PDA

View Full Version : Road to Perdition: A (LONG) Review

FLMKR4EB
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:19:09 PM
Sorry CMJ for not posting in your thread, but I had a lot to say, and will add my other comments to it as it grows. But for now, here is my first attempt at a true movie review, no rhyme intended.

Road To Perdition: A Review

To say that I was highly anticipating this film would definitely be an under statement. Road to Perdition was an obvious choice of mine for the coming Academy Awards, and I hadn?t even seen it when I made that prediction. Going to see it would prove if my judgment was right, or, as it has been many times before, wrong.

?Road To? is an Academy formula perfect film, superficially. Utilizing the talents of Oscar Winners Tom Hanks and Paul Newman to carry the weight of the heavy subject matter, Oscar winning director Sam Mendez caps off this film?s great ingredients. But enough about past winners, did they mix like cereal and milk, or oil and vinegar?

I avoided all reviews and criticism of any kind, and carried to my seat only my own expectations. I had to fight to hold my tongue when, surrounded by elderly women who asked their husbands and or companions ?What did he say?? every other line, then repeated the question when they missed the retort, I eased my way into a film that would leave me speechless for quite sometime. I didn?t even start writing this review until hours afterward. No, it?s the first film in a long time that actually asked me to think it over, to not rush any decisions. The movie spoke to me in many ways and many voices. From a father torn with loyalty to his savior, and the cries of his family. A son rejected by his father, pleading for any sign of love, or twinkle of favor. And a surrogate father engulfed with the love of his loyal follower, but ripped apart by the disappointment of his true son and his duty to care for his own flesh and blood. I can?t fully describe the power behind this movie, other than to say I?ve yet to see a movie like it.

?Road to? bears the burden of following a dark and haunted style. Much of the film takes place at night and is over whelmed by a score that is very reminiscent of The Shawshank Redemption. Brooding and hard, cold to the ear with string instruments, but pulsing like a blood filled heart when tension rides high.

The movie commands great respect by its audience. I don?t think many children; especially teenagers will be able to fathom this movie, its too deep for a mind seeking cheap thrills like those in Triple X, or slapstick type jokes in a typical Teen Comedy. Perdition relies on the strength of its characters, the dialogue, and therefore the actors themselves to carry the film. There is some action, but it isn?t blazing guns for twenty minutes, or slowmo jumping and diving. The realistic gunfights between human beings, not action heroes, are perfect. At times it is stylized, but only so it has a much firmer impact on the mind, using sound, or soundlessness to draw the viewer into the confusion. A brilliant use of weapons is shown; rather I'll say a mature use of weapons. The guns are an underlying evil that keeps each person in fearful respect of one another.

The Tommy Gun?s place in the film is one of true mystique. It doesn?t get viewed until it is absolutely necessary. Even its construction of barrel and stock, handle and magazine is eloquent and ritualistic. Its first appearance is marked only by the audiences understanding of a small handled case.

Perdition has one of the most memorable gun fights/gun downs I?ve ever seen. No spoiler, but the machine gun in the rain is truly beautiful. It encapsulated all the emotions of the movie in one moment and five words.

The acting left me stunned, yet not surprised. With veterans as these vitalizing the screenplay it?s of no shock. I expect to see Hanks make another appearance at the Oscars this February. But more so than Hanks, I expect to see Newman brandishing the golden statue once again. His return to the screen from ?retirement? is captivating, exhilarating, and full of the emotion and presence a master like he is carries in his back pocket. Let me not forget the bold Jude Law, whose charisma alone won me over. It?s quite unfortunate that he wasn?t in the film more, because his lack of screen time will be what holds him back from the nomination. I sure hope the Academy over looks that moot point, and sees the extent in which he became his character. The dinner scene is heart stopping. Something I play in my mind over and over again, because in it we have Hanks and Law square off in such great fashion, its natural, not deep, not nearly as intense as the dinner scene in HEAT, but their personalities matched with their mutual respect is enough to make me long for Law in every scene.

