PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Help...

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:56:52 AM
The problem:

I started up my computer this morning, and as it was starting up, I went downstairs and did a few things for my mother. When I came back up here, I noticed that it was still booting up, and just at the "welcome" screen. That was odd in itself, since in the time I was doing stuff for mom, my computer would have been able to start up thrice over. No biggie. But then it did that nice welcome chime as windows actually started up. What I saw next was not pleasent. My desktop background was gone, my style was changed, 3/4ths of my desktop icons were non exsitent... you get the point.

Usually a restart works, so I restarted and this time, during the boot up, it came to a screen that said recommended that a scan go through and check your folders and files. There was more text to it than that, but it started scabnning before I could give it the ok to do so.

It foudn a bad sector cluster, and said that it replaced it, then it checked my free space. Once that was done, it gave a report of the amount of free space and such, then continued on in starting up.

Right before it hits the welcome screen, a box shows up, stating that I have files that are corrupted and that I should ocntact my administrator. So, I click "ok" since it's the only thing to click and a second box shows up, stating that The computer cannot locate any of my files, nor am I able to connect locally to my own settings, so it sets me up on a "temporary user". That's all fine and dandy, but it states that every time I shut off or log out, anything I change or whatever (style, background, what-have-you) it won't be saved. Which is a pain all by itself.

So, I ask, is there anyway to restore those corrupted files so that I can get back to my normal settings and such?

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 1st, 2002, 07:38:16 PM
Or not, I think I have it pretty much figured out anywho...

Thanks for all the help.

Why you're welcome!

:|

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 1st, 2002, 07:44:47 PM
I know jack about puters so I stay away from topics like this :p

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 1st, 2002, 08:03:37 PM
No worries. Just figured out of everyone that I have seen browse the boards today (and those who have been invisible) I would figure someone would know what's up, and post up a quick reply. Seen Sanis and some others do it before and get replies like mad.

Ah well, no biggie.

But what I just tried didn't work, so I'm getting food, taking some meds, then doing somehting else to hopefully cure this thing.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 1st, 2002, 08:14:47 PM
taking meds? :(

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 1st, 2002, 08:46:44 PM
Well, had to start a mouth rinse thing that was prescribed to me two days before the pulling of the teeth.. and today is two days before. :)

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 1st, 2002, 08:56:59 PM
OH! I know what it is probably... being a legal drug dealer and all ^_^

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 1st, 2002, 09:07:49 PM
uh...

"PerioGuard" is what I think the name is.... Nasty stuff

Anywho, sent an E-mail to Systemax. Hopefully they can help me.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 1st, 2002, 09:13:10 PM
I was right!:lol

Sorry my idle curiosity since I work in a pharmacy :p

:: hopes puter gets fixed too ::

^_^

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:12:46 AM
:lol

And Gah! >.< I get an e-mail earlier today that tells me I need to give them my serial number, and to use their customer tech support thing. So, I filled out the form, and just got a reply back abuot it, stating that whatever it is is software related and that it isnot covered by their 90 day warrenty thing. So they want me to pay for the help, in which they might call me to set up how to pay for the help. (That's what I got from the e-mail). No help there.

*flips them off*

Bah.

Alana Stormcloud
Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:11:31 AM
Hiya Snack I just saw this. A friend of mine that builds puters said that window XP will cause you nothing but prob:( The best thing you can do is get someone or do it your self and unload windows xp and install windows me or lower.I have windows ME and have not a prob. Window XP is still consiered a beta version ack yuck lol when your reload wiondows me u will have the files u need :) but make sure you get rid of the oher windows first :) hope this helps ya:)

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:30:05 PM
:/

I dunno, I haven't had any real problems with XP in the 7 months that I've had this. The two previous ones I've figured out how to fix (A drive doesn't work, but I never use it and just recently my Lexmark X73 couldn't be read by the comp, but I've foudn how to fix both.

*shrugs*

Thanks, though.

Navaria Tarkin
Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:06:32 PM
and the soap opera de Snack continues ....

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:43:23 PM
Hiya Snack I just saw this. A friend of mine that builds puters said that window XP will cause you nothing but prob The best thing you can do is get someone or do it your self and unload windows xp and install windows me or lower.I have windows ME and have not a prob. Window XP is still consiered a beta version ack yuck lol when your reload wiondows me u will have the files u need but make sure you get rid of the oher windows first hope this helps ya

ME is awful. XP is a far superior OS and is based on some now tried and true code. It is not a beta in the slightest and I would be very suspicious of a person who would recommend ME over XP - I would instantly install XP over ME anyday. Snack got hit with a data corruption, which if he is running FAT partions, that does happen. Running NTFS is slower, but much more stable. Now as for restoring desktop, I'm thinking that one over - right, your desktop icons and such are stored in C:\Documents and settings\

What's under that directory? Should be a few and you might need to unhide files to get a good look.

Maia Tharrinn
Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:05:56 AM
:Þ lol

Jedi Neo
Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:58:10 AM
XP is a good little system. But in this case I'd like you to check a few things.
1)In your hardware config make sure everything is working.
2)Defrag your Hard drive
3)If you have Norton Utilities run the Norton WinDoctor or the like. This will scan your regestry and fix alot of problems.

Otherwise you'll have to do a format on your hard drive to fix this problem.

Wytchy Woman
Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:13:21 PM
I agree with Marcus - my son warned me to stay away from Me. I run duel OS on the office computer - XP and 98 and I love XP. I'm not totally knowledgable about computers, but Marcus & Neo's suggestions sound about right. It seems to me though that there is a restore desktop option with XP, am I correct?

Jedi Neo
Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:23:35 PM
Yes there is a system restore!

Snack may be able to use to get his old desktop back, but since some of his files are bad, I don't know if that will fix it.

He also needs to do a Virus Scan as well, never can be to careful these days.

Nathanial K'cansce
Jul 5th, 2002, 01:48:28 PM
Running a virus scan right now...

Haven't had the time to do what has been suggested these past few days... got the wisdom teeth sawed out and all.