PDA

View Full Version : Scariest Films

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:13:19 PM
I'm just curious as to what people would say are the most terrifying films they've ever seen. This doesn't neccessarily mean they have to be horror movies because a people find different things scary and have a whole variety of fears.

I would say my top three scary films would be:

1. The Blair Witch Project
2. Halloween
3. To be named.*

*I need help with this film because I can't remember the name of it. The film starts out with this other film being shown which is interrupted by an emergency broadcast about three asteroids hitting earth simultaneously.

This film from that moment is literally a load of news broadcasts and more asteroids come headed for three of the worlds major cities, they get destroyed, a man and a girl caught near the original collision points are now speaking in a disjointed manner and together their message makes a sentence. At the end of the film Earth is assumed to be wiped out by thousands of asteroids(sent by aliens) and the film ends with thetransmission of the newsbroadcast being terminated and going fuzzy.

If you know the name of this film please tell me, it had a lasting impression on me and thought it was extremely scary but I wouldn't know what to call it, I doubt it's a horror movie.

But in any case, as with all three listed films I find the most terrifying component to scary films is the unseen terror. I know BWP is a love/hate film - I'm one of those who loves it.

What is your opinion?

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:15:17 PM
I think The Birds is the scariest movie I have ever seen. Or tried to see. Still scares me badly.

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:18:36 PM
I loved The Birds: I loved the quiet before the storm places when they would look out the window and see a few perched on a telephone cable or whatever.

Add "The Shining" and "Alien" to my list too. :)

Nupraptor
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:30:52 PM
I can't really think of any film that was genuinely scary. I mean, I absolutely love horror flicks, but they always fail to actually scare.

Still, I did enjoy the Blair Witch Project for it's creativity (some people would call it a lack thereof, but I'd argue otherwise). I think the majority of the people hate it because they were duped into believing the hype. ;)

JonathanLB
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:50:00 PM
The Birds is a great one. What a classic film...

Night of the Living Dead is quite scary, I think. That movie rocks.

I'll just say it before anyone else does: The Exorcist is NOT SCARY!!! It's good, though. I really liked the movie and it's a nice THRILLER but it's not a horror movie at all. It's more humorous than it is scary.

Which leads me to...

"1. The Blair Witch Project"

Possibly one of the best comedies ever made, only unfortunately it was labeled a horror movie, which makes it one of the worst movies ever in its genre. Not only overrated but incredibly hilarious. I couldn't stop laughing through the entire thing as they keep cussing at each other in some of the worst acting I've ever seen in my life. Of course, what do you expect from an indie film like that. You get what you pay for. If you pay $50,000 to make a movie, you're going to get a lousy product most likely. Oh my god, how frightening, people out in a forest swearing at each other and one ugly girl with snot dripping down her nose! I am SO scared! Haha, oh boy...

Is Halloween actually a good movie, or somewhat scary anyway? I have never been scared by a movie, so that's why I ask, but I saw Halloween Resurrection and it was pretty darn lame. Again, a funny movie, not a scary movie.

Nupraptor
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:01:00 PM
Of course, what do you expect from an indie film like that. You get what you pay for. If you pay $50,000 to make a movie, you're going to get a lousy product most likelyI believe "Pi" was made on a similar budget, and I thought it was one of the greatest, most ingenuis films ever made. Your prejudice against Independant films is really disheartening. There's certainly just as many crappy, big-budget films as there are Indy ones.

By comparison, that would be like saying that "only novels over 600 pages are worth reading". Yet, I could point out lots of great short stories that beat the snot out of some overly-long, drawn out novels.

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:02:31 PM
After reading some of the awful feedback from Resurrection - and believe me there was an abundance of it - I will not be going to see it and will not be renting it. For me, I want to believe the Halloween series ends with H20, that was perfect for me.

As for the original. Halloween is a classic - it defined a genre and by saying that really does do it an injustice because the quality of films in the genre is usually appaulling in comparison. This film has very little gore and heaps of sheer psychological terror.

