PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of The Mummy?

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 4th, 2002, 01:49:19 AM
rented both The Mummy and Mummy Returns last weekend. Now, TMR wasn't great, it really was a silly movie taking itself waaaaaay to serious.

But I have to admit The Mummy was quite entertaining and enjoyable, funny to boot. Yes, it was a homage to Indiana Jones, but I found it was surprisingly good. And funny. I liked it a lot and so did my wife, which was a big surprise.

Big thumbs up. Should be more :)

JonathanLB
Jul 4th, 2002, 08:12:05 AM
Personally, I preferred The Mummy Returns. They are both nothing but showcases for what types of effects ILM can pull off, and as such, The Mummy Returns is a superior effects film so I enjoyed it more. I'd give it three stars because it's pretty fun, but I thought The Mummy was one of the most disappointing big blockbusters of the last few years. It gets 2.5. Not a bad movie, even pretty entertaining, but way too campy and plotless for me.

Jinn Fizz
Jul 4th, 2002, 08:24:02 AM
I loved The Mummy. I thought it was the best Indiana Jones rip-off I've ever seen. Extremely entertaining, funny, exciting, great visual effects, lots and lots of fun. Plus I love Brendan Fraser :).

The Mummy Returns was not quite as good as the first, but still a heck of a lot of fun.

JonathanLB
Jul 4th, 2002, 08:26:34 AM
I like Brendan Fraser, mostly. He's a funny guy. The silliness of The Mummy films is just too much to take them seriously for me. Too slapstick and ridiculous. I had high hopes, but oh well.

Sanis Prent
Jul 4th, 2002, 08:46:58 AM
Too slapstick and ridiculous

...like TPM, right?

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 4th, 2002, 09:27:55 AM
I like each one in their own respects... own both on VHS as well.

My only quirk for The Mummy Returns is the Giant scorpian with the Rock's head on it. That was just idiotic.

Sanis Prent
Jul 4th, 2002, 09:29:43 AM
The Mummy was pretty cool. A bit corny and fun, etc.

Mummy 2 just didn't sit well with me. Waaay too lame

JMK
Jul 4th, 2002, 09:32:09 AM
I can't take Fraser seriously. Ever since Dudley whatever, and Encino Man and George of the Jungle, I just can't get those images of him out of my head and take him as a credible action hero. :(

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 4th, 2002, 10:17:58 AM
I am with you JMK, that was one of my problems with the movies, I thought the first one was okay, my biggest complaint was that it didn't know if was an adventure film or if it was a horror film.

Jinn Fizz
Jul 4th, 2002, 10:31:48 AM
The CGI Scorpion King in TMR was amazingly bad for ILM O_o . If that effect had been better, I could give the movie higher marks.

I love George of the Jungle, that movie made me laugh harder than I had in a long, long time. I'll never forget going to see it with my parents and my niece, who was about 11 or 12 at the time. We were all laughing so hard, we were crying. :lol

Blast from the Past and Bedazzled are other fun Fraser flicks. He also did a great guest-shot on Scrubs, which as far as I'm concerned, is one of the funniest shows on TV right now. :)

CMJ
Jul 4th, 2002, 02:00:39 PM
I enjoyed both of "The Mummy" films for what they were...big dumb fun. :)

JonathanLB
Jul 4th, 2002, 04:24:27 PM
Yeah, first of all, the effect on the Scorpion King in The Mummy Returns was horrible. I don't even believe that was ILM. Maybe they let UCLA film students animate it themselves or something and just didn't tell anyone else about it. ILM is absolutely the best and can do anything perfectly when they want, but obviously the money they got to do that effect or the time they had for it must have been prohibitive.

I thought The Scorpion King was a lot better than the first Mummy movie, which was just very disappointing.

"...like TPM, right?"

What the hell are you talking about? TPM is a serious movie in an epic saga. Are you smoking weed? Please refrain from substance abuse while posting on this forum. Thanks.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 4th, 2002, 04:25:32 PM
The Mummy, crap, hated it. Refuse to see the sequal.

JonathanLB
Jul 4th, 2002, 04:28:38 PM
Thank you. Amen to that.

JMK
Jul 4th, 2002, 05:07:12 PM
:lol@FLMKR4EB!

FLMKR4EB
Jul 4th, 2002, 05:17:10 PM
What, do I amuse you? Am I clown?

Joke!

;-)

JMK
Jul 4th, 2002, 05:21:02 PM
Yeah, you know, you'er funny. Just funny funny. You know.

CMJ
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:05:31 AM
The "Mummy" films are certainly not award worthy or anything, but like I stated earlier, for what they were I thought they were both effective.

They were entertaining "check you brain at the door" type movies(to me). One of the things I liked about them, was they didn't take themselves too seriously, which alot of movies of similar ilk do(and consequently most of them aren't nearly as much campy fun).

JonathanLB
Jul 5th, 2002, 01:08:20 AM
That's where I disagree. I think you are right in that they don't take themselves seriously, but I don't like that. I think every film should take itself seriously, even if that only means taking the comedy in it seriously. I just don't care for a movie where the filmmakers obviously did not take it seriously at all. To me it seems like laziness.

Nonetheless, I would agree with you on the 2nd movie at least, that it is good "check your brain at the door" entertainment. I actually quite enjoyed the 2nd one really, but I still had plenty of problems with it. I just don't like the first movie. I think the sequel is significantly superior, and so is The Scorpion King, which is probably the best of the three, barely. It's totally mindless and a lot of the acting is pretty shoddy, but it has a few good one-liners, it's funny, and the action is quite good despite its historical inaccuracy and blah blah, who cares. hehe.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 5th, 2002, 04:20:43 AM
WHY should a movie take itself seriously? The filmakers of The Mummy clearly knew they were making a B-Grader and they played up to that. Dumb, but funny and a lot of fun - and really, it turned out a lot better than expected. I would even go as far as to place it in the guilty delights category.

The Mummy Returns spoilt the sense of fun and ridiculing itself that was so delightful in the first and went too serious. It definantly was not as good because of this! A few more jokes and less seriousness and it would have been very effective. As it stands I will recommend The Mummy but not The Mummy Returns. There should be more like The Mummy

CMJ
Jul 5th, 2002, 12:17:16 PM
Eh, I don't know...."Returns" took itself a bit more seriously perhaps, BUT it still poked alot of fun at itself(or so I thought). The films were of about the same quality, or so I thought.

flagg
Jul 5th, 2002, 07:14:42 PM
I think there are good brainless popcorn movies and bad ones. The Mummy films were both fun, but don't get me started on The Scorpion King! Can you smell what the Rock is cooking? Yeah, the lamest Conan rip-off in history! :)

JMK
Jul 5th, 2002, 11:22:10 PM
What about Charile's Angels? That movie doesn't pretend to take itseld seriously what with the Spider Man undie butt dance and the moonwalk, etc...and that movie works. For me anyway.

FLMKR4EB
Jul 5th, 2002, 11:29:24 PM
Yeah, Universal even used the Conan Theme for the Scorpian King Trailer. That turned me off and pushed me away immediately.

JonathanLB
Jul 5th, 2002, 11:33:45 PM
Charlie's Angels rocks, but that is totally different. It's not stupid and stoogy like The Mummy.

The Mummy Returns IS a better film because of it being more serious. It's not as stupid as The Mummy. I wouldn't recommend The Mummy even to my worst enemies, lol. It's not a bad movie but I wouldn't be caught dead recommending it.