PDA

View Full Version : To Prove Your Words - Wei Wu Wei

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:45:26 AM
Dawn had just started to make its presence known. Right above the jungle tree line, the first rays of sunshine had started to brighten this side of Yavin.

Navaria could feel the coldness of the night being melted away upon her back and replaced with a gentle warmth that was growing slowly. She sat kneeling on the mat in one of the training rooms of the Academy, waiting for her Padawan to arrive. She had shed her heavy outer cloak, wearing her tan robes and black pants. On her belt, dangling off her right side, was Navaria's sabre.

Her palms were perfectly centered on her upper legs and only barely moved because of the Jedi's breathing.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 17th, 2002, 08:33:30 PM
Wei Wu Wei walked into the training room to find his new master in a sort of kneeling position. She seemed to be relaxed and did not want to disturb her, but he called out to her anyway.

"Master Navaria? I'm here like you asked me to be , ma'am."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 17th, 2002, 08:39:07 PM
"You aren't troubling me, Wei."

She said, her eyes still closed and her voiced relaxed.

"Please come join me and sit."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 17th, 2002, 08:50:45 PM
"Yes, ma'am."

Wu Wei walked over to where she was and sat in an Indian style position.

"What are you going to teach me today, Master?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:34:52 PM
She opened her eyes and smiled.

"Patience. Will get to that soon enough. First I want to get to know you better first.

I know you said that you never had used the Force willingly, that you always fought as if you had it. Tell me, what is it like for you when you fight an opponent. I want to know your feelings and how you feel."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:48:07 PM
Wu Wei looked at his hand, used on to push up his glasses and ran the other one through his hair.

"Well, when I fight an opponent, everything else kind of...disappears, I guess. It's just me and him usually, sometimes a her, but I try not to fight women. My mother taught me not to fight women if I could help it."

He shook his head and tried to stay on the subject. Gosh, but it was hard to explain.

"Well, he disappears too, sort of. My opponent becomes an enemy. And that is how I think of him. Or her. I just focus on disabling them so that we can stop fighting and talk. My dad told me tha t if my opponenet is too beaten to talk after I fought, then I fought wrongly. then there was the whole "life at risk" exception. I remember most fights when I used my martial arts to last for only a few seconds."

"When fighting, I focus on one thing: making sure no one gets hurt. It sounds like it's impossible, but it's not that hard to wear someone out. I hope I answered your questoin well enough, Master."

Wu Wei finally looked up and made eye contact with his master.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 18th, 2002, 09:12:09 AM
"I can tell you now that in being a Jedi... you will have to face women in time for many evil Sith are indeed female."

She gave him a reassuring smile.

"But that will be for the future. They way you describe fighting. It does sound like the Force is guiding you somewhat but in a very subtle manner. A Jedi opens up all their senses to the Force until it is them, the Force and whatever deed they are trying to accomplish.

How about this. You've studied the Martial Arts. This should be easy ... Relax and go into a meditative trance. Then I can start showing you the Force but one needs to be at peace. Calm. All conscious thoughts push aside until it is just ... you. One mind and one body."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 18th, 2002, 02:35:41 PM
Wu Wei nodded his head and straightened his back. he took slow, deep breahts that filled his lungs enitrly, relaxing every fiber of his being. Silence embraced him like a mother cradling her baby. Then, nothing.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 18th, 2002, 09:25:33 PM
"Now. I want you to think of something that brings you great calm. A memory. A thought. An object. Anything at all. Let that be your entire focus."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 19th, 2002, 08:43:12 PM
Wei remembered a time where he had been resting in a large hammock with a girl that he had dated. The birds sang and a soft breeze blew. It was so relaxing. He had been at total peace. But that was before the girl had moved to another planet. but still, it was a nice memory.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:38:11 PM
"Now ... just remember what that feeling of peace was to you. That and only that. Let the rest of the memory slip away until that perfect sensation of calm takes over your body.

