PDA

View Full Version : TTT trailer and poster out

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2002, 06:56:21 AM
http://www.lordoftherings.net/images/tt_poster.jpg

Well, it aint as misleading as the LOTR one, which is good :)

The Trailer (http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=12584)

6.2MB

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 07:00:32 AM
I've finally got into the novel and so far I'm able to relate what's going on to where it happened in FOTR, but it is really different IMO. Did anyone else who read the novel find this?

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2002, 07:27:06 AM
Not read it :)

That trailers much better than the LOTR one, which felt like they were working towards fans of the book.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:02:31 AM
I've just started reading TTT. I read The Hobbit and FOTR just before the films came out because I wanted to give the original versions the headstart. I thought that the changes Jackson made were good decisions. You can't have a literal translation. There's just too much story. I thought Jackson did a good job of sticking to the story and keeping the SPIRIT of the novel intact. He can't make the movie for just Tolkien fanatics, he's got to make a movie non-readers can enjoy and I think he accomplished that. I'm heading over to see the trailer now.

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:06:06 AM
I feel the Aragon romance needed MUCH more, it just felt bolted on.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:12:19 AM
I thought Jackson gave more to the romance than the novel did. I never really got a sense of any real romance between the two characters. I thought he showed just enough to let you know the two characters were in love. There was more important things to cover than adding on love scenes that weren't even in the book to begin with.

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:20:31 AM
In that case, I wish it hadn't even been added. You know how in 80s action films, the hero would ALWAYS end up with someone? That's how it felt. It was as if they decided they needed it, so just had a lottery to pick who.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:24:50 AM
I see what you mean, but they had to establish that they were in love somehow. It's part of the story and in the long run is probably too major a part of the story to leave out. Better to get it established in the beginning than to have the characters suddenly end up together at the end of the third film. Not that I know that's going to happen, I don't know the whole story because I haven't finished the books. But I think this romance is akin to Han & Leia's. You have two major characters who end up together. It would be hard to leave that out and I think unfair to the book and its fans.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:27:03 AM
The biggest difference for me that I find in the novel version is the passage of time. Things seem to take alot longer in the novel. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but Frodo is like 50 years old in the novel, and so are his companions. And so far, they've had like 2 incidents and 1 scare with the Ringwraith on their way to meet Gandalf, whereas the movie had one run-in with a Ringwraith on the way to meet Gandalf. I can see how Jackson had to shorten all that up though.

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:37:56 AM
I think he's 50 in the film also. Hobbits just happen to age extremely well. Much like mysefl. :cool

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:42:49 AM
Really????? I assume that since there was never any mention of his age that he's got to be as old as mentioned in the novel, but geez, they do age really well. Much like some 5th grade teachers around here...:)

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:43:36 AM
I just finished watching the trailer. It was excellent. I will definitely be seeing this movie opening weekend. Like reaper said, it's got MAJOR spoilers so beware. I kind of knew the one at the end was coming, but it may upset some people so steer clear if you want to be surprised.

ReaperFett
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:45:16 AM
I didn't know it was coming :)

Doc Milo
Jun 25th, 2002, 09:51:15 AM
I remember that being shown in the footage added to FOTR, later in its run... I'm very surprised they would give that away in the trailers...

Arya Ravenwing
Jun 25th, 2002, 11:32:14 AM
Well if you've read the books, nothing is a give away. But as I haven't seen the trailer, I can't comment yet. :)

Figrin D'an
Jun 25th, 2002, 11:39:15 AM
I think Jackson figures that little "secrets" like that, for the average viewer, won't stay secret long because the story is already there and available for everyone to read. All it takes is picking up the books, reading info on a website, or overhearing a conversation by Tolkien fans.

I honestly think I may have to go to a late show on Christmas Day to see this film, as soon as the little family Christmas gathering is over. I don't think I could wait a day longer, knowing that it is out in theatres. :)

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 11:54:44 AM
Now that I know there's a huge surprise, I don't know whether I should keep reading or wait for the movie! I'd like to avoid the trailer and stay spoiler free, but I know that it won't happen.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 25th, 2002, 12:19:00 PM
I am trying to download it now, can't wait to see it. One thing the biggest difference between the TTT the novel vs the film I would guess is going to be the difference in how it is told. In the book Tolkein splits it up, the first half deals with Aragon, Gandalf, etc. The second half deals with Frodo and Sam. I think it would work better in a movie though to deal with it chronologically.

Figrin D'an
Jun 25th, 2002, 12:33:24 PM
Interesting... at the end of the trailer, it says the film opens on Dec. 18th, not Dec. 25th as every other source has listed thus far. Let's hope that is correct... I really don't want it to open on Christmas Day...