As fot the whole BWP discussion, I wont provide a counter argument because I know you wont change your opinion of it - like I said, The Blair Witch Project is either one of those films you love or one you hate. The final minute of that film is the most terrifying thing I've ever experienced, at least I think it was, I got completely emerged in the film to the extent of it almost being real.

Nupraptor
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:08:48 PM
You want to see a *really* bad horror flick?

I mean, really, really bad? :)

Go rent "The Frightening". It's so bad, you just have to sit back and host your own little Mystery Science Theater.

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:14:18 PM
I can smell the cheddar already. :)

What are people's thoughts on The Shining?

JonathanLB
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:48:26 PM
So you are telling me that if I randomly selected 10 independent films and 10 big-budget blockbusters I'm going to find an equal number of lemons in each batch? Sorry, but you are quite wrong there.

The average big budget blockbuster is at least going to get 2 to 2.5 stars for effects and action alone. It is going to be at least mindless entertainment, which is enough for a 2 star rating easily. The average independent film, and I mean one produced for a fairly inexpensive total, not like AOTC, hehe, is not going to have very good production values at all.

Fact is, most independent movies just SUCK. Then there are a few winners that you don't want to miss, like Donnie Darko, so that is why I sort through the crap to find the cream, hehe.

I thought Cube was great and that was a really cheapo film. So it CAN be done, but it's just very hard.

I don't know why you'd say it is "disheartening." It's just a fact that if you have less money to make a movie you are going to be more strained to come up with an idea that fits within your budget. With a lot of money, you can do anything, i.e. Star Wars type effects. Even if you made a lousy story, if it had effects and action as good as Star Wars, I'd still award it a solid 3 stars if I was entertained by it, like Men in Black 2 for instance.

Your analogy about books is REALLY inaccurate! REALLY inaccurate. Did you think that through before you posted it? The length of a book can only be similarly compared to the length of a movie -- neither one makes a great movie or book. Anyone with skill can write a great book, regardless of whether they have a lot of money or not, so that is not like making movies at all! Find a better analogy if you can, but that one didn't work I think you can probably admit, if you see what I mean about length. I mean obviously I didn't say, "Longer movies are simply better!" No, not at all.

Last year, most of the worst movies I saw were independent films. Let's see, In the Bedroom, Gosford Park, Amelie, Monster's Ball, and Mulholland Drive ALL sucked really, really badly and they were all these stupid independent releases. I never saw a blockbuster as bad as Gosford Park or Amelie in my entire life. Nobody has ever made a worse blockbuster. In fact, I've very rarely ever seen a blockbuster that was worse than 2 stars. Godzilla and Armageddon are two of the worst major blockbusters ever but I'd still give them each two stars, mainly for effects and action, plus the production values are very high, which is part of the rating for any movie. Bad dialogue or not, bad stories or not, they still were well made movies aside from that.

The worst that you can do with $100 million is make a 2 star movie. It's basically impossible to do worse, or at least nobody has ever done it so far. With $50,000, though, you are very lucky if you can make a 2 star movie. I personally doubt I could even make a 1.5 star movie myself with that kind of budget. MAYBE.

Nupraptor
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:59:42 PM
The average big budget blockbuster is at least going to get 2 to 2.5 stars for effects and action alone.Then you're judging movies wrong, IMO. Ooooh... so it has flashy effects... that doesn't stop it from sucking. Special effects are so common place nowadays that they shouldn't even be factored into a rating unless they were amazingly good or atrociously bad.
In the Bedroom, Gosford Park, Amelie, Monster's Ball, and Mulholland Drive ALL sucked really, really badly and they were all these stupid independent releases.I haven't seen Monster's Ball. But given that darn near everyone I talked to *loved* it, I'd say you're a bit off on that one. And I really, really liked Mulholland Drive. Also, I found "How to Kill Your Neighbor's Dog" a decent enough comedy/drama, and "One Hour Photo" looks really promising.