I am a camera freak. I love set ups, lights, and lighting tricks. This movie is so dark, but yet just light enough to find your way. Eye light is perfect when needed, good characters are lit softly in the dark, making them almost glow, and bad guys are shadowed sharply, to hide their sins. This style of the camera work reflected the film?s theme perfectly ? There is a light in the dark, there is hope.

I?ll wind down with my only criticism, my only negative thoughts. For a movie that is around an hour and a half, some moments are drawn out too long. The good thing about this is that it caused me to be very uncomfortable, like the characters, but still, my interest needs to be held. The pacing is just a tad too slow. And the story seemed a little week for me. The commercials dub this movie the greatest crime drama since the Godfather. Well, the Godfather is head and shoulders above Perdition, but that is because it has a more complex plot. Perdition is straightforward, too predictable. I knew the ending long before I should have, and because of that I just waited for the inevitable. The plot to me felt as if it was always building to this point, never catching me in falsehoods, or twists, just a straightforward, wham bam thank you mam type of deal. All I really would have liked is to have been challenged as an audience member, not spoon-fed. Perdition doesn?t take enough risks, its too safe. I?m not as stupid as I appear; give me something to chew on. I see this as the only reason to not totally give the film a perfect score.

To sum it up, I hope to see this film get the nomination, but I don?t think it deserves the award as of yet.

RATING: A

To add some after thoughts, they screened some more awsome Trailers with Road to Perdition, including Gangs of New York, Punch Drunk Love, Moonlight Mile (I think that ws it), and a few others. Punch Drunk look terrific, I'm dying to see it. Moonlight Mile as I belive it was called could garner Hoffman an Academy Award Nod just by the looks of the trailer, and also one for Sarandon. Gangs of New York looks like another film that will get an Oscar Nod, possible Win. I'm really looking forward to that one, well all three of these.

-FLMKR4EB

JonathanLB
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:25:53 PM
Maybe children won't be able to understand it, but I don't ever insult my audience in my reviews. Even if I feel like doing so, like saying something along the lines of, "Only total fools will enjoy Scooby Doo," I still refrain from doing that because I know that some people WILL enjoy the movie and will NOT be happy that I said that. So I just say something, if I have to, like, "Scooby-Doo seems to appeal more to younger audiences because of the blatant fart, poop, and urine jokes." That is just the truth, but it doesn't mean adults can't like it, hehe.

Now you say that teenagers are just looking for something like XXX (It's not "Triple-X"), but I think that is really stereotypical. My best friend and I loved the movie. Do you mean younger teens? Like 13 or 14? Perhaps they would be a bit too young to appreciate a movie like this, but I think anyone who is 16 or over is going to be able to appreciate what a great movie Road to Perdition is. Especially people 18 and above, though, and 18 and 19 year olds are "teenagers," but also adults at the same time. I just don't think it's fair to say that teenagers only are looking for thrills like XXX and not something meaningful like Road to Perdition. I will probably LOVE XXX, but Road to Perdition is still going to be, obviously, the better movie.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:30:09 PM
EDIT

FLMKR4EB
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:31:54 PM
LB,
I really don't care. I was stereotyping based on the fact I have a younger brother of 16 years of age, and I've met his friends. My bro is a decent kid, but would be bored to hell in this movie. If you are offeneded by the fact that many many teens I saw the film with were bored, or didn't go see it in the first place, then tough luck kid. Just as I don't expect a high number of the teenage population to run out to see a Kurasawa film, or any other film that bears subtitles. I'm making a broad generalization. There are always exceptions to rules and stereotypes just as there are always stereotypes, take offence is you wish.

CMJ
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:32:41 PM
Great review man. I personally thought "Road" was better than "Godfather II" and I'm still mulling over if it was better than the original.

