PDA

View Full Version : Who's watching the soccer?

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 20th, 2002, 11:00:43 PM
Engand v's Brazil.... this is going to be the game of the World Cup.

And Germany v's USa.... Good Luck USA! I doubt they'll win.... but hey could :)

AZDaizy
Jun 20th, 2002, 11:34:43 PM
Ohhhhhhhh yeaaaaaaah...whoever wins England v. Brazil is gonna win the whole thing. USA got beat by Germany 2-0 last time...but I think they are a much better team now! We'll see...

Dark Lord Dyzm
Jun 21st, 2002, 12:25:38 AM
Ah, don't worry, I sent the Germans a little suprise a couple days ago, with strick orders only to open it 20 minutes before the game... hehehehehehe

what did I send them you ask? Well... A TUB OF CHOCHOLATE!!! THICK Creamy, and Dark, still in a semi liquid stage! Enough for the entire team to feast on!!!

MAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Germans CAN NOT RESIT THE CHOCHOLATE!!!!
All except me. I have grown almost to hate chocholate, unless its mixed with something. LIke in Hot Chocholate, or Ice Cream toppings, or something mixed in with candy bars... Not Nuts though.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 01:14:03 AM
England 1-0

Agreed Daizy, whoever wins is most likey going to win it all. Even a goal down, I think Brazil have the strike power to regain the lead.

Arlenia Tavira
Jun 21st, 2002, 01:33:44 AM
Soccer? They call soccer soccer in Aussie Land? Not feetball, or whatever the others call it? Wow, maybe you aussies do know what you're doing :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 01:35:36 AM
Yep, it's called Soccer here.

Damn Brazil scored. 1-1

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:01:50 AM
Brazil 2-1

And they have had a send off.

Still, not looking good for England....

Live Wire
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:04:45 AM
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

*cries*

Quellin Vos
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:24:22 AM
And Brazil wins.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:27:17 AM
:: Would swear, but would be filtered ::

And I dont see the USA having a hope later tonight :/

Live Wire
Jun 21st, 2002, 02:36:23 AM
*sighs*

oh well....time for bed.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 03:00:11 AM
blooming Seaman *grumble*

Dont want to say that again :)

Oh well, we made them look average at times

Oriadin
Jun 21st, 2002, 05:32:50 AM
Im scottish so Im chuffed to bits that brazil won! Out of the teams left though id love to see Korea win it. They have been superb hosts and the team is so energentic and great to watch.

Oh, and its FOOTBALL. Not Soccer and definitely not feetball, whats all that about?

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 05:44:49 AM
Got to love the bitter Scots. I mean, it's all they can do in the World Cup once the first round wins, cheer against the ENglish ;)

Sanis Prent
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:08:45 AM
(Gives DT kudos for properly naming the sport)

Oriadin
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:12:09 AM
Fett: It keeps us interested when we get knocked out or dont qualify! :D

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:15:56 AM
Ahhh, THATS why it seems constant! :) ;) :D

Oriadin
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:25:07 AM
Every four years infact!
Every two if you include the European competitions!

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:26:58 AM
(Gives DT kudos for properly naming the sport)

Football was called Football first. AMERICAN Football stole the name. Get original! :)

Oriadin
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:48:52 AM
Also, the sport was invented in England and the English call it Football.

Its like saying the brits play Baseball but were gonna call it Rounders and thats its real name.

I think not.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 06:57:37 AM
I mean, FOOTball is a game where the main way to move the ball is your HANDS? Surely you'd call it HANDBALL? Oh wait, that's taken too. Not that it stops you ;)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:52:39 AM
Sanis : Fraid the Scotsman and the Brit are right. It's called Soccer in places like Australia cause Football means Rugby League or AFL - Soccer is not a huge sport.

It's an insult to Football to associate Gridiron with that name.

Damn it Germany did win. They deserved it however, played quite well. USA played with a lot of passion (Dare I say it - like a South American team), but just not quite good enough. They have some damn good players tho and the USA goalkeeper is a class act. It would not surprise me to see the USA go further next time around.