Now, take the number of "Scooby Doo"s or "Halloween Ressurections". Or even "Jackass: the Movie". I'll bet you'll have a hard time finding people who thought their $8 was well-spent on these big-budget movies. Yeah, I'm sure there have been a few crappy Indy films - but, percentage-wise, there's just as many crappy Hollywood flicks.

And my analogy stills stands: Just because there was more to the lengthier novels, doesn't mean that the ones with less meat to them aren't just as good. You can add all the paragraph-long soliloquoys you want - that doesn't make them good. Likewise, adding all the special effects shots you want doesn't make a movie good.

And as far the "all Indy films suck" argument of your's goes - You have to remember: Just because *you* thought it sucked, doesn't mean it did. I hate to let you down, but you are not the end-all, be-all verdict on movies.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:06:56 PM
The last film that really scared me was Silence of the Lambs the entire sequence where Lecter butchered those cops was really scary when I first saw it and the same when Clairce was in Buffalo Bill's house that was some great directing right there, IMO.

JonathanLB
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:10:16 PM
I disagree with that. Great effects are certainly enough for me to call a film decent. Why would I give a movie ZERO stars if it had excellent special effects and a lousy story? I mean, at least I can say, "ooo wow that was neato," even if the film sucks. 2 stars doesn't mean I liked the damn thing, it means I thought it was "decent." It means I felt like I wasted my money seeing it in theaters, but oh well because it wasn't THAT bad.

Scooby Doo is horrible, though, yeah that movie was expensive and got 1 star from me, so there is the exception to the rule.

I guarantee there are 10 times as many lousy independent movies as Hollywood blockbusters. People always complain about Hollywood turning out all of these bad movies, but most of the bad movies I see are from Miramax and the other lousy little indie companies. Hollywood is doing a damn good job. You're going to have some suckage, but I've given an alarming number of 3 star and over reviews this year. I was surprised I even gave Like Mike and Lilo and Stitch 3 stars. Never would have guessed they'd be any good. The only bad ones I gave were 0 to Ya-Ya, 1/2 to Hey Arnold, and 1 to Scooby Doo.

Monster's Ball SUCKED, it doesn't matte what anyone else says. If you like dogfood, that is fine, but I don't have to eat it with you. If you like lousy, crappy movies like Monster's Ball, that's not my problem. My sister and I both hated it because it really sucked.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:55:31 PM
No, Great special effect do NOT make a good movie! It just means it becomes a warmed over crap fest. I would rather have crap effects, but a decent story and decent plot and decent direction anyday over a CG-fest. You have to be kidding me if you think Hollywood is doing a good job, cause most of the truly good films are ones that are outside of the "system", either by independants or directors that are powerful / daring enough to give a finger to the system. Hollywood goes for the lowest common denominator most of the time because it is simply after the Holy Dollar. Nothing more. Do the studios give a bum about the quality? No, they want dollars.

Independants dont have to worry about that, so they make what they want to make. They are the ones willing to push the boundaries and they are the ones taking the chances. I would include Pixar as an Independant, even if they are bankrolled by Disney. Dont blind yourself to those facts. As much as I detest Americal Beauty, I know that such a film would never have come about with Hollywood and I guess it's my personal opinion it blows cause there are a lot of others who dont.

Lord Of The Rings was distributed by... New Line, one of those Indies you are critical with. Okay, so it's funded by AOL, but it is independant in operation. It took a massive risk with Jackson and it could have easily backfired - should have backfired. It was onyl because Jackso is also an Independant that it possibly worked, the Hollywood version would have been horrific. Only Independants or truly powerful figures can buck the system and it is in that up yours at the really good or memeorable films get made.