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 25th, 2002, 12:42:36 PM
I just watched it was great, I also saw that Dec 18 date I bet they moved it up because of it falling on Christmas, it would have been bad for the box office. As far as the end it really didn't surprise me but then again I knew he was coming back so of course it wouldn't.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 01:02:09 PM
I'd prefer not to see it on Christmas day either. I saw Home Alone on Christmas day way back when and it kind of takes away from the day that its supposed to be.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 25th, 2002, 04:16:00 PM
From the disappearance of Bilbo from Bag End to the beginning Frodo and company's quest is within a 17-18 year period. Frodo is about 50 years old when he leaves Bag End.

I am so anticipating this movie and have read the whole LOTR trilogy! TTT is an incredible read and am looking forward to seeing Treebeard and the ents, Helm's Deep, Shelob and her lair, more Uruk-hai, and MORE Gollum. Yes Gollum is one of the most incredible characters in the second book.

I really love TTT and ROTK! The trilogy as a whole is an awesome classic!

Helenias Evenstar
Jun 25th, 2002, 04:36:46 PM
* Drool *

* Drool *

** Drool **

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 25th, 2002, 04:43:11 PM
* Drool *

* Drool *

** Drool **

:: chuckles ::

Jedieb
Jun 25th, 2002, 06:43:07 PM
I just didn't believe we had seen the end of Gandalf. I had a strong feeling he was coming back. I'm going to be signing off soon to spend a couple of hours reading TTT. I'm just at the beginning and I'm enjoying it. I didn't mind the end of the trailer because I expected to see Gandalf return.

JMK
Jun 25th, 2002, 07:10:26 PM
I knew he was coming back too. That's the one and only thing I know about TTT.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 25th, 2002, 08:29:57 PM
I won't say anything more because TTT is just a really great book but will say enjoy your read Jedieb. I am hoping the trailer didn't spoil anyone on some of the surprises found in TTT. That would suck!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 26th, 2002, 01:25:41 AM
Read it 22 times.

F'king kick butt

Trailer rules. *Head explodes *

Severen Morkonis
Jun 26th, 2002, 01:45:18 AM
TTT will be better than FOTR due to the hype of the first film beaing so darn good. Its not just the profits and such its the atmosphere of the crowed and viewers that make it a good movie.

And the trailer just as the first movie did hen i was watching Harry potter in the Cinima gave me goose bumps....thats a sighn of another good Movie.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:35:12 AM
22 times??? *Head explodes*

U da man, Marcus! With a book so rich and mythic as Tolkien's LOTR, it requires many readings just to fully appreciate this great piece of literature. It is hard to envision fantasy and science fiction without Tolkien. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:36:25 AM
*ducks flying bits from Marcus' exploded head* Ew! Like, gross! :x

:lol I cannot wait to see this movie. CANNOT WAIT! Opening day I will see it. Even if I have to quit my job.

Okay well maybe not. But I'll be sulky at work if I miss seeing the movie.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:41:29 AM
:lol I echo your sentiments, LD! ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:52:07 AM
I'm going to line up in costume.

One of the best quotes about Tolkein was that it basically finished Fantasy and Myth fiction - because it perfected it. Now I dont know if I would go as far, but the back story to LOTR is amazing and intense. The Silmillarion is actually better - but depressing. It's very, very bittersweet, but one bloody good bit of writing. Unfinished tales is good too. Tolkein was a Language Professor and he invented Quenya to teach linguistics. It's amazing that he invented languages for his book! Quenya, Tengar, then all the maps and places.... every character has a backstory and a bloodline - except for Bombadil. He was put in to be a mystery.

Another thing that makes me realise I'm a touch of a Tolkein nut - I read LOTR first time when I was five.

Of course I have no idea how many times I read The Hobbit. 20+ at least.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:55:20 AM
I don't keep track of how many times I read books. I just read them again and again. :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 26th, 2002, 03:10:23 AM
I feel the Aragon romance needed MUCH more, it just felt bolted on.

In some ways it is - Arwen is a small character in the books, but the fact is that the Arwen / Aragorn romance is handled in an Appendix. And the scene on the bridge transcribes the appendix very, very well. One interesting point is that Arwen / Aragorn's union is the third one betwween the Elves and Men and closes a rift, plus marks the passing of the Elves into the Blessed Realm.

The first union was between Luthien and Beren - and is a bloody import bit of the Silmillarion, and as well is important to the Elves. Luthien is the daughter of Maia, or "angel" by the name of Melian. she was said to be the most beautiful whom ever walked Arda.

At their first meeting , Aragorn mistook Arwen for Luthien and ran to her calling Tinuviel. He thought he was dreaming and hence the dream reference.

