what if only the information regarding Anakin, Tatooine, and the twins is erased, but everything else is kept intact?

Remember, they are droids; they have computers for brains. Computers can be programmed to do what the user wants it to do....

JMK
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:54:03 PM
I think of them as computers. I could go and erase files such as pics, word documents, videos, mp3's etc....
Information other than their core programming, in 3P0's case etiquette and protocol would be information that could be readily destroyed. But the other scenarios are also possible Doc.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 30th, 2002, 02:03:46 AM
When I said "memory wipe" I didn't mean that his core programming would be wiped. All droids, for mainentance, had their memories wiped every year or so. When you got a new droid = customary to wipe the memories, or the memories were wiped before the sale, so the droids woudln't tell you where their old owners kept the jewels, or the combinations to safes, etc.

I think its sort of a short term memory thing, in human standards. :) IG-88 would know better than I. ;)