And you know why Hollywood is scared of Canada and Australia is a film production areas? Cause both places are outside of it's control. And I can tell you, you see more bloody good films come out of Australia than Hollwood. Want me to name a few? The Castle, The Dish, Storm Boy, Babe, Crocodile Dundee, The Matrix to a degree (Hey look, Independants!), hell even STAR WARS:AOTC was made by an Independant and also crewed by majority Aussies.

Here is a FACT about scary movies. You can create the most effective scare by atmosphere than you can with CG. One takes real skill. The other just takes computer power. I am certain Hitchcock would have seen CG exactly for what it is - a tool in the much larger toolset of a director. Which is currently being abused and should be restrained.

Chance
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:10:34 PM
Personal Experiences in horror flicks, which i adore majorly, I would say the ones to frighten me the most would be:

Hellraiser(all)
Chucky(all)

Those two are the only two which I can really say scared the shiznit out of me..

Fright on Elm Street comes close, so does Jason and Blair Witch.. (Personal note on that, Blair witch 2 just made me confused as hell..)

Nupraptor
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:15:46 PM
If you're going to mention New Line, might I add that "Life as a House" was easily one of the best of the year.
Monster's Ball SUCKED, it doesn't matte what anyone else saysWell, let's see... it currently has a 7.7/10 on www.imdb.com. And when I was working at Blockbuster, nearly every customer there raved about it to me. Oh, but wait... because you thought it sucked, I guess it must be true.

Ever thought that your opinion might be in the minority for once? Oh wait... your sister agreed with you. :rolleyes

You can say "I thought it sucked". But to use it as a basis for your argument that all Indy films suck is outright ridiculous, given the number of people who liked it. That would be like me saying "Hollywood films suck... just look Austin Powers!". Yeah, I hate AP... but many people love it.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:22:55 PM
Monsters Ball really doesn't interest me, and I have a couple of friends that hated it but its not the kind of film that I would watch. I do want to see In the Bedroom but that to me looks like a better movie.

Jyanis Scorpion
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:24:17 PM
Trying my best to stay on subject here, I saw Alien mentioned, and thought I'd spread the news. There's a rumour flying around about an Alien 5 (or Alien 4, since I try to ignore Alien: Resurrection), fueled a bit by a quote from Sigourney Weaver.

I have people coming up to me on the street talking to me about when is the next one, I’ve actually spoken to Ridley Scott a number of times. He would like to do (movie number) five and I have to say that because its six months away from home, I have very mixed feelings about it. I don’t know. Maybe that will change. You know if I can physically perform her task, or have a very good stuntwoman, I love what happened to Ripley. I love playing an alien.

Which means crossed fingers for yours truly.

There was even a leak from Fox about an Aliens Versus Predator movie, but that got tossed. I guess it works out. Each series deserves its video games, but when it goes the other way around it usually leads to disaster.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:27:03 PM
Actually Fox is going to do Alien vs Predator they are currently looking for a director, I think it was originally a comic book, I think the movie could be cool if its done right.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:27:29 PM
1. The Blair Witch Project Now you are SOOOO !!!! have the right to your opinion, but that was/is the worst movie let alone Horror movie ever made.

now they did a GREAT job hyping it. It made what 140 mil, BUT had they not tried to make the public think it was TRUE it would have pulled in about 5 mil (and that's being nice.) After the first 5 min I was MAD/felt STUPID and it was obviuos that it was bogus. That is the ONLY time I have ever went and demanded my money back. BTW I got my money back :) but than agian I like GREASE so what do I know :x

but as for scarey movies???there are non. I fear nothing BUT

alligators/croc's/sharks etc....

a loaded gun to my head .

loosing my hair/looks/ build

pictures of myself o_O

austin powers 3 :eek

but as far as the BEST horror.IMO

halloween 4

halloween 5

halloween 2

halloween

jaws

halloween 6

fridayday 13th 4

salems lot

and alot of cheesy hammer films :)

Nupraptor
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:31:25 PM
I fear nothing BUT

alligators/croc's/sharks etc.... Don't go see the Crocodile Hunter movie. :)

Jyanis Scorpion
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:42:06 PM
Seriously? No foolin? Well it must've been on the ropes for a while then, but I'll pray for a decent picture. I know there was a CGI movie that got cancelled halfway through model creation.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:45:12 PM
Don't go see the Crocodile Hunter movie. :lol

No worries there mate;)

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:55:58 PM
The scariest movies I have ever seen in order are...