You'll know when it happens. It's different for everyone the first time they feel the Force ... Saying anything more will ruin the experience for you or taint what it is you feel."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 19th, 2002, 09:52:40 PM
Wei made a small, low noise and slowly released the memory. He maintained the feeling of relaxation and peace. It made him feel sleepy, but his senses were still alert. Quite suddenly, he could see things all around him. People walking by the room he was training in, birds taking wing outside. It didn;t stop with the physical. Time itself seemed to mix together and blurred Wei's sensation of past and present. Wei slowly opened his eyes and looked at his master.

"I must say, I am impressed with this. Is this the Force?"

Wei's voice was calm, serene. His vision and hearing, everything seemed to increase at least tenfold.

"Wow."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:40:00 AM
Wei took his first steps into a much larger world.

"Yes. You felt only a brief glimpse of the power that is within the Force. It is infinite in its wisdom and takes much concentration and focus to be able to control it.

Control is essential. Without it, a Jedi cannot fully understand the potential within them and could be possibly lured in by the Dark Side of the Force.

Our emotions are what define our reality as well as our motives behind each of our actions. With pure intent, calm and trust in our instincts within the Force ... the Light will guide us.

Fear, agression, anger and hatred ... Those are the emotions that will bring out the Dark Side within you."

Navaria paused finally, trying to think of the best way for Wei to understand. Then it came to her.

"Think of it like negative chi ... perhaps that will help clarify since you are a Martial Artist."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 21st, 2002, 11:56:26 AM
Wei could feel a happy laughter bubble up inside him. He held it back long enough to speak.

"Well, it's hard to hate. I just can't see how anyone can hate anybody. I just can't see it. And I don;t want to see it either."

Wei remembered travelling acros the planet and meeting many different people of many different cultures. Wei liked them all, and they liked him.

His mother had told him to keep an open mind and always try to understand other people's points of view. he had grown up his whole life like that, and nobosy had ever had any problems with him.

Wei laughed. "The light side of the Force is tickly. It makes me feel good."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 21st, 2002, 05:37:51 PM
"For some people, they did not have the best of lives as you may have. Such intense feelings come easily for those and with time and understanding, the Jedi teach them to control such emotions and use positive energy for the greater good."

Navaria couldn't help but reflect Wei's good nature and his naivety of feeling the Force for the first time.

"I think that is the first time I have ever heard the Force described like that."

She nodded.

"I like it. Now ... go back to your grounded state, but this time ... instead of trying to feel the Force, try and embrace its power and picture it coming into you."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 21st, 2002, 09:59:54 PM
Wei recalled the memory of the hammock. Once again he released the memory and returned to his grounded state. He did as his Master told him and visualized the force coming to him.

"Master? Umm...what do you mean by 'embrace?' Is ther eany way I can tell when I have achieved what you are asking, or is it one of those things where I just know?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 21st, 2002, 10:03:33 PM
"To embrace the Force is picturing the energy flow into you. It's what we call, channeling. Without channeling for Force, you cannot learn anything else.

Your body will become tingly ... You senses even heightened further then they were before... Only feeling for the Force. Sometimes, while channeling the power, your talents will come out. Hearing surface thoughts of others, levitating objects, seeing visions of the future or past ... Anything is possible."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 21st, 2002, 10:20:04 PM
Wei nodded and resumed his grounded state. He felt the energy channel into him and opened his eyes. He sure felt stronger and more aware. he wondered what he could do with this energy.

"Master Navaria, this is more amazing that what I felt before."

Remaining in his sitting position, Wei practiced his blocking systems. He moved so much faster than before. His arms seemed to be blurs. He repeated his blocking systems again, and then looked at his master.

"Well, I sure am fast. What else can i do with this new power?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:45:53 PM
Navaria grinned to herself. She knew she shouldn't but sometimes that odd playful streak come across now-a-days.

"A great many things."

All of a sudden, Wei lifted into the air without warning.

