PDA

View Full Version : About New Recruits

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:49:08 PM
Okay, I've been thumbing through the Recruitment Center and realized that we have alot of people wanting to be Jedi. And most of them, as soon as they join, don't do much except maybe pop up once in awhile.

My personal opinion is that we don't accept everybody as a Padawan. We could refuse their admittance nicely, maybe putting in words such as, "The Jedi are honored at your request for wanting to become a Server of the Light at the Order, but currently we are very busy. Our Knights cannot take time off to train you as their Padawan, but keep in mind that there are other places to become a Jedi. May the Force be with you."

I was thinking we could accept those that seemed to have great potentional and those that could RP/write decently.

Just an idea. :)

TheHolo.Net
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:51:23 PM
An open door policy makes for a much more welcome atmosphere is you ask me.

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:06:23 PM
=/

The thing is, though, most Knights don't usually appreciate it when their new apprentices give them a "hard time" by making them have to re-read the post a couple of times to understand what they mean, or when the Padawans just neglect their training.

imported_Lance Stormrider
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:11:25 PM
Hmm that's a bad idea think about the first time you rped? Im sure you werent very good, but you have to give a chance for the new ones to becme better. If we dont do that then why have ppl made this rp? Just for them? I dont think so. We have to give a chance to others to rp too.

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:49:54 PM
No, I believe you are misunderstanding me Lance.

The point of this thread is to discuss whether or not we should accept every single person who wants to become a Jedi. Not to point out certain people, but there ARE some who's posts are ... well ... one or two sentences, with everything jumbled up. I suggest that we only take on those who the the Knights/Masters believe would make a good Padawan.

I'm not talking about the quality of the RPing (although I'm sure most of us here would appreciate it if there was some), I'm mainly trying to point out the stress on our Knights/Masters. They already have a good number of padawans, and so many more come in each day.

Jul 12th, 2002, 02:51:56 PM
Bah! You may be right. But this would only make everything complicated =_=

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:54:22 PM
How ? O_o

Nash Stolar
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:31:38 PM
Hey! my time as a padawan was nothing but horrible RP posts, But I still became an... okay... knight.. :cool

Xazor Elessar
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:10:41 PM
I think that you're making a good point, Salemn.....but I don't agree with it. See, if we turn down people from joining....then if they have friends who actually RP well.....they'll tell them not to even bother because they have no chance. While I am greeting, I get some people who go, "Wow.....and someone told me that it was hard to be accepted here." I don't know where that came from, because we never turn anyone away. If we started doing that, our RP community would be really small....not to mention that some other places where you can train....well, some of our members go there to. If we turn them away from the Jedi, they'll just join the Sith Empire or the Sith Order. I am sure that a good majority of the people that come here are hoping they get accepted....because if they don't, they can just as easily pack their bags and head for TSE or TSO. Think about it....if this was the policy when you came, and the GJO turned you away....you wouldn't feel very good, number one.....and two, we would have missed out on a great RPer! Sure, some of those people are one and two sentancers....but they'll get better! I have seen this first hand! One to two sentance type people can go to one to two paragraph type people in just weeks if the Knights and Masters work with them!

Anywayz......I am ramblind now, but if this was to be voted on or something, I would have to say Nay, because as a greeter/accepter person at the RC.......I wouldn't even know where to begin. What if the poster was tired and only posted a few lines, where in actuality.....they are, let's say......a novelist? It's too difficult to enforce.....they may make another name and come back to be accepted under that name as well! It would create a bad name for the GJO, IMHO........ Okay, no one really has to listen to what I just said.....they are just my opinions and I stated them because this is a discussion. You can completely disagree with me.....or maybe some of my points may open your eyes. :)

Jul 12th, 2002, 04:31:09 PM
Exactly. That's exactly what i was trying to say thank you Xazor I didnt have to type all that crap :p

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:32:29 PM
Xazor, I completely see your point. But some of these people are rejected/banned from TSE/TSO, so they make an excuse that they turned to the Lightside and come here to join. And I'm not fretting over how much somebody writes, it's how they write. I know a few people here who's IP Address was banned from TSE, so they make a new name and then come here. These same people have been RPing for a couple of years, and when you look at their posts ... Well, here's an example:

hi me name "is and I' jedi me like light

Those are basically the sort of people I don't want joining GJO.

Jul 12th, 2002, 04:40:12 PM
~.~......Hmmm I see where your going to...but lol the only way of changing thta would to actually establish some kind of admission system o_O

TheHolo.Net
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:43:47 PM
Taking the good and the bad is better than coming off as snobbish. It does more good to be accepting of people how they are than it does to be selective based on either writing ability or personality. As far as I know GJO has never had any stringent standards for acceptance of a Padawan besides in curtailing any chance of intentional infiltration/information gathering for another group, and I don't believe that GJO should start.