1. The Shining
2. The Excorcist
3. Psycho (BW original, Hitchkock does know how to make movies. Scary only in a creepy, atmospheric sense)

Tianje Xhu
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:04:12 PM
scariest movies, eh? this is tough:

Jaws: i was 19 when i saw it and it scared the bejesus outta me. i watched half of the movie with one hand over my eyes and my then boyfriend/now husband wouldnt let me leave. "i payed $6 dollars for us to see this and youre going to stay!" i didnt sleep upstairs in my room that night due to the a/c duct being out of whack. instead i crashed on the couch in the living room which is downstairs. it took me a while to go to sleep but i woke up later needing to go to the bathroom and can you beleive that i was so scared by this movie that i was afraid a shark would eat me while i was going (literally running) down the hallway?? you have to remember that this was one of the first "eat'em up" movies to come out with the "new technology". (the first one who guesses my age correctly gets a free bbq dinner cooked by the middle class white boy :D )

Trilogy Of Terror: i was maybe 15 when i first saw this one. it was three short movies but all linked together by the same actress, karen black. i cant remember what the first two shorts were but it was the third one that scared me. she had received a small "doll" from a friend who had gone on an expedition somewhere deep in africa. the doll itself had the spirit of a fierce warrior inside, retained only by a charmed silver chain belt around its' waist. naturally, the belt came off, the doll came to life but kept out of sight through most of the film until towards the end when it was openly chasing her and shouting african curses at her. i can still hear the patter of its little feet racing across the linolium floor.

Friday The 13th: the scene where mrs. voorhees skewered that guy with an arrow from beneath his bed? that night after getting home from the movies (wasnt married yet), i slept in the guest bedroom because it had a trundle bed, with the extra matress underneath. i knew no one could get me with an arrow or anything else in that way. i also slept with a pair of scissors, a bible and the light on......for 4 nights.

do scarey movies scare me? Naaaaaahhhhhhh :)

BUFFJEDI
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:08:41 PM
45 46 or 47 ???

FLMKR4EB
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:15:54 PM
The Exorsist
and although not scary now, TROLL scared the bajeezusout of me as a kid.
Oh, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, that scared me.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:24:22 PM
Oh, and Texas Chainsaw Massacre, that scared me.

you know, I never thought that movie was scary, BUT it sure is a creepy, make you not want to travel a lone highway in tx by yourself kind of movie, that's foresure.that's one wierd film a true horror classic. I have always heard it was Based on SOME truth:eek

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:36:13 PM
About Alien vs Predator. Yep, that is what I read on Coming Attractions, of course it could fall through again who knows I think they are trying to get it done, I would love to see it come off.

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:51:03 PM
Personally there is no such thing as a truly scary movie but the three I listed are IMHO the closest thing near it. Texas Chainsaw Massacre did not scare me, it disturbed me. Alot. And yes Tobe Hooper (director?) based his movie off the true life serial Killer, Ed Gein. Yeeeeccchhhh!

Taataani Meorrrei
Jul 14th, 2002, 12:24:23 AM
Blair Witch Project pissed me off. Those morons deserved to die. How the hell do you get lost in MARYLAND!

GO EAST!

You either:

A. Find civilization

or

B. Find Atlantic Ocean

Not that freakin hard...but NOOOO!!! Everybody's a frikkin drama queen.