Who's playing tomorrow night? South Korea and Belgium, Turkey vs Senegal.

GOOOOO Senegal!

Sith Ahnk
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:02:26 AM
Rugby, thats a bring-your-own-balls kinda sport :ghost :ghost :ghost

Oriadin
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:03:42 AM
Im afraid im gonna have to side with Turkey. Aston Villa have a player whos in the Turkey side so Im rooting for him. Until they play Korea that is!

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:14:35 AM
Have they? WHich one?

oh, Marcus, it's S Korea and Spain. Belgium nearly played England :)

They'll win it if they beat Korea

Oriadin
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:27:14 AM
Alpay Ozalan

Hes a center back. A pretty good one too. He got sent off in thier frist game though! Doh!

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:42:42 AM
Oh, was he the one that hit Rivaldo's leg, causing his face to explode? :)

Sanis Prent
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:00:05 AM
Bah, this is another one of those "My country has more tactical nuclear weapons than yours, therefore I win on default" arguments.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:01:56 AM
No it isnt. You stole the name, hence it has less validity :)

Sanis Prent
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:05:02 AM
You drive on the left side on the road and call it the correct way. What is your point?

In my experience, argument over sport or religion are wastes of breath.

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:15:25 AM
Then don't reply ;)

AZDaizy
Jun 21st, 2002, 12:38:46 PM

YAY Brazil won! :: does a little dance :: Oh...does anyone know why England's flag is suddenly a red cross on a white flag? And that red card was such ~!@#(*$(@#&!!!! It didn't even deserve a yellow card. Poo.

I told my dad to wake me up for the second game...but the alarm didn't go off =( I heard that USA dominated the whole first half. And that they scored a goal, it was just over the line, but a Germany player knocked it out with his hand, but they didn't call anything. But USA is getting better...next time...next time...

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 12:54:52 PM
Daizy, it was a STAMP. Instant red.

The US goal didnt cross the line IMO, but it was a DEFINATE handball. Germany would have lost without their Goalkeeper.

Oh...does anyone know why England's flag is suddenly a red cross on a white flag?
*narrows eyes*

Suddenly?

Lucifer
Jun 21st, 2002, 04:18:10 PM
Football is called Football over here cause you use your feet funny enough Sanis ;)...in American football you hardly ever use your feet...

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:02:42 PM
I dont know if it was a handball - definatly did not cross the line. And hell, it was close. From the replys, if it was a handballl, it was too doubtful. And I dont think it was deliberate if it was

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 07:16:36 PM
It all depends on if its hand-ball or ball-hand. If you could say his hand being there was an advantage for covering the goal, he should be off.

AZDaizy, I await your reply still. Im hoping you wont say what I think you'll say :)

Arlenia Tavira
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:08:03 PM
It's called soccer. Don't argue!

us = superpower
you = holding the hat of a superpower

our aircraft carriers = 2x bigger than yours, and 4x more plentiful
so mneh! :p

That said, we can name/rename all sports everywhere! And now, as an American and member of the DoD, I hereby decree that english football will henceforth be known as "groin ball". Please adjust the name of your Royal Academy accordingly :)

ReaperFett
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:13:33 PM
we're not holding your hat. It's just our fearless leader is the SMithers to your Mr Burns :)

Arlenia Tavira
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:18:22 PM
Excellent! Do vote for Mr. Blair on my behalf, won't you? He sounds like a rather charming fellow!

Lucifer
Jun 21st, 2002, 08:57:06 PM
Its called Football...we invented first thus its Football...plus if you look all so carefully...BIG SURPRISE...THERE USEING THERE FEET..--Gasp!--....In American football as i said..they use there hands more then there feet...THUS not football :).

