PDA

View Full Version : For hopeful filmmakers:

JMK
Jul 15th, 2002, 07:46:46 PM
Incase you don't check it out for yourselves, this came from SW.com as today's Jedi Council question. I don't know if you guys knew this or not, but thought it couldn't do any harm. :)

Q:I'm just graduating high school. What should I do if I want to become a movie producer?
Make movies.

A:Go out and buy an Apple iMac. Get Final Cut Pro and a video camera. Get every friend who's ever written... or learn how to write. Try to make your own movies to learn how bad you really are. The more you learn about how bad you are, the more you'll be able to help a director. And just get your friends and start your own little company and start making movies.

Don't fall in to the trap of working on a film, because that's not going to help you become a better producer. Making films makes you a better producer.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 15th, 2002, 08:31:37 PM
Camcorder+Buff + Bea = #1 rental of the year ;)

JMK
Jul 15th, 2002, 08:56:59 PM
Camcorder+Buff + Bea / Population of the World = Bea's sex appeal.

And that's being generous.

CMJ
Jul 15th, 2002, 09:14:08 PM
Eh, this wannabe fiilmmaker has been on set since 7AM...got off around 8pm. You gotta love those kinda hours. ;)

More fun tommorrow. :p

BUFFJEDI
Jul 15th, 2002, 09:17:44 PM
Camcorder+Buff + Bea / Population of the World = Bea's sex appeal.

as soon as I find out what country Canada is in , Your in trouble young man:headbash

just think of it this way CMJ, one day you will be calling the shot's.and making all the big doe :)it will all pay out in the end.

JMK
Jul 15th, 2002, 09:18:03 PM
Are you having fun for real? If so then I envy you. I wish I could spend 13 hrs at work and have fun!

Admiral Lebron
Jul 15th, 2002, 09:20:18 PM
I am gonna direct a film one day. . . I just need money to buy certain hardware.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 15th, 2002, 09:29:22 PM
I look at it this way IF you are doing something you love It can't be work.I have had job's that I hated and made very good money, and quit on the other hand had job's I loved but made Crap and Hated leaving them.

Admiral Don't give up on yyour dreams. there is nothing you Can't do (well other than being Buff as me ;) ) I have done EVERY thing but 2 things I have set out to do in life. I may not have doen them Long BUT I did them.And two of the 3 I'm working on right now.

1. law degree(yeah scarey I know) I can barely spell my name lo_O

2. I want to be the first man/woman to bench press over 500 lbs and be able to run a 4 min mile.It has been sadi to be impossible:\

But anyway. My point is (two hours later) Don't let anything stand in your way i.e...money.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 15th, 2002, 09:39:01 PM
In other words, the advice for hopeful filmmakers is.... MAKE FILMS!

Duh

;)

JonathanLB
Jul 15th, 2002, 11:58:17 PM
"And just get your friends and start your own little company and start making movies."

That's exactly what my friends and I do, and I can write, hehe, so that answer fits perfectly!

Of course, I do not agree with the product endorsement. Sorry, but anyone knows that Adobe Premiere 6.0 is a more powerful program than Final Cut Pro. FCP is an easier to use program, no doubt about it, MUCH easier, but the power of Adobe is obvious once you read the manual, figure out how to use the more complicated commands, and get by the initial shock of having WAY too much stuff to use and look at.

Plus I have the best digital camcorder money can buy for an individual (not like Lucas's $100K digital ones)... Now if only my best friend had more time to make movies! :( Less time with his girlfriend and work, more time with movies, lol.

Also, I'd probably get a Mac JUST for computer use if I really had a ton of money myself, but fact is, I do not have much money at all. I have no personal spending money. I have just the money I spend on gas and theatrical viewings, not some $2,000 to $3,000 for a fully loaded computer capable of graphics. I cannot buy TWO computers, that's what I'm saying.

