PDA

View Full Version : Umm... uh oh! =(

JonathanLB
Jul 6th, 2002, 04:25:51 AM
There are like 25 theaters in my city playing AOTC right now...

Umm... wtf?

I did a check on Fandango for July 12, Friday, and it says, "Sorry, this movie is not playing within 30 miles of your zip code." !!!! I hope that is an error, because otherwise... my AOTC count is about to come to an abrupt halt before I even get my new car.

I know it will come to dollar theaters a bit later, but I hope that is wrong. I don't see how that could possibly be right because Movies on TV should not drop it the same day as Evergreen. They cannot all drop it the same day, unless Fox was pulling it or something. I mean, that alone would be a theater count drop that would make a huge difference given that these showings are nearly selling out here still in the smaller auditoriums.

If that is the case, our theater count could go from like 1,100 to about 400 or worse... Gawd I hope this is not right. I'm going to treat this as my last AOTC week, though, just in case. I did that with TPM about 10 different weeks and it managed to bring my count up drastically, LOL.

EDIT: Hmm... I am leaning towards this being an error. First, it wouldn't make sense, and second, Fandango is not that reliable. I'm checking theater by theater and not only do some of them not even have listings for past this Thursday, but some of them have listings but only for a few movies. Like Movies on TV has SIXTEEN screens yet it lists only 2 movies playing on Wed, July 17 (you cannot even select July 12-16...).

I think this must be an error, but... I dunno.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 6th, 2002, 04:55:47 AM
Live where I am where AOTC, if I wanted to see it, is already at least 40 km away. More likely in Sydney proper which is 75 km.

Sanis Prent
Jul 6th, 2002, 05:01:47 AM
bah...you and your kilometers!

In that case....I have to drive 150 kilometers to school each day :p

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 6th, 2002, 05:14:23 AM
bah you and your miles! Get metric already!

And it's not the length of the drive - it's how much traffic you have to put up with. I can handle long commutes, as long as I get a good run. 40km aint a pain, cause there aint that much traffic.

Quadinaros
Jul 6th, 2002, 10:36:43 AM
My guess is thier info is just incomplete for that date. Most theaters probably haven't made their final decisions yet about what they're going to pull Friday. I don't know when theaters typically make those decisions, but if I were a theater owner, I would wait at least until Monday so I would know how many tickets movies sold over the weekend.

JMK
Jul 6th, 2002, 11:29:26 AM
I understand your metrics Marcus! :lol

JediBoricua
Jul 6th, 2002, 09:30:27 PM
*Hijacking thread*

It's worst in my country, we have distances in kilometers, and speed at miles per hour!!!!

IT'S MADNESS I TELL YOU!!!!

Darth23
Jul 6th, 2002, 09:34:20 PM
Originally posted by JediBoricua
*Hijacking thread*

It's worst in my country, we have distances in kilometers, and speed at miles per hour!!!!

IT'S MADNESS I TELL YOU!!!!

Thank goodness for those dashboard calculators.

:p

JonathanLB
Jul 6th, 2002, 11:37:26 PM
Well technically the metric system is very effective, like for science and stuff, but I still think it's stupid for a lot of instances.

Who is going to go around saying they are 1.768 meters tall? That sounds so queer. It's just idiotic. You say you are 5-10, or 5-4, or 6-2, but you don't want to say you are frickin' 1.895 meters tall or some other idiotic, Star Treky measurement.

Plus, kilometers per hour? That's stupid. MPH, that's more like it.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 7th, 2002, 12:12:45 AM
You simply say your 175 cm tall.

JonathanLB
Jul 7th, 2002, 01:43:55 AM
Good lord that is a big number. Nobody want to stop and figure out what that really is in REAL height, i.e. feet and inches. :)

JMK
Jul 7th, 2002, 03:21:40 PM
Good thing the Essential Guide to SW character uses metric. Works much better for me that way. :D

JonathanLB
Jul 7th, 2002, 07:18:36 PM
Very silly. Nearly impossible to understand what it means.

JMK
Jul 8th, 2002, 09:22:28 AM
What? Metric hard to understand? Its so simple its riduculous.
10mm=1cm
100cm=1m
1000m=1km

Compared to
12" = 1'
5280'= 1mile (wtf?? 5280? What kind of number is that?)

I'm sorry, there's no way that the imperial system is easier to comprehend than metric. I know you're used to inches and feet and you've probably memorized numbers like 5280 feet = 1 mile, but if you were an infant and had to pick one system to learn, one which doesn't require memory to remember certain figures, then metric is the way to go. It's nothing but simple common sense.

I'm in a good spot, being in Canada because officially I learn from metric systems, but because we're so close the U.S. (and because I've spent a good portion of my life there in upstate NY) I fully understand the Imperial system as well.

Doc Milo
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:05:41 PM
The only place where understanding metric comes into play (as being difficult, that is) is when you are used to the imperial system, and then you try to convert to metric. How many feet equals a meter, for example....

Other than that, metric is an easier system.

