PDA

View Full Version : Mr Deeds

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 30th, 2002, 02:34:09 PM
Who was shocked at how low the movie opened? I am talking about after it opened with a 14 on Friday I thought 40 for sure or close to it at least but it made 13 on Saturday and the estamate has it at about 10 for Sunday, now that is terrible drops which means it could be in for a big drop next weekend, especially against MIB 2, still on the bright side it looks like this movie will do better than Little Nicky and might make 100.

JonathanLB
Jun 30th, 2002, 03:02:21 PM
It'll do $100M for sure. But it might be close if the film has horrid staying power. The weekdays will help it because it's summer...

Their $10M estimate on Sunday may even be optimistic, hehe.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 30th, 2002, 03:33:34 PM
Why is the movie that bad? I am guessing you have seen it.

JonathanLB
Jun 30th, 2002, 03:58:35 PM
I'm seeing it tonight. Doesn't look that bad to me personally. I like Adam Sandler. Is his humor pretty dumb and does he make the same movie over and over again? Yeah. So? lol. I still like him...

I didn't care for The Waterboy, but I love Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and Big Daddy was good too.

My best friend saw Mr. Deeds. He says it's funny. He sounded like he enjoyed it, but nothing special. I imagine it's a 3 star comedy, for the teen audience that is. I guess other groups may not like it as much.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 30th, 2002, 04:00:53 PM
I've liked most of his movies, but I still might catch this one on DVD, don't really have the time to see it in theaters.

JonathanLB
Jun 30th, 2002, 04:03:37 PM
Good call. :)

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 30th, 2002, 04:11:42 PM
I have seen everyone of his movies except for Waterboy in Theaters and that is far from my favorite, I liked Happy Gilmore the best, the whole Bob Barker fight is worth it alone.

Sanis Prent
Jun 30th, 2002, 06:00:37 PM
I hated Big Daddy. It was like somebody put a giant kick in the nuts onto film, and transferred the pain to me. If this is like that one, then forget it.

BUFFJEDI
Jun 30th, 2002, 07:28:37 PM
Big daddy was horrid . Nothing funny at all about it. the little kid was dorky (sorry kid ) and sandler was not funny. Happy on the other hand was great , but than agian I think I liked it mastly because i love carl weathers and happy remined me of me on the golf course. as for water boy , the best thing about it was The FONZ Aeeehhhhhh!!!

JonathanLB
Jul 1st, 2002, 05:37:24 AM
Big Daddy was quite good. It was really funny, I enjoyed it. Quite a charming comedy deserving of a solid 3 star rating.

I just saw Mr. Deeds. It's REALLY good, it's a 3.5 star comedy in my book, as much as I was deadset against letting it have 3.5 stars. I told myself it would not get above 3, no matter what, but come on, it's only fair to give a really funny comedy 3.5. It has its flaws, but ultimately I just don't care, the movie was so funny that it definitely can be considered a very good comedy. Sandler is BACK in a big way. Definitely well better than Big Daddy.

ReaperFett
Jul 1st, 2002, 07:03:54 AM
But you didnt answer the MAJOR question.....

How funny is Steve? :)

JMK
Jul 1st, 2002, 07:36:53 AM
I kinda liked Big Daddy too. Certainly better than the Waterboy. But nothing compares to Happy Gilmore!

JonathanLB
Jul 1st, 2002, 05:23:58 PM
Steve Buscemi is damn hilarious. I love that guy. He is in so many movies and he is definitely one of the best actors of our time, I think. He's a top 10 to 20 anyway. He's a hilarious guy, even in his serious roles, he's usually quite funny.

I feel bad because I'm supposed to be a harsh critic and act like no film that doesn't address the meaning of life is deserving of a good rating, but I'd give Mr. Deeds 3.5 stars. It was just too funny not to give it a great rating. Anyway, I gave Van Wilder 3.5, Orange County 3.5, and this is certainly in league with those, though not quite as good, so 3.5 is appropriate.

CMJ
Jul 1st, 2002, 08:39:25 PM
I freaking hate Adam Sandler. "Billy Madison" was awful...and "The Waterboy" was downright painful to watch.

I am avoiding "Mr. Deeds" like the plague.

JonathanLB
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:40:32 PM
What are you talking about?! Billy Madison is an absolute comedy classic, even for non-Sandler fans. The movie is awesome. I've never heard of anyone who didn't like it.

The Waterboy is pretty sorry, yeah, and his annoying accent is just grating, but Mr. Deeds is hilarious. I don't know how anyone could see that movie and not laugh through almost all of it. It's hilarious.

CMJ
Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:34:52 AM
Well Jonathan...there are many people that don't like "Madison" lemme assure you. The guy reminds me of a junior high class clown that never grew up....and I HATED those guys when I was younger...why should I think they're funny now? ;)

JonathanLB
Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:20:14 AM
Dude, everyone likes Billy Madison. It's hilarious.

Adam Sandler is awesome. He is hilarious in most of his movies, when he's not in a stupid film like The Waterboy or Little Nicky.

CMJ
Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:15:11 PM
The only Sandler film I've seen, that was decent was "The Wedding Singer"...at least he was half way normal in that one.

Jonathan..."everyone" is a hell of a generality. Believe me...I know many people who detest that man. If there was one "movie star" I'd like to beat the crap of it would be Adam Sandler(remember the "Fight Club" thread).

Charley
Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:31:03 PM
I loved the Wedding Singer...that was such a cute movie.

Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore were funny as hell, though not much beyond that.

Waterboy had its moments. Yeah, a good bit of it was lame, but it made me laugh on the whole.

Big Daddy...no...dear God no....