PDA

View Full Version : It's in all sports.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:38:28 PM
I think this topic so to speak was talked about before But I came accross this to prove a point I had about steriods being used in all sports, and no one is beyond using them (except me).I feel if you have nothing to hide , prove it .
Excuse Me for Asking

By Rick Reilly
Sports Illustrated

It was a simple, straightforward question for Chicago Cubs bomber Sammy Sosa.

"You’ve said if baseball tests for steroids, you want to be first in line, right?" I asked him last Thursday at his Wrigley Field locker.

"Yes," Sosa replied.

"Well, why wait?" I said.

"What?"

I wrote down the name and phone number of LabCorp, which has a diagnostic test lab in Elmhurst, Ill., 30 minutes from Wrigley. I told him what LabCorp had told me: If any person wants to be tested for steroids, all he has to do is have his physician give a written order and bring in a blood or urine sample. The lab could have the results back within 10 days.

Sosa looked at the piece of paper as if it were a dead rat.

"Why wait to see what the players’ association will do?" I continued. "Why not step up right now and be tested? You show everybody you’re clean. It’ll lift a cloud off you and a cloud off the game. It’ll show the fans that all these great numbers you’re putting up are real."

Sosa’s neck veins started to bulge.

I tried to tell him how important I thought this was. How attendance is headed for the cesspool. A former MVP told SI that 50% of the players are on steroids. The fans are starting to look at every home run record the way people look at Ted Koppel’s hair. And there’s the threat of a strike. Something good has to happen. What could be more positive than the game’s leading home run hitter’s proving himself cleaner than Drew Carey’s fork?

Sosa looked at me as if I were covered in leeches.

"Why are you telling me to do this?" he said. "You don’t tell me what to do."

I tried to explain that I wasn’t telling him to do it, I was just wondering if he didn’t think it would be a good move for him and the game.

"You’re not my father!" he said, starting to yell. "Why do you tell me what to do? Are you trying to get me in trouble?"

I asked how he could get in trouble if he wasn’t doing anything wrong.

"I don’t need to go nowhere," he growled. "I’ll wait for the players’ association to decide what to do. If they make that decision [to test], I will be first in line."

But didn’t he think a star stepping forward now, without being told to be tested....

"This interview is over!" He started looking around for security. "Over, motherf-----!"

(Note to young sportswriters: Always make your steroid question your last question.)

The funny thing is, I doubt Sosa is on steroids. He has never missed more than six games in any of the last five seasons. Most nukeheads come apart like Tinkertoy houses.

But plenty of people wonder: Here’s a guy who went nine years without ever hitting more than 40 home runs. In the last four seasons he’s hit 66, 63, 50 and 64. Here’s a guy who was once a skinny, 165-pound, jet-footed Texas Ranger. Now he’s a bulky, 230-pound Mr. Olympus.

"This was because of my tooth," he had said earlier in the interview. "When I first came to Texas [in 1989], I had a bad wisdom tooth. The doctor discovered this, and he fixed it. After that, I start to eat much better."

What’d he eat, Fort Worth?

Sosa also explained that the extra muscle and added girth came from feverish weightlifting, not a feverish pharmacist.

"I have a gym in my house [in the Dominican Republic]," he said. "I work out every day, seven days a week. Sometimes at two or three in the morning."

He said the media’s suspicions have hurt him. "They think everybody is guilty," he said. "They judge me, but they don’t know me."

That’s about when I offered up my brilliant public relations maneuver of having himself tested. Soon we were discussing my relationship with my mother.

Maybe Sosa feels he would undermine his union’s bargaining power if he had himself tested. But when I asked him if that’s why he didn’t want to do it, he again mentioned, rather crisply, "You’re not my father."

No, but if I were, I’d tell him to get tested. And I’d say it to Barry Bonds and anybody else who says he cares about the game. If they’ve got nothing to hide, why wait?

True, it would take some large cojones. Of course, if these players are on steroids, they lost those a long time ago.

Issue date: July 8, 2002

-----

BUFFJEDI
Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:46:45 PM
Tennis....

WIMBLEDON, England (July 2) -- Venus Williams won't open her home for surprise drug testers. Jennifer Capriati says random testing is an "invasion."

Despite objections from two of the sport's biggest stars, the women's tennis tour said Tuesday it will introduce out-of-competition testing this year for performance-enhancing substances.

Admiral Lebron
Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:48:56 PM
neat...its from the future...

On topic though, yeah, I think they should be tested for steroids cause I honestly don't watch it anymore because most guys are like trees ands its no long interesting.

BUFFJEDI
Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:54:20 PM
And we are supposed to think these people are great athlete's??

I spoke with a former pro bodybuilder when I was a trainer. Back in 96 he said that in his Opinion by the year 2000 all most all sports 80 % (not his exact %) of the athletes would be on some sort of enhancing drug.A true athlete does it on his/her own. It's like I was very proud of my self for my accomplishment the other night. But if I was on the juice I could have added another 100 pounds easy , but yet there is NO way I could have held my head high and be proud of what I had done:( it's a sad time in sports.Why can't people do for themselves and not cheat ??

Sorry things like this bug the crap out of me:(

BTW. this bodybuilder trained with Arnold and lou. He admited to using the stuff , but when I asked about arnie and lou , he wouldn't say :) I know what that means. But than agian I guess he was just being a good frien to them.

Charley
Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:29:58 PM
Unfortunately...pride and self esteem are only part of the equation. These guys have careers at stake...with millions of dollars in the balance. I'm not saying what they do is right, but it keeps them employed. If a man takes the moral high ground, he'll likely soon find himself out-performed by the juicers. I've seen it happen, and its something you just can't compete with, no matter how hard you push yourself. Yeah the roid-poppers will burn out after a while, but not before they've taken you out of the game.

