PDA

View Full Version : I'm Crying!!!

FLMKR4EB
Jul 10th, 2002, 08:58:24 PM
::Sniffle::

Call me a sissy, or a weakling, but I'm in tears. I just watched the Natural for the second time, and everytime I see Roy Hobbs hit that that amazing homerun with that amazing score by Academy Award winner Randy Newman, and that amazing cinematography with the sparks falling and all. It just brings me to tears, its soooooooooo dam(n) good!

CMJ
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:01:15 PM
Dude that's an amazing ending. It's one of the best ever IMHO. It's one of Levinson's better movies. :)

On a seperate note...why are there SO MANY great baseball films, but very few in any other sport?

JonathanLB
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:03:47 PM
Because Baseball is SUCH a great sport?!? Wait... no that can't be it.

I'll have to think about it. :)

FLMKR4EB
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:06:41 PM
Well, I love sports flicks. I'm a huge football fanatic. Used to play in High School and everything. I'll list what I consider to be the best sports films, based on each sport that I've seen.

Football
1. The Program
2. Varsity Blues
3. Remeber The Titans
(Haven't Seen Any iven Sundnay)
Baseball
1. The Natural
2. Field of Dreams
3. The Sandlot

Basketball
1. Sunset Park

thats all I can think of now.

CMJ
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:10:32 PM
Football
Remember the Titans
Rudy

Baseball
The Natural
Eight Men Out
Cobb
Field of Dreams
Uhhh I could list 10 more memorable ones

Basketball
Hoosiers

Golf
Caddyshack

Hockey
Mystery, Alaska

Baseball has more than all the others combined...maybe by a multiple of 2.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:13:24 PM
That's the truth.

ReaperFett
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:14:38 PM
You missed the Major Leagues! :)

Figrin D'an
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:17:23 PM
My favorite sports films:

Football: "Brian's Song"

Baseball: "Field of Dreams"

Basketball: Tie between "He Got Game" and "Hoosiers"

Golf: "Caddyshack"

Boxing: "Rocky"

Hockey: "Slap Shot"

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 10th, 2002, 09:43:58 PM
I think Baseball is different for so many reasons, Field of Dreams is a perfect example, to me it is the best baseball film, and baseball is hardly played in it because it shows how baseball transcended the relationship between father and son and that is the real message of the story and perhaps baseball.

JonathanLB
Jul 10th, 2002, 10:05:59 PM
I love Remember the Titans. I think it is probably my all-time favorite sports film. Jerry Maguire is great...

Varsity Blues pretty much sucked. Way too many cliches for me, sorry. I can only tolerate so much high school sappiness, hehe.

EDIT: Yes, Field of Dreams rocks. That is right up there for me too.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:12:07 AM
Varsity Blues is probably the most accurate film about high school fotball. I saw that movie while playing for a championship team and was blow away at how realistic and true to my own experiences the movie was. Not enough people realize that the filmmakers of the amovie knew what it was like to be a confused teenager playing a sport for another person, which is essentially what I did when I played. I played for my parents and coaches, not myself. Took me a long time to realize that I wasn't a football player, I was something else.

darth_mcbain
Jul 11th, 2002, 07:23:24 AM
The Natural --- I love that movie... I used to watch it with my Dad and back then I only thought it was a baseball movie, but it is such a great movie about life in general - I always make it a point to watch that at least once a year...

JMK
Jul 11th, 2002, 10:11:20 AM
Any Given Sunday is my favorite sports movie bar none. Even though I don't like Oliver Stone that much, this movie I find amazing.
I also liked Love & Basketball...for whatever reason. :)

Daiquiri Van-Derveld
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:33:38 PM
Say what you will, but "Rudy" was a fair movie. Youve got to admire someone who wont quit. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 11th, 2002, 02:50:51 PM
Rudy was a tear jerker. Mystery Alaska made me laugh. Field of Dreams is my dad's favorite movie of all time I think.

I agree, baseball movies are so much better than all the others, because of the tradition passed down from father to son..all those years playing catch, etc. etc. I mean, take The Sandlot, for one. That is one of my favorite movies, and its all about baseball.

But baseball is about a lot more than just the game. Its about tradition, and family, and teamwork, and all those warm squishy feelings. :p

*sigh* And A League of Their Own was a great movie too. :D