JonathanLB
Jul 14th, 2002, 02:51:09 AM
Hahahaha, nice. :)

JonathanLB
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:03:43 AM
Buff is right, BWP sucks so hard. It's one of the worst movies ever made in the horror genre. Terrible. Great marketing, that is all. The film sucks.

"because you thought it sucked, I guess it must be true."

Wow, you catch on quick! Yup, you're right. I thought it sucked, therefore it did. My opinion counts for 99% of everything and you all count for 1%, well, that's a little generous, but I'm in a giving mood today i guess you could say. ;)

See I am sorry but I just don't think movies are scary. Jaws is a GREAT film, a total classic, but scary? No.

I don't know, I've really never been scared by a single movie ever. They are just movies. It's like a movie making you cry. I mean, a movie is a movie, it doesn't make me cry. lol. Actually that's not really true. One time I paid $8 to see Godzilla 2000 and I was freakin' crying my eyes out after I got finished seeing it. "*sniff sniff*, I wasted $8 seeing THAT?! *sob sob* NOOO!!!" Hehe, but other than that, no. I usually just tell myself, "Oh boy, here we go, the movie is trying to incite emotion, whooo wow I'm impressed. NOT!" *yawn* I'm not into the tear jerkers.

I'm more likely to be frustrated by a chick flick, you know, they always have these perfect endings with this guy getting some hot chick, and I'm like, "Grrr... that's not how it works for me!! Stupid movie..." lol.

Jen
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:02:03 AM
BWP was terrible. The only way that affected me was making me feel a bit queezy after all of the camera movement :|

Psycho scared me quite a bit. Anything with a lot of orchestral music accentuating the scene's works. The Exorcist just makes me laugh, but I suppose that's because back when it was made the line which you needed to cross to scare people was a lot easier reached than it is now :)

Dutchy
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:46:10 AM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
Monster's Ball SUCKED, it doesn't matte what anyone else says. If you like dogfood, that is fine, but I don't have to eat it with you. If you like lousy, crappy movies like Monster's Ball, that's not my problem. My sister and I both hated it because it really sucked.

:lol

I hope you're joking, but I know you're not. :)

Anyway, I nominate The Shining as one of the scariest movies ever.

Quadinaros
Jul 14th, 2002, 06:50:54 AM
I bestow upon you my undefended opinion of the scariest movies I've seen. ;)

Halloween
Psycho
Blair Witch Project
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 14th, 2002, 11:45:38 AM
Originally posted by Dutchy
Anyway, I nominate The Shining as one of the scariest movies ever.

Stanley Kubrik's The Shining indeed is the scariest movie EVER made in american cinema. The build-up of the movie is excellent with Jack Nicholson as a keeper and a former alcoholic hired to maintain a closed hotel situated in the Colorado Rockies along with wife and son. A hotel with a bloody legacy. The score and imagery is topnotch. Acting superb! Great movie to watch with the lights off late at night!

Another movie that used to scare me as a child was the first Amityville Horror movie but watched it recently and it turned out to be real cheesy.

JMK
Jul 14th, 2002, 02:05:07 PM
I saw Deep Star Six when I was 12 and thought I was going to cry. I was petrified. Jaws IS scary, there is something innately scary about deep underwater terror. If you're not frightened, check your pulse, you may be dead. :p

The rest of the horror movies, I'm not that scared because I want the people to die. The characters are so dopey they deserve to be butchered. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:59:51 PM
Reminds me of the Eddie Murphy skit about horror movies - and I have to agree. The people in those movies are DUMB. I would get get the hell out of there and not stop running. If a ghost told me to get out, I would get out.

Figrin D'an
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:06:09 PM
Woohoo, time to fan the flames!

Just kidding... ;)

Okay, scary films...

- The Shining: One of the most purely frightening films I've ever seen. Jack Nicholson at his very best. 'Nuff said.

- The Silence of the Lambs: I am more so messmerized by just how solid the story is and how completely emersive the characters are in this film... but, even though I've seen this film many many times, there are moments that Hannibal Lector still freaks me out.