Jul 12th, 2002, 04:47:33 PM
:\ And The Green Guy is right......it's better the way it is

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:56:12 PM
Well, it was just a suggestion. =)

Liam Jinn
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:56:33 PM
SWFans guy is right, there's no reason to start being picky now.

Oriadin
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:58:51 PM
Since Im a padawan and have been here a few months I can see both sides of the story. I had never done any rp before I came here and I think ive got so much better in the short time Ive spent here.

Saying that, I can see exactly where Salemn is comming from. I dont want to try to be someone who pops up out of no where and want to change what so many people have done before me but I think the Padawan situation could be worked better.

What about this for a theory. We could have say two or three teachers. The padawans who only write a few lines, or whos writting skills need a bit more improvments could go into these classes. From there the 'teachers' could give them training but also help them OOC in thier writting skills. After however long it takes the student to become reasonably good, the teacher posts and asks for a Knight/Master to take them on. They are ready to be taken as an apprentice. Those who come in and automatically seem to be pretty good can go straight in and get a Master.

This way can work if its done properly and you get the right people to do the job. Its still keeping in with the Star Wars ways because no one becomes an apprentice straight off. They all start in classes. I dont think we should be turning anyone away if they think they can do it. Some people might just need some help. Dont forget that there are probably some younger writters whos English may not be so good, and then there are people like me who just plain cant spell!!!!

Just an idea to toss around.

TheHolo.Net
Jul 12th, 2002, 04:59:01 PM
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to make the offering of any ideas come off as wrong. Please don't take my comments as any kind of attack or anything, just trying to clarify a point on it.

All ideas are good until proven otherwise. :)

Jul 12th, 2002, 04:59:39 PM
:smokin Ah but we still haven't heard the opinion of the other elders

TheHolo.Net
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:01:26 PM
For the record; I am far from being a GJO elder, but a RP elder, sure. :)

Liam Jinn
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:01:53 PM
I thought that it was the Master's job to help with writing skills and so on as well as training..

TheHolo.Net
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:03:51 PM
In small ways yes. Very few of us are qualified to be English/Grammar instructors.

Jul 12th, 2002, 05:04:08 PM
Well duh you are THE Big Green

Liam Jinn
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:05:42 PM
Things were much more simple 2 years ago..Or maybe it was just less people..

TheHolo.Net
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:07:02 PM
Less people. A lot less.

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 05:55:13 PM
Oriadin has a good point.

Any other suggestions ?

Morgan Evanar
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:29:26 PM
If you want to stick around you will. Some people like Nash got really comfortable with the concept and became solid RPers. Padawans come and go, but some stick around and truly contribute.

You never know which one it will be. As a generallization, the ones who write better are more likely to stay, but there sure have been some exceptions.

Xazor Elessar
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:44:27 PM
Yes, I agree.....you never know which ones will stick around. I have had some really great RPers just up and disappear! :( It's sad to see.....but it happens. I guess you just can't judge a book by its cover.....you have to read until the story reveals itself. :)

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:57:54 PM
:)

Nash Stolar
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:58:10 PM
Originally posted by Morgan Evanar
If you want to stick around you will. Some people like Nash got really comfortable with the concept and became solid RPers. Padawans come and go, but some stick around and truly contribute.

Was that a complement? :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:01:28 PM
a) GJO has deliberatly had an open, warm and welcoming attitude to anyone and that would be a truly bad day if that changed. we accept anyone and the reason is that I have only ever seen one or two people so bloody hopeless that they cant improve or dont want to. The fact is, there have some been some f'king awful roleplayers turn up and they have been given the chance to develop and grow into something pretty good. Fire Hazzard (Who I am certain is around here as a different name) was crap. She grew cause she was given the chance. GJO is a tolerant group and a welcoming group - and an understanding group. Some people just dont have the elite roleplaying skills and English is not a first language.

Hey, my spelling sucks and you should have seen the crap I was writing when I began. And I do mean crap. You average newbie could put a sentance together better than I could and sometimes I am convinced they still can.

I think it's one of the special things about GJO that it will accept anyone and not be critical. We have some hotshot roleplayers in this place and most of them if ythey aint certain will treat you with the ignore button. Which leads me to point two...

b) Im guilty of this for my own reasons as well but.... there is a bit of a sink or swim thing here sometimes with newbies. We can handle them a lot better than we do, although Xaz is doing a superb job, others could help out and teach OOC skills as well.... which is one reason the Helpdesk was opened - so OOC help can be given I suggest using it to give lessons and pointers a bit more. Maybe a guest of the week where a 'Elder' Roleplayer answers questions and gives tips.

