PDA

View Full Version : FOTR DVD, which one to buy?

Jedieb
Jul 8th, 2002, 07:02:35 PM
I know there's more than one FOTR DVD headed are way soon. I imagine the first one is as basic as it will get. Just how many are we going to see and what are they going to have on them? Naturally I'd like to get the one that has the most to offer, but I don't know if I'd be willing to shell out $50 or more for it.

ReaperFett
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:39:45 PM
theres 3 versions of Lord of the KER-CHINGs I believe, a version with nothing, another version at the same time, and a limited edition.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:46:07 PM
Simple answer -

ALL OF THEM

Jedieb
Jul 8th, 2002, 08:56:16 PM
C'mon Marcus, give me some knowledge! I heard one of these might have more than an hour's worth of material that was left out of the theaterical version. That's the one I want. If the only thing special about the limited edition one is behind the scenes stuff or a booklet of some kind then I'll skip it.

Shawn
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:04:29 PM
The one coming out in November is the one you'll want to buy. It has an extra 40 minutes or so of footage.

Master Yoghurt
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:11:59 PM
I am probably going to wait for the special edition.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:21:41 PM
The November release will be the one to wait for, but I aint going to wait. I'm going to get both,

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:31:49 PM
I am waiting till November to buy it myself, though I will rent it the day it comes out.

Master Yoghurt
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:33:08 PM
Well, yeah, I must admit, it is rather tempting buying the one in august as well. I could perhaps give that one as a gift or something when the november version is out. Waiting another 2 months for one of my all time favorite movies is going to be very difficult indeed..

Figrin D'an
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:35:35 PM
There are two sets coming out in November. There is a Extended Edition Set, 4 discs, with 30 minutes of additional footage added to the film, plus all of the nifty extras (three commentaries, deleted scenes, multiple documentaries, etc). There is also the Special Collector's Edition, which is five discs. This set contains everything that the Extended Edition set has, plus the fifth disc with a National Geographic special about New Zealand and the making of the the films. The collectors set also includes a few packs of the LOTR trading cards, and a set of carved stone bookends with the likeness of the Gates of Argonath (the big massive stone statues along the Great River, near the Three Peaks of Tol Brandir, Amon Lhaw and Amon Hen).

so... the sets are basically the same, except for the Collectors edition having the National Geographic special and the bookends...

I pre-ordered the Extended Edition... don't know if I'll bother with the Collector's edition, since it's pretty much a given that by 2004, there is going to be a big massive Collectors Set for all three films.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:35:46 PM
We're buying the one with 40 extra minutes.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:52:01 AM
I'm still going to et ALL of them

JMK
Jul 9th, 2002, 08:27:31 AM
I may buy the bare bones one in August and then buy the extended edition in November. I'll skip the collector's edition.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:40:04 AM
My family's poor. We're spending hundreds of dollars on movies like "Appocolypse Now Redux" and "Highlander: Immortal Edition" (which is a special 2 disk thingy). Not that I'm complaining, but I'd rather have Fellowship then Appocolypse Now.

ReaperFett
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:04:10 PM
WHen the Trilogy is done, they'll rerelease it with even more extras. WHy bother in the first place? :)

JMK
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:48:24 PM
Because people (like me) can't much longer to see the movie!

ReaperFett
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:25:56 PM
Few years later, you can get the Limited Edition case which features the head of the Tolkien Estate rolling in all the DVD money :)

FLMKR4EB
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:14:48 PM
Wait till Nov. Although both the 2 -Disk SE version in August, and the Limited Edition IN Nov. will hav differing special features that have to do with the respective cuts of the film. Or so says thedigitalbits.com

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:16:15 PM
Actually, he doesn't. The movie rights were sold a long time ago and the Tolkein estate does not get anything..... I think the rights were sold 30 years ago. The reasoning was that Tolkein himself was convinvced no one could possibly make a LOTR movie and didnt consdier the possibility seriously.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:20:14 PM
Oh yeah, the studios screw us again. New 2 DISC versions of several WB movies are debuting in Sept. These include Amadeus, Unforgiven, One Flew Over the Cuckoos's Nest, and True Romance. New features, bonus footage. Sucks I have Cuckoo's Nest.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:21:57 PM
At least Jackson is letting us know in advance how he's goign to take our money :)

FLMKR4EB
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:26:17 PM
yup

ReaperFett
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:33:59 PM
I dont mind rereleases, IF they give a decent span of time. Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, True Romance and Reservoir Dogs are all getting new editions (Think they're all Limited Editions). Difference is, that is a year to a year and a half after initial release, while LOTR is two months. You only have to be slightly out of the loop to not notice.

ReaperFett
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:40:32 PM
BTW, I knew TOlkien signed the rights over, but I couldnt think if the Tolkiens got any money, and Jackson wouldnt make money from the DVDs :)

JMK
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:58:43 PM
I just hope that when studios put out a 2nd "special" edition, they don't ever release a 3rd. Once I can live with. What's next? The studios conveniently find 8 more hours of lost footage and more deleted scenes from the crew interviews? No, one special edition is enough. Unless warning is given, as is the case with LOTR.

ReaperFett
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:14:23 PM
Well the Res Dogs one is the 10 year LE. Pulp/Jackie Brown etc are rectifying the extra-less pap earlier released by the companies scared to put too much in to the DVD market. Now, there isnt so much of an excuse.

JediBoricua
Jul 9th, 2002, 06:22:46 PM
Sadly I'll have to get both....crap.

Well not crap, I'll enjoy both of them and I've heard nothing but wonders about the National Geographic Doc and anyway my dad is paying for the first edition.