View Full Version : Hatebreed: Eyes Wide Open

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 7th, 2002, 01:54:48 PM
<center> “The arrogant build kingdoms made of the different ones,
Breaking them 'til they've become just another crown.”</center>

Fear, coupled with anxiousness and uncertainty, is deadly. To live in suspense, wondering about something, can drive a mind to a point at which it becomes overly analytical and tenacious. Even the most dogmatic men will turn when strife threatens, when fear warns them they shift alliances to forge something more substantial and less daunting. Alternatively, the strong march straight to the gates of the trepidations bastion, break down the doors, and cry Bloody Mary.

Vjun. A place Vega had not visited before. He recalled exactly why now, after landing. The landscape was not one he had become accustomed too, and he’d certainly never been on good terms with those who called the arid sphere their home. To be frank, his being he reeked of the term ‘trap’, yet his own arrogance reassured him of his ability to work his way out of anything. In the end, this was only ‘scheduled’ to be a duel. Granted, he had no conception of his opponent’s skill level, or previous experiences on the terrain which they would do battle …
Van-Derveld boots clicked against the stone underfoot as he walked, eyes scanning the area. Four days he’d waited, and now he was here.

Ready.

Waiting.

Maester Wargrave
Jul 7th, 2002, 02:04:28 PM
"Ah Mister Van Derveld," a voice came from the gate as the tall man materialized. His black cloaked made him almost invisible against the black of Bast Castle's iron gates.

Although lava bubbled at the surface of VJun, the air itself was rather mild. The man was not a meterologist, nor did he care to be.

Maester Wargrave stood, leaning against the gates of VJun.

"Answer this question and the gates might open. Why are you here?"

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 7th, 2002, 02:22:02 PM
“Two reasons.”

Vega took a few steps forward, to get a better look at Wargrave in the shadows.

“The first being I was summoned here to fight, apparently. The second, to satisfy my curiosity as to what the end of this chase you are leading me on will be.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 7th, 2002, 03:08:33 PM
"Are you certain you are here to fight Mister Van Derveld? Perhaps I have called you here for another reason."

He kept himself in the shadows, "Perhaps you are here because you want to be here. Has your curiosity gotten the best of you now? Have you decided what you want in the galaxy yet?"

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:33:27 AM
He canted his head as he stared into the darkness which veiled Wargrave.

“I want what I have always wanted – to be feared, obeyed and martyred by the galaxies,” he replied slowly.

Maester Wargrave
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:24:43 PM
"Martyred? Why choose those terms?" Wargrave slowly unclipped his saber from his belt.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:26:00 PM
A thin smile appeared on his lips.

“Why not? It fits what I see myself coming.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 8th, 2002, 02:34:28 PM
"I have discovered, in my years of being alive," the lightsaber was now unhooked, but Wargrave remained motionless, "If one wishes to die, he will find a way.

"Do you wish to die Mister Van Derveld?"

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 09:34:06 AM
“I have no such aspiration, infact I intend to avoid such a fate for as long as possible,”

As he had done previously, on Balmorra, he thumbed Seraphim idly in anticipation of anything.

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:28:43 AM
"Are you willing to follow the objectives given to you? Are you willing to pledge your life in service to us? Are you willing to obey the code given to you?"

Wargrave leaned forward, exposing himself to Vega for the first time, "Tell me quickly, Mister Van Derveld...my next action depends on your answer."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:44:40 AM
Vega in turn pressed on forward, grinning at the thought of what Wargrave was implying.

“Indeed I am.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:50:32 AM
Rather eager now are we?

Wargrave smiled, remembering his own attempt to enter The Black Hand, "Are you willing to keep your anger in check, but use it to fuel your power? Are you willing to not give into it, but use it as a tool?

"And are you willing to perhaps fight your old comrades in The Sith Empire?"

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 10:55:44 AM
“Have I not already stated that my anger does not control me, I control it?” Vega said with a smirk.

