PDA

View Full Version : Pop Up Adverts on TV

Shawn
Jul 16th, 2002, 01:29:52 PM
Posted by Hemos on Monday July 15, @07:45PM
from the what-a-terrible-idea dept.

Muddie writes "The Atlanta Journal-Constitution is reporting that television execs and advertising agencies think product placement and the 30 second commercial spot are not getting the respect they deserves from us consumers, so in order to combat us ignoring them, there will be pop-up ads taking up the lower quarter of your screen during normal programming. Not only that, but the ads will run during relevant portions of the programming (see a guy shaving in the mirror, get a pop-up ad from a razor company). Do "They" think we just don't see enough advertising in a day? If you aren't busy throwing things through your television yet, you can read the article over here (with no pop-up ads)."From Slashdot. (slashdot.org/)

Chase Starwalker
Jul 16th, 2002, 01:47:43 PM
omg....no...that is the dumbest thing i've ever heard, makes me angry!!

Lady Vader
Jul 16th, 2002, 02:00:12 PM
WTF?!?!?!?!

As if they can't make us any MORE miserable with countless commercials!!! :x

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 02:11:25 PM
The only good ones are the beer ones and the shaving ones.

Darth Viscera
Jul 16th, 2002, 02:13:40 PM
That pisses me off.

Taylor Millard
Jul 16th, 2002, 03:10:37 PM
Just means I'll be listening to the radio even more and more. And eventually people'll get used to 'em so it won't matter. Ya'd think advertising sponsers (Drew Carey using Gilette Shaving Gel, Seinfeld drinking a Coke) would be enough.

Ah well.

I'll give it to 'em. Those ad execs are thinking pretty smart.

Shawn
Jul 16th, 2002, 04:09:19 PM
Pretty smart? If I see a pop up ad for something on the internet, it just makes me go out of my way to either A) Ignore the ad or B) Avoid the product being advertised.

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2002, 04:15:16 PM
I dont care for ads unless I actually needed the product

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 04:58:38 PM
Thank God I refuse to even own a TV.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:54:35 PM
Then how do you watch DVDs?

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:57:25 PM
PC I presume

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:20:49 PM
No. You only watch them on PC as a last reserve. They are a thousand times better on a 61 inch TV w/Dolby Digital surround sound.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:31:49 PM
PC hooked up to a projector, wired to the Stereo as well. I dont seem to miss a TV at all for some reason

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:36:28 PM
Oh, Okay thats cool. As long as its not on the screen.

Darth Viscera
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:41:41 PM
How much did the projector run you?

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:42:26 PM
Nothing. I fixed it when it was tossed out

Darth Viscera
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:46:13 PM
saved yourself the better part of 10 grand?

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:51:53 PM
Pretty much. It aint the best, but it does 1000 lumens and 1024*768 pretty well

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 16th, 2002, 08:01:46 PM
I'm not even going to moan about this one as the sheer ruthlessness of capitalism never ceases to reach new levels of idiocy, it honestly doesn't suprise me.

Live Wire
Jul 16th, 2002, 09:40:42 PM
evil....absolutely evil

Kar'h'tzen Shaed
Jul 16th, 2002, 09:43:21 PM
I hate people.

Now I get to hate TV, too!

Actually, I already do. Cartoons are the best shows on earth at the moment, and have been for way too long. Hurrah for movies, though, as that is all I will ever watch if pop up ads get onto my dam' television.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 16th, 2002, 09:46:20 PM
Hopefully if such a curse does come upon us, it will only infest the regular (what are now) commercial bearing channels. I watch almost zero commercialized TV shows. Long live HBO, Showtime, Starz, Encore, TMC, and Cinemax. :D

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 16th, 2002, 10:45:31 PM
I don't even watch regular television channels. In the states it is nightmarish, every program falls under three categories such as ... silly sitcoms that can't make me laugh or even make me smile, teeny-bopper drama/suspense series, and sensationalized news programs. Aweful! Aweful! Aweful! The only reason I do not shoot my TV is because I watch science, history, sports, and nature channels plus the cable channels such as listed by SWFans on my DirecTV. Broadcast television is nothing but trash these days!

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 10:51:40 PM
Simpsons,Jeporday, Star Trek, 7 Days, Malcom in the Middle, King of the Hil, and SU2(On a good day)l are the only good shows left on broadcast.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 11:11:19 PM
The best thing on TV is my pot plant

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 16th, 2002, 11:21:23 PM
Um yeah! :smokin lol

Shawn
Jul 17th, 2002, 12:08:17 AM
Hopefully if such a curse does come upon usI've talked to several people who have confirmed that they've already seen this. :| Glad I haven't watched TV in years. I either download the shows I like, or rent them when they come out on DVD.
The best thing on TV is my pot plantDid you, by any chance, mean potted plant? I mean, I take it the other option would be legal in Australia, but still... never pictured you for the type, Marcus.