Macs are lousy computers. They really do suck hard, BUT for graphics they are extraordinary. Any professional in the film industry would say that Macs are a great tool for video editing; they really picked that niche and stuck with it and have made machines that handle it extremely well. But I use my computer for everything, which includes gaming occassionally, and Macs are awful computers for gamers. They have 10 times fewer games (I read a study that says it is almost exactly 10 times fewer) and the games usually come out later, plus I don't like their programs as much as I like Microsoft programs (as idiotic as Windows can be, I still prefer it), and plus, any computer that comes standard with ONE button on its mouse is pretty stupid. I don't want a kiddie toy, I want a REAL computer, i.e. a PC.

So if I had the money, I'd get a great PC (this one is... good, but flawed), then I'd also get a Mac JUST for video editing because they are great at that. But now, no money for that, I'd rather spend my money on a budget and just use this computer. Plus, I have a nice setup here...

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 12:08:34 AM
Even better, dont worry about Final Cut, wait till Adobe releases Premier for OS X. Oh and stuff the IMAC, why not a G4? Of course all th Intel guys would point out a decent Athlon setup would scream, but Apples are better for non-linear editing, usage wise and Adobe does optimise their products for Macs.

Mac's are not bad computers, they certainly now have a really nice OS and a G4 is pretty damn good. Course if your a gamers, they would suck, but I dont play games. For video and graphics, Apple rule.

JonathanLB
Jul 16th, 2002, 02:24:27 AM
"For video and graphics, Apple rule."

Yes, it's their specialty.

Still, 90% of computer users use PCs, which pretty much dominate the market. I'm a PC guy. I have never owned and will never, ever own a Mac. Just not interested. I hated their computers back when I was in grade school. Inferior, useless machines back then. They got so much better, while Windows didn't get much better, lol, but I still prefer PCs. Of course, each has its strengths.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 02:44:33 AM
Most software that is availible tends to be better in Apple form, if it exists. The OS X version of MS Office is absolutly sweet as. In fact, Microsoft produces some incredibly good software for Apple. It really seems like they must just plain try harder cause they know Apple zealots will do anthing to be rid of MS..... so Microsoft just plain dies it's best to attract em..

I wish sometimes some of that super sweet Office would get into the Windows version. Even IE for Apple is better

CMJ
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:33:22 AM
JMK I'm having fun. This set especially is really laid back, and the people are cool. The crew is really skeletal on this baby. I'm basically the Best Boy(which is a step up from what I have been doing, which is a bit of everything) on this film and the gaffer freaking loves me(told me he rarely works with people as attentive as I am), which is kinda funny, and cool. :)

JMK
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:53:11 AM
Glad to hear it! CMJ, It must be great to go to work and not have it feel like work! :)

When I was in school, I had totally gotten used to mac and was getting rusty with the PC. But I haven't touched a mac since then and couldn't remember how to work it if I tried. For my last semester we got brand new G4's which was awesome. I sat in class and watched DVD's all day. They were great computers though...except for that damn mouse. That was the most god-awful tool ever!

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:14:58 AM
Rule one of Apple computers - get the standard mouse and throw it as far and as hard as you can away then get a Microsoft Intellimouse. I truly failt o understand why the hell they persist with such a universally despised mouse.

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:21:01 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2002/20020712l.gif
Not entirely relevent, but I smiled :)

JMK
Jul 16th, 2002, 08:03:33 AM
So did I. I like to make of people like that...

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 10:03:32 AM
Actually, my birthday is coming up soon(in 5 months...) so I can probably talk my dad into getting me the necessary software(which'll cost a buttload.) And getting a firewire for a digital camera ain't that much. So I can be spitting out movies by christmas...or in my case channukka!

flagg
Jul 16th, 2002, 03:09:37 PM
Another aspiring filmmaker here.

I can write scripts.
I can borrow digital cameras.
I have access to Final Cut Pro.

Know what I don't have? Actors!
Any idea how to get them, or is it easier just to computer generate them these days? :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 16th, 2002, 04:03:37 PM
There's a few comedic actors around this place :)

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 04:34:35 PM
I am writing a script as we speak. Getting actors shouldn't be tough cause I have many many people who want to be my friend. . . and favors! Although, if any of you guys own a proffesional grade snow-maker, like the ones used on ski slopes, wouldya mind bringing it to VA for a couple of days or weeks? :)

Jedieb
Jul 16th, 2002, 05:09:31 PM
Where in VA is this ground breaking production going to be Lebron? I'll stop by and bring coffee and doughnuts for the cast and crew.

