PDA

View Full Version : K-19

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2002, 10:53:22 PM
This is the new Harrison Ford movie about a nuclear submarine almost going nuclear, the reviews so far has been quite good 68% by RT so far, the movie looks a lot better than U571 and looks similar to The Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide (both great Sub movies, I know I should include Das Boot, but I just haven't seen it yet I will one day). I am thinking about going to see it probably not this weekend though, hopefully Monday afternoon. Anybody have any thoughts on it? Or if you have seen it post your opinion of the movie.

Quadinaros
Jul 18th, 2002, 11:32:53 PM
Han Solo and Qui-Gon Jinn on screen together... I'm there!! I'm going Friday afternoon for sure. It looks like it should be a good one. I'm just not sure if I can accept Han Solo with a Russian accent. :|

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2002, 02:17:34 AM
I will see this tomorrow night and probably go see AOTC afterwards.

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:43:24 AM
I wanna see "K-19", not sure when I'll have the time. Perhaps the week after next...

Khan Surak
Jul 19th, 2002, 08:47:37 AM
Yeah, I agree about the whole Harrison Ford russian accent thing. The story is actually based on true events, though I'm not sure if it'll work out the same way.

See, back during the Cold War, they had the whole arms race thing. Subs were a big part of this, so the Soviets slapped together a sub that looked great on paper, but had tons of problems and little bugs they neglected to take out because they were in such a rush to beat the Americans, who had already launched a Nuclear Submarine, the Nautilus. The K-19 was, in the design specs, faster than the Nautilus, better armed, and quieter. Big engine failure, many died, but the engineers saved the boat after they exposed themselves to radiation and fixed the problem.

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:18:08 AM
I loved that film. Belushi and the dog were cool.

Oh, wait...

:)

I'm not that intrested really

Sanis Prent
Jul 19th, 2002, 03:20:08 PM
Ford's russian sounds a helluva lot better than Neeson's.

ReaperFett
Jul 19th, 2002, 03:28:37 PM
But is it better than Connery's? ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2002, 10:17:22 PM
From the trailers it sounds convencing but who knows for sure, have to see the movie to know that. I will probably go see it this week Monday perhaps.

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2002, 11:15:02 PM
I will be curious to know what you all think of this movie.

This was one of those really annoying movies as a critic because I ended up giving it half-way between two star ratings and I had to think about this for a while to determine what the movie gets.

I have decided to give it 2.5 stars. It's a much better 2.5 star film than quite a few others I can think of, though. I was close to awarding it 3, but ultimately I felt the running time was far too long and I just wasn't that interested in the movie during a lot of the mid-sections. Then it really picked up near the end, like the last 30 to 45 minutes.

I dunno, I'll be curious to see what you all think. It was a pretty good movie, nearly good, but ultimately I was a bit let down. Probably one of the biggest disappointments so far this summer to me, though this summer has had very few disappointments. MIB2 being probably the biggest.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 20th, 2002, 10:48:32 PM
No one's Russian is better than Connery's. *sigh* I love The Hunt For Red October.

ReaperFett
Jul 21st, 2002, 04:33:20 AM
LD, COnenry's was SCOTTISH ;)

Jinn Fizz
Jul 21st, 2002, 05:52:01 PM
I saw K-19 today, and I thought it was quite good. Very bleak and depressing at times, no doubt, but still very good. I'm glad that after all these years, that crew's story can finally be told, even with whatever Hollywood embellishments they may have added on. Those men were heroes and deserve to be remembered as such.

And yeah, Ford's Russian accent wavered fairly often, and it sounded like Neeson pretty much stuck to his Irish accent. But no matter, they both gave very strong performances. :)

Quadinaros
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:31:37 AM
I was very pleased with K-19. Having Ford and Neeson really added credibility to the movie and some surprising twists near the end.

Granted, there's little more that can be done with the submarine genre, but I definitely enjoyed this movie more than U-571.

JonathanLB
Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:35:29 PM
Really? Wow...

U-571 was so much more exciting, so much better paced. Just a lot better submarine movie. How can you have a submarine movie, i.e. K-19, without any torpedos being fired back and forth and without the submarine being in any danger besides from within? It's unique, I'll give it that, but it doesn't work for a 2 hour and 20 minute movie. Maybe an hour and 40 minutes would have been nice.

Eh, it wasn't a bad film, but it wasn't good either I didn't think. Darn.