PDA

View Full Version : Is Scooby Doo a flop?

Darth23
Jun 30th, 2002, 01:03:18 PM
It's made 123 millinn so far, it cost about 120 million to make, including $35 million marketing costs, and in dropped 55% the second wekeend and 50% the third weekend.

It's playing in the most theaters right now, 3440, but it's only in 4th position.

There's already a sequel n the works. If it keeps plummeting like this they'll have to spend $80 million marketing the next one, I think.

Master Yoghurt
Jun 30th, 2002, 01:16:07 PM
I dont think it is a flop, but have you ever seen a movie open so big and drop so fast?

JonathanLB
Jun 30th, 2002, 01:25:53 PM
The Lost World, Speed 2, etc... lol.

But yeah, it's a dud. It was obvious this film was going to SUCK hardcore and sure enough, it did, so everyone stayed away after opening weekend. Anyone with EYES knew it would suck anyway, though, they just went to have something to do. I have done that plenty of times, before I was a critic. Just go to a movie because it's *something* to do, but this one really stunk according to moviegoers, hehe.

For Lost World to open at $72 million and $90 million in four days, then have difficulty reaching $200 million, that's pretty sad. Still, it made three times its opening number. That's really bad, but it's not HORRIBLE.

Speed 2 is horrible. It made 40% of its money from the first weekend, if I remember right. That takes absolute skill to suck that badly. Word of mouth usually takes more time ;)

ReaperFett
Jun 30th, 2002, 01:35:50 PM
I would say it isnt a flop, but didnt do well

Sanis Prent
Jun 30th, 2002, 01:37:54 PM
Yeah, its opening was rather monstrous. Interesting that this week, it seems to be sedated. The theater I work at should cut its theaters in half for the July 3rd openings.

Incidentally, everyone I've talked to has liked the movie. Nevertheless, I despised the cartoon, and have already seen the live-action premise done before in Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. I'd sooner see the Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood than watch this.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 30th, 2002, 02:12:54 PM
Ouch I am not sure if I go that far:p Have to say it is a disapointment at least in terms of how much it made, it will make 150 barely but will do less than 100 overseas (if Box office Mojo knows what it is talking about) I know one person who liked but my sister who took my nephew hated it, and my nephew wasn't at all thrilled by it either (and he is 3 which to me is a really bad sign).

JMK
Jun 30th, 2002, 04:21:53 PM
Don't "kids" movies often drop like this? Pokemon did it, no?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 30th, 2002, 04:42:55 PM
I WISH it could be considered a failure. We dont deserve crap movies like that

Darth23
Jun 30th, 2002, 06:14:52 PM
Originally posted by JMK
Don't "kids" movies often drop like this? Pokemon did it, no?

Kid/Family movies tend to drop less than the average movie - at least the ones with more modest openings.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 30th, 2002, 06:20:03 PM
Yes look at Lilo and Stitch it dropped but only 38% which is a lot better than what Scooby Droped

Jedieb
Jun 30th, 2002, 06:58:49 PM
I fit gets to $150 it'll easily be considered a success. SD also has a lot of merchandising going for it. Although, Warner Brothers & Cartoon Network were doing just fine with Scooby merchandise even without the movie. My son's got enough Scooby paraphanelia lying around to prove it. Rocky & Bullwinkle, that was a flop. Scooby is solid success. Nothing earthshatering, but a success.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 30th, 2002, 07:29:41 PM
And it could do better than Minority Report.

There is truly no justice

Jedieb
Jun 30th, 2002, 07:35:37 PM
That's just plain disturbing.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 30th, 2002, 09:31:42 PM
I'm starting to wonder ing the film going public are just plain stupid. Minority report just should be doing better.

JMK
Jul 1st, 2002, 07:24:26 AM
People certainly are stupid. That's a foregone conclusion. :)

ReaperFett
Jul 1st, 2002, 08:12:57 AM
People takes kids. Average number of kids used to be 2.4. So, if 10 families of a mum, dad and kids went, that would be 44 people. No kids go to MR. No parents taking their kids. It is just people wanting to go.

Yeah, parents are stupid, taking their kids to kid films. Whatever.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:21:21 AM
Yeah but its a bad kids film, hopefully Scooby won't beat out Lilo and Stitch and the world will be allright, right now it looks Lilo will make over 150 maybe 160-170.

ReaperFett
Jul 1st, 2002, 11:52:33 AM
Bad kids film or not, its a kids film, and if a kid wants to see it, the parents will take.

Darth23
Jul 1st, 2002, 03:35:33 PM
Speaking of fading movies, check out Mr Deeds opening 'first place' weekend:

Fri - 14.26 million
Sat - 12.82 million (-10%)
Sun - 10.07 million (-21%)

Looks like a bumpy road ahead. You'd think audiences would start to get of the marketing hype train eventually.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 1st, 2002, 09:59:59 PM
I noticed, I wonder what it will do next weekend, but considering its the 4th it actually might be okay, I think it will make it to 100 million just barely.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 2nd, 2002, 01:05:09 AM
I still liked Scooby Doo. Shame on you film snobs! ;) It was a fun movie, IMO.