I think such a mandatory test is vital to restoring the spirit of the game, even if it means performance is decreased.

Another bit of conjecture is what to limit. Should it be just anabolics and their derivatives, or should they also go further to things like creatine, taurine, and other boosts. I think that creatine and its kind of protein-enhancing chemicals should be protected, since its only real effect is to reduce the lactic acid buildup in muscles during anaerobic respiration. (This is what makes you "sore"). It allows you to work harder, with less strain. I used it for years, and to my knowledge, there are no adverse effects, other than it tasting like sand :x

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:50:26 PM
Well I don't think Sosa is on Steroids, he seems like too smart of a guy to do that and I don't think he needs it, the reason he struggled in the early part of his career was because of his free swinging nature, once he got that under control he began hitting them out a lot of course he also plays in a HR friendly place. I think he made those statements more because of the Union's position and they don't want anything done into the labor dispute is settled (which is a different issue completely) as far as the tennis players have no clue, unless Caparati is doing cocaine again (that is what got here in trouble last time).

JMK
Jul 3rd, 2002, 10:32:03 AM
I felt that Sosa was a little ambushed by this guy. Sure I agree, go and get tested if you've got nothing to hide. Be a trailblazer, but then if he does it, then it puts pressure on other guys that may under suspicion to go and get tested. Eventually, probably sooner than later, someone will be busted and then what? I don't blame Sosa for not giving in to this guy's ambush, but the way he blew up and threw a tantrum makes me a little suspicious.

As for the argument that its an invasion of privacy. Please. You make more money in one day than any of your fans make in a year. To pee in a cup is not too much to ask IMO. It's not like you're going to stand at home plate, wiz in a cup from 6 feet away while 50,000 people chant "cheater, cheater!". They owe it to the fans that they're doing this on pure human ability, and not the aid of performance-enhancing drugs.

As long as these super ripped players are on the juice, jacking homers, breaking records, making the owners millions, then I think nothing will happen. If fans complain enough, then maybe. But how will that ever happen when most fans pay $$$ to see the long ball?

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:31:04 PM
Right now the fans don't care. There was a poll, and I think 60% or something like that didn't care so that kind of shows why nothing is being done about it.

Jedieb
Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:06:13 PM
I heard about that interview on PTI yesterday. Reilly basically ambushed Sosa. He's a jerk IMO. Sosa has stated publicly that he endorses testing and would gladly take part in a MLB testing program. He owes that jagoff of a reporter nothing more. The guy is a hypocrite. He throws the question and the card in Sosa's face at the end of an interview. Then later on he tries to sound sincere with; "The funny thing is, I doubt Sosa is on steroids." No it's not funny, it's proof that you're an ass that just wanted a sensationalistic article for your paper. If he doubted Sosa was on roids, then why ask him to take the test? Jerk. I would have done the same thing Sammy did. What did he REALLY expect Sosa to do? Drop everything, run over to the doctor's office that very instant and pee in the cup? Would any of you have done that if someone threw that question and a card in your face? It's enough that Sosa endorses the program. He doesn't owe that reporter a damn thing.

If I had to guess I'd say there's around 15-30% of MLB players using roids. That's too high a number. Hell, 1% is too high a number for any professional sport. But there are lots of reasons players don't have the physique of the Babe anymore. Training regiments are more structured and scientific than they use to be. Guys get bigger year after year, nutrition improves, and training methods have DRASTICALLY improved in the last few years. I think the players should be tested. Invasion of privacy my butt. They owe it to the sport, the fans, and ultimately their own health. Who they don't owe a test to is some putz of a reporter looking for a cheap headline.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 3rd, 2002, 03:56:06 PM
I agree Jedieb, but if the fans' don't care it makes it difficult to push the issue, really and with the big question marks surrounding the next laboring agreement who knows what will happen.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:21:46 PM
The real problem is there is just too many dollars for sports these days. It's huge business and I would expect that if I had a multi million dollar gravy train to get on, I'd do what was needed to hitch up. Good thing I dont want to, becuase it is totally clear that it's tainted by drugs. There is just simply too much at stake now not to be into drugs for these top guys and in some ways I understand them. Hey, they have 5 -10 years to get all the dollars they can before their bodies go to pieces. Can you really blame em?

And I would add not many elite sportsmen are hugely intelligent. The ones that are tend to get very high paid jobs after their sporting careers are over. I would think that if given a choice for glory or mediocaty, then the choice to some of them becomes easy.

My opinion is that I dont care if sportmen are juiced or not. I would say that the ridicous bans and tests are gettign too far out of hand and the pathetic looking excuses when a juicer is caught is trying. I say legalise the ones that are safe and let em go for it. You never goign to stop drugs in sport now.

Sanis Prent
Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:52:18 PM
Thats why I'm a creatine/taurine advocate. Its no "magic potion", as its stuff that is naturally occurring in red meat and other stuff, though in smaller quantities. You don't just take this stuff and get ripped. You gotta work your tail off. The only thing it does is enable you to work a little harder, and make it a little easier to build muscle mass. I used it all through high school. Tastes horrible, though I have to say, I could feel a boost in the weightroom. I wasn't raging or anything, but I always felt I could lift "just one more rep". Thats a great feeling to have, to know that you burn out less.

I have heard though, if you take it in pure form, the best way to take it is to mix with grape juice. Not only does it diminish the sand taste, but it will also interact with the sucrose present in the juice, and quicken absorption into the bloodstream. Also, the stuff is expensive, so be forewarned.