US..super power...whoopy doo..look at that size of our empire 100 years ago if it was not for those bloody conservitives and them selling our colonies we to would be a super power...and lookat the size of our resourses and lands compaired to yours...also...AGAIN BIG SURPRISE if it was not for britian in the first place American would not be there atall...so please..give us brits a break

Arlenia Tavira
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:01:30 PM
I'm joking, Lucifer :) Fett knows that, plus it is my unique and most divine right to be the only truly obnoxious person here.

Kelt Simoson
Jun 21st, 2002, 11:05:04 PM
I was joking to :p

AZDaizy
Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:22:33 AM
:: shrugs :: I'm sorry...I did not see an intentional stomp. Anyways...Brazil played even better with only 10 players. Sorry, I'm not against England or anything, it's just that I lived for a little while in Brazil and I'm a little partial ;)

And like I said, I didn't see the second game...I just heard that it crossed the line :: shrugs again ::

And call me ignorant, but I've never seen the red cross flag thing for England. I'm really curious! I thought it was the nice red white and blue crossy thingee...

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 03:27:23 AM
Korea wins in a Penalty shootout!!!!

0_0

They play Germany in on of the Semis. Now Senegal v's Turkey for the last remaining spot.

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:04:14 AM
And call me ignorant, but I've never seen the red cross flag thing for England. I'm really curious! I thought it was the nice red white and blue crossy thingee...
Ignorant :)

http://www.fotw.ca/images/gb-eng.gifENGLAND
http://www.fotw.ca/images/gb-scotl.gifSCOTLAND
http://www.fotw.ca/images/gb-wales.gifWALES
http://www.fotw.ca/images/gb-ni.gifNORTHERN IRELAND

Are all under the:
http://www.fotw.ca/images/gb-3x5.gifUNION JACK

Elements from all. Blue background from Scotland. Red and White + cross from England. Red x cross from NI. Wales? Well, I suppose a dragon wouldnt fit :)

So in actual fact, the red and white IS England.

And YEAH KOREA! :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:28:07 AM
I get the feeling Senegal are going to lose their match. But whoever wins,..... Brazil will toast them

Oriadin
Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:49:42 PM
Being scottish, the one thing that gets on my nerves more than anything is the Union Jack being assumed as the English flags. It really gets on my ti.. erm, nerves! :D

Roddy Two
Jun 22nd, 2002, 12:56:04 PM
(can't...keep...eyes...open. topic....boring.)

(falls on his face)

Lucifer
Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:35:34 PM
Gets in position*

Warms up a slight bit, pops his neck*

Starts his fast run up*

Gets his foot in position*

Using the force Lucifers foot connects with roddy's butt*

Roddy flys out a window over a few trees and hits he ground several hundred feet away*

"AND STAY OUT ANNOYING FIEND!"

:lol

AZDaizy
Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:43:10 PM
Thank you for explaining :)

Sorry I'm so ignorant Oriadin, I guess that's not something we learn in school, heh.

Do you think Korea has a chance to win it all? I hope not. Not that I don't like the team, I just think they aren't as skilled compared to Brazil. I think they've had a lot of luck in the tournament. Luck...or payoffs...Fifa is so controversial now...it's sad.

So does anyone here actually play soccer?

Lucifer
Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:50:32 PM
Football.

Oriadin
Jun 22nd, 2002, 04:56:06 PM
I used to play a fair bit of football. Was never any good though! Im one of those strikers that dont do anything for the whole game and ends up popping up from no where and scoreing a goal. Mostly after ive missed about four sitters but I dont talk about them! :p

Its ok AZDaizy. You know now. Just dont let me hear you mix up England and the UK again! Ya hear!? :lol

Personally Id love to see S.Korea win the World Cup. To be honest I don think they will beat Germany or Brazil if they have to face them. They have rode their luck for sure but the effort the team has put in is excellent. They are by far the fittest team there and given thier hospitality and the fact that everyone thought they were rubbish I pat them on the back and wish them the best of luck.