I LOVED this movie...Oh my God, I can't stop thinking about it. :)

FLMKR4EB
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:34:36 PM
Thanks, I really tried to "review" it. It was awsome.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:38:58 PM
I am not sure about Gangs of New York I have a feeling it will be a mess of a movie it has been dealayed twice and that is usually never a good thing, it also comes out the same month as TTT which I predict will be a lot better and will probably end up killing Gangs of New York at the box office. As far as Road to Predition, I look foward to seeing it eventually, might be a while as it is not playing in my local theater, and I don't have the time right now to drive to see it, though maybe later on or when it gets put into more theaters. I do admit it does look like a very good movie.

JonathanLB
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:40:49 PM
I don't care what you want to write, my opinion of you is not exactly stratospherically high anyway, notice the sarcasm, so you can write whatever you want. MOST teenagers will probably love Road to Perdition, though.

Maybe your brother is a total dumbass, but he doesn't represent most teenagers. Most would not be bored in the movie but would consider it excellent. Look at the CinemaScore ratings for yourself! Males under 21, females under 21, both groups gave the film an A-, which is just about what I'd give it (I'd give it a low A, though, no A-...). The OLDER audiences did not like it as much, with guys over 35 and females over 35 giving it a B+. So gee, guess who is wrong again? YOU! You can write whatever you want, it only makes you look stupid, which is not my problem.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:43:05 PM
hey Jon that is not very nice, some people around here could say that of you, and believe me I think most teenagers won't like it either, I know some and they would be bored stiff in this kind of film, heck when I was a teenager I wouldn't want to see this kind of movie, maybe you and your friends are just the exception.

ReaperFett
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:46:24 PM
Gangs of NY will be awful, IMO. It's had too many problems, and they want an HOUR cut from it

JonathanLB
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:51:52 PM
I hope Gangs of New York is good... It shows promise, but maybe it'll suck :( That'd be too bad. I just don't know at this point. It could go either way.

Carr, fair enough on one point but MOST teenagers obviously do love Road to Perdition. You people seriously underestimate most teenagers. It's like people have FORGOTTEN that at 16, you are basically capable of the same thoughts as any 30 year old. I mean, in medieval ages 16 was pretty old. It still is an age at which people are interested in all types of movies, not just a few things like "blow 'em up action." It really annoys me when people take this negative attitude about younger people.

At 16, I started reseaching my first book. At 17 I wrote most of it. At 18 I finished it and had an agent, something most people in their entire lives will never do and I was a teenager. Because of stupid, ageist people who do not realize that teenagers can be every bit as intelligent as any adult, though, it makes it much more difficult to be taken seriously. I cannot stand people who have their eyes shut to the fact that most teenagers are very much capable of enjoying the same things as adults.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 03:57:12 PM
But the fact is only the teenagers who are interested in that movie would go to, I bet there are a lot of young people who wouln't go to it because of the trailers and how it looks, I know because I was that age once and I didn't like movies like that then either when you get older and go to college your tastes change and you get tired of the certain type of action flicks. Great example one night I was flipping the channels and I saw Broken Arrow (the newer one) and Crimson Tide on when I was younger I would have watched Broken Arrow but I decided to watch Crimson Tide which I think is a much better movie now than I did when I first saw it.

Nupraptor
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:17:46 PM
For a movie that is around an hour and a half, some moments are drawn out too long.IIRC, It was 2 hours, 9 minutes.
Gangs of NY will be awful, IMO.I tend to agree. When I saw the beginning of the trailer (the people lined up along the street in the tall, blue hats), I couldn't stop laughing. It almost looks like a parody of something.

Jon: I can understand the point you're trying to make. However, it's not entirely true. Teenagers tend to have different mindsets than adults. Heck, that's why we have an entire sub-genre dubbed "Teen Movies". They're meant to appeal to the age-group. That being the case, the type of audience that goes for movies like American Pie 2, XXX and the Fast and the Furious may not *necessarily* like Road to Perdition.

And I'll have to agree with Carr, here: When I was young, I did not like movies such as "Crimson Tide" and "The Hunt for Red October" at all. I thought they were horrid, boring films. Now, I have a little more appreciation for them.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:16:17 PM
I really like Crismon Tide now, I think its the best Sub movie personally Hunt for Red October is close. Still, I haven't seen Das Boot, I need to rent it, I haven't heard anything bad about it, and I am curious how good K-19 will be.