The other link between Luthien and Arwen is that Luthien was named Tinuviel - Nightinggale or literally Dusk Singer. Her power of song was incredible. Arewen was called Evenstar - referring not only to her radiant beauty, but also to her descent: the evening star was the light of the last Silmaril, bound to the brow of her grandfather Eärendil.

Earendil was Aragorn's direct ancestor as well and he was an Half elven - his father was Tuor and his mother was Idril, an elf - the second union of Men and Elves.

Earendil's sons were Elrond and Elros. They were givne the choice - become Elven or be Men. Elrond chose Elvish and hence he is called the Half -Elf - he was in fact born mortal. Elros was the first king of Numenor, whose line produced Aragon.

Holy s.......... I know waaaaaay too much Tolkein for my own good.

JMK
Jun 26th, 2002, 09:12:04 AM
I'm reading the old copy I have now, and even though its slow right now, it is still some of the best writing I've ever had the pleasure of reading. I found this cool though, I got to page 110 or something, and I came across what I at first thought was just a small weed that had somehow fell into the book and remained there. So I just tossed it to the floor, but there is writing in pencil (very faint) now, and it read that it was a 4-leaf clover found on feb 9, 1979. I picked the weed back up and sure enough, its a 4 leaf clover, all wilted mind you, but I thought that was neat to come across something like that in a book like LOTR, especially since it had been there for so many years.

I once heard that Tolkien wrote LOTR based on one of the World Wars, and drew his inspirations from it. Is there any truth to that?

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:02:17 PM
He denied to his death but I wouldn't be suprised if it influenced him.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:15:18 PM
Tolkien denies being inspired by the real life events while composing LOTR in intervals between the years 1936-49. Here is the subject in his own words:

"An author cannot of course remain wholly unaffected by his experience, but the ways in which a story-germ uses the soil of experience are extremely complex, and attempts to define the process are at best guesses from evidence that is inadequate and ambiguous. It is also false, though naturally attractive, when the lives of an author and critic have overlapped, to suppose that the movements of thought or the events of times common to both were necessarily the most powerful influences. One has indeed personally to come under the shadow of war ot feel fully its oppression; but as the years go by it seems now often forgotten that to be caught in youth by 1914 was no less hideous an experience that to be involved in 1939 and the following years. By 1918 all but one of my close friends were dead. Or to take a less grievous matter: it has been supposed by some that 'The scouring of the Shire' reflects the situation in England at the time when I was finishing my tale. It does not. It is an essential part of the plot, foreseen from the outset, though in the event modified by the character of Saruman as developed in the story without, need I say, any allegorical significance or contemporary political reference whatsoever. It has indeed some basis in experience, though slender (for the economic situation was entirely different), and much further back. The country in which I lived in childhood was being shabbily destroyed before I was ten, in day when motor-cars were rare objects (I had never seen one) and men were still building suburban railways. Recently I saw in a paper a picture of the last decreptitude of the once thriving corn-mill beside it's pool that long ago seemed to me so important. I never liked the looks of the Young miller, but his father, the Old miller, had a black beard, and he was not named Sandyman."

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2002, 11:46:07 PM
Well as a historian I know events that happen in your life influence you if you know it or not, I am sure 9/11 will influence people in a very indirect way as I am sure the two world wars influence Tolkien the wars influenced everybody as the style of the writings of Hemingway and others shows that (read his works before and after WW 1 and you can tell). I really don't think he intenitonally based his stories off the war, I doubt that Sauron represents Hitler or anything like that but I am sure some of the events of the early 20th century influenced his writing.

Ilyn Pyke
Jun 27th, 2002, 07:08:48 PM
Hey folks, just found a great LOTR movie site with many, many pics.

The Quintessential Lord of the Rings Site (http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/movieshots/)

These movies are going to be so awesome. I am shakin with anticipation and oh yeah beware of potential spoilers. Beautiful panoramic scenes just like in the books, surreal and breathtaking, Middle-Earth comes to life. Check out the armor worn by the Rohirrim and the armies of Gondor.. friggin unbelievable. AWESOME! AWESOME! AWESOME!

EDIT NOTE: I placed in a better page in the above linkie, scroll down on the new page and click away on the lowest list found on the table of contents!

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 28th, 2002, 04:30:42 PM
Oh yeah, that site. Damn, it's a good one allright. There's a French site that's as good, but of course I cant work out where everything is. I click and get pot luck.

Rmiao
Jun 28th, 2002, 11:23:30 PM
awesome trailer, they got one of the towers wrong though.

Super Wookiee
Jul 3rd, 2002, 11:07:29 AM
If you watch the National Geographic Beyond the Moive for FOTR it makes the WW comparisons, as well as others, for the source material and inspiration behind LOTR.