PDA

View Full Version : share info on history of the sith

B-LoVeD AssAsSiN
Jun 26th, 2002, 01:20:52 PM
what i know is that there was this guy called Darth Bane on the council more than 4000 yrs ago and he started expirementing with stuff and basically discovered how the dark side seems to be stronger and how it's easier to use and alot of jedi adopted his method and the council didnt like and unanimously voted aggainst it and outlawed it so bane got mad and started a sith order with whoever would join and was intent on destroying the lightside but the good guys won and destroyed all the sith but one, who took on an apprentice and until the SW events there was always just master and apprentice waytching silently waiting to make a move.

Figrin D'an
Jun 26th, 2002, 03:23:37 PM
Not exactly...

According to the EU, Darth Bane was a sole survivor of the massive battle that took place at the famed Valley of the Jedi (the one that Kyle Katarn later saves from the Dark Jedi Jeric). The Sith, cornered on the planet by Lord Hoth's 'Army of Light', chose to use their combined powers to create a 'thought bomb.' When the Jedi army entered the Valley, the bomb was detonated, killing everyone and trapping the Force essences of everyone in the vacuum at the center of the blast.

Darth Bane, the lone survivor, went into hiding and instituted the policy of only two Sith at any one time (one master, one apprentice) because of the infighting that took place with the Sith ranks. The Sith would survive this way for a thousand years, until the time of Episode I, when Darth Sidious would begin to make his moves to take over the Republic.

The complete history of the Sith is much more extensive, stretching back more than 10000 years before the Battle of Yavin (as everything is typically measured). I have a reasonably good summarization I could post if you like. It's nowhere near complete or detailed, but it provides most of the basics.

All of this is, however, part of the EU, so it should be taken with a grain of salt...

Darth_Ytnom
Jun 27th, 2002, 09:06:14 AM
The Sith Originated from the planet of Korriban, A force sensitive planet where almost all beings have the force. This is where the dark lords originated. Darth Sidious traveled there to learn the ways of the sith, he also had a Sith Holocron which he used.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2002, 09:12:00 AM
Just one thing to bare in mind. The Sith backstory in TOTJ was actually done with the help of Lucas himself, who does read the comics apparently. So, it is reasonably accurate to what Lucas would want.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2002, 09:16:59 AM
George read the outlines for the new SW novels, but he actually read most of the comics and he gave us specific directions for the Sith in our TOTJ.

Quote from a KJA interview.

B-LoVeD AssAsSiN
Jun 27th, 2002, 09:34:47 AM
Ok, cool what I said was from the novelisation of TPM but I read it 3 years ago so i must have messed up on memory.
Could you plz post the complete Sith history?

Figrin D'an
Jun 27th, 2002, 10:56:36 AM
This is actually the short, short version... there is a lot of detail that goes into this, obviously, as told in the comics, novels, etc... I've just tried to capture the main important points.

In 'ancient times,' before detailed records were kept, there was a Great Schism within the Jedi. Several Jedi Knights who followed the principles of the dark were cast out of the ranks of the Jedi. After a century of war between the factions, the dark Jedi were defeated. The survivors took the remnants of their fleet and headed into uncharted space. It was here that the Dark Jedi came upon a primitive but powerful civilization known as the Sith. The dark Jedi would rule this civilization like gods and forge it into a powerful empire far from the Republic. As the centuries passed, both the rulers of the Sith Empire and the Jedi Knights forgot of the ancient war, as each civilization developed separately...

About 5000 years before Episode I's time frame, the Republic was in a state of expansion. The Jedi Knights and explorers charted much of the galaxy. For the most part, the Republic succeeded in unifying many races under a sovergn government. It was at this time that a brother and sister team of explorers, Gav and Jori Daragon, would rediscover the long lost dark Jedi faction. The two explorers arrived at the planet Korriban in the middle of a duel between Naga Sadow and Ludo Kressh, the two possible successors to replace the recently deceased Marka Ragnos as the ruler of the Sith Empire. Gav and Jori were arrested, accused of being Republic spies, and sentenced to death by a tribunal of Sith Lords, but Naga Sadow, seeing an opportunity to unite the Sith behind him, broke the explorers out of prison and made the Sith council believe that they were rescued by other Republic agents. Ludo Kressh would accuse Sadow of being a traitor and would attempt to crush Sadow's army in a surprise attack, but Sadow was ready. He subsequently defeated Kressh's force and would allow Jori Daragon to 'escape' from the war that would ensue. Jori and Gav's ship, however, contained a homing beacon that would lead Sadow and his unified Sith forces to the heart of the Republic. The ensuing battles between Sadow's Sith and Massassi warriors, the Republic and Jedi Knights, and the remaining forces loyal to Ludo Kressh, would become known as The Great Hyperspace War.

Ultimately, the Republic would destroy the Sadow and Kressh's forces, but Sadow himself would escape with a single ship. He evaded capture by the Jedi Knights and the Republic, eventually finding his way to Yavin IV. There, he and his Massassi warriors entombed his warship beneath a temple constructed in Sadow's honor. (The surviving Massassi would later build many more temples). Sadow, using Sith technology and sorcery, place himself in suspended animation, knowing that someday, another would come along to which he could pass on his legacy and realize the Golden Age of the Sith, as foretold by the Dark Lord Marka Ragnos. The great Jedi Master Ooroo, before his death in the war, would foretell events that would directly tie into the prophecies of Marka Ragnos...