That being said, sometimes a newbie can see some of our stuff and get truly intimidated with the length and skill of posts. Even tho I dont do it as much now, it used to be that every post I did was at least 50 lines long. That's scray for a 13 y.o. who can only do the runonsentancewithno punociation or spelsing, becuase they justy dont thave the command over the language.

In summmary, all people are worth being accepted. I have only ever seen two totally luser players and they left eventually of their own accord. The rest should be welcomed, no matter who they are, where they come from. And really, thats been part of our success over the years. Second chances and tolerance is somethign we all should give out :)

/steps off soapbox

Understand where your coming from Salemn, but being picky on recruitment is not something I believe we should be doing. Instead, working with em is a better idea and help them improve.

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:04:24 PM
Okay, okay ... :lol You've got me beat.

But, like I said earlier, it was just a suggestion ! :mneh

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:10:17 PM
Hey, no one is saying dont make suggestions! If you have an idea, feel free to state it and if you have a question, ask it. We are a pretty relaxed lot here after all :)

In fact I'm so relaxed they tried to see if I was in a coma.

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:13:54 PM
Hmm after a nice thinking I finally came up to something......the GJO....is perfect the way it is...we're like a big family here..I mean we're all cool with each other and all it's simply great....you know no other rps are like this one. In the rp I was in we started beeing piccy with the writting style and that's when havoc started it became a war everyone was enemy OOC and ICLY and that's when rp became real stupid and boring. What I mean is if we do this here.....the same thing might happen and all of this rp will simply fall. So the GJO is perfect the way it is one big family :) I love you everyone! :p

Morgan Evanar
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:15:22 PM
And I'm falling asleep at my keyboard. (in response to Marcus' "coma")

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:19:40 PM
--Morgan suddenly hears the crisping noise of a flying object as a giant hammer slams his head--

Salemn Lysce
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:20:55 PM
@_@ -- Backs away from Lance --

Ew ... Is that ... drool ?! MORGAN !

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:24:42 PM
--looks at Salemn-- Where ya going Hun? ;) --runs after her--

Zeke
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:00:49 PM
Why not just stick up a warning or two, like "Use punctuation. Proofread your post BEFORE you slap it up on the forums." That way it retain's Lance's "big happy family" thing with something to keep everyone else from having to translate the new people's posts.

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:03:17 PM
I don't get it. --continues to run after Salemn--

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:27:57 PM
:: Is so relaxed, farts loudly ::

Jul 12th, 2002, 08:39:09 PM
--puts his oxygene mask on-- Maaaaaaan why the hel did you need to do that!!??

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:40:05 PM
Because I can?

:p

Salemn Lysce
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:03:04 AM
O___O

-- Breaks out into a run ? --

Oh my God ... What I have I turned this thread into ...

Jul 13th, 2002, 02:25:17 PM
>D Bwhah Ill catch you lil girl --runs behind her and throws a cookie right in front of her, watches as she slides on it and stumbles on the floor-- :p

Chance
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:36:28 PM
*readys his rubber hammer*
Force hammersmash!
---Thwack!---
*Marcus is now a pankake!*

Salemn Lysce
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:19:33 PM
-_-;

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:40:44 PM
Who slipped something into the water????

Jul 13th, 2002, 05:44:24 PM
Errr.......one thing........... a BIG ?

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 13th, 2002, 05:46:44 PM
A BIG?

Whats a BIG?

Jul 13th, 2002, 06:38:22 PM
Ahem I meant a BIG ------->?

Salemn Lysce
Jul 13th, 2002, 06:43:57 PM
Ew ..

Let's try to keep this clean, okay ? @_@

Jul 13th, 2002, 07:04:27 PM
--drops a bucket of mud on the floor---OOOOooOoOoOops

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 13th, 2002, 07:38:38 PM
Rightio, your cleaning that up Mister.

Jul 13th, 2002, 07:40:13 PM
And who'll make me do that!!??? --looks at Marcus's death stare-- alright alright --runs to take the mop and starts cleaning everything untill it's shiny--

Xazor Elessar
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:30:31 PM
*Slaps Label On Thread*

"Officially.......HIJACKED"

:lol!!!

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:41:46 PM
"It's not my fault! It's not my fault!!"

Xazor Elessar
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:44:53 PM
*Slaps Lable On Marcus's Forehead*

"Officially.........HIJACKED!!!"

:lol!!!!!

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 13th, 2002, 08:49:42 PM
Okay, now do you hijack a character????

Chance
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:02:20 PM
Very easily.

*Puts Marcus's character in a train, proceeds to hijack the train, thus hijacking Marcus's character in the process*

I'll cut out the caffine..