PDA

View Full Version : Advice for a newbie?

Jeran Conrad
Jul 6th, 2002, 05:10:00 PM
I have never roleplayed online--I really want to learn how. Can anyone offer some starting advice or wisdom, because I would really like to get involved in some cool stories. But I don't really know how.

Anything is appreciated. Thanks again!

Glenn
Jul 6th, 2002, 06:23:30 PM
Just try to not control other peoples characters and you'll do fine.

Loki Ahmrah
Jul 6th, 2002, 06:32:27 PM
Hi Jeran, welcome to our humble roleplaying community! :)

Well, first things first. All newcomers are advised to check out the General FAQs Section (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51) and Roleplaying FAQs Section (http://www.swforums.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52) beforehand, just to give you an idea of what's what.

My advise would be to read a couple of roleplay threads to give you an idea of how things work. Also, before you start I would strongly suggest you have a sound understanding of your character; it helps so much in any given scenario. Other than that I can only say that one thing that is not appreciated is when newcomers try to pass themselves off as Master of the Universe if your character is a Jedi for example. I am not implying that will be true in your case at all, but just a reminder really. :)

Unless a thread in Roleplaying Forum is makred "Closed" then you are free to join, no if's no but's however, most of the threads in the Storytelling Forum are assumed closed unless marked otherwise. If you would like to join a thread in Storytelling that might be closed, just send the thread-starter a private message asking if you can join in.

Anywho, I've gone on for long enough. Once again welcome to SWForums.Net and have fun! :)

Glenn
Jul 6th, 2002, 06:34:25 PM
:lol

Yup...Loki here just covered everything.

Jeran Conrad
Jul 6th, 2002, 07:02:40 PM
Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it greatly. I love roleplaying--I have been a roleplayer for quite some time. I just hope that I can be as fun and as interesting of a player as those around me. I hope to keep the action going.

Once again, thanks for your help and I hope to get into some great threads as soon as I can!

Jeran

Yuumei Okune
Jul 6th, 2002, 08:28:40 PM
Like Loki said, make sure you don't make yourself terribly powerful. New characters, unless rarely used that have a specific purpose, or bounty hunters, are usually limited to small bits of training in their history. This means only bits, if any Force knowledge, and the like. Unless it fits their race, don't have them be too strong, or you'll get your tush laughed off the boards.

PM me if you ever want help with an RP. ^^ I have a variety of characters... although, most are insane...

Also, it's good to read up about Star Wars. Not just the movies, but all the info you can find. Hell, when I started RPing, I went out and bought all the "Essential Guide to" books I could find.. Just don't have the timeline or droids book.

SW is not a future or past version of our galaxy, or world. So try to stay away from modern things, like pistols with bullets, or cars. ;) Vehicles float around here. They don't spin around.

Being insane always helps around here, too. :D

Jeran Conrad
Jul 6th, 2002, 08:52:47 PM
Thanks

I am a hardcore SW fan and gamer, so I shouldn't have a problem with keeping it in the Universe and and keeping it Star Wars specific.

My character is an ex-Jedi Knight turned Hunter of the dark Side. I would like this to be his start to hunting the dark side--therefore, he is not like a really awesome warrior. He has good training in the Jedi arts--he was a Jedi Knight--but he hasn't faced a lot of Sith in his time. Most Jedi do not just go around slaying Dark Jedi all the time. He was trained as a Redeemer. I don't know if you've heard of that, but it is the name for a Jedi who is very pure and is good at pushing away the dark side. These Jedi train to redeem those who have fallen. So, he has experience, but he is by no means an expert dueler. I think I want him to get beat up a lot, so that he can learn and become a master.

Ok, well, thanks for your help. Look forward to seeing you around!

