PDA

View Full Version : Tatooine Ghost

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 24th, 2002, 09:21:45 PM
This comes out in Feburary it sounds really interesting

The past haunts Princess Leia as she looks forward to an uncertain future. The four-year old New Republic continues to grow, as does Leia's love for her husband, Han Solo. But despite his wants, Leia is determined not to have children, for fear of the uncertainty of the Skywalker bloodline.
An artifact from Alderaan containing secret codes used by the New Republic resurfaces at a shady Mos Espa auction, and Han and Leia voyage to Tatooine to secure it. While on the desert planet, Leia finds evidence of her father's past that cause her to rethink some of her firmest held beliefs.

Tatooine Ghost, a new hardcover novel by Troy Denning, is scheduled for release in February 2003.

Cool so will Leia find out about just his life on Tatooine or will she find out also about Padme, or will that be in a later novel. It looks likee time wise it comes after The Courtship of Princess Leia and before Heir to the Empire.

Densetsu Roninichi
Jun 25th, 2002, 02:02:22 PM
Hello Master Carr,
I'm sort of new here, at least under this name I am.

That sounds like a great book. Denning did a fine job with Star by Star IMO, so this should be no problem for him.

Perhaps some of what she finds out about Anakin will be along the lines of revealing he was a slave at one time, and since we have now seen it in EP II, that his mother (her grandmother) died a tragic death at the hands of the Tusken Raiders.
Really, after all that was exposed in EP II, the book more than the movie actually, they could really go in a million directions with what is revealed to Leia.

Thanks for the heads-up Master Carr.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 25th, 2002, 09:41:00 PM
Thanks I am curious about it too, I am also wondering how much they will go into the Prequels, I don't think Padme will be mentioned because Luke goes looking for his mother's world in the Black Fleet Crisis so I bet it will be like you said Anakin's slave life and the death of his mother. Now who will tell her? Watto will probably be dead, maybe Kister I bet he is still alive.

JMK
Jun 26th, 2002, 09:27:26 AM
Does Leia still hate Vader? Even after she found out she was his daughter? I know at one point she did, but I don't know if she ever accepted it. Maybe this will help her learn more about her dad and where he came from so she can eventually see how and why he became evil.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 26th, 2002, 02:22:15 PM
I know some of that was dealt with in Truce of Bakura, but I don't think it was completely resolved.

reaper63
Jun 26th, 2002, 04:18:41 PM
At the end of TAB, Leia came to terms with Her father being Vader, but She wasn't completely comfortable with it. Her not wanting children, to avoid the same thing happening stiull fits Although none of the Novels between then and this book dealt with it. Probably because Heir introduced the Twins.

I am so glad to have new material in this timeframe.
I just can't bring myself to read any of the NJO stuff, And mnost of the crap after the thrawn trilogy is also Crap. So, I'm happy to have something new to read :)

I'm hoping for a good read here.

ED

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:16:06 PM
When does this come out? I was thinking it came out tomorrow but wasn't sure?

RogueLeader
Mar 3rd, 2003, 03:44:50 PM
Master Carr,
Just out of curiousity, is there a thread in this board that talks about what EU books we dislike and love? If not, do you mind if I start one? My name's Jess by the way. Please all, don't call me RogueLeader. It's just my username....:rolleyes

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 3rd, 2003, 08:36:57 PM
sure Welcome to the board. I see you found one for the books you light, you can start one if you want for worst Eu book, there was a thread on that at one point, but that has been a while, and its okay if you want to start a new one.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 4th, 2003, 09:26:52 PM
I picked it up Today, haven't started reading it. It does sound interesting I am wondering who from Anakin's past might show up, at least they seem to be hinting at that in the book summary. I am thinking Kister since he would still be alive unless Toyardians live a lot longer than I think.

Jedi Master Carr
Mar 6th, 2003, 01:45:32 PM
Ok I just got finished reading it and I really like it it really resolved the matter between of Leia and her father here is my opinion on some of it it will be mostly spoilers The book starts off with Leia, Han Chewbacca, and C3p0 going to Tattooine in Mos Espa to buy this painting that holds a huge secert for the Rebels. I should say the book takes place between the Courtship of Princess Leia and Heir to the Empire. When they get there she runs into one Anakin's old Friends Kister he is about 50 now, she then finds out about Anakin and him winning the Boonta Eve Classic. He is still a huge hero on the planet. Leia has a lot of problems with this. She contacts Luke and asks him if he knew that Anakin was from Mos Espa, Luke is not surprised he had known about it he never told her because she never wanted to talk about their father.

Problems than occur the Imperials show up, under the command of Pellieon (though I think it was actually under the command of someone else more on that in a minute). Well Kister steals the painting and they go after him. They run into two other TPM characters Wald and Teemto (he is very old and has suffered a lot of injuries from pod racing). It is around this point that Leia discovers that Anakin was a slave, this shocks her really. Han decides to go after Kister himself and Leia and the others go to stay with Gavin Darkslighter's family who now own at the Lars Homestead. Why staying there she find a old journal she think belonged to Aunt Beru but it turns out it belonged to Shimi, her grandmother. Aunt Beru's sister tells her about Shimi and how she died and that Anakin had come there and found her body. She asked why there wasn't any gravestones, it turns out Owen had removed them my guess he didn't want Luke to know.