Live Wire
Jul 17th, 2002, 12:34:42 AM
Originally posted by Marcus Q'Dunn
The best thing on TV is my pot plant

you know that just made things a whole lot clearer. :p It explains a lot.

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 17th, 2002, 12:46:51 AM
:lol @ Marcus

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 17th, 2002, 12:50:11 AM
Did you, by any chance, mean potted plant? I mean, I take it the other option would be legal in Australia, but still... never pictured you for the type, Marcus.

No it aint a wacky weed plant, its a nice fern :)

In some states in Australia, personal cultivation is legal - max five plants I think. Dont know cause I ain't touching that stuff with ..... well anything.

Jen
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:55:04 AM
Is this going to be a worldwide thing ? :|

Taylor Millard
Jul 17th, 2002, 08:48:37 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
Pretty smart? If I see a pop up ad for something on the internet, it just makes me go out of my way to either A) Ignore the ad or B) Avoid the product being advertised.

I do that too when it comes to pop up ads. But it depends on how the ad agencies go about putting them on shows. If it's a rolling screen at the bottom then that's dumb and I'll ignore it. But if they've got a 'good way' at doing it, then I'll be okay with it.

Just the ad guy in me thinking.

Oriadin
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:10:20 AM
If they want people to take notice of thier adverts, they should make them entertaining!!!

Its simple really. Everyone talks about good adverts, oh have you seen such and such it was really funny etc. The budweizer ones for example. People even email those to their mates!! If people dont pay any attention to programs they dont like, they sure as hell aint gonna sit paying attention to a load of dumb adverts that annoy everyone!

This idea is just stupid and uncalled for. No one wants to see Adverts during watching something. I personally dont mind advert breaks as it brings the TV lisense down and gives you the chance to go to the toilet or get something to eat.

Want us to watch? Give us something interesting to see then!

Taylor Millard
Jul 17th, 2002, 11:57:45 AM
Which is why I think they are going towards the 'pop up ads'. If the show you're watching whether it be wrestling, Star Trek, Drew Carey, Friends, Dharma and Greg, or what not...people'll see the ads and go "Oh...okay...I'm gonna go get it."

Remember people are gullible. They'll buy anything.

Khan Surak
Jul 17th, 2002, 12:11:51 PM
i.e., "Pet Rocks". >_<

Taylor Millard
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:04:04 PM
Exactly. Or Beanie Babies.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:08:12 PM
Americans are stupid. I finally witnessed it firsthand in the movies on saturday. The One ad, where the guy is looking for his camera and he finds it in the hands of some girls and hes like its mine. And they go searching through the pics(its a digital) and the girls eyes go wide and he's like, "it's only a hobby!" Well, two obese americans behind me said "I don't get it." and they meant it!

Taylor Millard
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:12:40 PM
Not just Americans people in general are gullible and stupid. Anyway, that's besides the point.

They're starting to show ads at the movie theaters now...I guess Pop Up Ads in TV Shows are soon to come...

BUT...

When we see a character open a can which says "Coca-Cola" isn't that a pop-up ad? (no pun intended)

Khan Surak
Jul 17th, 2002, 02:32:02 PM
A person is smart.

A group of people are dumb. That's why we have leaders. Sorta.

Jehova Eaven
Jul 17th, 2002, 03:07:55 PM
No no no. You have it all wrong. All the people on the planet are stupid. You, me, everyone. Thats why I hate people, if I have to deal with stupidity then I've rather just deal with my own. Now then.... back to my business.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 17th, 2002, 04:01:29 PM
Speak for yourself, I'm just an insane genius.

Oh, remember that Marketing people dont see reality the way we see it. For them, this is GOOD THING. For us, that means we have to put up with stupid ads

Jubei SaDherat Vader
Jul 18th, 2002, 03:00:55 AM
I'm a marketing major...and you know what...its the sheep that are going to make my career. Not the rapidly-shrinking intellectual sector. Hell, if you're a smart guy, you're not gonna buy into a single ad anywhere, no matter how its done.

To be pragmatic and blunt, its a game of attrition, played out in dollars. A moron's dollar is just as good to me as yours.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:27:55 AM
A moron's dollar is usually better, cause it' s easier parted

Sanis Prent
Jul 18th, 2002, 09:34:06 AM
Both dollars will buy me the same stuff, so they're just fine for me.

ReaperFett
Jul 18th, 2002, 09:43:30 AM
Will my morons Pound Sterling do you? :)

Sanis Prent
Jul 18th, 2002, 10:33:48 AM
Sure thing...lemme just get my conversion table :)