"It's just a matter of concentration and control within the Force. A must is knowing your boundaries and limitations. Certain asepcts of using the Force come easier."

Wei began to slowly turn upside down.

"And for other aspects, it is hard or sometimes near impossible. It comes to no surprise that you are able to use your abilities to naturally increase your strength and speed."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:41:20 PM
Wei laughed as he floated in the air and was turned upside down. His long ponytail hung down and just barely touched the floor.

"This is fun! My turn to try."

Wei focused and tried to lift Navaria. He managed to lift her up a few inces before setting her back down again.

"I'll work on that later."

Wei was having fun.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 07:57:01 PM
Navaria's face became quite stern.

"Do not attempt such things without my explicit instructions. Fortunately for you, I have indeed such control and can lift you while being distracted by you.

Another may not be so disciplined."

Wei turned right side up and Navaria set him down.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:01:23 PM
Wei looked hurt.

"Sorry master. I won't do it again."

Wei's first thoughts were right. Jedi training was alot more intense. That, and it lacked the friendly atmosphere that had been present when his grandfather taught him. He would have to control himself better in the future.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:07:38 PM
Navaria sensed Wei's feelings shift suddenly. Standing up, she walked over to her Padawan and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Do not take my seriousness like that. Realize that I am this way because I do not want to see anything happen to you. Your training is a culmination of a great many things. When you leave the safety of the Academy, I have to know I trained you well."

She cupped his chin so their eyes met.

"So ... doesn't mean we can't have fun ... In that instance, wasn't proper."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:10:29 PM
Wei smiled weakly.

"Yes, ma'am."

Wei blinked a few times.

"Does this mean that lessons are over for today?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:14:35 PM
"No of course not...."

Navaria laced her fingers together and walked a few feet backwards from Wei. She stretched them outwards and then went into a defensive stance. Her feet were actually close together. One hand was tucked tightly against her body and the other was facing Wei, palms outwards.

"... lets end it with a bit of exercise."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:28:36 PM
Wei smiled and stood up. This would be fun.

"Yay! I been sittin down all day. This will make for a nice change."

Wei set his feet apart in a wide stance. He crossed his arms in front of him, turning his palms out to face his master.

"Ladies first."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:33:04 PM
Navaria quirked a brow.

"Ladies first?"

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:42:37 PM
"Yes ma'am. My mother told me once, 'you can learn your martial arts from that no-good father of mine, but I tel you if you ever fight a lady, you let her draw first blood, do you hear me?' And naturally, like a good on, I agreed."

Wei loved his mother and always knew well enough to do as she told him even when she wasn't around.

"I'm not moving an inch unless you go first."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:48:31 PM
"That is fine but the answer should be you let me go first because a Jedi fights no one unless provoked or needs to. Woman or no woman."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:52:16 PM
"Yes, ma'am."

Wei smiled at his teacher. He would be sure to never forget what she taught him. Wei decided that he liked his teacher.

"Either way, you should still go first."

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:13:17 PM
Navaria bowed and then hoped forward with a sideways kick to Wei's face. Right now, she wasn't relying on the Force. Navaria was a good fighter in her own right and wished to assess Wei in a regular spar.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:21:56 PM
Wei moved his hands up and caught her foot in the cradle his crossed arms made. He took his arms out from under her leg, uncrossed them, grabbed her calf again, and pulled her forward, trying to unbalance her.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 22nd, 2002, 09:27:49 PM
With another hop forward, Navaria stayed balanced quite gracefully. It was only a matter of shifted her hips properly and positioning her foot in the right place....

... and with the next hop, Navaria jumped in the air and spun her body. Navaria's leg came around clockwise and her foot connected right on Wei's right cheek.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:09:42 AM
Wei yielded to the kick, turning his face to the left. It made having to take the kick hurt worse. Some attacks just couldn't be stopped. Wei released Navaria's foot and let her continue her rotation and drove his knee into her stomach.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:32:08 PM
Navaria flexed her stomach and rolled with the impact by diving forward. She suffered somewhat from the hit, but it could have been a lot worse.