JMK
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:33:24 PM
Donuts??? I'm there!

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 06:49:57 PM
In Prince William County near Manassass. Woodbridge, if ya ever heard of it. "Locals" or Locations as not movie-folk say, are in the woods near my house and possibly this massive construction site. But we need snow. Snow is key.

JMK
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:05:02 PM
Buy as many dehydrated potato flakes as possible. :) Just don't get them wet!

Admiral Lebron
Jul 16th, 2002, 07:06:03 PM
Bah! Too expensive.

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2002, 06:40:27 AM
Lebron...do you have a crew?

JMK
Jul 17th, 2002, 07:17:04 AM
Yeah, too expensive, but you just add water, and presto! Lunch AND dinner for cast and crew!

Admiral Lebron
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:15:49 AM
I have a crew of sorts. I run: camera, director, script, storyline, sound effects, special effects. My friend is the second camera man and special effects. We have one roadie(sp?). My friend(as listed above) helps me with sets, props, & costumes. And lastly my dad said he'll help with CGI. So yeah. I gotta crew.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 17th, 2002, 05:13:49 PM
Dude , whats the film about?? what leads do you need?? and how much are you paying??;) J/k

No really how far are you away from Charlotte NC?? If you are looking for an actor's that fit this type give me a shout out.

hieght 6'2

wieght 217 :(No fat :)

eyes br

hair black/brown

Btw will work for free and help out for a few day's

Admiral Lebron
Jul 17th, 2002, 05:41:20 PM
You might be to big. LOL. I'm about 5 or 6 hours from Charlotte I think. How fast do you move?

BUFFJEDI
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:02:56 PM
I'm about 1 hour from charlotte so about 4 from you (I would guess)

If you decide you can use someone of my STATURE:lol :lol do let me know, for real.
I MIGHT be able to round up a head shot for the fun of it.I really do enjoy working on low budget(no offense) films/projects. It's alot less stress than working on higher budget films/shows (as If I would kknow :x ) you can be yourself and really put something into it.

anywho as far as moving fast depends on what you mean. me personally speed wise ,fast

like driving to get soemwhere moderate ;)

can you tell I'm desperate to get back into Some sort of limelight no matter how small:| :|

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:07:54 PM
Damn Lebron, talk about a skeletal crew. ;) Do you have any lighting equipment at your disposal?

BUFFJEDI
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:14:50 PM
Hey, CMJ I did A student film at the school of the Art's one time and the lighting was two lamps(no shade's ) a sun reflector and a flash lightO_o . the lighting ACTually turned out decent, but than agian I do not know all the tech. things involved or what to look for.

CMJ
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:17:32 PM
Hey man...the less money you have the more creative you gotta be. :)

A flashlight???? Man you must be a lighting God. ;)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:23:28 PM
No,no it was them I was just an actor(sorry about the confusion) now In every student film I did , I helped out anyway I could BUT I just did what they said

they used the flashlight in a bedroom scene I had with two other ladies :D

But the bad thing about that was I was playing a gay man :(

Admiral Lebron
Jul 17th, 2002, 09:55:18 PM
Lighting...we have 2 maglites, a flourescant lamp, a coleman flashlight, maybe some lamps for interior shots.

Buff, I need someone fast and agile, as since I feel like seeing what I can do with fight scenes thats just about all the movie will be. A hunt. An Alien hunt. lol..talk about B movies. :lol

JMK
Jul 17th, 2002, 10:11:41 PM
Why not contact Michael Jackson? He's still relatively quick and agile, wanted to play an alien, and---the clincher---he looks like an alien, so you wouldn't have to fashion an alien costume!

Admiral Lebron
Jul 17th, 2002, 10:31:47 PM
LOL. Nah. I gots no need for pedo's in my movies.

