PDA

View Full Version : More Movies?

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jun 28th, 2002, 07:32:55 PM
Rumor has it Lucas has agreed to make more movies after all the prequels, that will take place after ROTJ. Is this true?

Figrin D'an
Jun 28th, 2002, 07:54:28 PM
That's a rumor that has been flying around for a while now, but in a couple of different interviews, Lucas has said that after Episode III is done, he's going to add/change a few things in the original trilogy to improve the continuity of all six films, but that he has no intention of making "Episodes VII-IX."

Jedieb
Jun 28th, 2002, 07:57:47 PM
That's nothing more than wishful thinking. He hasn't said anything positive about that idea in decades.:(

JMK
Jun 29th, 2002, 04:00:45 PM
As a matter of fact, how many times have we heard him emphatically say NO to the idea of more movies?

darth_mcbain
Jul 1st, 2002, 12:20:06 PM
I've lost count, but I'm not holding my breath for any more SW after Ep. III.

ReaperFett
Jul 1st, 2002, 01:34:25 PM
Well, there is the Ewok movie DVDs, released after EP3 :)

Oh yeah, Shadows of the Empire :)

Anakin
Jul 2nd, 2002, 03:03:36 AM
In a recent interview with McCallum, I think it was indicated that a possibility for sequels is indeed possible, infact, very possibe. Check here (http://www.theforce.net/episode2/index.html#17303) and look around to find anything on this topic

Oriadin
Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:11:36 AM
Lucas has said that it takes 10 years to make a trilogy. I will be very suprised to see him do it. Saying that, Star Wars is an absolute banker for the studios. If Lucas doesnt make the final three then I think it would be worth a bet that someone else will.

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:25:55 AM
I think they will stop after EP3, and move to other things. Like SHadows of the Empire :)

Hunk
Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:00:54 AM
Don't forget the digitally remastered, DVD release of the Christmas Special.

darth_mcbain
Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:05:18 AM
Originally posted by Hunk
Don't forget the digitally remastered, DVD release of the Christmas Special.

Please no...

JMK
Jul 2nd, 2002, 10:22:50 AM
If Lucas doesn't make the next movies, no one will. No matter how bankable they are to studios. Lucas owns the rights to them, and unless he sells them or gives them away, there won't be any more movies.

Starquest aka AndyR
Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:05:38 AM
Lucas will die someday, then do the rights to the star wars franchise go to his heirs? or do they become open property?

I remember something with sherlock holmes and the author's rights... something about 50 years has to pass before the name becomes public domain... after the 50 years passed they came out with that "young sherlock holmes" movie.
food for thought.

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2002, 11:18:22 AM
Same for Elvis. 50 years after the last copyright IIRC

Oriadin
Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:54:11 AM
In any case, some film studio will get the rights. A star wars film is worth a fortune to a studio and they will pay a fortune to get it.

JMK
Jul 3rd, 2002, 06:37:58 AM
Well if it came to that, then I hope Lucas outlines many many stories instead of studios conjuring up something crappy.

Jedieb
Jul 3rd, 2002, 02:54:05 PM
If and when we get SW films in the future I think Lucas will have virtually no say in them. Especially if he's dead. I don't think he's leaving anything around to tell people what they should or shouldn't do. It'll be someone from Lucasfilm or the rights will become public domain and get snatched up by some studio. Then we'll either get remakes or new adventures. But we're talking about decades from now when we're all retired and wondering why we got jipped on social security.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 3rd, 2002, 04:00:50 PM
LOL Jedieb yeah I wouldn't be worried about SW films at that point :lol Back to Reaper's think Mccallum did hint at Shadows and other EU books turned into animated movies right? I think that would be a cool idea, maybe for some future TV station or something Lucas has been thinking about creating a station for his future work and animated movies based off the novels would be great.

JMK
Jul 3rd, 2002, 08:53:21 PM
I wouldn't want any further SW stuff to be counted with the movies. That would be like someone now writing "The Further Adventures of Jesus Christ".

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 3rd, 2002, 09:02:40 PM
Still I would like the animated stuff, it would just be extensions of the books so people still might call EU but at least it would be something new.

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jul 4th, 2002, 12:35:51 AM
George would be very smart later to make a Shadows of the Empire! It would be great!

Ki-Adi Kindo
Jul 4th, 2002, 12:39:11 AM
A prequel to Episode 1. EPISODE O= The Phantom Toddler. It could be about 5 year old Obi-Wan.

Marcus Telcontar
Jul 4th, 2002, 02:25:31 AM
Lucas will die someday, then do the rights to the star wars franchise go to his heirs? or do they become open property?

The rights are for the life of the holder of copyright and then 50 years, or 70 years if held by a corporation. Thence, Mickey Mouse becomes public domain next year. I understand Star Wars is licenced by Lucasfilm, so that means 70 years from 1977. If it wasnt for lawchanges a few years ago, Star wars would be Public Domain now. It used to be only 7 years, with 7 years extention of you wanted for a person, 50 years for a corporation.

Now in Public Domain NO-ONE can claim the rights. Thence, it wont matter what anyone wants, once the rights are public you can do basically what ever you want. However, a unique redering into a different format does aloow copyright to be replenished. for that medium. Also I think that in the case of Star wars, time of copyright beginning is actually 1997 because of the Special Editions allowed for a relicencing under legitimate chage rule.

In other words, dont look for Star Wars to become public domain in our lifetimes.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 4th, 2002, 10:42:25 AM
There has been some challenges to public domain, and some debate recently if the laws will change, nothing has happened about in the last few months that I know of though.

JMK
Jul 4th, 2002, 11:23:05 AM
In the end, I would be ok with anything LUCAS made, but I would prefer not to see any more movies, unless the original cast was put back together, and that would never happen.

If he did a CG animated SOTE, that would be cool. Just leave the movies as a sacred 6-part saga, the story of the Skywalker family.

Oriadin
Jul 9th, 2002, 07:52:44 AM
Id agree with you JMK. They should just leave it as the six eppisodes. As much as I love star wars and would love to see more and more and more, you can have to much of a good thing. Take it too far.

To a certain degree I was disapointed at the news of a Matrix sequal. Sure, im really looking forward to it and cant wait to see it but I think the first one was so good it may have been better to leave it on its own. A single shinning star. I guess I just fear that if the sequal isnt anywhere near as good as the first one it takes something away from the Matrix experience. Id feel the same way about more Star Wars movies if Lucas wasnt behind it.

At the end of the day, money talks. If someone has the will and the cash, I belive there will be another SW's movie after Eppisode III.

Darth_Ytnom
Jul 9th, 2002, 04:02:14 PM
Who knows... if Lucas is making money I dont see why he wouldnt allow someone to work with his trademark. He' s done it with the books. And Games. Look how many are out. Not to say that Someone else couldn't purchase the rights to create a new movie or Trilogy. For example for the New Jedi Order Luke (Mark Hamill) is right now the exact right age to play the part of himself, same with Leia Carrie Fisher. What if there was a Vector Prime movie?????????? Not ep 7? A new trilogy... Anyways that would be amazing!!!

Remember Lucas said (HE) will not be making any more SWars movies. This doesnt mean one of the book adaptations couldnt be purchased and directed by someone else. While paying royalties to Lucas, All he has to do is sit back and collect cheques, Exactly the same as he does with the books and games. He even APPROVES the books before they are published

Oriadin
Jul 10th, 2002, 03:08:00 AM
I think Lucas will be reluctant to just hand a star wars trillogy to someone else. Heres an article I found yesterday

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/film/newsid_2110000/2110630.stm