“As for my former comrades, if they are obstacles in my path then they will be dealt with accordingly.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:22:59 AM
"And the Jedi? Are you willing to not use your lightsaber first and ask questions later. There may be times you must go to their locale. Can we trust you to not kill them upon sight?"

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:26:34 AM
“I am not so bull-headed that I kill anything on sight, I can assure you. I do have some composure.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:03:07 PM
A woman stepped out of the shadows, her eyes flashing sparks as she did. Her pink hair clashed with the whiteness of her skin. She wore purple and Vega could smell flowers on her body.

"Would you kill me too?" Gitane Van Derveld asked, standing near Vega.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 12:09:20 PM
Vega quirked one eyebrow at the figure that bore such a striking resemblance to Gitane.

“… If duty called for me to. I know how much you devalue your own life after having died once before – infact I imagine it would be a sweet release,” Vega chimed righteously.

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:39:34 PM
Another figure walked out from behind Wargrave, white dress trailing as it did. Brown/black hair came down to her shoulders and she was nymph-like in looks. Black eyes stared at Vega, and she had the air of haughtiness and anger.

"What of me, Vega? Would you kill your master?" It was Dara Shadowtide.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:45:39 PM
His head became bowed on instinct for a brief moment before he rose back up to regard ‘Dara’.

“… No.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:48:26 PM
"You fool!" 'Dara' laughed as she looked at Vega, "Why not? You are no longer Sith. I am! If you join this group you will become an enemy to us. An enemy!"

Her hand raised up, then came across Vega with a slap.

"You're pitiful."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 01:50:43 PM
He grit his teeth, speaking through them in a hiss.

“I may no longer consider myself a Sith but I have swore myself loyalty to you and would not turn back on it. To hell with the Empire, I say, but I will not renounce my allegiance to my Master.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:00:22 PM
Another slap to the face.

"You swear your allegiance to them. To The Black Hand and we are enemies! They have traitors to both the Empire and elsewhere in their midst. How will you function with them?"

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:07:16 PM
A sigh passed his lips.

“Easily. I have known others who have considered themselves part of both the Empire and the Hand.”

A pause.

“I know that you would not disown me as an apprentice, and would support any endeavors I might seek out,” he added in a murmur.

Maester Wargrave
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:30:54 PM
"But the Empire would disown you," a gravely voice came from behind Vega.

Wargrave had only encountered Rama Sha once, while at the Festival of the Five Moons. But Wargrave had gone under his real name then, and now...Rama would not recognize him.

"You have failed yourself by even considering joining this group. But then you have allready failed us, by leaving. You fail and you know it. We know it.

"And we will not stand for it, any more.

"Come, Mistress Shadowtide, there's nothing for us now."

With a final slap to his blond face, the two Sith Empire members turned to leave.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 10th, 2002, 06:10:49 AM
“It is you who failed in seeing what was always in front of you; you who neglected to take note of the true Master within the ranks,”

Vega spoke with a sense of regality, though his words were laced with venom as he spoke to the retreating figures of Rama – the clown – and his Master.

“Go back to your little Empire, plan your little invasion. When the apocalypse comes, we shall see who triumphs.”

Maester Wargrave
Jul 10th, 2002, 05:27:41 PM
"It won't be you," Rama turned, "I assure you of that. Go, join this group for all I care. You will not be welcomed back."

He stormed up to Vega, "You join this motley crew and I will personally kill you."

"No," Dara's voice came from behind, "I will kill you. You are a bastard Vega Van Derveld. Never return."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 11th, 2002, 01:42:45 AM
Vega straight up stiffly, leant towards Rama, and grinned.

“Try it.”

He had always seen Rama as nothing more than a joker, and when it came to fighting believed he could easily wipe the floor with the painted-faced fool. One eyebrow rose, however, as he heard Dara speak.

“You will eat those words,” he snorted.

Turning away from Rama momentarily, to scan the area for Wargrave, quickly turning back to the Sith ‘Master’.