- Silver Bullet: I first saw this film when I was really young, so that really is what made this film so scary for me. It's a pretty decent story though, with some solid "scare-factor" moments, although the story the film was based upon is much better. (Based upon the Steven King story "The Cycle of the Werewolf.")

- The Birds: Maybe Hitchcock's best film (although my personal favorite is "Vertigo"). A true classic of the genre.

There are more, but that's good for now. Psycho is up there on the list as well. Jaws was pretty scary when I first saw it as a kid.

"The Blair Witch Project" just didn't work for me... maybe part of it was the hype about the film... just wasn't my kind of film, I guess. I understand why many people like it... but, I personally am not a fan.

On a side note, I was scanning through the channels last night, and on one of the classic film channels, was the original "Night of the Living Dead." I pseudo-watched it (ie. it was on in the background as I surfed the boards)... I could see how that could have been a scary film when it was made.

Nupraptor
Jul 14th, 2002, 04:32:25 PM
I love the original "Night of the Living Dead". I think its main scare factor isn't that there's flesh eating zombies. Instead, I think the scary part is being huddled into a little house with nowhere to go. It's like the entire world is against you - Especially in "Day of the Dead". Granted, I thought that was the worst of the three movies, but the idea was sound. "Dawn of the Dead" was my favorite.

JMK
Jul 14th, 2002, 05:28:09 PM
BWP was nothing but a sideshow attraction. It was a victim of its own box office success. People just wanted to see what the fuss was about.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 14th, 2002, 07:05:01 PM
I'll be in the minority here and profess my love for The Blair Witch process, but it mainly has to do with the experience I had. I saw it in NYC when it was still being called a real movie. And that freaked me out. I got lost in the forest behind my house as a kid, and that was scary enough, so seeing BWP just refreshed my memory. I remember friends of mine telling me how scared they were during it and such, but I can see how so many people hate it. It is truely an over rated film, I just love the idea and the execution.

Now that I'm oldr I don't really get scared at movies because I've grown up a little, and I regret that I wish I could get totally freaked out by a movie. Like I think the last time I got really freaked out is gonna sound lame. AS an early teen I saw a film about alien abduction staring Chris Walken, man did theat scare me, and then Fire in the Sky that kind of scared me.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 14th, 2002, 08:32:42 PM
I actually liked TBWP. It was something new and different. I havent seen BWP2, though. I still want to know if they did find anything. Someone want to spoil it for me?

And Buff, youre going to have to narrow it down to one guess. The middle class white guy needs to know whether to fire up his grill or not :)

Jinn Fizz
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:09:11 PM
Scariest Movies....

The Haunting (the original version, not the crappy remake)
Psycho
The Birds
Halloween
Night of the Living Dead (the original version)
The Exorcist
The Omen

I've never been happy with Kubrick's version of The Shining, because The Shining was, and remains to this day, my very favorite Stephen King book. Kubrick's film made too many changes to King's story, which is what makes me so mad. But Jack Nicholson was superb, you'll get no arguments from me on that.

And count me in as someone who was completely unimpressed with The Blair Witch Project. I never saw it in the theaters, but a co-worker loaned me the video tape. I'll admit I got kind of creeped out at points toward the end, but overall, I thought it was way overrated, and personally, I got really tired of the constant profanity in it. :p

JonathanLB
Jul 14th, 2002, 10:22:44 PM
I prefer The Night of the Living Dead color version, not the original. The original... is good, but not as scary or well done I don't think. I still think they are both pretty scary even today, not just "for when it was made" or whatever. In fact, the whole idea is basically that the WHOLE WORLD IS against you, hehe. The entire undead world rises and nobody really survives that. I think the most memorable scene in the color version is where these two people go to get gas for the car, but they grabbed the wrong key or something for the pump, and this black dude is holed in the basement and he sees the key, the fact that they didn't grab it, that is, and he starts laughing hysterically as zombies pound on the door and his candle begins to flicker out and it goes dark, but you still hear him laughing, because he knows and you know he is a dead man, and so is everyone else.

