PDA

View Full Version : Bad News :(

Quadinaros
Jul 3rd, 2002, 05:58:45 AM
Looks like AOTC is taking the shaft from theaters again this weekend. Just when it looked like we were going to have good dropoffs this week...

Screen counts from Box Office Mojo
OFFICIAL THEATER COUNTS FOR MOVIES OPENING 7/3/02

Men in Black II - 3,557
Like Mike - Wednesday: 2,310 ; Friday: 2,410
The Powerpuff Girls - Wednesday: 2,290 ; Friday: 2,340

HOLDOVERS:
Mr. Deeds - 3231
Scooby-Doo - 3,257
Lilo & Stitch - 3,222
Minority Report - Wednesday: 2,800 ; Friday - 2,729
Spider-Man - 1502
Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - Wednesday: 1,177 ; Friday: 1,162

FYI, AOTC had 1801 screens this week, Spidey 1810. I wouldn't be surprised to see Spider-Man pass AOTC after all, since it's only losing about 300 theaters, compared to about 625 for AOTC. Disturbing, this news is... >_<

JonathanLB
Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:25:06 AM
What the hell is up with that? That is really just wrong.

AOTC has held on stronger than Spider-Man lately and is continually beating it EVERY day of the week EVERY weekend. I'm sorry but that is just a crock of s**t. AOTC is beating the pants off Spidey and has done so every day since its release.

Jesus, we got hammered so badly it's embarrassing. It'll be tough clearing $300 million even with theater drops like that. It just doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I'm starting to feel lucky that my theaters have kept AOTC.

Quadinaros
Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:36:35 AM
Well, AOTC was playing on 3 theaters locally, but starting today, it's down to one. But it's the one I always go to, so I feel good about that.

I'd like to see the details of the contract theaters have with AOTC. I would like to know why, after all these weeks, they're still pulling AOTC in favor of Spidey, even though AOTC is selling considerably more tickets. :huh

flagg
Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:37:59 AM
It looks like Sony are determined to get Spidey above AOTC. I wonder how much they're bribing theater owners. :)

Or maybe its the theater owners that don't want AOTC to pass $300 million, since that way Lucas will have to take a lower cut for Episode III. Either way, this sucks :(

CMJ
Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:44:18 AM
Who knows what's coming into play...seriously. Maybe theatre owners have the feeling the more patriotic "Spider-Man" will play better during the July 4th time frame.

JonathanLB
Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:58:02 AM
Star Wars is as American as Apple Pie! :) They need to keep it because angry Star Wars fans like Jedi3167 may start hijacking planes if the movie is not playing in a few weeks! lol, j/k, j/k.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:25:03 PM
Those numbers don't seem right to me either, I have no clue why AOTC lost so many theaters, also where did you find this on Mojo? I can't find anything about screen counts, I thought it was because they were behind because of the 4th.

Darth23
Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:06:08 PM
AOTC is obviously losing theaters because it made more money than Spiderman last weekend. :p

Jedieb
Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:21:15 PM
Spider-Man - 1502
AOTC Wed 1,177 ; Fri.1,162
Wow! That's pretty remarkable considering how these films are doing right now. One of the reasons that I can think of for theaters cutting AOTC loose is because Spidey has been more generous to them. It's not just that it's brought in bigger numbers, but theater owners have been able to keep more of those profits. Still, you have to wonder, what's driving these numbers? If it's the market, then the market MUST have a reason. You wouldn't just throw out a movie that's making you more money for no good reason. Another factor we might have to consider is that many of the theaters playing Spidey are cheaper theaters that couldn't meet Lucas' quality demands. Spidey is the one blockbuster they could get so their riding him as long as they can.

But does anybody think theaters owners are PURPOSELY throwing money away just to spite AOTC? This doesn't bode well for $300M. The theater average is irrelevant now. The final numbers count and if they don't stay up in the low 30%s then $300M isn't going to happen.

Quadinaros
Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:23:33 PM
Jedi Master Carr, I subscribe to Mojo's newsletter, and I received the above info in an e-mail early this morning. ;)

This is quite heartbreaking. I really thought AOTC might pull in close to $5 mil. for the 5-day weekend. Now I'm thinking around $3-3.5 mil maybe. :mad

flagg
Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:11:47 PM
That's why it will be better when every theater is digital. They'll be able to change the number of screens on a daily basis based on demand :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:53:03 PM
It think it will still make 300, one it will make 290 by sunday, still could make 291, and pass TESB, at that rate by the end of July could be somewhere between 295-297 then it will be dollar theaters and between that and IMAX in September I think it will easily pass 300 million, probably won't make into the top 10, has a small chance of passing ROTJ at 309, and ID4 at 307, that is the only think left for it to pass.

Quadinaros
Jul 4th, 2002, 03:22:18 PM
It looks like the screen count took its toll. According to Wednesday estimates so far, AOTC is not even in the top 11. If it could have stayed ahead of Sum Of All Fears, it would have found itself in 10th place.

Oh, well. I won't dwell on it. :\