Maester Wargrave
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:08:52 AM
"Then," Dara spoke running a hand over the face of Rama, "You will die. Good bye Vega. A pity, you weren't good enough for the Empire."

They turned and suddenly all of the figures disappeared and Vega stood alone.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:15:17 AM
In the silence, Vega’s breathing took prominence. It was heavy and yet shallow at the same time, though quickly returned to inaudible. The Lupine raised his head and looked towards the gates of Bast castle. Keeping in track the hatred his was feeling had been hard at first, though now there was less of a drive to lash out towards the now faded figures of his ex-comrades.

“… Well?!” he barked loudly.

Taylor Millard
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:35:26 AM
Even Wargrave was gone from the gates, vanishing as if he had never been there. Slowly, the gates to Bast opened, giving entrance to the courtyard of the castle.

With a winding hum, the black doors to the castle slowly raised from their moorings. A long figure stood between Vega and the entrance, black bodysuit, brown hair impeccably cut short, and his blue eyes blazing.

It was Grand Admiral Taylor Millard.

"Well Mister Van Derveld, welcome to Bast Castle."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 12th, 2002, 07:51:20 AM
A look of meshed anger and surprise came into place on Vega’s face. One eyebrow rose whilst lips parted as if to say something, yet made no noise.

“…You?” he said as he regained what dignity was left.

Without another word he paced forward towards Taylor, eyes rising slowly to look unimpaired upon the towering Bast Castle.

Taylor Millard
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:10:01 AM
"Yes," Millard stared at Vega, "Me. How do you think Wargrave found you so easily? How do you think he knew who you are? It was I all along.

"The Black Hand is everywhere, Mister Van Derveld. Everywhere. Think on that...and choose."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:14:12 AM
He had to admit – he was impressed. He’d not suspected that Wargrave had been Millard at all, and mentally commended the man on his prowess with the Force to be able to cloak himself so well.

“Choose? What am I to choose, Wargrave?” he said, then correcting himself, “Millard.”

Taylor Millard
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:35:44 AM
"Either name works Mister Van Derveld," Millard stated, keeping his face expressionless, "Life or death. Join or die. That simple.

"The invitation has been extended. Join or die."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:41:03 AM
The look changed from partial perplexity to confidence.

“Join sounds like the option I would favor most.”

Taylor Millard
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:52:23 AM
"You would favor most?" Millard raised an eyebrow, "But do you really want to join us? Regardless of life or death."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 12th, 2002, 08:55:33 AM
“I think simply my being here answers that question, does it not?”

Though the question was rhetorical, he provided an answer.

“Of course I really want to join.”

Taylor Millard
Jul 12th, 2002, 09:11:13 AM
"Then enter, Mister Van Derveld. And welcome."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 12th, 2002, 09:14:51 AM
“My thanks…”

Giving a slight bow of his head – whilst keeping his eyes on the visage of the Admiral – he paced forward through the gates and slowly on towards the citadel ahead. As he strode forward he glanced back at the open gates and smiled inwardly before looking towards Taylor expectantly.

Taylor Millard
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:36:20 PM
"Know this," Millard gave a cold stare towards the approaching Vega, "Once you step in these halls you will not be allowed to leave our ranks. If you leave, you will be executed. By me personally, if it comes to it.

"Is that understood."

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 12th, 2002, 01:37:31 PM
“Of course,” Vega replied with a curt nod, “I would not have expected any less.”

Taylor Millard
Jul 12th, 2002, 02:08:27 PM
"Good," Millard gave a nod, "Come with me."

The two entered the castle and the doors slowly closed again.

Milivikal k'Vik
Jul 13th, 2002, 09:09:50 PM
Mili stood just inside a recessed archway, and slid out smoothly as the doors clicked shut.

"If you cross us, Van Derveld, I will turn your insides to goo."

She smiled slightly, but sincerly before ducking around the corner and down a hall.