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:01:12 PM
They can win it. To me, Brazil is a three player team. If Ronaldo has an off day and Rivaldo is sent off for saying a tap on the shoulder broke his ankle, you lose all three (Ronaldo clone being suspended). Then, Turkey could beat them

Azhure Darkstone
Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:39:52 PM
Im not much into soccer but I'd vouch for Germany.

Oriadin
Jun 22nd, 2002, 05:46:48 PM
grrr.

ITS FOOTBALL!!

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:01:34 PM
Im not much in to Soccer, but Im majorly into Football :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 06:35:02 PM
Actually, didnt Turkey play Brazil in the first fround and genuinely threaten to win?

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:11:34 PM
Yep, took the lead. Its the game where Rivaldo showed why he should have been kicked out the tournament :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:28:08 PM
Ooooooooh yeah.

I hope Turkey beat them this time

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:35:29 PM
Id love the irony of Rivaldo getting hurt badly, and being booked for diving :)

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:50:00 PM
And no one will have ANY sympathy at all.

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2002, 07:55:49 PM
Wed be laughing too much :)

AZDaizy
Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:43:47 PM
Am I the only one for Brazil? Heh...

I'm a keeper :D

I wonder where "soccer" originates from. You know how a lot of root words are greek and roman? Hmmm...

Darth Viscera
Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:26:32 AM
It's slang for association football, and the word was created in 1889. We shortened and altered it, of course, to soccer. Why not shorten it to football? Because in 1864 we dubbed the british sport of rugby, "football".

The British changed "associated football" to "football" in 1873. However, they forgot that "football" already existed (as the american form of rugby), and still haven't corrected that mistake.

Yes, I know, it's nonsensical. Things work differently in the correct parts of the world than they do in Britain.

Kelt Simoson
Jun 23rd, 2002, 06:13:12 AM
yeah right Visc...hmm...i forgot now..Fett...is it me or do they call FOOTball FOOTball cause you use your feet?..i forget now hmmm

Darth Viscera
Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:14:05 PM
All sports use feet. Your point? Feet are a vital part of the human anatomy, used in getting from point a to point b. As in the case of soccer.

ReaperFett
Jun 23rd, 2002, 12:50:46 PM
FOOTBALL because the predominant part of the anatomy to move the BALL is the FOOT. Aussie Rules Football? Great name. "This is football, but OUR style". Clever name. Strange the US didnt follow suit ;)

AZDaizy
Jun 23rd, 2002, 01:28:18 PM
Thank you Viscera, that was very helpful. You know what I like? The bumper sticker that says "Soccer players do it for 90 minutes"

Anyways...:D

Darth Viscera
Jun 24th, 2002, 01:56:54 AM
oh, now you're just grasping at straws!!

Lucifer
Jun 24th, 2002, 03:14:15 AM
no, no i dont think so hes just telling you a fact.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 24th, 2002, 04:17:41 AM
It was football long before William Webb Ellis, a student of the school of Rugby is reported to have picked up the ball and ran with it. Football is reported to be at least as old as Cricket and there are reports of organised Cricket matches in the 1200's. Face it, anythign else calling itself football pays homage to the original. Rugby or Rugger players would be deeply offended if you called their game football.

Kelt Simoson
Jun 24th, 2002, 04:29:40 AM
Well calling running with the ball in your hand "Football" is to me a little bit stupid. Rugby is rugby..football is football you got two diffrent things there. and dont care what you US peeps say...American Football has the sme principles as English rugby..so why call it football when you more often then not use your hands?...it does not add up.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 24th, 2002, 05:29:25 AM
What the USA play is Gridiron. Football it aint.

Kelt Simoson
Jun 24th, 2002, 05:32:33 AM
Pats Marcus on the back* even the ausse is agreeing with us.

ReaperFett
Jun 24th, 2002, 07:15:09 AM
Yeah, got to love the origins of Rugby. Boy cheats, and runs into the goal net. Rather than getting the swift caning he deserves, he gets credited for creating a sport. Typical:)

AZDaizy
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:55:21 AM
So anyways...Germany vs Brazil...what do you think?

