PDA

View Full Version : Now an actual new thread (techies required)

Miryan no Trunks
Jun 28th, 2002, 02:36:53 AM
Okiday, I have an inquiry to all you computer techie types.

Is there Any possible way to allocate some of my regular ram to my video card?

I'm curious, because I just got GTA3 and NeverWinter Nights yesterday, well, the 26th, and GTA3 is ugly yet quite playable, while NWN doesn't even pretend to be playable (.5 fps)

Important specs = Win98, p3 550, 320MB of ram, And some horrible little integrated demon spawn intel graphics chip that was designed to be fairly standard back when p120's were top end. Seriously, I checked the drivers.

Games like UT, Outcast, Ultimate Ride, and Doom work perfectally fine, and my computer doesn't even Try to have problems processing GTA3 and NWN, which leaves me with the conclusion that my likely 4MB video card that I cannot replace (God Bless Compaqs) needs some more MBs stuffed into it.

So I repeat, is that at ALL possible? Cause I'd really prefer that to having to save up cash for a new computer just to play NWN (and yes I would. It looks too sweet to ever return.)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 28th, 2002, 04:37:35 AM
Of you have an intergrated video chip your motherboard - possibly. Unlikely that your Compaq will do that however.

If you dont - No.

I say your likely to be saving up

Charley
Jun 28th, 2002, 05:47:52 AM
As DT said...doubtful.

You also have to make sure that the RAM is compatable. For instance, my computer can currently only accept SDRAM, but I'll likely get a video card with DDR on it. Don't ask me why I can do this. I think its voodoo magic or something.

Miryan no Trunks
Jun 28th, 2002, 05:50:20 AM
Yeah, that's about what I was figuring.. >_<

Oh well, fortunately, since that post, I found out that unlike what the compaq tech types said (which was, my vid card can't support openGL, best bet is get a new compaq) it DOES run openGL.

This is happy, because it boosts my speed from 1 frame every 2-3 seconds, to 3-5 fps. Which is actually playable in my books.

Still gonna be saving up though ¡^_¬

edit add-in:

It's probably just saying something about my computer, when I'm happy to be getting 3-5 fps in a game, and consider that playable, eh?

Morgan Evanar
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:33:49 AM
I'd say you're really drunk, and that artificially induced FSAA must look sharp.

Anyway, you probably have an i810, which lacks an AGP slot. (If you want to find out if you have an agp slot, open the computer up, and there should be a brown slot above the white ones, futher in from the back of the case. Video cards go in there.)

Charley, the reason DDR is on your vidcard and SDR is on your motherboard is because all the motherboard cares is that the card is AGP spec compliant. The memory subsystems are totally seperated.

Oooh, nevermind. If you do want a quick fix though, get a PCI GeForce MX of some sort. You can find them for ~ 50 online.

Seriously though, you'd be much better off geting a new computer entirely. But 50 beans for some short term satisfaction might be a very good idea.

Edit:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=list&catalog=289&DEPA=1

Here. I buy from either them or a company called mwave. $4 for FedEx shipping. So it will be $59 total.

Darth Viscera
Jun 28th, 2002, 06:54:38 AM
Return the compaq. Buy a computer at a local boutique or small computer shop. You'll get a much better bargain-an expandable system, a proper power supply, jeebus, the entire thing will likely be 2 steps up. Compaq just wants to jip you by selling trash that no one else will buy. A 135 watt power supply? Are you joking?

Local computer shop, and you'll have a computer that will last you quite a while, with a few upgrades.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 28th, 2002, 07:44:00 AM
Return it where? Its fairly obvious that he's had the PC for a good while. It would make a decent box for some things.

Darth Viscera
Jun 28th, 2002, 08:01:30 AM
Oh, he's had it for a while.

Well that's a new can of worms, then.

Use it as a linux gateway, or a DivX box.

Miryan no Trunks
Jun 28th, 2002, 03:32:05 PM
Had it since 99. Way back when I didn't know the evils of Compaqs, and didn't know that "integrated graphics" = bad

Will have to return the compaq eventually, It's on a lease, and like I said, I will most definately be pick&choosing my own computer this time. None of this company pre-made crap.

The only reason I haven't Already is lack of money.

And Morgan, I know it doesn't have an AGP, which is why I was hoping there was some miraculous way to allocate some ram to vram =) Heck, If it had an AGP, I'dve got me something better a Long time ago.

Morgan Evanar
Jun 28th, 2002, 03:37:10 PM
Well, I still think the PCI GeForce 2 MX would serve you pretty well if you want a quick fix.

Anyway, when you're ready to get a machine, just post. I've been doing this sort of thing since I was fourtreen, and I can recommend parts that play nicely for the dollar.

Khendon Sevon
Jun 28th, 2002, 04:31:07 PM
No I couldn't but i'll say it anywayz: I could do it w/ a computerized soddering iron... it'll get messy if done by hand...

COol Info (useless): (They sell graphic accelerators that you can add onto, but a couple need precise soddering, my cousin was telling me about them - you have to buy raw DDR and stuff)