Sith Ahnk
Jul 7th, 2002, 12:39:54 PM
Do not drop the soup

It burns

It burns

Christopher Gue
Jul 7th, 2002, 12:42:54 PM
But in case you DO drop the soup

Make sure to sue

deep pockets

deep pockets

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 7th, 2002, 12:44:52 PM
:) Welcome to SWfans.

Sounds like you have some good ideas about what you're doing, so good luck :)

imported_Taja Loraan
Jul 7th, 2002, 12:46:00 PM
.. and there you have an example of the aforementioned insanity. :)

EDIT: Sorry, that was aimed at Ankh and Gue. x_X

I too wish you good luck. ^_^ And most importantly .. have fun!

Jeran Conrad
Jul 7th, 2002, 01:27:23 PM
Thanks to all of you! I am excited to get started. Hopefully I can find a good thread to join.

Vega Van-Derveld
Jul 7th, 2002, 01:38:54 PM
If you want any help, by the way, don't hesitate to PM me :D

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 7th, 2002, 02:28:03 PM
Welcome to the boards and such.

Yuumei Okune
Jul 7th, 2002, 02:59:57 PM
Yeah, when it gets to be tedious or just not fun is when it's time to quit, or take a leave of absence. ^^;

Sith Ahnk
Jul 7th, 2002, 06:47:45 PM
Do not go down the path of the darkside. Watch the yellow signs, and do not turn left at Oak and Owl. The signs are inverted. Turn right, and be sure to cross your toes as you speed past the boat

Gouyen Chee
Jul 7th, 2002, 09:23:25 PM
Hello and welcome to the insanity, of which this thread is not representitive (yet). I'll be joining you in the RP board as soon as I can figure out a reply to your post.

crono katon
Jul 7th, 2002, 09:38:25 PM
Welcome

Glenn
Jul 7th, 2002, 09:52:02 PM
*plotsplotsplotsplotsplotsplotsplotsplotsplots*

Eviiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiil!

*scurries off*

IG-88
Jul 7th, 2002, 11:29:09 PM
Welcome, experienced but new mortal. I am afraid I can offer you little advice that you truly need - as a matter of fact, you may wish to consider giving lessons in "How to spell words" and "How to link words and phrases together to form coherent sentences". The one thing you may wish to keep in mind is that you should not take glitterstim or ryll spice recreationally, and to stay in your institution of learning of choice. Also, avoid incurring the wrath of anyone who would wish to retaliate by placing a bounty upon you. Such a tragic event would result in a bounty hunter, perhaps even an old pro like myself, in trying to end your life before you think it should be ended. Actually, only worry about it if it IS me after you. "Beat up a lot" is one thing, "dead" is quite another. And some minds ARE a shame to waste.

Enjoy your stay!

[Edit]
Oh, yes. And do not consume the yellow-hued snow.

Azhure Darkstone
Jul 12th, 2002, 03:37:48 AM
Advice for newbie - Run run as fast as you can, they cant catch you because your still a sane man or woman................

um there arent any cluse like she he, her him in this thread so Im going to assume your a male by your character name.
And if you are male ;) Hi.
If your not I didnt say that. :angel

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:38:42 AM
Advice for newbies...

Listen carefully, cause this is important.

Do not go near Jedi with cooking Impliments.

Nupraptor
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:43:11 AM
Advice? Don't call me names. ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 12th, 2002, 06:48:01 AM
Gee, I like wonder why :p

Jeran Conrad
Jul 12th, 2002, 12:29:45 PM
One thing's for sure--lots of insanity around here! I think I am cracking up! Hahahaha.

Yes, I am male, so hi to you too:)

Thanks for your...ummmm...what's the word...advice? Yeah, that's it, advice. Hope to meet you all in the threads.

Azhure Darkstone
Jul 13th, 2002, 02:53:19 AM
*puts 'please hug me' on the jedi with cooking Impliments and runs for cover*
:)

Nice to meet you too Jeran, Welcome to the boards and I'll sicadadle out of here and have a battle with you soon be you jedi or sith =).