MEN IN BLACK 4.591
K-19 4.046
MR.DEED 2.467
EIGHT LEGGED FREAK 2.227
REIGN OF FIRE 2.210
HALLOWEEN 1.880
LILO&STITCH 1.520
MINORITY REPORT 1.389

I found them on the Box office Mojo numbers they seem awfully low, if they are true it looks like almost all of us tanked in the contest.

JMK
Jul 20th, 2002, 12:08:16 PM
If those numbers are correct and play out the whole weekend, then we all tank, which won't be bad, no one gains, no one falls back. :)

JonathanLB
Jul 20th, 2002, 03:32:57 PM
What an awful weekend. Everything is doing terrible.

When I saw K-19 Friday, I was wondering because the auditorium was just past half full at the 7:20 showing, which is absolutely the ideal time opening day.

JMK
Jul 20th, 2002, 03:54:36 PM
Yeah, but how was the movie????

ReaperFett
Jul 20th, 2002, 04:26:25 PM
I will be curious to know what you all think of this movie.

This was one of those really annoying movies as a critic because I ended up giving it half-way between two star ratings and I had to think about this for a while to determine what the movie gets.

I have decided to give it 2.5 stars. It's a much better 2.5 star film than quite a few others I can think of, though. I was close to awarding it 3, but ultimately I felt the running time was far too long and I just wasn't that interested in the movie during a lot of the mid-sections. Then it really picked up near the end, like the last 30 to 45 minutes.

I dunno, I'll be curious to see what you all think. It was a pretty good movie, nearly good, but ultimately I was a bit let down. Probably one of the biggest disappointments so far this summer to me, though this summer has had very few disappointments. MIB2 being probably the biggest.

Im not going to do this often :)

Jedieb
Jul 20th, 2002, 05:38:20 PM
If K-19 tanks it'll be because Ford was woefully miscast. I'm a HUGE Harrison Ford fan but that Russian accent of his seemed forced to say the least. I don't think I've ever been this blase about a Ford flick, ever.

JMK
Jul 20th, 2002, 05:57:20 PM
His accent does seem bad. But I haven't been so blase since Sabrina. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 20th, 2002, 06:38:15 PM
The top movie only did 5 and a bit million?

Bad. Real bad.

JonathanLB
Jul 20th, 2002, 07:44:05 PM
I don't know how an accent would bother anyone. I don't think anyone needed to have an accent and the movie would have been fine too. Ford is great in it, that's not the problem.

Actually, Liam Neeson and Ford are both great together, it's really cool. Han Solo and Qui-Gon Jinn, hehe. I love Neeson in TPM, he's just a great actor. He really adds credibility to the cast of TPM as Sir Alec Guinness did in ANH. Of course, I like all of the main Star Wars actors throughout the Saga. I think they are fantastic actors, especially Mark Hamill actually. He's a great Luke Skywalker, absolutely perfect acting throughout the OT, yet I don't think the poor guy could have pulled off any other parts. He was like a one-trilogy wonder, hehe. He perfectly changes from whinny Luke to confident, Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker by ROTJ. It's great, I think, and Ford rocks.

The critics must really be stupid if they don't think the acting in the Star Wars movies is good. I've always thought it is fantastic.

I'm surprised at how bad the box office numbers are, for a summer weekend especially. Next weekend should be big for AP3 I suppose.

Then, unlike some years, August is loaded. XXX and Signs come to mind as two that should have no problems clearing $30 million opening weekend. Maybe $40M, even.

XXX looks super awesome

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 20th, 2002, 08:43:02 PM
well the stock market went down 400 points Friday maybe that explains it all :p Seriously I have no clue, I guess there was no interest in Stuart Little 2 and nobody wants to see another sub movie. Also I agree about AP3 even though I have no interest in seeing, I also think Signs will do better than XXX, I have a feeling that Signs will open between 50-60 million and make around 250 for the year that is my gut feeling, I think it will be a huge movie just from everything that I have seen and I know so many people who want to see it.

Sanis Prent
Jul 21st, 2002, 12:26:28 AM
If you want to hear good Russian accents...you should rent Gorky Park ;)

JonathanLB
Jul 21st, 2002, 02:22:13 AM
I actually really hope you are right, Carr, but I do not believe Signs will open very large. I think it will have very good staying power and be around forever as there are never any very worthy movies that come out in Sept. or Oct., but I still don't see Signs opening much above $35M, which is good, but not great.

Then I think it will hang around with sub-30% declines.

XXX is going to open with probably $35 to $45 million, but decline in the 40's I think, mid-40's probably.

Final for XXX will be $130 million, I think.

Final for Signs will be $175 million.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:23:39 AM
I disagree mainly because Signs has been the most talked about movie really of the year, it has been talked about on all the shows, its trailer has been the most talked about and the buzz is tremendous. I think it will do at least over 40 million in the first weekend could do as high as the low 50's, it will depend on a lot of factors for that. And it will clear 200 million making it the 3rd highest grossing film of the summer.