PDA

View Full Version : Good Grief!

Sage Hazzard
Jun 30th, 2002, 02:16:46 AM
Now I know how Charlie Brown feels. Everything's been going bad for me lately.

Okay, first thing's first. Netfirms, the server I was using for my message board, decided to "upgrade". I used to think only EZBoard could degrade and upgrade. Well, during this upgrade some files accidentally got erased and lost forever... oops! Well, since things have gone arry for me ever since I started with them, I said "forget it!" I also decided that Ikonboard was a little to troublesome as well, so I booted it. Plus, I lost my database (one of the erased files) and hadn't backed it up. Meaning that all my users, if I got the board back up, wouldn't be registered. They'd have to start over. Plus all forums and posts would be gone, including graphics I made, CSS, and color customization. Ugh, it was horrifying. So I went out and looked for a while...

Well, I found Spaceports.com. They're real nice people. Plus, they offered MySQL for the new board I was going to use. The board, phpBB, or phpBB2 as it's called because it's the newest version. Well, I finally figured out how to install it after two nights. It took me about two days to find the server and board service as well. So that's four days of grief. After lots of trial and error, it's finally working. Now, I have to make new graphics. Why? Because the graphics for phpBB are different than Ikonboard. Well, for the bulk I can just use the old ones, but there are new ones that are used in phpBB and not Ikonboard. Also, I need to mod my CSS for this board too. I was smart for a change, I saved the CSS on notepad as I went along on Ikonboard.

Well, I know nothing about CGI (Common Gateway Interface) or PHP (No clue what it means). But I somehow got it to work. Since the Ikonboard ran on full CGI, this is better. Because phpBB uses PHP stuff as well. That's supposed to be better I'm told. Even the Ikonboard people are developing their board for a php upgrade. It's supposed to be faster or something. Well, I can actually see the pages load faster with this one.

In closing, I have a lot of work to do. But it is working. That's why I haven't been posting lately but I will.

BTW, I just have to say, major thanks to the staff that run SWForums.net. Wow.... wow. I never knew how complicated or hard this stuff was. For you to be able to just do this stuff and not demand payment for your deeds or put up ads to create money for yourself... that's just great. I won't be having ads that aren't for the free server et cetera I'm using either but that's because heck... I'm just struggling and doing this for fun. You guys are doing this professionally and superbly. Really, thanks. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It's like "It's a Wonderful Life" with Jimmy Stewart. Except instead of knowing how important I am, I know how great you people are!

Avolon Bisel
Jul 5th, 2002, 01:17:56 AM
Now I'm feeling like Snoopy. Because my board's working properly. Should be open in about three days.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 5th, 2002, 04:26:47 AM
Happy dance time?

Azhure Darkstone
Jul 6th, 2002, 06:00:23 AM
*Dances without much prompting*

Gia Van Derveld
Jul 8th, 2002, 11:08:36 PM
HAPPY DANCE TIME!! :):)

:lol