ReaperFett
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:18:29 PM
Red October has one problem for me. THe Scottish Russian. It cracks me up :)

But I would say its like you said, its 2nd behind Crimson Tide (Which Tarantino did work on:))

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:59:20 PM
I am guessing you mean Connery. His accent works most of the time. There is also the Australian Russian (Sam Neill) though his accent is never noticable as Connery's. I like Tide more for two reasons, one the acting chemestry between Washingon and Hackman they were brilliant in that film and for the whole philosophical debate between the two sides. Also if anybody is curious the actor that played Aaragon in the LOTR (Viggo Mortensen) plays one of the main characters and also James Gandolfini (from the Soropanos) is in there too.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 13th, 2002, 10:47:01 PM
LB,
I don't think I'm wrong. I think you're totaly imature and blowing this out of proportion, I read my review once again, and relized I left out the word MOST teenagers. Other than that, I find it in perfect order.

Now, I will forward this with an apology to the other board memebers and the administrators.

LB, you act like a little child. I don't attack your taste in films as it is your own taste and own opinion, but the fact that you attack other members of this fine board is dispicable. I happen to be a rising filmmaker, with more experience in judging audiences because I HAVE done test audiences. And I don't mean I've filled out a card, I've been involved with my own work and the work of others by testing them in front of different ages, sexes, and races. I'm no expert, but I do have an incling of knowledge and experience in the subject, so when I give an opinion as such, I'm basing it on previous experience.

NOW, when you insult my family, that is when I get pissy. I will ask for a formal apology from you sir, because my brother isn't a film buff nor does he care about movies enough to educate himself or defend himself. Just because his taste differs from yours doesn't make hims stupid or wrong. I'm sick of your petty behavior. No one here is wrong or right, its all a matter of opinion. Your foolisheness and ignorance makes you wrong and a crass person to deal with. You know nothing of movies other than your opinion, which is fine, but don't insult people who do know what a C-Stand is, or what blocking is, or even what a basic three point lighting job consists of. I do know these things, and it only helps me to make better judgements on films. I don't fault anyone else for not knowing these things, but you I do, becaus eyou carry on as if you even have the slightest clue what a C-47 is. You don't, you don't even know the basics of human behavior and manners. You take insult from the smallest of places, and rebuke some incredibly intelligent members of the site. You sir are a mockery to films, and knowitall of nothing. Try being friendly in the future, it took you two posts to alienate myself, when all I want to do is be friends, well I did.
You are out of line, and annoying. Apologize immediately, beg for my brother's forgiveness, and I will avoid future contact with you.
You are way to touchy, and to easy to lash out, its such a pity, because it seems we have a simialr view of the film, only you are too dam blind to even notice it. Its pathetic really.

Again, I apologize to the other members, I just can't allow my brother to be insulted, even if this is only a message board. I hope you all understand.

Darth23
Jul 13th, 2002, 11:53:49 PM
Originally posted by JonathanLB
...I cannot stand people who have their eyes shut to the fact that most teenagers are very much capable of enjoying the same things as adults.

Defone IRONY:

Jon sounding like he's ready to start a Civil Rights Movement.

:p

JonathanLB
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:19:10 AM
I have always felt that way. There is and always has been massive descrimination against teenagers and nobody tries to stop it at all. But I'm almost 20, so whatever. Maybe someday, I will be able to help out teenagers who have to face what I had to face, but not for a while.

I will just ignore the post here by Mr. Arrogant Filmmaker. I'm sorry, dude, but every time you post you come across as holier-than-thou and always, "Oh gee I am a film this and that and I know this and that and I saw the movie with the director and... " WHO cares? I don't. Your opinion is definitely no better than mine or anyone else's, lol.

"IIRC, It was 2 hours, 9 minutes."

Umm, nice try, but no it wasn't. It was 1 hour and 51 minutes. Check Fandango even. Where did you get 2h9? Not even close.