Sadow's 'tomb' would be discovered 600 years later by an ambitious Jedi Knight named Freedon Nadd. Nadd would learn of the Sith arts from Sadow and would eventually leave Yavin IV to become the leader of the planet Onderon, whose people welcomed him openly. Nadd promised to eliminate any threat caused by the beasts of Dxun, creatures from a nearby moon that would terrorize and slaughter the populous. Nadd succeeded through use of Sith magics, but would become a tyrant ruler. Upon his death, his body was entombed and would become a focal point of dark-side power to be used by his descendants. Eventually, the Republic would expand into the Onderon system and the next bloody Jedi/Sith conflict would come to pass...

A powerful young Jedi Knight named Exar Kun made his way to Onderon and learn of the history of the Sith from the specter of Freedon Nadd. Kun eventually traveled to both the ancient Sith world of Korriban and to Yavin IV, acquiring a wealth of knowledge of Sith sorcery and dark-side techniques. Kun used the dark side to destroy Freedon Nadd's specter and declared himself Dark Lord of the Sith. Kun subjugated the Massassi civilization on Yavin IV and forced them to build more temples based upon ancient Sith architecture. Kun used his power to corrupt another powerful Jedi Knight named Ulic Qel-Droma and initiated the Sith War, one of the most horrific conflicts in galactic history and particularly devastating for the Jedi. Although they would eventually win the war, many great Jedi died during the conflict. Following the defeat of his primary forces, Kun knew that he could not stand against the combined might of the Jedi task force sent to eliminate him. In one final act, he used his Sith powers to imprison his spirit within the primary Massassi temple on Yavin IV. His spirit would remain entombed for four thousand years, until students of Luke Skywalker's Jedi Academy would accidentally release it...

In the centuries between the Sith War and the rule of Palpatine, the original Sith race vanished into history and would never be heard from again. The teachings of the Sith Lords, however, would live on and be continued by rogue Jedi and other Force-capable beings. The term 'Sith' would eventually be used to describe the cult dedicated to the Dark Side of the Force and the use of the Sith arts. Approximately 1000 years before Episode I, the Sith cult had grown powerful enough to wage war against the Republic and the Jedi. The Sith were powerful, but internal bickering and scheming led to their downfall. One of the few survivors of the internal warring, the Sith Lord Kaan, attempted one last offensive against the Jedi with an army of 20,000 Sith followers. A Jedi army, led by the great Jedi Master Lord Hoth, opposed the Sith at every turn, finally cornering the Sith on the planet Ruusan. The 'Brotherhood of Darkness', now one-tenth its original size, locked itself away in an underground base. Using their combined Sith powers, they created a 'thought bomb,' a highly concentrated center of Force energy capable of a violent explosion. As the Lord Hoth's 'Army of Light' entered the enemy camp within a deep valley, Kaan triggered the thought bomb. Both armies, as well as Lord Hoth and Kaan himself, were destroyed. The spirits of all the fallen warriors were sucked into a singular point by the vacuum created at the center of the blast. Here, the spirits became trapped at the center of what would become known as the 'Valley of the Jedi.' The spirits would remain here until one year after the Battle of Endor, to be released from their prison by Kyle Katarn, following his defeat of the Dark Jedi Jerec.

Believing that the last remnants of the Sith were destroyed, the Jedi moved on to other quests. However, one Sith Lord, Darth Bane, had survived and escaped before the thought bomb at Ruusan exploded. Bane would seek an apprentice and would go into hiding. Bane developed a strict code by which the Sith would survive for the next one thousand years. Stealth and secrecy were valued above all else. Bane dictated that from his rule onward, there would be no more than two Sith Lords at any time, one master and one apprentice. The Sith lineage would continue, surviving in secrecy until an opportune time to strike at the Jedi came to pass. That time would be at hand as Darth Sidious, a powerful Sith Lord, would use the failing government of the Republic as a puppet to ensure a new Sith empire…

Darth_Ytnom
Jun 27th, 2002, 03:56:48 PM
Whats TOTJ? Tales of the JEdi?

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2002, 04:06:49 PM
Yes

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 28th, 2002, 10:10:18 AM
Just curious what ever happened to Naga Sadow? Is he still in suspended animation somewhere?

Lady Vader
Jun 28th, 2002, 11:55:43 AM
I just happened to stumble across this while searching for something on this topic. Thought it interesting and worthy enough to share. :)

http://www.forceacademy.com/Dark/

EDIT: Stumbled across something else. I like this site. >D

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/TheBlackHand/

EDIT take 2: More stumbling... :rollin

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Guild/9916/sith_history.htm

EDIT take 3: *Stumbles yet again* OOF! :crack

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/7402/

Figrin D'an
Jun 28th, 2002, 01:42:39 PM
If I remember correctly, Sadow's spirit was released by Freedon Nadd when he first reached Yavin IV. Sadow taught him much of the ancient Sith techniques and sorcery, but nothing is every really said about what happens to Sadow's spirit after that. Once Nadd leaves Yavin IV, Sadow's spirit is never heard from again, as far as I know.

Note: Just checked in the Essential Chronology... it says that the fate of Sadow's spirit was unknown... My guess is that it eventually faded away into the Force, as the whole reason Sadow entombed his spirit with Sith magics in the first place was to preserve the knowledge of the Sith so as to pass it on to another he deemed worthy... I guess that would have been Freedon Nadd.

ChildOfTheForce
Jun 30th, 2002, 02:27:18 PM
There was something i found on the net, i dont remember where, saying that there was a Sith Race that used the darkside a long time before the Jedi where formed, before the time a hyperdrive was formed. does anyone know anything about this?

JediBoricua
Jun 30th, 2002, 03:58:46 PM
Actually you should try and get a copy of the essential chronology, it is really good, especially the part corcerning the history of the sith. I find the New Republic history to be badly written though, so you might get discouraged not to read the novels which IMO are very good, well most of them.

Anyway is a good buy and it's a great cross reference when reading any EU book.