JMK
Jul 17th, 2002, 10:37:24 PM
Point taken. :)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:17:24 PM
BY Admiral:
Buff, I need someone fast and agile, as since I feel like seeing what I can do with fight scenes thats just about all the movie will be. A hunt. An Alien hunt. lol..talk about B movies:

Dude where do I sign up :) ALWAY"s wanted to so a good fighting scene (as bad guy) course alway's wanted it as a jedi :(

FLMKR4EB
Jul 18th, 2002, 04:35:28 PM
All the films I've worked on have been cutting on Final Cut Pro. I love Final Cut. But there is a lot more to producing than what that stupid remark says. You have to learn about budgeting, schedualing, contracts, well, anything that has to do with paperwork and dealing with people. On small indi films the producer might also be the location manager, location scout, and any number of other jobs. A lot of the shoots I've done have also had to producer as craft services. If you make movie with friends you learn a little about directing and a little about editing. You work on real films you learn set protocal. And thats what is important.

Mu Satach
Jul 18th, 2002, 07:11:07 PM
True there's a lot more to "producing"...

I think anyone who's serious about a career in film knows there's a lot more than what SW.com said. It's just that's the starting point.

but if your a beginner going out and just filming stuff you gain an appreciation for exactly why movie crews work the way they work.

For me I knew about shot lists, storyboards, script girl, scheduling, etc. but after my first shoot where I was just flying by the seat of my pants I know exactly why they are so important.

Plus it's a way to figure out if you really want to do it or not.

As for editing programs... I'm still learning Premier and Final Cut Pro... so I don't have a preference yet. Though as a confirmed PC fanatic, once I start setting up my home studio I'm getting a Mac for the editing.

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2002, 06:04:44 AM
Dude everytime I goto a set I'm a freaking sponge. My goal is to pick every person's brain possible. Yesterday I chilled with the gaffer for HOURS talking about light, the guilds, who he's worked for...the whole nine yards.

To me, that's why it's worth being a PA and having to deal with alot of the low level crap. :)

Mu Satach
Jul 19th, 2002, 07:32:10 PM
ok, I'm officially jealous now.

CMJ
Jul 19th, 2002, 08:35:36 PM
LOL...I didn't even tell you all the guys(and films) the dude worked with. I was impressed.

Not to mention the AD and I were kicking around script idea's and such. He seems like a good connection to have. The script supervisor gave me the name and phone number of a high level reader...so I MIGHT be able to skip alot of the low level reader crap and go straight to the top with one of my scripts.

I can only hope. ;)

Admiral Lebron
Jul 19th, 2002, 11:33:58 PM
Neat. If I ever write a good script, I'ma PM you!

JMK
Jul 20th, 2002, 09:38:42 AM
It's all about networking CMJ! Keep it up!

CMJ
Jul 21st, 2002, 06:37:41 AM
I'm trying, I'm trying. :) Of course being away from the board constantly kinda sucks. It'll be good when we wrap and I can try to get back in the flow. :)

FLMKR4EB
Jul 21st, 2002, 03:22:08 PM
CMJ has the right idea. Best of luck man. Keep it up.

Mu Satach
Jul 22nd, 2002, 02:41:00 PM
true true... :)

JMK
Jul 22nd, 2002, 03:13:16 PM
Man, all this talk about movie making makes me want to get into it too! :x

CMJ
Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:57:03 PM
Eh, it's a SUPER competitive business, that isn't as glamorous as most people think JMK. No need to fret over it.

On a side note...I really enjoy production(otherwise would I really work these kind of hours with little or no pay?), but I think most people don't realize how arduous getting stuff to the screen is. It's not glitzy, that's for sure. ;)

JMK
Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:22:28 AM
I believe you, I picture it as alot of hours spent in dark rooms and ALOT of disagreements!

CMJ
Jul 23rd, 2002, 06:41:45 AM
That's probably editing. ;)

Production is more like long hours in different locations...constantly rearranging lights...waiting for sound to be perfect...hoping the actors don't screw up.... ;)

And of course something usually goes wrong, which is why the first take is rarely successful. :)