A few more things, though. First, I wasn't insulting your brother Filmmaker dude, I was just saying that if he is a dumbass (and I didn't say he was, but I thought you were saying that!), then I can't help him not liking Road to Perdition, but now you say he is not, so obviously I misunderstood what you were saying. All I know is most people my age were very interested in seeing Road to Perdition.

Also, uhh, to another poster (not looking back), there is nothing wrong with loving American Pie 2 and The Fast and the Furious. I think Fast and the Furious was a very good, 3.5 star movie. A great racing film. I love Vin Diesel, always have.

As for American Pie 2, I think it is simply one of the best comedies ever. I'm a huge Seann William Scott fan and I loved the first AP (even after I refused to see it in theaters because I thought it would be too gross). Are they younger-skewing movies? Sure, but that doesn't mean they're not great. Actually my parents, 49 and 60, both loved Road Trip yet it's definitely more of a teen film. I think Road Trip is one of the best comedies ever, even better than AP or AP2. The combination of Scott and Tom Green is just deadly. I also love it when directors are able to make comedies WITHOUT using gross-out humor. I was really disturbed at Scary Movie and Scary Movie 2, plus Not Another Teen movie is quite gross, though I gave it a favorable review (2.5).

I also love comedies such as Office Space, Fletch, Fletch Lives, Mrs. Doubtfire (my #1 favorite), Groundhog Day, Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and a lot of other movies with basically NO gross-out humor. I really respect that a lot more when someone can create a comedy that doesn't rely on gross potty and masturbation jokes. Then again, dang, gotta admit that the American Pie movies and Road Trip are just frickin' hilarious films. I gave them all four stars easily. I love the casts of each film, I love how rewatchable they are, and it's obvious though that they do appeal more to people in my age group. I mean, look at the kids! They are supposed to be basically my age, so people who are 35 to 60 or whatever are generally not going to be into it as much. They'll be like, "Oh boy, hehe, been there done that, don't want to relive college and high school." But still I don't see how you could not laugh.

I don't see why you can't love a movie like American Pie 2 and also love a film like Road to Perdition or L.A. Confidential or The Godfather, etc. I love great comedies like AP2 even if they are ridiculous and disgusting, but I also love intellectually engaging films that really are valuable in the film industry. I mean, it just depends on ones mood.

Nupraptor
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:29:20 AM
Umm, nice try, but no it wasn't. It was 1 hour and 51 minutes. Check Fandango even. Where did you get 2h9? Not even close. First off, I said "IIRC" - "If I recall correctly". There's no need to jump down my throat about it. Plus, I was 18 minutes off - I do, indeed, consider that pretty close. Yes, I was wrong. Arrogant gloating is not necessary.
I will just ignore the post here by Mr. Arrogant FilmmakerPot, Kettle. Kettle, Pot. Play nice now.
Also, uhh, to another poster (not looking back), there is nothing wrong with loving American Pie 2 and The Fast and the Furious.I didn't say there was anything wrong with them. But I said that people who mainly go to see those types of films may not necessarily like Road to Perdition. I even put emphasis on "necessarily".

JonathanLB
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:31:02 AM
Whoa whoa, I am sorry, it was not meant as arrogant gloating dude. Sorry if you took it that way, I didn't mean it like that.

Of your other quote, I'm not a filmmaker, hehe. I'm not even trying to be one yet. Maybe someday, or maybe not, but we'll see. At this point, I'd like to try it out, but no guarantees.

CMJ
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:34:59 PM
Man there was alot of bashing in this thread(close to outright flaming on many sides). I leave for a few days and all hell breaks loose...what is up with THAT people?

:p

FLMKR4EB
Jul 14th, 2002, 03:45:59 PM
I just want peace. Nothing more. I do think you blew this out of proportion. I just slung back. And for the record, I only think I'm better than those who prove me to be. Other than that, I've had a few run ins with fame, but I do know a lot about the filmmaking process cause I do it. Thats all. Whether you like me or not is no consiquencee, I just want to add a filmmakers perspective.