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2002, 05:09:04 AM
Brazil

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 27th, 2002, 05:45:11 AM
Hmmmm....

Brazil

Kelt Simoson
Jun 27th, 2002, 06:22:42 AM
Brazil, if there defenders are on top form, germany if that Denio keeps running like a chickin

Anbira Hicchoru
Jun 27th, 2002, 06:25:08 AM
Germany, because I couldn't care less and I might as well be the voice of dissention :)

AZDaizy
Jun 27th, 2002, 12:42:42 PM
Wurd...I want Brazil to win. But watch...Germany will win and make us all feel like asses...:lol

imported_Lance Stormrider
Jun 27th, 2002, 01:46:13 PM
Lol, I predict the match between Brazil and Germany will be extremely boring due to Germany's extremely boring way of playting =_= I mean their so damn simple uhhhhhhh and Brazil is the opposite of that they always give such a great show =) but anyways HAVE FAITH YOU BRAZIL'll win!!!!

Sanis Prent
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:04:57 PM
Heyyy look....the grass....its growing.

AZDaizy
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:08:30 PM
...shush you :p

Sanis Prent
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:13:15 PM
If Soccer's horrible maiming quotient was higher, I might incidentally watch it as I'm passing from channel 75 to channel 76, or whatever exponent of ESPN they show it on.

I mean...I'm not a fan of crazy suicide freefall bicycling, or whatever they do in the "X-treme Games", but I watch...if only to see that one occasional guy wipe out, lose a leg, and wind up having it halfway jammed up his backside. Nobody watches to see somebody win. We watch for the injuries.

Light that soccer ball on fire, and give out 5 minute beatings for yellow cards, and hell yes, I'll be a soccer hooligan right there with you.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:15:00 PM
stop wearing all the padding like a bunch of girls, and Ill watch American Football :)

AZDaizy
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:20:10 PM
Ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaah ReaperFett! That's exactly what I say! :lol Except the bunch of girls part...what the hell is that supposed to mean?

Us soccer players don't need all those little breaks either. You try playing two 45 minute halfs with a measley 10-15 minute break in between. And no time outs.

Sanis Prent
Jun 27th, 2002, 02:24:38 PM
Human skull #1 travels with owner at 20 miles per hour
Human skull #2 travels with its owner, directly at human skull #1, at a similar 20 miles per hour.

Hitting head on, at combined speed of 40mph, without protection, kills both skull owners.

There's the pad thing :) yeah.

Rugby has body contact. Football has full-speed, head-on collision. I've played/watched both, and can see and feel the difference.

AZDaizy
Jun 30th, 2002, 01:41:36 PM
Okay aaaaaaaaanyways...yay Brazil! ::goes to celebrate for 3 days on Copa Cobana beach::

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 30th, 2002, 04:30:15 PM
ANNNNND Brazil wins!

Basicially Sanis in the USa, you play rugby a couple of levels below what other countries like Australia do. Full bore collisions? Yeap, happens. Al lot. They seem to live to hit each other another day.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 30th, 2002, 04:50:48 PM
Ok. You slip on the pads and play 4 quarters. You'll definitely feel the difference.

AZDaizy
Jun 30th, 2002, 05:23:55 PM
Okay...there's too much testosterone on this thread...:: inches slowly away ::

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 30th, 2002, 05:24:47 PM
And then miss the winger as he srints by to score? Nah. I'll pass. You need a get deal more footwork and manourability to really play Rugby than huge pads will allow.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Jun 30th, 2002, 05:26:25 PM
Don't knock it till you try it. Being as we're the only sport to practice 3 hours a day and 4 days a week for a single game, I'd say we're plenty enough agile.

Marcus Telcontar
Jun 30th, 2002, 05:26:58 PM
And we have our Brazilian programmer who just arrived in work - and boy, he's still drunk and absolutly hyper. This will be an interesting day :)