*exits stage left* :D

JonathanLB
Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:25:02 AM
LOL, worst movie ever.

j/k, I still gotta see it, but it looks absolutely horrid. I can't believe you liked it, wow, hehe. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:58:28 AM
It wasn't an Oscar winner, or even an intelligent movie. But it was funny IMO! I like things that make me laugh.

Quadinaros
Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:35:15 AM
Didn't Scooby get an A- from exit polling? I could be mistaken, but I thought I read that somewhere after its opening weekend. I know when I took my son to it, the audience was really eating it up. I thought it was OK... :|

On the topic, I think Scoob has to be considered a solid hit, considering it's box office take so far.

JonathanLB
Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:49:06 AM
Everyone I know hated Scooby Doo, online and offline. Its declines do not do much for the idea that it has good word of mouth either. Nope, I think not.

Critics were not keen on it either. The sad thing is, anyone stupid enough to go see Scooby Doo opening night, when CinemaScore does their exit polling, is probably stupid enough to LIKE the movie too!

No offense to anyone who saw it opening night, lol.

Wow Mr. Deeds got an A- from CinemaScore, so does that mean it's as good as Spider-Man and AOTC? Hell no. Those ratings are hardly reliable. Scooby Doo apparently got a B+ from CinemaScore.

Man, people are so easy on these movies. B+ is a 3.5 star rating. Who the hell would give Scooby Doo 3.5 stars? Good lord.

For that matter, Mr. Deeds an A-? That is a four star rating. Uhh, no, I think not. I gave it 3.5, but that's a world away from four, lol.

Haha, Lilo and Stitch even got an A grade. So it's better than The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Spider-Man, AND The Matrix?

I mean come on, you have to take these ratings with a grain of salt because it's obvious people only rate the movies based on a very odd subjective scale, not like a critic would rate a movie. I rate any movie on the SAME exact scale. I don't say, "It's a four star movie FOR A KIDS MOVIE," uhh no, only a fool would do that. You rate it versus all other movies on the same scale of how good or bad it is, and that's what it gets. If you asked 100 people if Lilo and Stitch was a better movie than The Matrix, I doubt anyone who has seen both films would say Lilo and Stitch is better. Ok maybe 3 people. lol. Same goes with Attack of the Clones. That's why I don't trust CinemaScore much except to weed out the major duds from the fairly well-liked films.

ROTJ received a higher rating from audiences than AOTC and TPM, yet every poll I have ever seen proves that people like AOTC and TPM more than they like ROTJ, or at the very least, AOTC annihilated ROTJ and TPM and ROTJ are close. Unreliable, CinemaScore is. :)

Quadinaros
Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:59:12 AM
Jon, I agree that Cinemascore is in most cases worthless.

Originally posted by JonathanLB The sad thing is, anyone stupid enough to go see Scooby Doo opening night, when CinemaScore does their exit polling, is probably stupid enough to LIKE the movie too!

Thank God, I saw it on the second day. For a moment there, I was afraid I was stupid. :lol :lol

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:31:00 AM
Its like a car crash. You dont want to, but you have to take a look :)

Seriously, Im tempted to see it, but I dont have the excuse of kids to take. Although, me and my mate DID get funny looks when we went to see A Bugs Life and Small Soldiers :)

JonathanLB
Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:33:30 AM
"Its like a car crash. You dont want to, but you have to take a look"

Yes, exactly!

That's how I feel about a lot of movies. Just pure curiosity at how bad it is drives you to see it, haha.

Deuces Wild was more like a 10-car pileup. Good lord that movie is horrible.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:28:26 PM
Fett! Go see it!

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:37:03 PM
I might! :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:41:16 PM
Run, don't walk!! :)

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:56:49 PM
I'll take the bus :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:27:40 PM
ok fine. :)

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:30:52 PM
IF I go :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:57:02 PM
Yes but Fett, A Bugs Life was GOOD. Sccopy Poo does not deserve your money

JonathanLB
Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:58:37 PM
I agree with Marcus.

A Bug's Life WAS good. Actually I thought it was a 3.5 star movie. It wasn't my favorite of Pixar's work, but it was still good.

I love anything by Pixar. I've never given one of their movies less than 3.5 stars. TS and TS2 get 4 stars, Monsters, Inc. and A Bug's Life get 3.5.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:53:39 PM
Pixar definantly have an incredible strike rate right now. 4 films, no flops. All of them groundbreaking in their own way, all well recieved.

Amazing.

JonathanLB
Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:01:37 PM
It's amazing to have such consistent success. I don't think under their current management team they will ever have a failure. I think their work is just too good. As long as they take their time and pay attention to quality, they'll keep on hitting 1.000, hehe.