And Jon, if you were used to saying KPH, you'd think MPH sounds silly. It's all in what you're used to saying and hearing.

JonathanLB
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:21:15 PM
Yes, and living in the greatest country on Earth, I personally prefer what we use. The metric system is great for science, I'd prefer it for that, but talking about how tall someone is either in meters or centimeters is ridiculous. Either it is too low or too high to be easily understood. It's much easier for someone to say they are 5'6". Anyway, you never see height done in centimeters, which would be somewhat easier, it's always in stupid meters, which is great for measuring REALLY long or tall things, but for measuring anything like a human it's entirely ineffective. Everyone is between 1.5 meters and 2.3 meters tall or whatever. The difference is just too annoying to understand. If I ask how tall someone is, I don't want to hear it in gay measurement, I want to hear it in normal measurement, i.e. feet and inches.

Imperial system?! LOL. Never heard it called that. We are a democracy, like a republic almost, hehe, not an imperial power ;) It's just "the normal" system and then there is "the metric system," i.e. for science nerds.

I obviously understand the metric system because I've been in many science classes, and I prefer it for any exact measurements like that, but if we're just talking height and weight and whatnot, pounds and feet/inches are far easier.

darth_mcbain
Jul 8th, 2002, 05:38:30 PM
I can appreciate both - my dad was a science teacher, so growing up he taught me a lot of the conversions. When we'd be driving he'd have me try to figure out how many kilometers we were from our destination instead of miles, or he'd have me figure out my weight in kilograms... To this day, whenever I see a bank display the temperature in Fahrenheit and Celsius, I try to ignore the Fahrenheit temp and figure it out from the Celsius number... :rolleyes

I'll take the english system any day, but that's just because its what I'm used to. But if you think about it, the english system is the one that is really pretty backwards while the metric system is the one that makes a lot more sense.

Lady Vader
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:24:51 PM
I just like the sound of imperial instead of metric.

Metric sounds all heavy and round.

Imperial sounds tall and lean.

*Puts on royal cape, crown, and holds up scepter.*

And imperial also makes me feel like QUEEN OF THE WORLD! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!!!!

*Takes off entire get-up.*

Eh, just my look on it, at any rate.

:D

JonathanLB
Jul 8th, 2002, 06:56:12 PM
I far prefer our system, it just sounds way better. I guess the Europeans need a more simple system for them to understand, though. You know, these odd numbers can be hard to use for them ;) lol

Celsius has nothing to do with metric, it's just a STUPID scale in general. Fahrenheit and Kelvin are far better. Fahrenheit is the best. Celsius, haha, what a retarded way to measure temperatures. Oh my god it's 35 out! Ok, 35 is goddamn freezing cold, not hot. "Wow today we have temperatures in the 40's!! What a nice summer day!" I would crack up laughing if anyone said that to me.

Now in the case of metric vs. our system, metrix is more logical because it is base 10, but in the case of celsius vs. fahrenheit, neither one is more logical, but one is much cooler and less gay, and that's fahrenheit :)

darth_mcbain
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:46:53 AM
Fahrenheit is totally arbitrary though... Water freezes at 32 and boils at 212? Come on - where did he come up with that!? Why don't I just come up with my own scale where water freezes at -327 and boils at 1138?

Lady Vader
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:28:31 AM
:lol

:lol

darth_mcbain
Jul 9th, 2002, 11:44:40 AM
hey - its as arbitrary a number as 212... ;)

Lady Vader
Jul 9th, 2002, 02:38:56 PM
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeee eeeee...

;) :lol

JonathanLB
Jul 9th, 2002, 03:36:09 PM
It's not arbitrary -- water DOES boil at 212 and freeze at 32. What do you mean "come up with"? It's just a scientific fact. It's not his opinion that water freezes at 32 degrees, it's just the way it works. OOOOhhh you mean like before it was invented ;) lol.

Well, there must have been a good reason I suppose. Fahrenheit is cool.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:51:22 PM
Water freezing at 0 and boiling at 100 makes more sense to me.

Fahrenheit is also harder to spell. :\ :lol

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:58:22 PM
Fahrenheit sucks, I cant work it out for any money. Celcius is quite sensible. YYou know you will freeze if the number is below 5 and you will sweat if it is about 35.

fahenheit was scaled on the freezing and melting points of mecury, which makes no sense to me. And believe me, being in a fully metric palce, ANY Imperial measurements are confusing and just plain..... nonsense. I still have no idea how many feet to a mile, or furlong, or chains or..... whatever.

JMK
Jul 9th, 2002, 05:21:13 PM
Water freezing at 0 and boiling at 100 makes more sense to me.

Fahrenheit is also harder to spell.

You pretty much summed up everything for me LD. Merci!

IMO, using feet and inches for height and pounds for weight IS easier (for me anyway), but like I also said, the metric system makes infinitely more sense than any other system. It's about as simple as saying AotC is a great movie.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 9th, 2002, 06:15:36 PM
I also agree, the feet and inches for height and pounds for weight is easier for me as well. But thats just because its what I'm most used to.