Since she was on the ground, it provided her with a good vantage point behind behind Wei.

A fighter cannot stand without feet and Navaria sweeped her Padawan's legs out from under him, forcing him to the ground.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:31:10 PM
Wei's back hit the ground, but he soon rebounded to his feet.

"Hmmm.."

Wei changed his mind and backflipped over his teacher so that he could better see her.

"Yep, that's better."

Wei did a swift downward knife hand strike at Navaria's throat.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:37:25 PM
This caused Navaria's eyes to narrow, obviously not happy with Wei's course of action.

Navaria side-stepped and snatched his arm with both hands. Wrapping her leg around his, Navaria brought Wei down to the ground hard and pinned him their with her all her weight and then some. She let the Force flow through her veins to increase her strength.

"Why were you going for that move? This is a spar, not a deathmatch. A knife hand strike like that could kill someone. What if you were going against a Padawan that could not defend himself properly. Explain, Wei."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:50:49 PM
Wei blinked.

"I know it's a spar. But Grandpa always told me to spar like it was real, but to still know the difference. I was going to stop short if you didn't move. Grandpa says that if I don't practice like it is the real thing, then I won't be able to defend myself or others when the real thing happens. Sorry."

Wei stood back up and assumed his fighting stance again.

"Do you want to stop?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2002, 08:56:23 PM
Navaria stood up as well after letting Wei up, straightening her robes.

"It is not only that, Wei. Going for a killing strike so early on? Incapacitate, knock-out, forcing an appendage to not work... That is what is tried first. Not a killing blow like that. If it needs to come to that then yes, you must do what is necessary.

There is more to restraint then being able to pull a punch in a spar."

She smiled.

"Do you understand?"

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:39:05 PM
"Yes, ma'am."

Wei had heard it all before from his grandpa, but he hadn't heard his grandpa's lectures for a while.

"I will try harder to remember."

Wei returned her smile with one of his own.

"Shall we continue?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2002, 09:42:03 PM
"Good."

Navaria stepped back and relaxed her arms. One out before her and the other behind her squared body that was facing sideways to Wei.

That was the only answer she gave besides the nod she gave her Padawan.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:16:26 PM
Wei decided that his master was the coolest. He smiled and laughed.

"Ok! This will be fun!"

Wei charged her, tucked his arms close to his body, and twisted around until he faced her back.

"Did you know that a well placed attack to the neck can paralyze? An exposed neck is more vulnerable than you think."

He brought his fist down in a hammer blow to the base of her neck, but stopped before he could touch her.

"Nevermind."

Wei kicked at the insides of her knee, making her fall.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:18:47 PM
So the student wanted to be the teacher. Navaria laughed inwardly and made sure to take her legs and wrapped them around Wei's so he to fell down to the ground with her.

Kicking upwards, Navaria rolled forward and got to a standing postion once more, watchful for her Padawan's next attack.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:26:14 PM
"You're good."

Wei smiled. He was getting a wonderful work out. It was almost like sparring Grandpa, except that it took Grandpa less to knock Wei down.

"You got me again. Gosh, and here I thought that there were not many Jedi around that were good at barehanded contests. I thought it was all lightsabers."

Wei got up and shuffled his feet. Wei kicked, but it was not a kick meant to hurt. Most of Wei's kicks were used to push the opponent away, and he wanted Navaria to go away so he could regroup. He placed his foot on her stomach and shoved her backwards.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:33:36 PM
Navaria parried and dodged most of the kicks that came at her. Wei got lucky with a foot and she was pushed backwards, providing some distance between then two.

"My skills in hand to hand, as well as lightsabre combat, come unique to me. Most seem to underestimate my capacity in a fight."

Pivoting with her foot, the Knight leapt into the air with two kicks coming down at Wei, who had ample time to dodge. Navaria was testing his reflexes.