"The Exorcist just makes me laugh, but I suppose that's because back when it was made the line which you needed to cross to scare people was a lot easier reached than it is now"

That's because it IS pretty funny in parts. People must have been really lame back then if they thought that was actually scary. I mean, come on, oh no she pees on the floor, grab a shotgun I'm so scared! NOT. Then she walks down the stairs backwards?! LOL, jesus I watched it opening weekend of its re-issue and everyone was just laughing at that. I gave the movie 3.5 stars; I really enjoyed it and the music is excellent. I still think it's a really good movie, but it's not scary at all! It's hilarious.

Movies are just not scary, so nobody can say, "Well when you grow up, your kids will say the movies you watched as a kid were not scary either." No, they won't, because I have never been scared by a movie. I just don't think they are scary, plain and simple.

Actually, recently, The Others wins my award for being one of the creepiest movies of the last five years or so. Very creepy, great atmosphere, well done film, great plot, Nicole Kidman is a great actress (one of the few, really), and it was just a great film.

Darth Vader
Jul 15th, 2002, 12:24:34 AM
Movies that have scared me, still scare me, or will scare me in the near future:

Troll
It
Tommyknockers
Twilight Zone: The Movie (Airplane scene)
The Thing
The Shining
Arachnophobia
Fire in the Sky
Communion
The Devil's Advocate

And the one thats gonna kill me...

...Signs! :cry :cry :cry

Shawn
Jul 15th, 2002, 04:02:51 AM
Tommyknockers was cool! One of King's best books.

Jyanis Scorpion
Jul 15th, 2002, 12:54:33 PM
Ok, um, odd how this article just appears on CNN after a short discussion about it.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/15/film.alien.reut/index.html

But WOO anyway!

Alec Lafeyette
Jul 21st, 2002, 08:39:30 PM
yeah but look how the director screwed up Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat, dont get your hopes up too high

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 21st, 2002, 08:40:35 PM
but ... I liked those movies :(

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 22nd, 2002, 12:22:13 AM
I LOVED Mortal Kombat!!

I just remembered a movie that although it didnt scare me, sure made me do some thinking as it was based on a rl woman and things that had happened to her. Has anyone else ever seen "The Entity"? To me, the thought of something like that happening and actually being able to "trap" a spirit is wild and awesome!

Shawn
Jul 22nd, 2002, 10:45:28 PM
I know this is going to sounds silly, but... I saw a really mediocre horror movie when I was little called "Brainscan". It didn't really scare me, per se, but I really got caught up in the tension of the movie and was on the edge of my seat.

And I really liked both Mortal Kombat and Resident Evil. :p

Gabran Darkysa
Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:33:54 AM
Oh man, how could I forget two classics from my childhood...

The Other (1972)
Director - Robert Mulligan
This movie is one of the ultimate creep you out movies EVER made set in the 1930's countryside. If you have opportunity and do yourself a favor watch this movie. I would go as so far as to say this is the second most scary movie behind Stanley Kubrik's The Shining. A very taunt psychological suspense story based off Thomas Tryon's novel of the same title.

Race with the Devil (1975)
Director - Jack Starrett
Peter Fonda and friends go out camping in Texas and stumble upon satanists practicing a gruesome ritual. A great film but certainly not scary. Just one of the movies that indeed scared me as a child though.

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 23rd, 2002, 07:30:21 AM
I love to read Stephen King...his writing leaves me on the edge of my seat. Sadly though, nothing that made it to the small or large screen from his works did a rhing to frighten me. My best friend says that "Cujo" still bothers her. The Shining was alright but thats the highest rating I can give any of them. And "It" was laughable. Might have been fair had not King blown it at the end with a giant spider-thing. I dont think Ive ever seen a movie with such a disappointing ending.