The Journal gives here a lot information she learns about Qui-Gon and how he took Anakin to be trained as a jedi. She also learns about Watto and how she Clegg Lars freed her and married that was some good background information about that for AOTC and it really kind of made you like Watto some more. During this time Han gets hurt and they have to travel with some herders to find Kister they discover that Tusken Raiders have him and they journey to their camp. They take a side trip to Obi-Wan's place, where she finds a datapad of his, which mentions the Outland Project (I think this is going to be brought up again in Zahn's novel coming out next year). Well they reach the Tusken camp and here she senses what Anakin did and she sees the remains of the Tusken bodies, this place has become a ritual thing for the Tuskens, I didn't get all of that it sounded like they would fight wars here or something. They have a shootout with the Imperials but they get Kister back and they leave. It is at this point that Leia comes to grips with her Father's legacy she realizes this from talking to Kister and Han. I really like what Han said, he felt it was Anakin's destinty to kill Palpatine and that if he had been a good guy he wouldn't have been able to kill him. Kister also tells Leia that Beru told him what Anakin said at his mothers grave about how sorry he was, and Kister felt he was showing remorse over the Tusken Massacre. It is after this that Leia finally decides to have children.

Other things in the novel there is no mention of Padme, or C3p0. I am assuming they don't want to bring either of them up, though in Padme's case I am guessing that nobody in novel really knew anything about her. With C3p0 well there are some loose ends that will have to be covered in episode 3. Also I am pretty certain that it was Grand Admiral Thrawn that was behind the Imprials, there are a lot of hints. Some of the imperials mention a new admiral in control, and during one shootout the commander there flees but before he does they see he has red eyes, my guess Thrawn was desperate for the painting because of the secerts it held. I think its good in between novel and is really good at answer some questions.

Jedieb
Apr 14th, 2003, 12:36:35 PM
I just finished TG last night. I've been behind on my reading but there's always a pretty big gap between books. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a much better read than Remnant.

I really think the novel was helped by having TPM and AOTC to draw from. It's always been a secret wish of mine that not a single EU page would have been written without all of the films being available. The, "we couldn't find any information from that time" excuse was always pretty lame. Two prequels are out and the first post ROTJ era novel turns up a journal from Shmi. Wow, what a coincidence!:rolleyes

It was definitely Thrawn in charge of the Imperials. I think that was pretty evident. At first, Thrawn only wanted the painting for to add to his collection at first. After Han tried to destroy it at the auction he realized there must have been something hidden in the painting.

They teased us as far as Thrawn goes. I really wish some of these EU authors would lighten up and let other writers play with their characters. I would have liked to have read what was going on aboard the Chimerra(sp?) between Thrawn, Palleon, and some of the other Imperials.

Overall, this was a great read. I really enjoyed the passages which covered Shmi's journal. Bring the story to the site of Anakin's Tusken massacre was a great touch. And seeing Chewie back in action was a bonus. I hope those early post ROTJ years get revisited again soon. Hell, I'd like to see a clean sweep of the EU someday and a fresh start.

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 1st, 2003, 11:24:17 PM
I read this.

I loved it!

It was one of the better EU novels I've read, and I've read quite a bit. I haven't paid NJO much attention since they killed off Borsk and Chewie and Anakin basically made a farce of everything that is good and holy. ;) Actually it is just too complicated for me to get the NJO all in a row and read it.

Tatooine Ghost was exhiliratingly awesome. I understand why Thrawn isn't really mentioned, as that leaves him still as a surprise when one reads the Zahn trilogy. However, who is going to read the Zahn trilogy only after reading this? Everyone who is going to read TG has already read the Heir to the Empire books, imo. Although for new readers it'll be a surprise still.

The Squibs were hilarious, making up for the lack of R2-D2 in the book. I enjoyed the humor of the text quite a bit.

The transition from Truce to Zahn is complete in this book. Of course, since Leia has Shmi's journal, now we get to wonder why its never mentioned after this occurance. Which, we know, but it makes continuity aggravating.

All in all , 5 stars out of 5. :D

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:05:13 AM
I'm waiting for the Paperback for this. I'm not paying that much for a Denning novel :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Jul 4th, 2003, 12:29:12 PM
One word: LIBRARY

ReaperFett
Jul 4th, 2003, 12:44:50 PM
Never has SW novels :)

txa1265
Aug 27th, 2003, 12:04:39 PM
I just finished it as well. I don't read many EU books, and have come to dislike the NJO after reading a few of those. Recently I read Shatterpoint and Tatooine Ghost. Not having read Truce at Bakura I obviously missed on some history. But I thought it was good book - it is really a small story, with a personal journey intertwined. Characters we love were developed rather than altered at whim, and the effect was a deeper feeling towards them.

Mike

Jaina
Nov 15th, 2003, 09:46:36 AM
I agree. It was a fanomal (spelling?) book. I liked the way he brought in Kister and Anikin's other friends. And with the hologram. I like how we were kept hanging when Leia saw the hologram the first time. We didn't find out until she did. We did have a clue though. What other human boy won the Boonta Eve Classic? But it was still awsome.:cool . I't will be one that I buy WHEN it comes out in paperback. But the library will have to do for now. :(

ReaperFett
Nov 15th, 2003, 09:54:03 AM
A nice touch about this book is that It has a tie-in to The Unifying Force.

Master Yoghurt
Dec 13th, 2003, 06:55:15 PM
One word: LIBRARY

I wish my library had these kind of books. Star Wars EU seems to be totally ignored by librarians, despite the popularity.

Lilaena De'Ville
Dec 13th, 2003, 07:14:40 PM
I always do the search on the computer, and try to put holds on the SW books. When I'm in the mood to look for them. :) I've been on such a Pratchett kick lately I've let my SW EU reading slide. Plus, I don't have the time or the energy to invest in the NJO. :x

Lady Winter
Dec 23rd, 2003, 01:34:29 AM
I have TG, I just haven't finished reading it yet. By the sound of things, I should. :D