Now that Wei was on defensive, moved it with decisive punches that were focused on his chest, trying to knock the wind out of lungs.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 23rd, 2002, 10:40:10 PM
Wei stepped back to avoid the kicks and smiled when she punched. Wei moved and grabbed her wrist as she punched. Then he took her wrist in both handsand turned so that her arm was under his armpit. Then he took her hand in both of his and pressed in on her wrist and on the back of her hand, openin it and applied pressure. It was a basic maneuver, designed to make people drop a knife or a gun. It also workd on unarmed opponents.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:57:28 AM
Her lips twitched in pain but there was no way Navaria was going to give up that easily.

Since Wei had to turn his back on Navaria to do this move, with her free hand, the Knight covered his eyes and pulled him backwards and kneed him hard in the kidneys.

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 24th, 2002, 11:45:52 AM
The move caught Wei by surprise. The wrist-flex move always immobilized his opponents. He must not have applied enough pressure, or something. but then again, she was a Jedi.

Wei released her. He took a knee and put a hand on his back where she had hit him.

"Master, it seems that there is a lot to learn. I I'm not used to spars lasting so long. They never lasted more than a few seconds. This one is lasting a while. Is fighting Sith take this long?"

Wei was getting to be exhausted. One thing was for sure, he would have to become better at controlling the force if he wanted to stand a chance.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 24th, 2002, 06:03:52 PM
Navaria stopped immediately, returning into her normal stance of lacing her fingers together and resting them on top of her leather belt. Her breathing was a bit labored but who's wouldn't after jumping around the room?

"Sometimes they can last longer, Wei. A lot longer. You have the endurance to face normal opponents but it needs to be stronger. Also, you will learn how to focus not on the pain but focus on the Force to clear your mind and ignore the pain.

It will help in many a fight."

She stepped forward and motioned towards the door.

"I think we had enough for today. Tomorrow I'll teach you some of the ways we can use the Force to aid us in a fight. Right now, you need food and rest."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 24th, 2002, 08:25:01 PM
Wei didn't really want to take a break, but his master knew best.

"Yes, ma'am."

Wei gave Navaria a courtesy bow before leaving.

"I can hardly wait for my next lesson."

Wei felt more excited than he looked.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 25th, 2002, 08:56:24 AM
Navaria had to admit the boy was quite enthusiastic. It would serve him well.

"Considering you will be quite sore tomorrow, the lessons will have another purpose as well."

She returned the bow.

"If there are no questions for me, then that is all. You are dismissed, Wei."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 28th, 2002, 11:29:12 PM
Wei stopped. Questions? He knew he had at least one.

"Well...umm...Master, what are the Sith like? I mean, how do they act and such as that?"

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 29th, 2002, 06:20:21 PM
It looked as if Wei's way of relaxing would be to talk. That was fine and Navaria escorted him out of the training room and down the hall, heading towards the Living Quarters.

"What are the Sith like? That is a difficult question to answer since each Sith acts differently. It is true, they leeched the Force of its power through anger, hatred, fear, and agression. The Dark Side is what harbors those feelings.

They are lost souls that have been swallowed by their emotions. Lashing out at everything they do not understand, or do not wish to understand. The Dark Side is the quick and easy path towards power. Power consumes their souls and eventually, they become slaves to the very power they wish to control.

It is why we Jedi must learn to control our feelings and our ablities by working in harmony with the Force."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 29th, 2002, 08:40:34 PM
Wei nodded thoughtfully.

"Thanks, Master. Now for my next question. When is my next lesson?"

Wei wanted to be sure so that he could make sure to be prepared.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 29th, 2002, 08:43:57 PM
"Tomorrow after breakfast. Outside in front of the Academy. Wear some light clothing."

Wei Wu Wei
Jul 30th, 2002, 11:44:49 AM
Wei nodded. "I'll be there ma;am!"