PDA

View Full Version : Eight Legged Freaks...

FLMKR4EB
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:40:16 PM
is not even worth a review.

Its way to silly, not scary, and over all just goofy.

My friend got me in to see it the other night at his theater. I got in free, got free popcorn and soda, and I still only broke even because it was so bad. It is meant to be a farce of those cheesey low budget 50's giant bug movies. And it fell short of them all by five miles.

Its entertaining enough for a rental, but not worth anything more. Silly just silly. It brought a smile to my face, but only cause it was so dang goofy.

RATING: D-

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:50:27 PM
It looked as bad as you describe it from the trailers, I am not sure if I would even bother renting it. Really if I want to see a movie spoofing those insect films of the 50's and 60's I just go and rent Tremors which I am sure is a much better film.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2002, 05:00:08 PM
And if anybody wants to know its box office it made about 1.4 for Wed barely beating out Reign of Fire at #4, that could be a bad sign for it this weekend, I am having my doubts if it will crack the top 5.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 18th, 2002, 06:43:56 PM
1.4 for opening day?! :lol

JMK
Jul 18th, 2002, 09:53:41 PM
Well the makers were up for making a joke of a movie, and the moviergoers are intent on making a joke of the box office take.

Darth23
Jul 18th, 2002, 10:38:43 PM
I'm rooting for the alligator.

;)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2002, 10:45:49 PM
The reviews have also been very bad except one and this one review I think proves that this man has lost it

http://www.suntimes.com/output/ebert1/cst-ftr-freaks17f.html

He gives it three stars, so it is better than Spiderman, Star Wars and on par with LOTR in his opinion, I have now come to conclusion that Ebert is senile.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:22:27 AM
He WHAT?

He's a nut

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2002, 12:29:11 AM
He is the only major critic to give it a good review, USA Today gave it 2 stars, EW gave it a D, every major paper gave it bad reviews because it is bad. But Ebert thinks its good he says it is better than MIB2, I have to say it looks worse, the CGI looks fake there is nobody in it except David Arquette who cannot carry a movie, the plot (from reading the reviews) makes no sense. Considering these facts I have to think Ebert has been smoking something recently or has just lost it.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 19th, 2002, 01:22:53 AM
I seriously suggest he's lost it. His review ranks and what he bases his reviews on are truly becoming weird.

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2002, 02:25:45 AM
Ok if we're all going to do what *I* always get accused of, then I should at least the get chance to call you all hypocrites and then move onto the real point of my post ;) lol, j/k with you guys.

But seriously, I loved the trailers for this movie as did most people I know, and many people actually really want(ed) to see this, so the box office take MAY pick up this weekend, but who knows. I don't care. The movie was good though! Ebert is right, for once. It's a solid 3 star movie, a B movie. I'd give it a B too, hehe. Is it really cheesy? Dang right. Is it cliched and predictable? Oh hell yeah. Is it supposed to be all of those things? YES! It is, after all, a spoof. It's also pretty darn funny and pretty hard not to like I think.

D-?! Haha, ouch, it's not at all a bad movie. I can't believe you didn't enjoy it. You know, some movies can just be fun and they don't have to be awesome, well done movies like Road to Perdition ;) Just saying...

Oh and this, hehe:

"Well the makers were up for making a joke of a movie, and the moviergoers are intent on making a joke of the box office take."

ROFL, that has to be the funniest thing I have heard all day. That's just classic. :)

Actually I would probably say that Eight Legged Freaks is slightly better than Men in Black II. Maybe not quite, but they are both quite close. MIB2 was a major disappointment, given the first, and Eight Legged Freaks was never meant to be more than a 3 star movie anyway.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2002, 10:30:37 AM
I am sorry Jon the movie looks awful, I will never probably see it it just looks really bad to me, and I know nobody who wants to go see or who thinks the movie looks good and I suspect the movie to really bomb, it might not even make the top 5.

JMK
Jul 19th, 2002, 01:26:51 PM
If it makes any real money at all, it will be from people who like to look at car crashes on the highway. They know its a terrible thing, but somehow they're drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

Doc Milo
Jul 19th, 2002, 01:54:39 PM
I don't know, JMK. From the trailers, I've said: "If this is a serious horror film, then it looks awful." But then I thought: If it's akin to Tremors, where they spoof those big monster movies, and if it is funny, it might be worth a look.

I'm not going to go to the movies to see it. I'd rather see Star Wars one last time before it leaves theaters -- if I get the chance to go the movies again this summer -- but I'll probably give it a rent when it hits DVD (What? Late August would you say?) :)

Sanis Prent
Jul 19th, 2002, 03:10:47 PM
I'm definitely going to see it. Looks great, in that Battlefield Earth, train wreck kinda way.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 19th, 2002, 04:55:34 PM
That's one hell of a train wreck

Admiral Lebron
Jul 19th, 2002, 05:32:26 PM
LOL.

JMK
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:54:13 PM
It's got the Arquette idiot in the movie. Nuff said. :)

JonathanLB
Jul 19th, 2002, 07:55:32 PM
I don't know how you could see the trailers and not think it looks like a pretty funny, ridiculous movie. OBVIOUSLY it is not serious, and it's not terrible either. It's a good movie, and a really fun spoof. I mean, if you really thought it was serious from watching the trailer, you must be blind :cool

Oh well, you're the one missing out. It's a fun film. Still, you're all better off seeing AOTC again and not a silly spoof :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:38:46 PM
It just looks stupid to me, sure I liked Tremors but that was a more serious film somewhat, and the creatures were more creative and looked better, giant Spiders has been done too many times, plus the cast looks awful, Arquette is okay but cannot carry a film, and that actress from Sliders stinks, she ruined that show (that alone makes me not want to see it) and there is nobody else in the cast worth to mention. The movie just doesn't appeal to me for those reasons. Also as far as the box office, Tremors was mentioned well that movie did nothing at the box office (it became a huge hit on video and a cult classic) I see a similar trend for this one though I don't think it will be as big as Tremors on video.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:49:24 PM
Tremors is great. Best part is when the one barges into the guys house who has all the guns. Anyways, Eight Legged Freaks looks bad. Really bad.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:59:03 PM
Well 8 Legged Freaks did worse on Thusday 1.2 to finish in 7th, if it finishes below Lilo and stitch you know it must be pretty bad.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 19th, 2002, 11:38:00 PM
I have high hopes for it in the B.O contest as I am sure it really stinks!

FLMKR4EB
Jul 20th, 2002, 07:35:02 AM
This movie was made to SPOOF those really cheesy yet fun Saturday evening monster movies like Muscle Men from Mars, and Attack of the Fifty Foot Spider, type thing. Its just supposed to be extremely cheesy, and it is. But it doesn't do anything for me. I believe the CGI is poor intentionally, just like the SFX of those old B movies was terrible. The script is over written intentionally, everything is intentional cheese. I thought it looked good like LB said, the trailer made me smile and made me want to see it, but alas, it didn't work for me. It was horrid, not scary, to damn silly. I would have liked it if it would have been a creep-out-gorefest with ravenous giant spiders, instead it was a saturday morning cartoon.

Movies can just be fun, I tried saying that like 100 times before.